Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Running Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Had to have a second go after seeing my original lowly position move even more lowly....Much better second attempt today but with some caveats so i'll leave the judge decide.

Turned off all alerts and covered the watch. The plan was an easy run plus strides. Decided to take a different approach to my first attempt so this time i set off and tried to get a feel for how I felt and judge my pace. I figured i was in our around 8/8.10min mile pace so I tried to judge the route off that guesstimate. I figured I needed to finish up the easy part of the run by around 53mins and then do the strides and then stop the watch.

All went well, did the strides blindly counting out 20s strides and 1min recovery in my head. Did 6 x 20 of those and stopped the watch. 1:00:08.

Depends on how the judge views it. Probably my only chance to try it as I have a session tomorrow and a capped 50min recovery Friday. Saturday would be the same run as today and session Sunday.

Nice effort!!
    Just one question before you leapfrog practically the whole table!

How did you know you were at 53 mins to start the strides?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

13.82km in 54:27 :o, 3:56/km

I was at a bit of a loose end, so I decided to give this a go. The plan was to run 14km at 3 hour marathon pace, which if went to plan would be an hour give or take. I thought this pace/effort would be easier judge than a slow jog. Overcompensating for my extra winter weight meant I was way too fast. 5:33 off the target puts me straight in at the bottom of the table. The more than 5 minute gap probably shows how reliant on my watch I have become. But on the plus side, perhaps I’m not as out of shape as I thought I was.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4690460653.

zico10 wrote: »
    13.82km in 54:27 :o, 3:56/km

I was at a bit of a loose end, so I decided to give this a go. The plan was to run 14km at 3 hour marathon pace, which if went to plan would be an hour give or take. I thought this pace/effort would be easier judge than a slow jog. Overcompensating for my extra winter weight meant I was way too fast. 5:33 off the target puts me straight in at the bottom of the table. The more than 5 minute gap probably shows how reliant on my watch I have become. But on the plus side, perhaps I’m not as out of shape as I thought I was.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4690460653.

Oh to be able to run that pace for an hour! Thanks for taking part. Everyone who does gets at least a point. There will be more challenges to make it up. You want in for February?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

You want in for February?!

I don’t know what it is, but sign me up. It’s not like I’ve anything else to be focussing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Nice effort!!
    Just one question before you leapfrog practically the whole table!

How did you know you were at 53 mins to start the strides?

I estimated in advance that the strides usually take me roughly 7mins so in knew I'd look to be finishing the easy part of the run in 53mins. About a half mile into the start of the run I estimated I was running roughly 8 to 8.10ish pace so from that I reckoned i needed about 6.5miles. I knew from experiemce that my house to the lights by salesians was 2.7miles.then the loop around North circular was roughly 1.8miles. Up the hill and back down ennis road, looping around by the greenhills and up past my estate was roughly 2miles.

I didn't look at the watch from when I left the house to when I hit stop if that's what you're wondering ;)

Sounds all well calculated but like most people, a fluke.

No issue if its too sketchy though. Lol. Its easier if we all just hit go, run and hit stop.

• Advertisement

zico10 wrote: »
    I don’t know what it is, but sign me up. It’s not like I’ve anything else to be focussing on.

Your 10k or double your 5k rounded to nearest minute. Recent estimate ok. Just the number. Challenge will be revealed next week.

I estimated in advance that the strides usually take me roughly 7mins so in knew I'd look to be finishing the easy part of the run in 53mins. About a half mile into the start of the run I estimated I was running roughly 8 to 8.10ish pace so from that I reckoned i needed about 6.5miles. I knew from experiemce that my house to the lights by salesians was 2.7miles.then the loop around North circular was roughly 1.8miles. Up the hill and back down ennis road, looping around by the greenhills and up past my estate was roughly 2miles.

I didn't look at the watch from when I left the house to when I hit stop if that's what you're wondering ;)

Sounds all well calculated but like most people, a fluke.

No issue if its too sketchy though. Lol. Its easier if we all just hit go, run and hit stop.
    Fair enough. Had to ask since I quizzed dna leri too. Fair play though that was some fluke... all the top 4 are claiming flukes!

A few more to come in so I'll update the table again maybe once or twice before January closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Fair enough. Had to ask since I quizzed dna leri too. Fair play though that was some fluke... all the top 4 are claiming flukes!

A few more to come in so I'll update the table again maybe once or twice before January closes.

If you referring to me in that "top 4" comment..not sure if you are though...Mine wasn't a fluke. :p:D I did do some desk based homework looking at my splits etc on Saturday before my effort this morning and derived some "checkpoints" where I guessed if I'd been running +/- target pace since the last checkpoint and added up all my estimated +/- to tack on at the end. While I think it's all largely fluke, I'm not claiming that - if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Yeh interesting, I think its some good judging and experience on familiar routes as opposed to a fluke. I think if you landed on 60.00 exactly- thats a fluke. Bit like in golf, hit it within 3 feet and its a great shot, but a hole in one is considered a fluke.

Yeh interesting, I think its some good judging and experience on familiar routes as opposed to a fluke. I think if you landed on 60.00 exactly- thats a fluke. Bit like in golf, hit it within 3 feet and its a great shot, but a hole in one is considered a fluke.

Fair analogy! You gonna have a go?

• Advertisement

Fair analogy! You gonna have a go?

I'd like to. Seeing physio later in week so I'll see where i'm at then. I hope to give it a go over wkend. I'm intrigued by your February plan but if it involves intensity, I'd have to sit that one out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hey, I came up with that one first. :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115888285&postcount=302

haha, Fair enough. I must have missed that update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Ok I think I can submit this one. 55:10 would have had me at or near the bottom of the pile. 1:00:24 for the same course and distance.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4693550964

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Your 10k or double your 5k rounded to nearest minute. Recent estimate ok. Just the number. Challenge will be revealed next week.

Put me down too, 36.10 for 10k

January table update with 3 days to go. And confirmed participants for February Challenge :D

Important
    Those who commit to the February Challenge before it is revealed on Monday, will get 1 bonus point added to their score at the end of February, provided they actually complete the challenge :) A point for being brave :D

January Challenge Table

Pos|Runner|Result|Jan Pts
    1|Omeceron| -1sec|20
    1|BeginnerRunner| -1sec|20
    3|fletch| -5sec|19
    4|crisco10|-8sec|18
    4|Swashbuckler| +8sec|18
    4|Murph_D| -8sec|18
    4|healy1835| -8sec|18
    8|Unknown Unthought| -10sec|17
    9|shotgunmcos| +13sec|16
    10|Dudda| +17sec|15
    11|Comic Book Guy| +23sec|14
    12|Kander| -24sec|13
    12|Wubble Wubble| +24sec|13
    14|Annie get your Run| +26sec|12
    15|mister paul| +41sec|11
    16|skyblue46| +43sec|10
    17|En Passant| -44sec|9
    18|omicron| +49sec|8
    19|ReeReeG |-58sec|7
    20|Huzzah |+71sec|6
    21|Dubh Geannain| +79sec|5
    22|Zico10| +96sec|4
    23|jamule|-115sec|3
    24|Laineyfrecks| -126sec|2
    25|Pheredykes |-158sec|1
    26|dna_leri |+5sec|1 - outside rules
    27|eyrie| +76sec|1 - not validated

Locked in for February (1 Bonus Point to be added at end of February if Challenge completed)
    37 Swashbuckler
    58 AGYR
    42 Murph_D
    45 ReeReeG
    40 shotgunmcos
    37 crisco10
    44 Laineyfrecks
    45 Omeceron
    58 Pheredykes
    55 BeginnerRunner
    42 mister paul
    47 eposhea
    34 omicron
    35 dna_leri
    58 Huzzah!
    39 Comic Book Guy
    40 OOnegative
    37 Dubh Geannain
    50 eyrie
    36 jamule
    40 Kander
    34 healy1835
    40 fletch
    48 En Passant
    35 Zico10

Ok I think I can submit this one. 55:10 would have had me at or near the bottom of the pile. 1:00:24 for the same course and distance.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4693550964

Same birthday, same challenge time. Are we joined at the hip or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

January table update with 3 days to go. And confirmed participants for February Challenge :D

Important
    Those who commit to the February Challenge before it is revealed on Monday, will get 1 bonus point added to their score at the end of February, provided they actually complete the challenge :) A point for being brave :D

Oh my god I can't take the suspense any more!!! With all this hype, it better be good :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Put me down for number 40.

I'm gonna have to give this Jan challenge another go. I'm getting bumped down the list by people flukier than me :D

Was looking forward to seeing the updated table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

How have I missed this? Only 1 chance left so will have a go tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Was looking forward to seeing the updated table.

I preferred the table when there were less people and I was higher up it

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I preferred the table when there were less people and I was higher up it

I prefer the table where my awful first attempt doesn't exist anymore

To my point about being inclusive... Fastest person on the Board is Zico10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Murph_D wrote: »
    Same birthday, same challenge time. Are we joined at the hip or what?

:pac: Yeah I saw that, we've had a few of the same PBs over the years too. Still not often I get the better of ye though.

To my point about being inclusive... Fastest person on the Board is Zico10 :D

And positioned 23rd :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Stick me down for 34 for the Feb one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Eh guess I'm stuck with the time I have.. Brutal 3rd attempt :/

3rd time best for me. 59:52. Won’t claim the fluke - pure skill!

https://strava.app.link/edbga8qeqdb

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    3rd time best for me. 59:52. Won’t claim the fluke - pure skill!

https://strava.app.link/edbga8qeqdb

Saw this on Wubble Wubble's last attempt too, suspicious I am :pac:

What is the first blank split about (--:-- /km) :confused:

Advertisement