Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 90's

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Kev W wrote: »
    Have to disagree there, at least if it's the popular stuff you're talking about. Metal's dominated by horrible whiny vocals now, it's unbearable. In the 90s we had Pantera, now we're stuck with rubbish like Bollocks to my Valentine.

Today we have bands like Mastodon, Gojira, Ghost, Periphery, I could mention a list of bands as long as my arm, Metal is doing grand. You could just as easily look at the 80s and point out some crappy hair metal band that was popular and say metal in the 80s sucked, while ignoring all the good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Links234 wrote: »
    Today we have bands like Mastodon, Gojira, Ghost, Periphery, I could mention a list of bands as long as my arm, Metal is doing grand. You could just as easily look at the 80s and point out some crappy hair metal band that was popular and say metal in the 80s sucked, while ignoring all the good stuff.

Fair point. I'm a little out of touch so I can only go by stuff I see on Scuzz when I'm killing time waiting for Doctor Who to start. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Kev W wrote: »
    Fair point. I'm a little out of touch so I can only go by stuff I see on Scuzz when I'm killing time waiting for Doctor Who to start. :)

Scuzz? Well there's your problem right there! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

....... Going out every Saturday night was the norm. I enjoyed the 90's.

As I remember, going out Thursday, Friday, Sunday & Monday night, as well was the norm.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Billy86 wrote: »
    Nope, its remarkably playable because all of the buttons fit nicely on the screen (if you have a big phone) - it can make some games like Mario Kart 64 trickier though, since the L/R button for turns isn't as easy to reach as on a contrller, but that's not an issue for the likes of Mario. Here's a video of someone playing it o their phone, actually. Controls look like this (but you can customise them exactly how you want them).

Yeah, certainly seems to be playing it fine, but I'd be interested to see a video of someone holding the phone and playing it. I'd imagine I'd need a huuuge phone to enjoy it though.

Maybe I'm just old school but I've always taught that there was always a massive difference between what works on a handheld console (Pokemon, Animal Crossing) and what doesn't (a first-person shooter, for example), and similarly, what works on a mobile game is very different to a console game port. I could play Doodle Jump quite a few times a day on my phone but I wouldn't be arsed sitting in front of a TV playing it, you know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Well Mario 64 was slower paced than a first person shooter, so that helps an awful lot (there are one or two stars where you need to race down an icy path with no walls that is a bit frustrating, got it eventually though). But on a Note 3 the screen size works absolutely fine (here is a pic for screen size comparison). Could see it being an issue on one of the smaller iPhone types, but I far prefer bigger phones anyway, for watching Netflix, NFL on the go, better browsing, etc. I'm one of those "not bothered with smartphones" types that did a complete 180 after a little bit of exposure, mind. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I could play Doodle Jump quite a few times a day on my phone but I wouldn't be arsed sitting in front of a TV playing it, you know?

haha, just tonight my daughter (7) was bugging me to get Doodle Jump back on her Nabi tablet, we had to do a factory reset recently and it's no longer included in the bundled apps, got it from the play store but with ads, when I get around to buying a Google Play voucher I'll have to pony up 99c to get rid of the ads. Might as well stick on a few paid apps like Stellarium while I'm at it. Have to start looking into Spectrum emulators too :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

I always remember World Cup 1994.

Me and my pals were going to be staying in a tent in the back garden. Ireland were playing Italy and we heard them score and went to run into the house but i tripped and landed on the stake in the ground supporting the tent and hurt my knee. I still have the scar!

My mother used to get so emotional over the eurovision. She used to be welling up and shed say "your so lucky, we never used to win when i was growing up" :)

Oh & I nearly forgot Steve Collins beating both Nigel Benn & Chris Eubank twice in 95 & 96.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

323 wrote: »
    As I remember, going out Thursday, Friday, Sunday & Monday night, as well was the norm.

I'd be to focked from the E on Friday & Sat to do anything any other days. I'd just smoke a few J's & pop a few Valium or Dolly's for a few days after.

Advertisement