Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Might send Oxford an email and ask them to hurry up, christ I'd love a vaccine now

I've gone from: "hmmm, lets wait awhile to see if users grow extra heads and turn into actual dogs"

To: "Give me two! I'll stick one into each arm"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I've gone from: "hmmm, lets wait awhile to see if users grow extra heads and turn into actual dogs"

To: "Give me two! I'll stick one into each arm"

I’ll even take a third one right on the arse cheek! Left or right i don’t mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’ll even take a third one right on the arse cheek! Left or right i don’t mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I see they are doing the PCR test for €160.
    Very reasonable with a 72 hour turnaround.

Cheaper than the apparent government cost of €200.

https://www.tmb.ie/services/covid-19-travel-clearance-certificate

€200 government cost? where did you hear of that?

I wonder if that's what the Germans are charging Ireland to do them, good coin if it is.

A batch of 96 is roughly €3000 in reagents, tips, processing plates etc and its mostly automated so minimal staff required just lab operator and collection.

Private Labs in Australia which do about half had calculated minimal cost end-to-end was $75 (€45) but agreed on $100 (€60) per test.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭normanoffside

mandrake04 wrote: »
    €200 government cost? where did you hear of that?

That's what Leo said they cost the state:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-tests-cost-the-state-200-each-says-taoiseach-1.4264130

• Advertisement

Near fell of my chair laughing, that's $325 per test...LOL someone is pocketing a shitload money somewhere probably the European overlords taking their share.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/pathology-groups-threatened-covid-19-test-ban-at-height-of-pandemic-20200520-p54uva.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Near fell of my chair laughing, that's $325 per test...LOL someone is pocketing a shitload money somewhere probably the European overlords taking their share.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/pathology-groups-threatened-covid-19-test-ban-at-height-of-pandemic-20200520-p54uva.html

I'm sure Dennis O'Brien is getting a cut somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

We use Euro in Ireland, this is an Irish site :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Biontech/Pfizer aim to look for regulatory approval for their vaccine by end of 2020.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccine-pfizer-bio/pfizer-biontechs-covid-19-vaccine-expected-to-be-ready-for-approval-by-year-end-wsj-idUSKBN24B1KL

"If it receives marketing approval, the companies are preparing to make up to 100 million doses by the end of 2020 and another 1.2 billion doses by the end of 2021 at sites in Germany and the United States, Reuters reported last week."

We use Euro in Ireland, this is an Irish site :cool:

I know 200 of them that’s why I’m laughing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

hmmm wrote: »
    Biontech/Pfizer aim to look for regulatory approval for their vaccine by end of 2020.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccine-pfizer-bio/pfizer-biontechs-covid-19-vaccine-expected-to-be-ready-for-approval-by-year-end-wsj-idUSKBN24B1KL

"If it receives marketing approval, the companies are preparing to make up to 100 million doses by the end of 2020 and another 1.2 billion doses by the end of 2021 at sites in Germany and the United States, Reuters reported last week."

They must be quite confident their product will work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Just wondering, what do you think of what Helen Clark, former New Zealand pm said about the timeline for a vaccine being 2 1/2 years off? She says sources she has in Geneva have said so but it runs contrary to what Pfizer, Astra zeneca and Oxford and moderna and Dr fauci have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Just wondering, what do you think of what Helen Clark, former New Zealand pm said about the timeline for a vaccine being 2 1/2 years off? She says sources she has in Geneva have said so but it runs contrary to what Pfizer, Astra zeneca and Oxford and moderna and Dr fauci have said.

Wouldn't give it much credence.

Two and a half is an odd number.

If the current vaccine candidates work, and if there are no major issues identified in phase 3 testing (i.e. the best case scenario), we'll have a vaccine next year with some limited doses this year.

If the first batch of vaccines (e.g. Oxford, Moderna, China) fail, we'll have other technologies delivering vaccines in the 2nd half of 2021.

If none of these work, and if we run into major problems, then it could be many years (if ever) before we have a vaccine.

Two and a half is not in any scenario I've seen discussed. Regulators are obviously working very closely with vaccine developers right now to ensure the tests are right, they aren't going to be sitting on their hands for a year after trials are finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Two and a half is an odd number.

If the current vaccine candidates work, and if there are no major issues identified in phase 3 testing (i.e. the best case scenario), we'll have a vaccine next year with some limited doses this year.

If the first batch of vaccines (e.g. Oxford, Moderna, China) fail, we'll have other technologies delivering vaccines in the 2nd half of 2021.

If none of these work, and if we run into major problems, then it could be many years (if ever) before we have a vaccine.

Two and a half is not in any scenario I've seen discussed. Regulators are obviously working very closely with vaccine developers right now to ensure the tests are right, they aren't going to be sitting on their hands for a year after trials are finished.

Yeah really I found her language to be a bit vague and unhelpful. The 'plague from ancient times line was a bit Shakespearean and the sources in Geneva without elaborating on a specific institute or college was strange. What would Geneva know that the researchers on the field don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I’ve no idea how a vaccine will logistically be deployed or prioritised in terms of regions, and then which people within those regions. But my uneducated assumption would be that NZ are surely near the bottom of a priority list? Even though it’s the key to unlock their borders, if they keep closed and eradicate, then they’re not necessarily in urgent need of a vaccine from a medical standpoint. But again, not an expert and I guess it’s far more political?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

ICL saRNA candidate pre clinical data:

https://www.researchhub.com/paper/818046/summary

Makes me wonder if the mice had any blood plasma left in their antibodies.

Seriously impressive results, especially given the miniscule dosages required. All titres were referenced against hospitalised patient convalescent sera. Even the 0.01ug dose outdid the convalescent serum, the 10ug dose looks a bit otherworldly. Hope it's well tolerated in people and shows similar results.

I think they've already dosed the phase I human trial volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Hmmzis wrote: »
    ICL saRNA candidate pre clinical data:

https://www.researchhub.com/paper/818046/summary

Makes me wonder if the mice had any blood plasma left in their antibodies.

Seriously impressive results, especially given the miniscule dosages required. All titres were referenced against hospitalised patient convalescent sera. Even the 0.01ug dose outdid the convalescent serum, the 10ug dose looks a bit otherworldly. Hope it's well tolerated in people and shows similar results.

I think they've already dosed the phase I human trial volunteers.

I think it’s only a matter of time for a vaccine now. We know they’re going to work, just to see if they’re safe now and to get approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It will come but its going to take a while yet. Even once it passes all the trials to manufacture the amounts that will be needed is going to takes ages. Next year hopefully?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Are there any new developments in the search for a treatment? Back in March when the Australians successfully isolated the root of Covid there was much excitement about finding a treatment to at least control the virus until a successful course of treatment was found to cure it, This area seems to have gone very quiet and even taken a backward step with the debunking of hydroxychlorophine. This, incidentally was used to treat an acquaintance of mine for the virus, with no ill effects. One possibility I heard of was Eidd 2801 which apparently is a more potent variant of remdesivir and can be effective later in the onset of the virus but having been developed in the US with public funds, has now been swallowed up by private money and , no doubt will go the same way as remdesivir.

• Advertisement

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Are there any new developments in the search for a treatment? Back in March when the Australians successfully isolated the root of Covid there was much excitement about finding a treatment to at least control the virus until a successful course of treatment was found to cure it, This area seems to have gone very quiet and even taken a backward step with the debunking of hydroxychlorophine. This, incidentally was used to treat an acquaintance of mine for the virus, with no ill effects. One possibility I heard of was Eidd 2801 which apparently is a more potent variant of remdesivir and can be effective later in the onset of the virus but having been developed in the US with public funds, has now been swallowed up by private money and , no doubt will go the same way as remdesivir.

HCQ was found to have no effect overall or maybe even slighlty counterproductive in some cases. Late stage disease is too late for any antiviral, it's up to various steroids (Dexamethasone got proven effective just a few weeks ago). Early treatments are hard due to the sheer numbers of people infected. EIDD-2801 is promising as it is orally bioavailable so can be produced en masse as pills. The precursor drug for Remdesivir is also being considered as a direct injection.
    There are some immunomodulators in trials for late stage disease, I just hope they do better than Tocilizumab (it looked good initially buy led to fatal secondary infections).

The way it's been going so far I wouldn't be all too surprised to see some of the vaccines beat the drugs to market for public use. For emergency use and military that's already happened, only in China though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

It's not the just under 1% of people who die from Covid which really concerns me, it's the long-term implications for anyone who gets this disease. This virus is not flu, and this is why the "I'll hold off on the vaccine" talk is so very dangerous - you're gambling with a quite dangerous virus which has been shown to have possibly serious long-term effects on multiple organs. I'll take a vaccine from somewhere like Oxford/Pfizer over that risk any day.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-warning-from-italy-effects-of-covid-19-could-be-worse-than-first-thought-12027348

263 treatments and 192 vaccines in development:
    https://covid-19tracker.milkeninstitute.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How can we ensure equitable distribution of any vaccine between countries and stop the likes of the US,UK and Germany buying up all the available doses? Or the manufacturer that produces it prioritising they’re own country

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

We know they’re going to work
    Do we??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Helen is a straight shooter.

The exact words were 2.5 years to a trusted, globally available vaccine..

So, I assume with trials, proper testing, then global rollout ... that could take up to another 2 years?

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Helen is a straight shooter.

The exact words were 2.5 years to a trusted, globally available vaccine..

So, I assume with trials, proper testing, then global rollout ... that could take up to another 2 years?
    Global manufacturing and rollout I think is the problem. Hmmzis on here did a running total of the announced production targets, and while it was huge (a few billion in 2021) it was perhaps not enough. Doubly so if we need boosters or yearly injections.

To be frank about it, for rich countries (including China) 2021 is a realistic hope for a vaccine as they will pay whatever it takes. For some countries, 2022.

CEPI is a good place to keep an eye on
    https://cepi.net/covid-19/

stevek93 wrote: »

From the number of volunteers, looks like it's phase 1, maybe some aspects of phase 2. Phase 3 trials are usually done in thousands of people.

Would like to know what types their candidates are, even if the papers are in Russian (I'm a bit rusty on it but should still be able to decipher the main points).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

How widespread is this view and I presume the implications for a vaccine would be grave?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/07/06/immunity-to-coronavirus-is-fragile-and-short-lived-expert-warns.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,931 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My reading of that is main implications are for countries like Sweden trying to pursue herd immunity through infection with the actual virus. Could be wrong but I don't think people are too concerned about the implications for vaccine induced herd immunity. Can give booster shots if immunity wanes, don't have that option with "natural herd immunity".

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement