Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

January Running Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

One week to go! Those who bank points this month will certainly have a headstart on challenges to come. Some will be fun, some hard, some bizarre.

What I will say about the February challenge is you need to commit to a number.

How?
    Your current/recent/PB 10k time rounded to nearest minute
    Or
    Double your 5k time rounded to nearest minute.

Get them in this week! There will be a cut off!

Edit: As an example
    If your recent (within last year) 10k was 54:34, your number is 55
    If your recent 5k (Boards TT will do or more recent) was 17:17, your number is (2x 17:17) rounded to nearest number = 35

If you don't have a recent 5 or 10k, pick your next 5k or 10k goal. Doesn't matter what the number is, all fun :D

Not sure what I'm committing to but here goes...
    Last 5K was Boards TT in 17:40 :(
    ROUND(2*17:40) = 35

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eposhea

Glad I came across this thread - just t be clear, there is still time to do the 1 hour challenge?

For February - hell of a lot of easy slow runs in recent months, more for mental health - I do see a 46.20 over the last 12 months on Strava - so put me down for 47 please!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

dna_leri wrote: »
    Not uploading to Strava these days, below from Polar app.
    541028.jpg

Hmm thanks for the validation. Good to see some still use Polar.

I may be booed off the Forum for this :o

Problem I see here is although it was a 1hr effort, it was within a longer run. Rules stated it had to be a start watch, cover it, run for "an hour", stop the watch. Did you have to manually split it? Perhaps I'm missing something :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I'm 100% trying again this Thursday

My attempts keep getting worse :o

eposhea wrote: »
    Glad I came across this thread - just t be clear, there is still time to do the 1 hour challenge?

For February - hell of a lot of easy slow runs in recent months, more for mental health - I do see a 46.20 over the last 12 months on Strava - so put me down for 47 please!

Yes January Challenge is all the way up to Sunday. I'll lockdown 47 as your Feb Challenge number so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I'm 100% trying again this Thursday

I'll pace you if you return the favour on Sat?:eek::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Attempt 1 on the books! And it was a fair way off, so there will definitely be at least an Attempt 2. I'm doing the 30 min version because I haven't run longer than that in about 2 months :o. Clocked in at 31.16. Better effort (hopefully) to come!

Shotgun - thank you very much for starting this. That was the first time I've actually wanted to go out for a run, plus then enjoyed the run, since about October. I'm already excited to see what February's challenge is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

crisco10 wrote:
    I'll pace you if you return the favour on Sat?

Haha yeah totally within the rules :p

eyrie wrote: »
    Attempt 1 on the books! And it was a fair way off, so there will definitely be at least an Attempt 2. I'm doing the 30 min version because I haven't run longer than that in about 2 months :o. Clocked in at 31.16. Better effort (hopefully) to come!

Shotgun - thank you very much for starting this. That was the first time I've actually wanted to go out for a run, plus then enjoyed the run, since about October. I'm already excited to see what February's challenge is!

Awesome! Thank you too!

Good attempt there. Just so you know, it clocks you 3 points non validated (link or screen shot) or 9 points validated. Up to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

When can we start guessing what the feb challenge will be?

My guess is if you've given a 10k time, you have to run 5k in exactly 50% of it (or 5k / 2.5k).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Attempt 2 comes in at 1:00:23

In my head I was doing perfectly timed mile splits but looking at the times afterwards there was 31 seconds between the fastest and slowest split.
    I'll take the pure fluke though!

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/9pZ0jiBSmdb

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭omicron

New to the forum but following this thread all month so said I might as well make a stab at it yesterday.

Caveat is that I was running laps of a field and I knew that each lap was 0.41 miles and guessed I was running 7:30 pace so counted the laps til it added up, don't know is that cheating?!
    1:00: 49 was the time anyway and won't be getting any closer!

Haven't run a 10k recently, 5k times 2 and rounded up is 34 so put me down for that but I really hope the aim isn't to run a 34 min 10k dead on!

When can we start guessing what the feb challenge will be?

My guess is if you've given a 10k time, you have to run 5k in exactly 50% of it (or 5k / 2.5k).

I was thinking it might the seconds you have to do a 200m rep? Nor even sure how that lines up but doesn't seem mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

crisco10 wrote: »
    I was thinking it might the seconds you have to do a 200m rep? Nor even sure how that lines up but doesn't seem mad.

Amazingly, that occurred to me too this morning (after doing 200s).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    Amazingly, that occurred to me too this morning (after doing 200s).

But how would that require B in particular to be imaginative? Elevation related perhaps?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    But how would that require B in particular to be imaginative? Elevation related perhaps?

When I say it occurred to me, I quickly ruled it out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

When I say it occurred to me, I quickly ruled it out. ;)

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Tried this today. I didn't need to do any great mental arithmetic - I have a route that's approx 5 miles that takes me approximately an hour (yep, I'm very slow) at my easy pace.

It's the two "approximates" that caught me out. I can change the route up ever so slightly by changing the left turn I take off the North Road IN the PP. I think I actually knew when to stop, but pushed it on little bit further and ended up a good bit over. I did it in 1.01.10.

Plenty of January left to get it right :) Thanks, Shotgun, for setting up the challenge.

Going to attempt to validate this. Strava added a second, so I also need to downgrade my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

dna_leri wrote: »
    Had a go at this on my long run today.
    I have a "30 min trail run" I regularly do, so it was well suited.
    Did 2 laps yesterday in the ice in around 32 mins each but conditions were better today - not much ice but sloppy.
    I did a calibration lap first - did not check the watch until the lap was done and hit 6.1K in 30:43 - not bad.
    Picked it up a little on the next lap and clicked the watch as I went round but avoided the temptation to look - felt about right.
    First half of the lap is fairly flat so picked it up again here as I knew I would fade on the hillier 2nd half.
    Pushed a little on the final stretch as I thought I slowed too much.
    Then checked the watch - 30:12 + 29:53 = 60:05 - better than I expected
    I have not uploaded to Strava so I'll try again next week.
    Helps to keep the solo long runs interesting.
    Hmm thanks for the validation. Good to see some still use Polar.

I may be booed off the Forum for this :o

Problem I see here is although it was a 1hr effort, it was within a longer run. Rules stated it had to be a start watch, cover it, run for "an hour", stop the watch. Did you have to manually split it? Perhaps I'm missing something :confused:

Polar = Strava - social :)

Ya, it was within a longer run as above.
    Did manually split the 2 laps for later reference but kept it covered.
    I guess all these efforts are based on "runner's honour" anyway.
    If it's not within the rules no problem :cool:

Tried again this morning, same route, this time no buggy so no stopping for sure. Much better result. 59:52.

• Advertisement

January table update with 4 days to go. And confirmed participants for February Challenge :D

January Challenge Table

Pos|Runner|Result|Jan Pts
    1|Omeceron| -1sec|20
    1|BeginnerRunner| -1sec|20
    3|crisco10|-8sec|19
    3|Swashbuckler| +8sec|19
    5|Unknown Unthought| -10sec|18
    6|shotgunmcos| +13sec|17
    7|Dudda| +17sec|16
    8|Comic Book Guy| +23sec|15
    9|Kander| -24sec|14
    9|Murph_D| +24sec|14
    11|Annie get your Run| +26sec|13
    12|mister paul| +41sec|12
    13|skyblue46| +43sec|11
    14|En Passant| -44sec|10
    15|omicron| +49sec|9
    16|ReeReeG |-58sec|8
    17|Huzzah |+71sec|7
    18|Dubh Geannain| +79sec|6
    19|jamule|-115sec|5
    20|Laineyfrecks| -126sec|4
    21|Pheredykes |-158sec|3
    22|Zico10| -333sec|2
    23|dna_leri |+5sec|1 - outside rules
    24|eyrie| +76sec|1 - not validated

Locked in for February
    37 Swashbuckler
    58 AGYR
    42 Murph_D
    45 ReeReeG
    39 shotgunmcos
    37 crisco10
    44 Laineyfrecks
    45 Omeceron
    58 Pheredykes
    55 BeginnerRunner
    42 mister paul
    47 eposhea
    34 omicron
    35 dna_leri
    58 Huzzah!
    39 Comic Book Guy
    40 OOnegative
    37 Dubh Geannain
    50 eyrie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

January table update with 4 days to go. And confirmed participants for February Challenge :D

January Challenge Table

Pos|Runner|Result|Jan Pts
    1|Omeceron| -1sec|20
    1|BeginnerRunner| -1sec|20
    3|crisco10|-8sec|19
    4|Unknown Unthought| -10sec|18
    5|shotgunmcos| +13sec|17
    6|Dudda| +17sec|16
    7|Comic Book Guy| +23sec|15
    8|Kander| -24sec|14
    8|Murph_D| +24sec|14
    10|Annie get your Run| +26sec|13
    11|mister paul| +41sec|12
    12|skyblue46| +43sec|11
    13|omicron| +49sec|10
    14|ReeReeG |-58sec|9
    15|Huzzah |+71sec|8
    16|Dubh Geannain| +79sec|7
    17|jamule|-115sec|6
    18|Laineyfrecks| -126sec|5
    19|Swashbuckler| -181sec|4
    20|dna_leri |+5sec|3 - outside rules
    21|eyrie| +76sec|2 - not validated
    22|Pheredykes |+254sec|1 - not validated

Locked in for February
    37 Swashbuckler
    58 AGYR
    42 Murph_D
    45 ReeReeG
    39 shotgunmcos
    37 crisco10
    44 Laineyfrecks
    45 Omeceron
    58 Pheredykes
    55 BeginnerRunner
    42 mister paul
    47 eposhea
    34 omicron
    35 dna_leri
    58 Huzzah!
    39 Comic Book Guy
    40 OOnegative
    37 Dubh Geannain
    50 eyrie

Think I'll have to give this 1 more go on Sat :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Damn league tables. Happy to sit in the middle but if I'm getting pushed in to the relegation zone (with the loss of sponsorship that will lead too) I might have to have one more go. I have a suspicion I've got as close as I'm going to get though.

Me too. I'm dropping down the table rapidly!

Me too. I'm dropping down the table rapidly!

The table makes it all very harsh. At this rate, I'm half expecting to be out on Saturday and Sunday again. :eek::eek:

crisco10 wrote: »
    The table makes it all very harsh. At this rate, I'm half expecting to be out on Saturday and Sunday again. :eek::eek:

Eh, I think you are good! I get its competitive but if there are multiples of runners within 10sec I'll have my suspicions! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

I tried this today - I finished in 59.16

My route started and finished in Fairview. I estimated on my way back that I would need to do about 3 laps around the outside of Bram Stoker park at the end to get close to exactly 1 hour ... I should have done an extra lap!

Link https://www.strava.com/activities/4689254582

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Just went out for my second attempt - far worse than the first! I clearly overcompensated and sped up this time time because I stopped the watch at 27:06! And it was a different (and longer!) route than yesterday. Here's hoping the third time's a charm....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

2nd attempt. A little better.

https://strava.app.link/MTvqYDfiodb

Edit: damn, I didn't gain much. :o
    I'll have to try again on Friday or Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Had to have a second go after seeing my original lowly position move even more lowly....Much better second attempt today but with some caveats so i'll leave the judge decide.

Turned off all alerts and covered the watch. The plan was an easy run plus strides. Decided to take a different approach to my first attempt so this time i set off and tried to get a feel for how I felt and judge my pace. I figured i was in our around 8/8.10min mile pace so I tried to judge the route off that guesstimate. I figured I needed to finish up the easy part of the run by around 53mins and then do the strides and then stop the watch.

All went well, did the strides blindly counting out 20s strides and 1min recovery in my head. Did 6 x 20 of those and stopped the watch. 1:00:08.

Depends on how the judge views it. Probably my only chance to try it as I have a session tomorrow and a capped 50min recovery Friday. Saturday would be the same run as today and session Sunday.

Advertisement