Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Gael23 wrote: »
    I have an autoimmune disease so high risk. Hopefully I’ll get it early next year the.

Definitely, people such as yourself should be front and center to get it when it's rolled out.

Just read through the covid main thread and the lads who are always going on about people not obeying restrictions and predicting a second wave every 15 minutes are now saying they won't take a vaccine.

I just don't understand how ones who are always complaining about our current situation are not going to do the thing we need them to do to end this ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Definitely, people such as yourself should be front and center to get it when it's rolled out.

Just read through the covid main thread and the lads who are always going on about people not obeying restrictions and predicting a second wave every 15 minutes are now saying they won't take a vaccine.

I just don't understand how ones who are always complaining about our current situation are not going to do the thing we need them to do to end this ****e.

Can’t say I’m fully following the. myself if I’m honest I should be cocooning but I’m young and feeling well so it’s hard to do. I’ll be working from home for the foreseeable future though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/regeneron-coronavirus-antibody-drug-bn/index.html

Great to see these trials moving so fast. In the short term this Regeneron cocktail is the treatment the experts I trust have the most faith in.

hmmm wrote: »
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/regeneron-coronavirus-antibody-drug-bn/index.html

Great to see these trials moving so fast. In the short term this Regeneron cocktail is the treatment the experts I trust have the most faith in.

It's becoming clearer and clearer every passing week that covid isn't rhe the invincible Titan it was once thought to be. I remember the days back in March and April where it looked as if any sort of vaccine or treatment would be years away. I know there's still long to go but it's amazing how quickly things have turned around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

hmmm wrote: »

The thing about this is, if it works, then vaccines will work as well and even better, like all of them that produce nABs for SARS-cov-2.

At the end of the day, antibodies are antibodies, regardless if they come from an IV injection or your own immune response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It's becoming clearer and clearer every passing week that covid isn't rhe the invincible Titan it was once thought to be. I remember the days back in March and April where it looked as if any sort of vaccine or treatment would be years away. I know there's still long to go but it's amazing how quickly things have turned around.

Alot of the work was already done for SARS but it wasn't finished as the virus had died out before the vaccine was ready.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Alot of the work was already done for SARS but it wasn't finished as the virus had died out before the vaccine was ready.

Slight correction on SARS: It was methodically and systematically eradicated using testing and contact tracing and isolating everyone who was exposed. That took the guts of 2 years to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

I won't be taking any Covid vaccine ever.

iPaddyM wrote: »

That's the laziest troll attempt I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Aren't you great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I will be, i want my life back ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

1000 a head for the vaccine.

1000 a head for the vaccine.
    Astra Zeneca are supplying the Oxford vaccine at cost (a few euros a shot) and EU governments have already pre-purchased upto 400 million doses (that's all assuming it works). I expect EU governments will be eager to supply this for free to any citizen who wants it, and get their economies and societies restarted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

In fairness if a vaccine is rolled out after too short a testing phase and your in a low risk group anyway having concerns about this isn't the same being an Alex Jones follower.

The historic failure of the Human respiratory syncytial virus is the classic example of what could go wrong

This treatment looks rather interesting as it tries to address one of the major issues with the disease, lymphopenia:

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa630/5842185

The compound is produced by the thymus gland and there is decent availability of synthetic variants in the market. It would need a proper RCT to verify a causal effect.

Also, Derek Lowe's comment on the Pfizer/BioNTech's mRNA vaccine candidate phase1 results:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/07/01/pfizer-and-biontechs-first-vaccine-candidate

For all those saying that a vaccine will be rushed, it might be interesting to see how the US front-runner is being held up by Regulators insisting on particular standards in the trials.
    https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/moderna-delay-a-snapshot-squabbles-u-s-scientists-over-covid-19-vaccine-trials-reuters
    It has also sought a lower threshold for proving if its vaccine worked and resisted the government scientists’ insistence on monitoring trial participants’ oxygen levels, a marker that could indicate dangerous complications, Reuters reported. Although it said monitoring could be a “hassle” that slowed down development, the company eventually aligned with the agency on both points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have rung the Mater Hospital, hoping they could provide a test (privately paid for) however they will not provide a test unless there are symptoms.

Is there anywhere in Dublin where you can just pay to have a test?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Jude13 wrote: »
    I have rung the Mater Hospital, hoping they could provide a test (privately paid for) however they will not provide a test unless there are symptoms.

Is there anywhere in Dublin where you can just pay to have a test?

Cheers

Doubt you will get one anywhere without symptoms, and why would you have a test if you have no symptoms?

Well if anyone does know where one can be undertaken it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

I saw on tv3 Ireland am a number of weeks ago there is a place alright that will gladly test you at a fee. They offer vaccinations for foreign travel and are adding covid testing to the list of services they offer. Sorry the name escapes me so maybe a quick google and you can find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Ring your GP, say you have a cough and a loss of taste and you’ll get one for free.

Moral - No? But you’ll get your test.

I was hoping to do get it sorted on the level, I also do not have a GP. Cheers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I saw on tv3 Ireland am a number of weeks ago there is a place alright that will gladly test you at a fee. They offer vaccinations for foreign travel and are adding covid testing to the list of services they offer. Sorry the name escapes me so maybe a quick google and you can find it.

That description rang a bell with me so I checked, seems to be tmb.ie it's listed on their website.

miezekatze wrote: »
    That description rang a bell with me so I checked, seems to be tmb.ie it's listed on their website.

Boom, excellent I called them and they provide them. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Jude13 wrote:
    Boom, excellent I called them and they provide them. Thank you.
    Are you looking for an antibody test to determine previous exposure or a swab test to determine active infection

I was looking for the PCR swab test and miezekatze delivered with tmb.ie
    Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I see they are doing the PCR test for €160.
    Very reasonable with a 72 hour turnaround.

Cheaper than the apparent government cost of €200.

https://www.tmb.ie/services/covid-19-travel-clearance-certificate

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,716 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Live attenuated vaccine candidate, using Yellow Fever attenuated virus as the delivery backbone.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.08.193045v1.full.pdf+html

Antibody responses saturated the hamster model, mice model showed good cellular and T cell results.
    Looks like a good candidate for the younger people as the nAB saturation should give sterilising protection.
    If it works as well as the Dengue fever and Japanese encephalitis vaccines, then it should be long lasting, potentially, life long protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Might send Oxford an email and ask them to hurry up, christ I'd love a vaccine now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement