Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 90's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The 3 greatest sitcoms (Frasier,The Simpsons and Seinfeld) of all time were from the 90's so for a sitcom lover it was great decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I barely remember the 90s.
    Scrunchies
    Tamogatchis
    Those weird alien things that were supposed to open their eyes at the millennium.
    Hairbands
    Spice girls
    Rugrats

That pretty much sums up my memories

A couple more,
    Teenage Mutant ninja turtles and La Gear runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You could get bags of coke for 50p back in the 90's? Was this the 1890's?

No not coke, a quids worth of Pat Cash.

This

This

This

This

The anthem of the decade, for those who may have been too young for 88 and the Summer of Love...

Born Slippy Nuxx - Underworld

http://youtu.be/XiMrrleH_hI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Loads of great things happened but still found it meh after the early 90s.

Looking back it seems so much better. Always the case I guess.

It was the decade of my teens and very start of my 20s. Would prefer to have been older for acid house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

See this is england set in the 90s, on channel 4 this week.
    it was the last era before everyone had a smartphone, and social media took off.And the start of internet acess for ordinary people .
    Satellite tv was just getting started .
    re games it was the age of the ps2 ,where there was actually good games
    On consoles, games with epic storys , not just platformers .
    There was lots of pirate radio stations, before 2fm started broadcasting .
    IT was a time of optimism , ireland gets to the world cup.
    You bought music on cd,or tape, there were big record shops like virgin.
    you either got a job or you were on the dole ,
    now half the jobs are advertised as internships .
    The concept of lgbt rights or gay marriage was hardly mentioned .
    There was a wide range of music in the charts from britpop to dance music to boybands and britney spears and grunge .
    You could say the 90s was a decade when things got better ,
    ireland became a more modern outward looking country .
    CGI special effects became much more advanced in films like the matrix,
    terminator 2 .
    more immigrants came here to work in hotels , restaurants and the building
    industry.
    Dublin became more multicultural , with people from different countrys living there .

Loads of great things happened but still found it meh after the early 90s.

Looking back it seems so much better. Always the case I guess.

It was the decade of my teens and very start of my 20s. Would prefer to have been older for acid house.

Yep, one of the few things I would change in my life is to have been born a couple of years earlier, left home in 92 when 18 so the clubbing only started then and missed the real acid house era. But there was still plenty of fun...before trance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Yep, one of the few things I would change in my life is to have been born a couple of years earlier, left home in 92 when 18 so the clubbing only started then and missed the real acid house era. But there was still plenty of fun...before trance...
    My university years began with Britpop, hated all that "TFI Friday" kinda culture.
    It fizzled out by about '98 though. Actually I really enjoyed the late 90s/early 2000s. The time of every flat ever having copies of Play and Moon Safari. :)

My university years began with Britpop, hated all that "TFI Friday" kinda culture.
    It fizzled out by about '98 though. Actually I really enjoyed the late 90s/early 2000s. The time of every flat ever having copies of Play and Moon Safari. :)

Loved Mobys earlier stuff, like Go, I Feel It, Move etc. so felt a bit underwhelmed by Play.

Loved the whole ambient house stuff like the Orb, and then the whole electronica explosion, the Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Future Sound of London etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

riclad wrote: »
    re games it was the age of the ps2 ,where there was actually good games
    On consoles, games with epic storys , not just platformers .
    PS2 Release date: March 4, 2000. It didn't come out in Europe for a while after that, and was basically impossible to get until the following year. :p

Also to be fair, many games nowadays have story lines with very epic story lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Billy86 wrote: »
    PS2 Release date: March 4, 2000. It didn't come out in Europe for a while after that, and was basically impossible to get until the following year. :p

Also to be fair, many games nowadays have story lines with very epic story lines.

The snes, the best console of all time was out during the 90's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

iDave wrote: »
    GAA was just bonkers. Felt like anyone could win.

It might look that way in judging by the record books but Derry were good in the 80's, they were Ulster champions in 87 and nearly made it to the final that year too, plus they won minor AI in 89.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

The 3 greatest sitcoms (Frasier,The Simpsons and Seinfeld) of all time were from the 90's so for a sitcom lover it was great decade.

don't forget that Frasier ended in mid 2000's, over 40% were aired in 2000's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

there was more originality in clothes due to the various music types
    you had Metal heads, grungers, Goths and ravers all distinctive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

The Sopranos began in 1999

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

kneemos wrote: »
    Compared to the originality of the 60's and 70's the 90's were dull as dishwater.
    Don't remember any decent films or music from the 90's.Likewise popular movements.

No decent music or movies from the 90's? Can I ask how old you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I was drowning in a sea of Pogs.

Cienciano wrote: »

Well yeah, the SNES was awesome. You can get an app on your phone, I think it's called SNES 9XE and find the games on your browser, and BOOM! public transport commutes all of a sudden are grand. Works better if you've got a big phone like a Samsung Note or the bigger iPhone 6, since the screen is also a touch remote. There's an N64 one too called Mupen, Mario 64 has amazingly barely aged a day in graphics or gameplay (Goldeneye, on the other hand... :( ). Oh and Super Metroid - yes, it is still top class 20-odd years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I was drowning in a sea of Pogs.

Don't forget your slammers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

nullzero wrote: »
    Don't forget your slammers

Ah yes. A topic of many lunchtime debates. Steeleys were overrated imo. I was in the minority with that opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

When rap music was actually rap music.

R.I.P my homies Bigge and Pac

8 Counties won the football championship and 6 counties won the hurling championship in the 90's.

13 out of the 32 counties in Ireland won a senior all ireland in the 1990's something that will never be repeated it was an incredibly exciting era for GAA.

don't forget that Frasier ended in mid 2000's, over 40% were aired in 2000's.

7 of the 8 great frasier seasons were from the 90's.

Seasons 8,9 and 10 were the 3 weakest of the show (but better than 95% of of other sitcoms) were on in the 00's, only the last season was comparable to the show in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

For people who say the music was better, that depends what music you like as metal music is better now than it ever was,

Have to disagree there, at least if it's the popular stuff you're talking about. Metal's dominated by horrible whiny vocals now, it's unbearable. In the 90s we had Pantera, now we're stuck with rubbish like Bollocks to my Valentine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Billy86 wrote: »
    Well yeah, the SNES was awesome. You can get an app on your phone, I think it's called SNES 9XE and find the games on your browser, and BOOM! public transport commutes all of a sudden are grand. Works better if you've got a big phone like a Samsung Note or the bigger iPhone 6, since the screen is also a touch remote. There's an N64 one too called Mupen, Mario 64 has amazingly barely aged a day in graphics or gameplay (Goldeneye, on the other hand... :( ). Oh and Super Metroid - yes, it is still top class 20-odd years later!

Mario 64 on a touch screen? Sounds awful, considering every button on the N64 controller had a function on that game. Even the DS version was rubbish without an analogue stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As for the Millennium Bug.... much ado about nothing!

Thanks to a lot of people (like me) who fixed the problems in time. Can't win.

If we take the 90's as the benchmark for how things were different before and after here are just a few things that are different, that you don't seem to be aware of for some reason.

It was illegal to be gay.

Nitpick: anal intercourse between males was illegal, it was not illegal to be gay, and not all men who have sex with other men identify as gay... and lesbians could do whatever they wanted :cool:
    We shipped unmarried mothers into Magdelane Laundries.
    Bastard children were sold to America.

Up until the 70s yeah. This thread is about the 90s
    You could drive after a bottle of whiskey.

You exaggerate. Being able to stand up never mind getting the key in the lock would be challenge enough for most people after a whole bottle of whiskey - it would be enough to put some people into a potentially fatal coma
    Illegal to be drunk in charge of a vehicle since the 60s, breathalyser brought in in 1978, the limit then was approx. 3 pints of beer
    The only tv was one channel that only aired at certain times.

RTE2 started in 1978
    You had to wait weeks, even months to get a phone line installed for your home from our telecom monopoly.

There were several neighbours of ours (in Dublin) who got phones at the same time in the mid 80s, they'd all been waiting between 8 and ten years. No waiting in the 90s though.

Goodfellas "go get a shiny new box"

"Get your shine box" (major insult to character who was so poor as a child he shined shoes to make a few cents)

riclad wrote: »

Radio2 started in 1979. Most of the pirates were off the air by 1990. 98FM and Capital Radio (as it was then, then Rock 104 then FM104) started in 1989 and there were lots of other licensed local radio stations by 1990.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

^thread killa.....

blade1 wrote: »
    A couple more,
    Teenage Mutant Hero turtles and La Gear runners.

Sorry, couldn't let that one lie (to quote another definitive 90s show). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Cienciano wrote: »

The PlayStation.

Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Silent Hill, the sheer amount of legendary, genre defining games that came out on that console was unreal.

• Advertisement

Mario 64 on a touch screen? Sounds awful, considering every button on the N64 controller had a function on that game. Even the DS version was rubbish without an analogue stick.

Nope, its remarkably playable because all of the buttons fit nicely on the screen (if you have a big phone) - it can make some games like Mario Kart 64 trickier though, since the L/R button for turns isn't as easy to reach as on a contrller, but that's not an issue for the likes of Mario. Here's a video of someone playing it o their phone, actually. Controls look like this (but you can customise them exactly how you want them).

Advertisement