Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow showers, 27th/28th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Rain has turned to snow lol
    Where are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Johnstown in north Kilkenny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efT94xKfJM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Any chance if snow for north KILKENNY ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Lots of sleet in mid Kerry about two hours ago. Calmed down now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Mimon wrote: »
    Where are you?

For some reason he doesn't answer that particular question.

WBTs are now getting down in the business end in place for later. Let's hope they stay there as the cloud thickens. Latest weather still being reported as rain, but we should see a more wintry mix in a couple of hours.

Pressure is so low across the country, despite the relatively slack winds.

537310.png

537309.png

537308.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Snow back to rain complete waste of time this.

Snow warnings for Knock (EIKN) and Cork (EICK) airports. Hardly worth the bytes.

EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 270800/272300 SNOW FBL LESS THAN 1 CM FCST=
    EICK AD WRNG 01 VALID 271600/272200 SNOW FBL LESS THAN 1 CM FCST=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So you are just giving up. What happened to Coleraine's reputation for have the best weather on this Island:D

Snowing here at the moment. The snow is starting to stick!!

Unfortunately, it's dinner plate sized snow so am expecting it to turn back to rain shortly. Still it's nice to see it all the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pissing rain - Galway. Temp up almost a degree with its arrival. From 1.5c to 2.3c.

Pisspot.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Away from higher areas it was always Leinster and east Ulster with the better chance provided enough precipitation actually gets through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Where are you?

I'm assuming somewhere in the North or North West, anywhere from Letterkenny to Dungiven.

Rain has turned to snow lol

And this'll continue be the way as we continue to be locked into this contaminated air mass. Basically, what we are getting now is the legacy of previous Atlantic fronts just returning back to us from a slightly cooler direction.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    And this'll continue be the way as we continue to be locked into this contaminated air mass. Basically, what we are getting now is the legacy of previous Atlantic fronts just returning back to us from a slightly cooler direction.

Initally there was supposed to be a snow “event” then a warm sector appeared. Always seems to happen in these westerlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The snow shower has stopped now. A nice dusting has been left in its wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Always seen in these marginal setups, ends up going on the wrong side after awhile.

Or, if you're on the right side, the preip never reaches you! (being E coast bias here hehe :D:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Pissing rain - Galway. Temp up almost a degree with its arrival. From 1.5c to 2.3c.

Pisspot.

Icey rain for us, flirting with wet snow, loughrea will most likely get snow in this case.

TTLF wrote: »
    Always seen in these marginal setups, ends up going on the wrong side after awhile.

Or, if you're on the right side, the preip never reaches you! (being E coast bias here hehe :D:p)

The people inland (20 miles) and 200m do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Where are you?

You wont ever get an answer.... but its north of Magherafelt,..... Tobermore, Maghera neck of the woods, Sperrin country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks very sleety still. Still potential for later as well.

VWYIGSe.png

XlZm6eH.png

YFE1UXi.gif

temp_uk_yti6.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

What did you expect? Ten foot drifts? This is exactly as expected.

• Advertisement

Initally there was supposed to be a snow “event” then a warm sector appeared. Always seems to happen in these westerlies.

An actual mP westerly would produce far more than this in terms of pretty much anything, along with the added increase in the risk of a few sparks. We really are scraping the bottom of the barrel with this round.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32 polarhullar

loughside wrote: »
    You wont ever get an answer.... but its north of Magherafelt,..... Tobermore, Maghera neck of the woods, Sperrin country.

He is Limavady/Coleraine direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

loughside wrote: »

Why the secrecy? Hardly the equivalent of putting your address up. Strange.

Just had a very scary drive home from work. Heavy torrential rain, car being blown from side to side.

Freak event happened, raining and raining, 3c. Then when I hit my road temp immediately dropped to 1c and the rain turned into massive snowflakes. Never seen a transition like that before.

My sister is stuck on road her wheels are spinning in the snow. I don’t know what happened. It was raining and raining at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Thepillowman

Nice shower of snow at the moment in East Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Just had a very scary drive home from work. Heavy torrential rain, car being blown from side to side.

Freak event happened, raining and raining, 3c. Then when I hit my road temp immediately dropped to 1c and the rain turned into massive snowflakes.

My sister is stuck on road her wheels are spinning in the snow. I don’t know what happened. It was raining and raining at work.

Was that in Castletownwhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Snowing in North Offaly from that narrow band. Nice to see at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Why the secrecy? Hardly the equivalent of putting your address up. Strange.

It's a long story

Never seen a transition like that before. It was like clap, rain to snow.

• Advertisement

From Met Éireann's 00Z aviation chart.

537319.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

The sky is clear here in wexford, no chance of it snowing.

Would a downdraught cause that to happen? To temporarily bring the snow down from a high altitude?

As I say I was driving along and suddenly the temp on my car fell from 3c to 1c in a matter of seconds and rain to snow.

Would a downdraught cause that to happen? To temporarily bring the snow down from a high altitude?

As I say I was driving along and suddenly the temp on my car fell from 3c to 1c in a matter of seconds and rain to snow.

You expect people to answer your questions? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Icey rain for us, flirting with wet snow, loughrea will most likely get snow in this case.

Lovely description!

Gale approaching here. There has been abundant rain and hail during the aftervening. The ocean a sheer magnificence of racing breakers.

So good to see snow for so many!

• Advertisement

I’m curious to see how that happened because there isn’t a mechanism I.e a front for the temp to drop so drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Snowing quite heavily in East Westmeath. Just sticking to cars.

The self entitlement is funny all the same!

I’m curious to see how that happened because there isn’t a mechanism I.e a front for the temp to drop so drastically.

There is a mechanism. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that first band of rain/sleet has pretty much decayed to the point there is no precipitation going to reach here in Meath.

Another band is now pushing down from the north but it looks almost exclusively just cold rain with some sleet into Northern Ireland. Remains to be seen if this attempt makes it intact this far south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Snowing heavily around westmeath from what I am hearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Heavy sleet near Mallow.higher ground doing well I would think.

Gonzo wrote: »
    that first band of rain/sleet has pretty much decayed to the point there is no precipitation going to reach here in Meath.

Another band is now pushing down from the north but it looks almost exclusively just cold rain with some sleet into Northern Ireland. Remains to be seen if this attempt makes it intact this far south.

If only it was as clearcut as this, the Swiss Hi-res model. This chart is for right now. It's had a little too much wine...

537322.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Took the words out of my mouth

posting ever 2 mins and ignoring the comments going on around him!!
    Hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

That band fizzling out over meath is producing very light snow in my area, now if this was last night, we'd be in heaven and big trouble :)

Might bode well for that heavy looking precipitation on the ME radar, heading this way from the NW

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tr_18

Heavy snow just starting to fall in south Tipp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Tr_18 wrote: »
    Heavy snow just starting to fall in south Tipp
    Is there a chance that could make its way towards Wexford?

Light snow was being reported at Custume Barracks in Athlone at 1837. Anyone there to verify?
    SPECI EIAC 271837Z AUTO 24007KT 200V290 9999 -SN BKN007/// BKN051/// OVC110/// 01/00 Q0971=

Nothing reported at 1900.
    METAR EIAC 271900Z AUTO 25007KT 220V300 9999 FEW007/// BKN039/// OVC110/// 01/01 Q0971=

There is a mechanism. ;)

I am enquiring if it is possible for a downdraft to bring the snow level down temporarily rather than evaporative cooling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement