Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dry dog food available in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

lalalady wrote:
    Thanks odckdo, I am open to online or store. how much long would a 12/13kg bag last for an adult Cocker? Would you advise grain free to start or see how things go?

Its hard to say - just have a good read around and start with a small bag.

Depending on each foods feeding guidelines, a 12-15kg could last 1 adult cocker up to 3 months. Most dog foods kept in a proper sealed food container will keep for that time.

Also starting with a puppy food you need one with high protein of at least 30% so the higher the meat at the puppy stage the better.

Sometimes high meat/high protein adult food might be too rich for a dog (e.g. Orijen has 80% meat) and sometimes a regular meat & rice might suit a dog better. It's all trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lalalady

odckdo wrote: »
    Its hard to say - just have a good read around and start with a small bag.

Depending on each foods feeding guidelines, a 12-15kg could last 1 adult cocker up to 3 months. Most dog foods kept in a proper sealed food container will keep for that time.

Also starting with a puppy food you need one with high protein of at least 30% so the higher the meat at the puppy stage the better.

Sometimes high meat/high protein adult food might be too rich for a dog (e.g. Orijen has 80% meat) and sometimes a regular meat & rice might suit a dog better. It's all trial and error.

Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Thanks for all of the great, detailed responses on this thread. I recently adopted a puppy (approx. 5 months old) from a rescue. She was being fed with Maxi Zoo Multifit puppy. I was given a small pouch of this and transitioned her to Orijen Puppy over the last few days. My previous dogs were both on Orijen before they passed away. She really does not like the Orijen Puppy at all. She is slightly underweight as it is, and is scratching excessively. The vet has suggested that I try her on grain free kibble as she has had some bouts of upset tummy too.

The vet recommended the Champion Grain Free from DFD.ie. I will order some, but in the mean time can anyone tell me if the Champion Grain Free is the same as the Pet Essentials Grain Free food? As far as I can tell they are both branded products sourced from Golden Acre. Any other suggestions by the way? She is a terrier/poodle cross.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The vet recommended the Champion Grain Free from DFD.ie. I will order some, but in the mean time can anyone tell me if the Champion Grain Free is the same as the Pet Essentials Grain Free food? As far as I can tell they are both branded products sourced from Golden Acre. Any other suggestions by the way? She is a terrier/poodle cross.
    Well you could try to rule out chicken based kibble for let's say duck & potato or lamb & rice or similar combo (check that they don't contain chicken fat etc. though!) if she has a skin condition (i.e. could potentially be allergy related) and the classic of oily fish (salmon oil on top of sardines once a week for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Thanks Nody.

I brought her to Pet Essentials today as its local to me. They let her try a few of the different types of GF kibble (there was 4, I think). The only one she had any interest in was the PE branded Grain Free. She wolfed it down. I picked up a 2kg bag to try it. As she only had about three bites of her breakfast I measured her out some of the Grain Free and she demolished the whole bowl :O I was shocked. She has shown very little interest in food since she came to live with us, even the food we eat. During her fortnight on the Orijen it was painful to get her to eat anything.

So I will see how she gets on with the bag over the next fortnight. If she likes it and the itching lessens I'll pick up the 12kg bag in Pet Essentials. Gotta support local after all. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

hey guys just to let yous now pet mania in santry are doing taste of the wild for 62euro , I know its the same price as zooplus online but saves the delivery if somebodys stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

Hi all thinking of changing my 4 year old pug's food due to skin problems and itching which after some research, i think may be related to a food allergy. I have fed him royal canin for the last 4 years as after trying a number of different brands when he was a puppy this is the only one he would eat - he is a fussy git! Also I was led to believe it is a high quality food - only after reading up on it due to the itching did I realise this is not the case. I'm raging that I have been feeding him this for so long thinking it was the best when it wasn't.
    Anyway..Burns was recommended to me to help with the itching but after reading reviews on this I'm not so sure about it. Another brand im considering is Barking Heads which is meant be very good - natural ingredients, high ish meat content, no fillers etc. Anyone here ever used this brand?

I've read a bit about the grain free options but would rather a brand that I can pick up locally rather than ordering online. Barking heads is stocked in my local pet store.

Also with the kibble he gets either fresh chicken (he is ruined! :-)) or Cesar wet food. Any comments re this would be appreciated. Really want to try eliminate the itching/skin problems and I think getting his food right is key.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I fed Barking Heads up until 2 months ago. I used the lamb one but I think the salmon one is grain free *. The only reason I stopped was because I could only get it in NI or on zooplus uk site and the cost of sterling was just too much.

* Just checked and it contains oats, so not grain free.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry, also on the Ceaser - it's very, very poor quality and would be the first thing I would be eliminating if I had an itchy dog.

Has Barking Heads changed all it's recipes does any one know? The lamb one now contains barley and oats and I can't imagine ever wanting to feed that to my dogs!

• Advertisement

Has Barking Heads changed all it's recipes does any one know? The lamb one now contains barley and oats and I can't imagine ever wanting to feed that to my dogs!

I was wondering about that too. The ingredient listing seems to be different from BHs website and Zooplus. On the BHs site it now has barley, oats, etc included.

I was wondering about that too. The ingredient listing seems to be different from BHs website and Zooplus. On the BHs site it now has barley, oats, etc included.

See this re grain free from barking heads website
    http://www.barkingheads.co.uk/products/grain-free/

A bag lasted me about 4 months and the last time I ordered it I got two bags so it's almost a year since I bought it. Unfortunately I don't have an old bag to compare the ingredients list.

I fed Barking Heads up until 2 months ago. I used the lamb one but I think the salmon one is grain free *. The only reason I stopped was because I could only get it in NI or on zooplus uk site and the cost of sterling was just too much.

* Just checked and it contains oats, so not grain free.

Are you based in Dublin? If so the pet store on the belgard road beside the luas stop stocks barking heads.

I thought it contained grain too but see this re grain free from barking heads website?
    http://www.barkinghead...products/grain-free/

Sorry, also on the Ceaser - it's very, very poor quality and would be the first thing I would be eliminating if I had an itchy dog.

Thanks, yeah he gets very little of the ceasar. Only around 1 tin a week - a small amount mixed with his dry food to moisten it. But yeah maybe best to cut it out n just stick with dry food and chicken.

Jezzabelle wrote:
    I've read a bit about the grain free options but would rather a brand that I can pick up locally rather than ordering online. Barking heads is stocked in my local pet store.

When you say local, I think the only place you can get Barking Heads in a shop is Pet World Direct? BHs do grain free kibble aswell but shocking expensive. (Pet World have a sale on atm 10 euro off a bag).

Plus one on Ceser wet food especially with allergies.

If its Pet World they do grain free wet food versions like Forthglade, Natures Menu and Applaws which would be better.

I use wet food aswell just to vary their mealtimes. There are some good wet foods available these days with high meat content.

When you say local, I think the only place you can get Barking Heads in a shop is Pet World Direct? BHs do grain free kibble aswell but shocking expensive. (Pet World have a sale on atm 10 euro off a bag).

Plus one on Ceser wet food especially with allergies.

If its Pet World they do grain free wet food versions like Forthglade, Natures Menu and Applaws which would be better.

I use wet food aswell just to vary their mealtimes. There are some good wet foods available these days with high meat content.

See my link above - it's stocked in a pet store in Tallaght. Here is the link. Might be of use to people who order online as the sterling exchange is gone so bad now! They also do a loyalty scheme where you get a free bag of food for every 10 bags you buy..

http://www.petfooddepot.ie/findus.html

Any wet food you would recommend? It's handy to have when you don't have time to cook fresh meat. EDIT sorry I see you have mentioned the above - apologies! I will check them out

Jezzabelle wrote: »
    See this re grain free from barking heads website
    http://www.barkingheads.co.uk/products/grain-free/

It looks like they have added cheaper fillers to their existing range and brought out a new grain-free range, how strange! The salmon and potato contains oats though and oats are most definitely a grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Jezzabelle wrote:
    Anyway..Burns was recommended to me to help with the itching but after reading reviews on this I'm not so sure about it.

Really? We feed our dog Burns Hypoallergenic food and he's thriving on it. Between that and a decent brush, they're the two best things we bought for him to relieve itching. He has some form of dermatitis (vets don't know what exactly yet). I couldn't recommend it enough. There's an added bonus of the fact the dog practically does back flips with excitement when he's offered it and even started asking to be fed several times a day.

It looks like they have added cheaper fillers to their existing range and brought out a new grain-free range, how strange!

Yeah strange the guy in the pet shop today never mentioned grain free either so I thought it had some grain - but better types than others like royal canin. I will have another chat with him n see.
    Did you find your dogs ate the BH ok? My fella is so fussy I bet he won't eat them!

• Advertisement

sup_dude wrote: »
    Really? We feed our dog Burns Hypoallergenic food and he's thriving on it. Between that and a decent brush, they're the two best things we bought for him to relieve itching. He has some form of dermatitis (vets don't know what exactly yet). I couldn't recommend it enough. There's an added bonus of the fact the dog practically does back flips with excitement when he's offered it and even started asking to be fed several times a day.

Im just going by what I read on this website see attached and a few other places -saying it has a low meat content etc. I know it has a good reputation so i was surprised its only rated as a 3 star food on that site whereas barking heads is rated as 4 star. Others here who have knowledge than me might be able to comment re the ingredients. Though as you say your dog is thriving on it, I personally wouldn't worry!

Yes they ate it no problem except when I was switching over to Lukullus and then Teddy ate the new stuff and tried to bury the BH down the back of the couch! :rolleyes:

Yes they ate it no problem except when I was switching over to Lukullus and then Teddy ate the new stuff and tried to bury the BH down the back of the couch! :rolleyes:

Haha! I like his style :-). Thanks for your help. I'll look at switching him over soon and cut out the ceasar - I actually thought this was an OK thing to be giving him. I get the "country kitchen" one that says it has 45% meat so I thought it was good enough quality. And some of the the descriptions sound like something I would eat myself lol. Today he had "tender lamb with peas in a light herb sauce" damn marketing!😆

No it's 45% meat and animal derivatives. I certainly wouldn't recommend trying it yourself!

http://www.best-dog-food-review.com/67901/67927.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32 somewherenear

Hi all.

We were advised by the vet to put our dog on science plan weight control food as she is over weight and caged up after surgery. We are not happy with the amount of times she goes to the toilet on this food.

Our pet shop recommends acana light and fit. I don't want to make another mistake and have to change her food again. I am just wondering what people think of acana?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi all.

We were advised by the vet to put our dog on science plan weight control food as she is over weight and caged up after surgery. We are not happy with the amount of times she goes to the toilet on this food.

Our pet shop recommends acana light and fit. I don't want to make another mistake and have to change her food again. I am just wondering what people think of acana?

Thanks

I switched from champion grain free, which is excellent, to acana, just to see if she liked it. She loves it now, and actually prefers to treats. Last night she dropped a treat from her mouth to go eat her acana nuts

Jezzabelle wrote:
    See my link above - it's stocked in a pet store in Tallaght. Here is the link. Might be of use to people who order online as the sterling exchange is gone so bad now! They also do a loyalty scheme where you get a free bag of food for every 10 bags you buy..

I was typing my reply when you were typing thus the confusion! ☺

I had my dogs on the regular Barking Heads for a while. They liked it and did well on it. But if you are switching food because of allergies, as mentioned already the regular BHs might not suit maybe as the different formulas have some sort of grain?

Also I think BHs is expensive for what it is. I almost felt I was paying for their marketing department! On Zooplus it costs about 35 sterling but exchange rate is poor. In a Pet World Direct shop near me they put the price up to 66 euro for a 12kg bag. They sell grain free BHs for nearly 80 euro!!!

You say you want to buy locally, I don't use it myself but dogfooddirect in Dublin do a well reviewed grain free food for 50 euro. The thing is that this food and BHs is made in the same factory in the UK called Golden Acres. I think then alot of the ingredients would be the same in both foods but with dogfooddirect you are not paying for the marketing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I have a dog here with severe skin issues since spaying. I tried everything with no success. I moved her to the Grainfree Salmon/ Trout from DFD & she is like a different dog & is now starting to grow her undercoat back.

Need another solution , Im feeding my German shepherd pup taste of the wild and hes going through a bag like a train , Financially im in a situation that i cannot aford 65 euro every 3 weeks for a 35kg bag at the moment . Ideally i am looking at 50euro for a bigger bag of food.

• Advertisement

sorry 13.5kg bag

Advertisement