Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options
1301302303304305307»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Was in Malaga last week and popped into a Lidl, Perlenbacher 500ml cans were 65 cents,yes 65 CENTS,and I didnt witness 1000's of people rolling around p1ssed in the streets.We really live in an expensive Nanny state!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Obviously Spanish (or German or French or…) livers are made of much sterner stuff than Irish livers… But if you pay pub prices you're safe!

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭migrant

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

The mysterious North beckons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Mystery solved - I opened the can and poured it into a pint glass we have which also has a 500ml mark on it. It came up visibly short of that mark. So they're using 500ml cans but only putting 440ml of beer in them by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So when is the price of a pint gonna stop going up, it's now €5.50 in my local, up from €3.90 March 2020.

• Advertisement

Hmmm

I thought it was illegal to use underfilled / false bottom etc. containers which give the impression they contain more than they do. If I see that on the shelf next to actual 500mL cans it's reasonable to assume it has the same contents.

Shoddy at best, misleading at worst.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Gusser09

In the likes of Spain etc a weird bunch of headbangers like AAI wouldnt get government funding. They'd be laughed off the stage as would whinging publicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In their XXL offer in Lidl Germany soon, the deal is nine bottles of Perlenbacher, instead of eight, for 3.55.

So under 40 cent for 50cl.

Bear in mind that includes 19% VAT, a margin for Lidl, transport and production cost.

The amount of money the industry is making on mass-market lagers, ciders and stouts under MUP is phenomenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,571 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is about an inch of space with no liquid in the neck of my 330 ml beer bottles. I have been scammed. Got them in the North.

I pay a deposit, I get the deposit back, where's the scam exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭tjhook

Many people are finding it difficult or even impossible to get all their "deposits" back.

That's not a scam, that's people being fuckwits and/or just looking for yet another thing to complain about. Schemes exactly the same as ours work perfectly well in other countries, Liveline callers are not exactly examples of people who are successful in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭con747

Fair play to you for not being a fucktwit and being so successful. 🙄

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭bog master

I take exception to being labeled a "fuckwit". I support properly thought out green or rather environmentally friendly policies and most likely have been recycling and reusing since before you were born. I have had multiple issues with this brilliant system, am looking at increased waste collection charges while some members of this scheme get a nice payday.

Increasing collection rates does not equal increasing recycling rates. 70% of plastics are incinerated-why bother putting them in a recycling bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,280 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I find it particularly funny with all the pubs going under that the publicans can't realise the link between lower disposable income because of MUP and their pub business collapsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Its far more complex than that.

Pubs are going under because people are more health conscious, there are more entertainment options, drink driving laws etc etc.

Old publicans are retiring and their children are not interested in taking over the business.

Old reliable customers are literally dying out.

People having less money because they spent more on off license booze as a result of MUP has little or nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭tjhook

The Indo did a survey and 21% of respondents said the machines "did not accept most of their empties". I.e. for 21% of people, less than half of their cans/bottles were accepted. These were people trying to comply with the system. Even if the other 79% of people had 100% of their empties accepted (not likely), that's still a significant loss overall.

A system taking "deposits" from people and making it difficult to get back. Resulting in a large sum being collected from the public. If your landlord did the same with your deposit I'd call it a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Two years before MUP , we had dropped from 11.6 to 9.5 L of alcohol a year . The UK by comparison went from 10.1 to 9.7 L. Any gains claimed by MUP have to be viewed against the underlying trend and compared to the UK who would have semi-similar drink culture to ourselves.

https://www.euronews.com/health/2024/05/04/dry-january-where-in-europe-is-drinking-alcohol-getting-worse-and-which-countries-have-cut

But the kicker is this one

People with higher education binge drink 60% more often that those that didn't do the leaving cert or whatever the cutoff point was.

It's reasonable to assume that people with higher education are on higher incomes and less affected by MUP isn't it ?

Advertisement