Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow showers, 27th/28th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭highdef

Was there snow too?!

Gaoth Laidir's message doesn't suggest it. What made you think to ask the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

highdef wrote: »
    Gaoth Laidir's message doesn't suggest it. What made you think to ask the question?

This is snow showers thread for tomorrow and Monday. It was a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Okay, probably flew over the heads of a few...

...anyways, back on track. The 18Z GFS is showing potential for the back end of the second cold front to turn to snow as it sinks south later in the wee hours.

Cue the comments about the ground being too wet to take snow, but it does happen if snowfall is sustained and prolonged enough.

Any die-hards staying up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

BFS has snow in their TAF

“EGAA 261704Z 2618/2718 23020G35KT 9999 FEW015 SCT025 TEMPO 2618/2623 6000 RA BKN014 TEMPO 2618/2620 23028G45KT PROB40 TEMPO 2618/2623 4000 +RA RADZ BECMG 2620/2624 24014KT TEMPO 2700/2709 BKN007 PROB40 TEMPO 2700/2716 25017G27KT 1500 SHRASN -SHSN BKN003 TEMPO 2716/2718 0800 SHSN BKN000”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Temperatures coming down if somewhat slowly, radar picking up sleet although may not be falling as sleet at ground level.

https://wow.met.ie/

Netweather

gKSDMfB.png

4xnPa0T.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

From Met Éireann's aviation for 00Z tonight. SHowing a showery trough out to the northwest, with the 1000-ft zero istotherm at around 59N 11W (not shown).

Snow showers confined to the Scottish highlands for tonight.

537255.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Danno wrote: »
    Okay, probably flew over the heads of a few...

...anyways, back on track. The 18Z GFS is showing potential for the back end of the second cold front to turn to snow as it sinks south later in the wee hours.

Cue the comments about the ground being too wet to take snow, but it does happen if snowfall is sustained and prolonged enough.

Any die-hards staying up?

I'll stay up a while, might be some back edge flakes.

Yep, I posted in the wrong thread!

The UKMO's aviation chart for 06Z has an area including all but the midlands and southeast of Ireland in which it gives occasional heavy sleet and hail showers, with occasional heavy snow showers "mainly on mountains". Not allowed to post it due to copyright.

Temps gradually coming down. It will be interesting to see if there is any snow on the hills in the morning.

• Advertisement

Snow level falling now across Ulster and north Connaught

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Still a balmy 5.1c here in north Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Sleet/hail banging bedroom window here in Donegal, winter is here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock down to 3 degrees at midnight. Belmullet down to 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Moving into our first home tomorrow and have booked a van to bring up some furniture into Naas. Is it mainly just a wind event at the moment with snow/sleet showers due later in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shepards Delight

Claremorris reading 4c also . I do see a very wet sunday morning on the cards in this part of the country . Im expecting a deluge at 8-9 am . Tonight has calmed down alot from Storm Um b r ella . Ground is now saturated enough snow should appear soon going by the Weather Boffins . We shall see .😊

Snowing on glenshane pass already. https://trafficwatchni.com/twni/cameras

There seems to be negative dew points west of me but my dew point is stubbornly sticking to 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

red_bairn wrote: »
    Moving into our first home tomorrow and have booked a van to bring up some furniture into Naas. Is it mainly just a wind event at the moment with snow/sleet showers due later in the evening?

You won't see sleet or snow in Naas. Cold rain and bitter winds, but thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Really heavy rain the last hour in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Just had the first wintry type shower rattle through here not so long ago in central Mayo. Predominantly of hail but a few sleety flakes in the mix also.

Larbre34 wrote: »

MRGRUMPYPRINT_59883df8-2737-45a5-911d-c479c68079cd_grande.jpg?v=1555611992

• Advertisement

The showers will get more and more wintry throughout the night, sleet and snow to low levels by morning. Should be an interesting day tomorrow seeing who gets what and ends up on the right side of marginal.

Temperatures are down another degree, but dew points and wet bulbs are still positive (1.9c.). I checked local Weather Wunderground stations and they are all positive dew points, so I think the vasaila sites have a low humidity bias.

Met Éireann's 06Z chart is similar to the UKMO's. An occluded front approaching the far northwest, with frequent rain/hail showers, with occasional snow showers mainly on mountains. The 0-degree isotherm is at around 2000 ft throughout Ireland.

Hmm maybe I am being too optimistic but temps are gradually falling consistently. Wouldn’t <3c infer a freezing level of around 1500 feet?

I can definitely see snow falling to at least 100 metres by morning. Probably already snowing down to 200 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Hmm maybe I am being too optimistic but temps are gradually falling consistently. Wouldn’t <3c infer a freezing level of around 1500 feet?

I can definitely see snow falling to at least 100 metres by morning. Probably already snowing down to 200 metres.

A good rule of thumb is -0.5C per 100m. So ~3C at sea level would put freezing level at about 600m. This is the level where snow will stick and stay stuck. At lower levels there would be snow to wet snow to sleet to rain, with the snow zone compromising of gradually decreasing stickiness and stuckness properties

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Rougies wrote: »
    A good rule of thumb is -0.5C per 100m. So ~3C at sea level would put freezing level at about 600m. This is the level where snow will stick and stay stuck. At lower levels there would be snow to wet snow to sleet to rain, with the snow zone compromising of gradually decreasing stickiness and stuckness properties

True that, but you have to factor in heavier bursts that can bring down the freezing level, then couple in areas that can maintain a sub 1c air column because of geographical features.

It all gets messy in these marginal set-ups.

The ever eternal optimists cling on to these blind-spots. (I do sometimes too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Danno wrote: »
    True that, but you have to factor in heavier bursts that can bring down the freezing level, then couple in areas that can maintain a sub 1c air column because of geographical features.

It all gets messy in these marginal set-ups.

The ever eternal optimists cling on to these blind-spots. (I do sometimes too.)

Yeah of course, evaporative cooling is great. I would say most of Ireland's snowfall at low levels relies on it to sway the marginality in favour..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A sleet shower here in north east Kilkenny on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just got woken up by torrential hail in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Larbre34 wrote: »

:)

Advertisement