Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    b

I live in an area which is in the broadband exclusion zone. My parents and rest of family also do.

I still have internet TV and netflix, so do rest of my family.Hardly ever watch "normal" tv

Solution, well it is a magical thing called a 4g router sitting in a window with powerline adapters to boost. It cost me a massive 100 quid for the whole setup.

Most people wouldn't even need the powerline adapters.

To set up a proper 4g atenna and router in each house would cost what 500 quid in equipment and 500 quid in services? have done for less than 5 million

* would need to keep a million for people walking into the ladder while the lads are installing......also maybe 500k for someone to stand beside the ladder supervise it....you never know, Maria might be about.....think of the damage if she fell off a ladder

You forgot the "*actual customer experience may vary, this does not constitute a solution for the entire problem"

I also live with a 4g router solution. although I went with a wired network and proper Wireless access points from a managed switch.
    My experience is vastly different. I can't reliably run IPTV. and while the performance can be good*, it fluctuates wildly based on:
    1. how many others are connected to the same mast. (in a rural setting where it is the only option for everyone, this can be a lot of people come "peak time")
    2. The site's backhaul capacity
    3. environmental factors like weather.

There are even even better (then 4g) wireless solutions which suffer from the same factors.

Generally speaking to solve the BB issue using ANY wireless technology will require as much (if not more) money be spent on improving the transmitter infrastructure. eg. More sites, fibre to all sites.
    The time to achieve that with planning and land access for new sites would be prohibitive too.
    Not only that but the lifespan of the wireless technology is far shorter meaning it will need upgrades more frequently to provide the required bandwidths.

Anything less than the above approach and you aren't actually solving the issue, you're just sticking a plaster on it.

This has all been done to death in more technical threads. I do understand there will be some who have internet that dont want their tax spent for the benefit of others, as there are those that don't see the need to invest beyond what we need today.
    This is a once in a generation shot to get it right. It can propel a nation forward if done right, or hold it back if not.

*What we as a society need today is vastly different to what we need tomorrow.
    To build a solution to last 30+ years based on the ability to watch netflix is short sighted at best.

Promise, thats the last I'll say on it in this thread. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

ArrBee wrote: »
    TBH, I'm not familiar enough with the makeup of the conglomerate to know how invested DOB is.
    And I don't fully know what advantage may have been gained by McCourt when dinning with Naughton.

It's like he's the only name listed in the Fine Gael rolodex. Government contract up for tender, call Denis.
    You don't see how McCourt dining with the then Minister for Communications might be inappropriate, even if they never discussed the broadband contract, (if that's to be believed)?
    ArrBee wrote: »
    I still believe its possible, probably even, there was a harmless naivety to those dinners. But I would also believe that there was potentially more to it.
    Despite that, Eir came back with a similar cost to NBI and then pulled out of the process hoping to play silly buggers with the process.

although it's not signed yet, the govt seems to be staying the course to provide something that is needed at a cost that holds up when compared to other tenders and other countries.
    For me the outcome is what I think is progressing well.

I for one am glad they are not seeking to water the requirements down and that they can see this as an infrastructure for the future.

Oh, and for disclosure, As happy as I am with the BB progress, on it's own it wouldn't be enough to support FG.
    This whole MB episode has opened my eyes a great deal.

Anyway...
    Back to Bailey. She's some piece of work!

Like everything they do there's a bad smell off the whole process. It's very far from 'well done'.

Bailey is a model of their arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Kivaro wrote: »
    I would say that a lot of us would have voted for SD, but then they ran an asylum seeker for a council seat who was publicly out-ed for lying on her application, and then the same liar got leave to remain recently mostly likely due to running for SD.

Their leadership should change dramatically before they are looked upon as a viable option in the future.

I am totally fed up with the standard of the ruling parties we have to endure here. For me, I had high hopes for the SD’s. They rucked up big time last election & did themselves no favors.

However, we have turned a blind eye to the carry on of FFG over the years & personally I will give the SD’s another chance - but only one more chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I am totally fed up with the standard of the ruling parties we have to endure here. For me, I had high hopes for the SD’s. They rucked up big time last election & did themselves no favors.

However, we have turned a blind eye to the carry on of FFG over the years & personally I will give the SD’s another chance - but only one more chance.

+1 for SDs. I want for once to see a Government without FF or FG.

I really think SDs need to get their message out to rural Ireland, farmers etc. That cannot be done through social media. They need to mobilise on the ground. This is where they are falling down a huge amount. SDs will never get above 3% in the polls if they don't engage rural Ireland. A vote for a politician in the wilds of Connemara has as much influence as one in the IFSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    +1 for SDs. I want for once to see a Government without FF or FG.

I really think SDs need to get their message out to rural Ireland, farmers etc. That cannot be done through social media. They need to mobilise on the ground. This is where they are falling down a huge amount. SDs will never get above 3% in the polls if they don't engage rural Ireland. A vote for a politician in the wilds of Connemara has as much influence as one in the IFSC.

Uphill task trying to persuade voters outside Dublin to vote for anyone other than FF, FG and Lowry-type independents. My home county of Mayo returned a grand total of one candidate in the recent council elections who was not FF, FG or Ind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm not a GAA fan to be honest, but this came up on my Google feed and gave me a chuckle :

https://twitter.com/LeslieAnnHorgan/status/1163124288427307009?s=19

Ahh Leo. Always desperate to get into the limelight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm not a GAA fan to be honest, but this came up on my Google feed and gave me a chuckle :

https://twitter.com/LeslieAnnHorgan/status/1163124288427307009?s=19

Ahh Leo. Always desperate to get into the limelight :rolleyes:

The government know well where they stand in the gaa..at a distance

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Dammo

Leo not bothered, he grew up on the sidelines of GAA matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Dammo wrote: »

Hopefully he never played offside on them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kingstevii

Dammo wrote: »

At least he's not offside in a gaa match!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Were they directed to ignore him? They certainly knew he was there as there were glances. Tipp sponsor Teneo was established by Declan Kelly who is also CEO, the brother of Alan Kelly. *Puts on tinfoil hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Were they directed to ignore him? They certainly knew he was there as there were glances. Tipp sponsor Teneo was established by Declan Kelly who is also CEO, the brother of Alan Kelly. *Puts on tinfoil hat.

I'd say Leo is the least of their concerns tbh. They just won the all Ireland. Leo is an irelevance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

He's meek. Why not stand forward like the other two and put his hand out?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Suckit wrote: »

First time at a final I’d say. Didn’t know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Quare ol' carry on.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Suckit wrote: »

He did come down a step at about 7 seconds in that clip. But since he was still ignored he went back up again.
    Thankfully, he didnt slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

First time at a final I’d say. Didn’t know what to do.

Nah he was there for the finals last year

0_inpho_01418496.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

In one of the All-Ireland finals before he was Taoiseach, he turned up wearing a Dublin jersey under his suit jacket. Can’t remember if he had the shirt and tie on as well but he looked ridiculous. Kind of like he turned up and was told to put on the jersey to show his support for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Nah he was there for the finals last year

0_inpho_01418496.jpg

Were there handshakes that year?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kyler_87

In one of the All-Ireland finals before he was Taoiseach, he turned up wearing a Dublin jersey under his suit jacket. Can’t remember if he had the shirt and tie on as well but he looked ridiculous. Kind of like he turned up and was told to put on the jersey to show his support for Dublin.

Mad stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The government have no input to the ceremony....nothing stopping him reaching out and forcing a hand shake but the officials know well to stay out of the way of the players as it's their moment

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

The government have no input to the ceremony....nothing stopping him reaching out and forcing a hand shake but the officials know well to stay out of the way of the players as it's their moment

Surprised Shane Ross isn't there trying to lift the cup! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Surprised Shane Ross isn't there trying to lift the cup! :pac:

He’s actually quite small and was in the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Pedro K wrote: »
    Were there handshakes that year?

I don't think there are ever handshakes with the Taoiseach when the winning team collects the Cup. They are there in the background as a guest of the GAA but they have no part in the presentation or in celebrations. I don't think I saw any handshakes when Bertie, Cowan or Kenny were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

One of the cases involved a local business which hired the venue to hold a team building day.

A woman injured herself after falling from a ‘bucking bronco’ which was rented from a company and she subsequently brought a personal injury claim against the hotel.

Here is what i dont get.... Go after your employer... go after you "manager" for engaging you to this terrible thing called "team building day" but what the hell did the hotel do wrong here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's the business first, people last psychology of how we 'went mad' and 'partied' when they tanked the economy/country. The insurance companies would rather settle if it's cheaper than going to court, but will blame society for too many claims when they raise rates.
    If it wasn't Bailey style claims culture, they'd blame Brexit or global warming.
    Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

2KuJvDB.jpg?1d04QkxA.jpg?1

Another spectacular budget overspend.
    Leinster House to re-open after nearly 3 years and doubling the original 'revamp' budget to €18m :rolleyes:
    The cost of the project, which meant the Seanad was transferred to the ceramics room of the adjacent National Museum of Ireland, was expected to be capped at €8m.
    However, as revealed by the Irish Examiner in June, the full price will now hit €18m - with Oireachtas services secretary-general, Peter Finnegan, later claiming to the Dáil's public accounts committee that the price represents "outstanding" value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭jmreire

It's the business first, people last psychology of how we 'went mad' and 'partied' when they tanked the economy/country. The insurance companies would rather settle if it's cheaper than going to court, but will blame society for too many claims when they raise rates.
    If it wasn't Bailey style claims culture, they'd blame Brexit or global warming.
    Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Compo culture does not affect their profits, it works to their benefit. Any increases ( blamed on Award's" ) are passed directly on to their "customer's". The problem ( one of them anyway ) is a legal system that allow's these kind of claim's to be sorted without any input from the insured. Seem's that the claimant is the only one with right's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement