Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yeah you need to plug it into the USB port. I use podcasts and audible a lot. A lot of times when I plug it in, the audio doesn’t come through. I have to unplug it and connect it again. Works on the second go. Other than that it is very good.

I’ve only used google maps on it. Never used the inbuilt maps. Google maps is very good.

Podcast etc I guess will play via bluetooth but you just have to use phone to change them? same as eGolf v1

It's mainly for maps I was wondering, because the VW doesn't support Eircodes I always use google maps....too much hastle trying to type in an address

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Podcast etc I guess will play via bluetooth but you just have to use phone to change them? same as eGolf v1

It's mainly for maps I was wondering, because the VW doesn't support Eircodes I always use google maps....too much hastle trying to type in an address

No, Bluetooth disconnects when you plug it in. Audio comes via the cable and app via Apple CarPlay. Completely different interface from the standard VW Audio options.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Vw does support Eircodes. You need to change the address input to Line by line, then when it gives you the option click City and then in the bottom right you’ll see PSTCD in the bottom left.

Also if you have the Car net function you can change it to Online POI search and just free type the code

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Pictures attached below

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I was driving my Dads eGolf for the last day or so, all I can say is its blown me away. It’s a base spec with upgraded Media and the tech pack. The acceleration is unbelievable, on a par with a GTI. The adaptive cruise, stereo and nav are top class and the Apple car play is great. The lights as a feature are an upgrade for most manufacturers.

I managed to get 150 miles out of it driving B roads mainly in the UK which will cover most, the charger accepts CCS so it’s got the latest tech.

There’s a certain enjoyment to be had from rapid progress in a quiet car thats not guzzling the fuel.

Considering these can be got on 0% for €325 odd pm (whatever’s on the VW.ie website) it’s a bit of a no brainer for someone spending €300 on petrol / diesel a month.

If VW squeezed the range to 200 miles and fit the tech into an Arteon they’d have a run at Tesla.

• Advertisement

AmberGold wrote: »
    I was driving my Dads eGolf for the last day or so, all I can say is its blown me away. It’s a base spec with upgraded Media and the tech pack. The acceleration is unbelievable, on a par with a GTI. The adaptive cruise, stereo and nav are top class and the Apple car play is great. The lights as a feature are an upgrade for most manufacturers.

I managed to get 150 miles out of it driving B roads mainly in the UK which will cover most, the charger accepts CCS so it’s got the latest tech.

There’s a certain enjoyment to be had from rapid progress in a quiet car thats not guzzling the fuel.

Considering these can be got on 0% for €325 odd pm (whatever’s on the VW.ie website) it’s a bit of a no brainer for someone spending €300 on petrol / diesel a month.

If VW squeezed the range to 200 miles and fit the tech into an Arteon they’d have a run at Tesla.

No more range on eGolf, it will be end of marketing next year when ID comes out

You are right and brill car

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's their plan :)

Read up a bit more about what VW currently has in the pipeline on EVs. Dieselgate is probably the best thing that ever happened to them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Great to hear.

What type roads were you driving to get 150 miles?

In an efficient EV like the eGolf is, it's not really hard to get more range (240km) on B roads at 60-80km/h than the official WLTP range (200km)

I'm not surprised at that figure at all. At those speeds an EV excels.

unkel wrote: »
    In an efficient EV like the eGolf is, it's not really hard to get more range (240km) on B roads at 60-80km/h than the official WLTP range (200km)

I'm not surprised at that figure at all. At those speeds an EV excels.

I get 150 miles out of my 2019 no problem.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I don't have an eGolf myself, but my Ioniq is even more efficient. It has the same WLTP range as the eGolf. I haven't tried it, but I'd say I can get about 300km with a light foot on country roads. Someone hypermiled it to 431km and still had 4% left. From the tiny 28kWh battery.

Best thing about the eGolf is nobody knows it's electric :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I get 150 miles out of my 2019 no problem.

Great to hear.

Is that city driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I'd caution about the 150 mile figures.

In winter 100 miles is closer what you will see.

Especially with no heat pump.

Old diesel wrote: »
    I'd caution about the 150 mile figures.

In winter 100 miles is closer what you will see.

Especially with no heat pump.

Really?

The Gen 1 would drop a bit with winter but not a huge drop off like that

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Great to hear.

What type roads were you driving to get 150 miles?

I drove from Cardiff to Holyhead via the Snowdonia National Park, plenty of recharges on the descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Really?

The Gen 1 would drop a bit with winter but not a huge drop off like that

150 is very high end in the first place imo.

I'd have been thinking 125 in summer myself.

Old diesel wrote: »
    150 is very high end in the first place imo.

I'd have been thinking 125 in summer myself.

Very much depends on your driving. EVs are really good at B roads at limited speeds. I drive my own car very hard, but I rarely do sustained 120km/h motorway driving. Most of my driving is local or at limited speeds, not much of it over 100km/h. I reset my monitor a few weeks ago and it is showing me an average of 11.5kWh/100km since then. That corresponds with a range of over 240km (150 miles) that I indeed get on my GOM after a full charge overnight

eGolf has the same WLTP as Ioniq at about 120miles, both cars have a very efficient drive train, so if you drive them where they are really good, 150 miles is the norm (in summer of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

celtic_oz wrote: »

Starting out not fully charged, as he said, was definitely a rookie mistake. Also the maintenance and availability of charging points is definitely an issue. If there is a good chance that a charger isn't working when you get to it, it's a big problem for the longer journeys.

I love my eGolf, but I wouldn't take it on a long trip like he was attempting. To have just a single family car, you definitely need a greater range if you plan to regularly do road trips. For me, it's the perfect commuter and about-town car, which is probably 95% of my driving.

Starting out not fully charged, as he said, was definitely a rookie mistake. Also the maintenance and availability of charging points is definitely an issue. If there is a good chance that a charger isn't working when you get to it, it's a big problem for the longer journeys.

I love my eGolf, but I wouldn't take it on a long trip like he was attempting. To have just a single family car, you definitely need a greater range if you plan to regularly do road trips. For me, it's the perfect commuter and about-town car, which is probably 95% of my driving.

Long trip across the UK and hitting that interchange.....not on your f**king life would I bring eGolf :p

As he says himself it is perfect for spinning around.

It is worth nothing the distance he travelled, also it is a terrible drive, especially on a weekend.

Similar to driving from Belfast to Dublin but hitting Dublin right at rush hour and driving all the way from one side of the city to the other....throught the city:p:p:p:p:p traffic hell

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Great to hear.

Is that city driving?

Yeah. Mix of urban streets, dual carriageway plus some stop start highway. Commute is 8 miles one way.

I call BS on that article, at one point he states “130 miles on the battery and just 96 miles to travel” not being enough.

This wasn’t my experience at all. I found using mostly Eco + on the lengthy drive I did to be perfectly predictable and adequate performance wise.

I call BS on that article, at one point he states “130 miles on the battery and just 96 miles to travel” not being enough.

This wasn’t my experience at all. I found using mostly Eco + on the lengthy drive I did to be perfectly predictable and adequate performance wise.

It mentions that he was recommended on wya back to turn off aircon so that would suggest he was running in normal mode and not in Eco or Eco+...

If aircon was on you would see that drop off. Also it looked to be raining, he mentioned the heated seats as well.....

To have just a single family car, you definitely need a greater range if you plan to regularly do road trips.

Not if you have a network of reliable fast chargers where you don't have to wait. Like in the Netherlands, fast chargers literally everywhere. You don't even have to plan your journey over there. Low battery warning light comes on? Ah, sure I'll stop at the next fast charger. Just like we have been doing for decades in our ICE cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

I got an eGolf Executive three weeks ago and so far it's been a bit of a revelation. I moved from a long line of petrol and diesel cars and I was a bit apprehensive about losing the "driving experience" but now I can't ever see myself driving anything but electric again. The car is a pleasure to drive and I look forward to driving it.

I'd echo the above, for short runs it's ideal. I drive about 20-30km a day around town and the Golf is perfect for that. I've driven more than that the last three weeks as I've been going out for spins just because its new and I like driving it.

So far I've done a mix of home charging and public charging. I can't say I've hit any issues with chargers not working just yet but it's only been a few weeks, I've used 5 different chargers in different locations and all have worked for me.
    One problem I have had is because the charge port on the golf is at the rear and depending on which charging spot is already occupied and can't get the charge cable to reach, maybe I'm doing something wrong. For example, I stopped at a charge point, when I arrived there was an eNiro parked in the right bay using the CCS. I thought okay I'll use the AC so I drove straight in but the cable wouldn't reach, I tried reversing in but it still wouldn't reach.

I did my first "long" run in it last weekend, about 170km (most of which was motorway). The cars GOM was telling me it would make it and I'd have 30km to spare if I drove at 110km. I didn't want to risk it as I'm still not 100% confident that the car will do what it says so I stopped for a charge. I tried driving at 120km and watched as the GOM dropped at speed.

They are very expensive for what they are, I bought it as a company car so that takes the sting out of the price. I've yet to see another one on the road so I'm enjoying the exclusivity :)

unkel wrote: »
    Not if you have a network of reliable fast chargers where you don't have to wait. Like in the Netherlands, fast chargers literally everywhere. You don't even have to plan your journey over there. Low battery warning light comes on? Ah, sure I'll stop at the next fast charger. Just like we have been doing for decades in our ICE cars.

Yeah absolutely, no argument there. But it's not the case in UK & Ireland it seems.

It sure isn't!

pobber1 wrote: »
    I got an eGolf Executive three weeks ago and so far it's been a bit of a revelation. I moved from a long line of petrol and diesel cars and I was a bit apprehensive about losing the "driving experience" but now I can't ever see myself driving anything but electric again. The car is a pleasure to drive and I look forward to driving it.

I'd echo the above, for short runs it's ideal. I drive about 20-30km a day around town and the Golf is perfect for that. I've driven more than that the last three weeks as I've been going out for spins just because its new and I like driving it.

So far I've done a mix of home charging and public charging. I can't say I've hit any issues with chargers not working just yet but it's only been a few weeks, I've used 5 different chargers in different locations and all have worked for me.
    One problem I have had is because the charge port on the golf is at the rear and depending on which charging spot is already occupied and can't get the charge cable to reach, maybe I'm doing something wrong. For example, I stopped at a charge point, when I arrived there was an eNiro parked in the right bay using the CCS. I thought okay I'll use the AC so I drove straight in but the cable wouldn't reach, I tried reversing in but it still wouldn't reach.

I did my first "long" run in it last weekend, about 170km (most of which was motorway). The cars GOM was telling me it would make it and I'd have 30km to spare if I drove at 110km. I didn't want to risk it as I'm still not 100% confident that the car will do what it says so I stopped for a charge. I tried driving at 120km and watched as the GOM dropped at speed.

They are very expensive for what they are, I bought it as a company car so that takes the sting out of the price. I've yet to see another one on the road so I'm enjoying the exclusivity :)

Charge port is a problem for the public chargers. I found this the few times I used the eCars system. The one in Navan is especially a pain in the bum.....

The GOM is, well lets say optimistic when you first take off.....best to settle into driving on long distance and then it is very precise. If you up the speed then you will notice it reducing the distance so I always have satnav going to make sure I make it.....

On the long distance as I had the Gen 1 I had it more or less so I would land at location with 5km left.....

A good few on road now, the tell take is the strips of led along the front but apart from that you wouldnt notice which is what I loved about it....everyone just thinks it is a Golf

pobber1 wrote: »

I've found the range meter to be very accurate on my 2019 SE model. It has been fairly bang on since the beginning.

I have to say, since I've gotten the eGolf, my reversing into spaces skills have been very highly utilised :) I unbeknown to myself have always just driven in straight to a parking spot. Having the charge point at the back has 'reversed' by behaviour*

*i'll get my coat :p

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 3 Dyan

In spring 2017, the e-Golf had a model upgrade with a larger battery.
    In the UK, prices are still at 33.8K pounds, still the original price.
    But in Germany, the price has decreased from 35,900 euros to 31,900 euros.
    The news on 02.09.2019:
    Official Volkswagen confirmed the lower price in the UK for the e-Golf:
    The price of the e-Golf to £31k, which equates to £27.5k after the Government’s Plug-In Car Grant.
    Recently, the Brexit will also have a little influences.

Advertisement