Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Good post. People I feel most sorry for in this are the people who have died, the bereaved, people losing their business, people losing their jobs and the likes of Vradakar, Harris, Holohan et al who had to make state-changing decisions. People who are outraged because they can't fly to Spain or go on the piss in a pub are just pampered fools.

The reality is that, prior to the outbreak, most of those who died were already staring down the barrel of a gun and the bereaved had already thought about the impending loss. And if you feel sorry for Varadkar, Holohan, et all, then it is you who is the fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Why should you. No one should.
    That's the point.

This is Boards where people cant help themselves but get wound up by others. A bit like Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

alta stare wrote: »
    You seem to care enough to insult me. Have i touched a nerve?

Nope.

polesheep wrote: »
    The reality is that, prior to the outbreak, most of those who died were already staring down the barrel of a gun and the bereaved had already thought about the impending loss. And if you feel sorry for Varadkar, Holohan, et all, then it is you who is the fool.

They had to make life-changing decisions. If you can't understand that then that's okay. People with an exaggerated sense of entitlement can get blinded by their shallow outrage.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Well within my limit, I have a social consideration, I checked.

A public discussion forum is everyone's business who decide to make it so. Or do you just want an echo chamber?

Phoenix Park is more than 5km from Stephens Green. Unless you literally went in the gate at the courts and stopped.

And that’s assuming you live on Stephens Green.

You practically admitted to breaking the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

They had to make life-changing decisions. If you can't understand that then that's okay. People with an exaggerated sense of entitlement can get blinded by their shallow outrage.

That's their job.

I don't understand the meaning of your last sentence.

Nope.

You stuck for insulting replies now seen as you are just came back with that? Not so long ago you had so many other words in which you berated others.

alta stare wrote: »
    You stuck for insulting replies now seen as you are just came back with that? Not so long ago you had so many other words in which you berated others.

Whatever. Your posts bore me.

Are you self projecting there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Varadkar barely got re- elected for god sake. Mainly based on his inability to make decisions. He shouldn't even be at the helm, his party won less seats than ff or sf comfortably. Based on years of **** governance, nothing has changed...

• Advertisement

Whatever. Your posts bore me.

:D:D:D

ffs what kind of person are you at all. My posts bore you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Guys, take a chill pill. Stop attacking each other or cards will be handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Varadkar barely got re- elected for god sake. Mainly based on his inability to make decisions. He shouldn't even be at the helm, his party won less seats than ff or sf comfortably. Based on years of **** governance, nothing has changed...

Well why didn't the other parties who got 84% of the vote form a government?

Just blame it all on Varadkar yeah.

Noone else has a responsibility too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Phoenix Park is more than 5km from Stephens Green. Unless you literally went in the gate at the courts and stopped.

Half of Phoenix Park is within a 5km radius of Stephens Green.

The 5km Restriction is as the crow flies.

polesheep wrote: »
    That's their job.

I don't understand the meaning of your last sentence.

No problem, I'll explain. The government and its advisors had this pandemic dumped on them suddenly. As did every other government in the world. They're not particularly evil or stupid people so they did what they thought was the right thing based on advice (often conflicting) from WHO, other governments, HSE etc. The decisions they made, based on scant data, were literally life or death. I feel sorry for them having to do this. I find people who attack them and their advisors, and dismiss their pressure and stress, to be shallow, pampered and self-entitled fools who are lashing out blindly. They're usually the perfect fodder for political manipulation. Useful idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No problem, I'll explain. The government and its advisors had this pandemic dumped on them suddenly. As did every other government in the world. They're not particularly evil or stupid people so they did what they thought was the right thing based on advice (often conflicting) from WHO, other governments, HSE etc. The decisions they made, based on scant data, were literally life or death. I feel sorry for them having to do this. I find people who attack them and their advisors, and dismiss their pressure and stress, to be shallow, pampered and self-entitled fools who are lashing out blindly. They're usually the perfect fodder for political manipulation. Useful idiots.

People have short memories.

2 months ago when this happened it took us all by surprise.

Everyone understood the **** show it was.

Someone had to step up and take the hard decisions.

Now 2 months later and with the weather been so good and people out and about , everyone is an expert about what leo should have done back then.

All experts now giving their opinion about what they should have done.

Well duh, hindsight is a great thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Not really though. I don’t have anything against them, I actually think Leo is a decent political leader but have no time for Harris, my dealings with him through my job and what I thought of him have been confirmed though this.

But they didn’t make these decisions, the decisions were made for them, they had no choice, what was done in March etc and the further lockdown etc were literally the only decisions we could have made under the circumstances looking at how the rest of Europe was progressing. It was the correct thing to do and in my opinion the only thing we could do.

When it has come to making actual decisions Of which they have multiple options ie how to open up the country they’ve proved to be utterly spineless taking the lets cower away and see how everyone else gets on approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

You do realise that over 1,600 people died with covid in this country right?

Thats more than Denmark, New Zealand, Norway, Finland, Czech republic combined.

I think they did a woeful job on saving lives front.

On economic front? Shutting down construction when most other countries kept it opened during pandemic, giving out more money to 200,000 people in this country to sit at home than what they would earn working, does suggest they did WOEFUL on economic front as well.

And continue to do so every day now with the turtle plan.

Someone had to step up andake the gard decisions.

Now 2 months later and with the weather be é so good, everyone is an expert about what leo should have done back then.

Exactly. It could have been anyone in power. The problems and decisions would have been exactly the same. But some people have to blame someone or anyone. Facts aren't too important, just got to be able to point the finger.

On economic front? Shutting down construction when most other countries kept it opened during pandemic, giving out more money to 200,000 people in this country to sit at home than what they would earn working, does suggest they did WOEFUL on economic front as well.

Pro rata, way less than our nearest neighbours Britain, France and Spain... Comparisons can be invidious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Cushtie wrote: »
    What a beautiful day! I dont think there are enough Gardai in the county to man the checkpoints to stop people making a break for it today and over the weekend. And rightly so.

Enough is enough. Time to get the Country opened back up faster.

I'm taking my family to the sea side today. Its about 30 min drive away and if I get stopped so be it. We had chicken pox in the house before this. So the kids have not been outside the house since mid Feb.
    I have a son with special needs who so misses his special school and routine. I can see a huge change in him over the last few weeks.

We did our bit., now it's time for the boys in Dublin to wake up and open up.

Brilliant. Get out and live. I hope you all have a fantastic day and don’t forget the sunblock. Actually feel a tinge of emotion reading about your son, today will do him a power of good

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

So, people can now engage in boating and water sports providing they live within 5km.
    This is INSANE.
    How would anyone driving 7km be ANY greater risk than someone who walks 2km. There is no logic to this whatsoever.
    Mícheál Martin said he wants to end the 5km limits as soon as possible. For the first time in my life I wholeheartedly agree with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

So, people can now engage in boating and water sports providing they live within 5km.
    This is INSANE.
    How would anyone driving 7km be ANY greater risk than someone who walks 2km. There is no logic to this whatsoever.
    Mícheál Martin said he wants to end the 5km limits as soon as possible. For the first time in my life I wholeheartedly agree with him.

Its laughable at this stage.

Idbatterim wrote: »

I’m FG and can conclude objectively he’s been a very disappointing Taoiseach. He’s not a natural leader, he hangs back all the time. Never nails his colours to the mast, always kite flying. I think a new person will bring fresh energy to the office, that’s likely Micheal Martin. I feel he has a more genuine empathy with the ordinary person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I agree. But please do not insult turtles.

You should see Leo’s Facebook. Full of donkeys congratulating him. Our record is shocking thanks to useless HSE Nphet and Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Someone had to step up and take the hard decisions.

Now 2 months later and with the weather been so good and people out and about , everyone is an expert about what leo should have done back then.

I think the vast majority are worried about what is being done now, we understand the measures that needed to be taken. You dont need hindsight to know the restrictions in place right now are too tight and the phase restrictions are phased out too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

You can live between them and easily be within 5km of both! Anyone in Stonybatter or Kilmainham for instance is only a couple of km from St Stephens Green one direction and the far end of the park the other direction

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think the vast majority are worried about what is being done now, we understand the measures that needed to be taken. You dont need hindsight to know the restrictions in place right now are too tight and the phase restrictions are phased out too long.

Now that the rate of infection has dropped so low, because of the tight restrictions, they can begin to accelerate the lifting of containment measures. But there will be surges, it's about balancing society and the economy with containing the virus to acceptable levels. It will need constant monitoring and quick, fluid responses. The very last thing Ireland needs is a re-introduction of severe containment measures and a spike that overwhelms the health service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

This is INSANE.

There is logic to it. The fact that you are incapable of seeing it is not particularly surprising.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement