Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Dunno, maybe the listening public like predictability. She just keeps churning out the same old views, the same agendas with same the guests popping up again and again. You can pretty much predict what questions she will ask and what she lets slip by.

She was refreshing and good once IMHO but a tired docket these days. Happens to all the best, stay too long.

Try, Marian, ever the voice of Current Affairs in Ireland is a pain in the side of commercial stations, that once tried to pinch her from RTE, but failed. Seems to me, that they haven't yet got over that!

Greenman wrote: »
    She didn't sound great, health wise. She is in the pay of Philip Morris :-( I wonder if she had her time again would she have started? just a thought.

That's her business and has nothing got to do with your guesswork.

The thing that is really frustrating is that nothing ever gets done. Nobody is held to account for the poor performances. And the next time her contract is up for renewal, her agent will walk in to RTE management and convince them that Marion is the best broadcaster in the country and probably get her a pay rise. If it was illness then you could have some sympathy, but the fact that she just keeps on smoking means that she is not treating the high profile and high paid job that she has with the professionalism it should be. Like a professional footballer who goes out drinking before a match.
    Figures (listenship) regularly return some of the best in the country for her programmes. Are you used to listening better. List them please.

She gets the same old listeners like yourself every week, so no need to change.

She also gets the regular 'knockers' on here every week. Never a constructive argument to demonstrate "awful programme", but always full of personal jibes. Bravery behind keyboards.

Just heard a replay of yesterday’s Sat. show.

The lady could hardly talk with the wheezing and throat clearing.

Started right from the off.

Cheerleading the 'moan' crowd again Brendan. Can you manage a 'constructive critique' . Maybe beyond your thought processing power?

TBh i think the Marian show is a bit like the Office. You listen and wonder, is this for real or is it a comedy send off. Her speciality seems to be , those with a serious sense of entitlement and/or Insiders, those who existin the same bubble as her and her like. For example, yesterday mornings opener, a couple of actors, involved with the Abbey. They went on and on, about how vital the Abbey is to irish culture etc. Marian seemed to agree completely with them. No akward questions about how much tax payers moneyhas to go into supporting the place. Personally i have never been in the Abbey and im not sure i know anyone who actually has been to a show there. Im not saying places like this dont have to feature or be supported, but the way marian and friends discuss such things you would think it was a matter of life and death.
    Then she just slips in something about how nasty people burned down the hotel in Roosky to stop asylum seekers moving there. This shows how insulated she is from normal people. You may agree or disagree with what happened in Roosky, but resettling people coming from that difficult background in a small rural town with limited amenities is surely unfair to all concerned and likely to store up problems for the future.
    You can be sure there wont be a direct provision center getting built in Montrose

Thank you. At least you've demonstrated to the rest of us that this programme is outside your comprehension.

I'm talking about Murray as a means of getting her out the door straight away, and using the resources that are already in your employ. I would prefer Brendan O'Connor permanently as well. This whole myth that "well if Marion goes to another station the figures will go through the floor" is just that - a myth. And RTE are never strong enough to actually challenge the presenters on this. How many listeners did they lose when Pat Kenny left? The world did not end, and Sean O'Rourke was just as good as Kenny (slightly better imo as he has a better sense of humour). And the Marion Finucane of 2018 is no Pat Kenny. She wanted to be a contractor for money reasons, and this gives RTE the option of not renewing.

who do we have on today. I'm guessing a plumber, a chippie and a brickie?

Are you asking for a place on the programme?

I'd love to know if the show's ratings drop when Marian isn't on the air. Do people tune in because it's Marian or simply out of habit. My feeling is that Marian's no Gerry Ryan. He had a dedicated fanbase of people who interacted with the show and felt a connection to him because of his broadcasting style. Do people really connect with Marian to this extent? I'd love to hire her agent though - who wouldn't love to earn money like hers for such little time on the air?

Your simply saying that your efforts in radio failed. Mariana record is second to none over (her) lifetime of broadcasting. And then along comes you...

One of the great mysteries of our time U.

Better minds than I have failed to crack that one.

At least you openly admit your (radio) qualification.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    She coughed and spluttered her way through the intro this morning - even worse than usual as she obviously has a dose of something - are there no production standards in RTE where the big names are concerned? When are you unfit to present a show?

Are you now medically diagnosing over airways? How serious is it doc?

Oops69 wrote: »
    she's in a desperate state this morning , st vincents on standby with the oxygen , she should have called in sick this morning and reflected on a variety of things .

You mustn't have been ready to 'step in' so. That's professionalism for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

sideboard wrote: »
    Your simply saying that your efforts in radio failed.

What on earth are you on about?

Mariana(sic) record is second to none over (her) lifetime of broadcasting. And then along comes you...

As someone whose taxes go towards paying Marian's high wages, I am entitled to ask questions about where my money is going. I am not disputing what Marian did 20, 30, 40 years ago on radio. In 2019, we're paying through the nose for her to present 4 hours of radio on weekend mornings. Especially now that her voice has audibly deteriorated and she clearly has respiratory issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Don't indulge him/her lads. This is the type of abuse s/he'll resort to when challenged.
    Sideboard response: - 'Sorry Sligojerk, can't make head nor tail of what your getting at...maybe it is past your best (sic) time?"

9 months in the wilderness and back with the same nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 charlotte.york

As someone whose taxes go towards paying Marian's high wages, I am entitled to ask questions about where my money is going. I am not disputing what Marian did 20, 30, 40 years ago on radio. In 2019, we're paying through on weekend mornings. Especially now that her voice has audibly deteriorated and she clearly has respiratory issues.
    Her show construction is pretty poor too.

As someone whose taxes go towards paying Marian's high wages, I am entitled to ask questions about where my money is going. I am not disputing what Marian did 20, 30, 40 years ago on radio. In 2019, we're paying through the nose for her to present 4 hours of radio on weekend mornings. Especially now that her voice has audibly deteriorated and she clearly has respiratory issues.

All our taxes go to Public Sector wages. Marion is Private (as is often stated here). You need to address your concerns to RTE, but leave people who have no way to defend themselves out of your personal gripe.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Don't indulge him/her lads. This is the type of abuse s/he'll resort to when challenged.

Glad you keep my memos. I must have said something too close to the truth?

All our taxes go to Public Sector wages. Marion is Private (as is often stated here). You need to address your concerns to RTE, but leave people who have no way to defend themselves out of your personal gripe.

No. she is a contractor paid for the public.

No. she is a contractor paid for the public.

Contractors are not public servants, they have none of the conditions of a ps worker.

Contractors are not public servants, they have none of the conditions of a ps worker.

Yes but I didn't said they do. She is a contractor as it saves her money. The concern is her extreme cost for mediocre work.

No need to take my word...look at listenership ratings.

• Advertisement

No need to take my word...look at listenership ratings.

That doesn't prove RTE is getting a good deal. I know my wallet isnt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Glad you keep my memos. I must have said something too close to the truth?
    Your posting history is there for all to see. I've better things to do than be obsessed with people. See ya later

Your posting history is there for all to see. I've better things to do than be obsessed with people. See ya later

Both our posting history is there for all to see. I am happy to defend good radio programmes from the PS, but happy to see improvements, when warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Maybe Maureen Gaffney should look at the fact that this generation has been locked out of the housing sector by her generation?

Jaysus that nurse may hang on in the studio after the show. There is more illness there than there is back in her hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

who opened the share bag of tayto crisps?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

McCarthy gave the nurses lady a good auld scutching.

I think the veneer is beginning to wear off this issue now.

Anybody listening to the interview with the interview with the Data Protection Commissioner today? I wasn't hugely impressed. First of all, for the first three questions she was asked she responded with the now all too common "soooooooooooo.... " before answering. I would have expected given that it was a formal interview she would have responded with a formal response. Maybe it's just me.

When asked about Cheryl Sandberg, she said that she'd read her book and that she met her and she spoke as if they were team mates. It's not her job to be friends with Cheryl Sandberg, it's her job to lay down the law for Facebook, especially given the recent documentary on FB moderation and given the fact that they seem to be sooooooooo (to use her own word) far behind. Reminded me a bit of Leo at Notting Hill, happy to just to be meeting famous people.

But then we've never done regulation well have we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

now an interview with a european investment banker ??... i'd prefer to ring up my accountant to explain the annual accounts again.

Anybody listening to the interview with the interview with the Data Protection Commissioner today? I wasn't hugely impressed. First of all, for the first three questions she was asked she responded with the now all too common "soooooooooooo.... " before answering. I would have expected given that it was a formal interview she would have responded with a formal response. Maybe it's just me.

When asked about Cheryl Sandberg, she said that she'd read her book and that she met her and she spoke as if they were team mates. It's not her job to be friends with Cheryl Sandberg, it's her job to lay down the law for Facebook, especially given the recent documentary on FB moderation and given the fact that they seem to be sooooooooo (to use her own word) far behind. Reminded me a bit of Leo at Notting Hill, happy to just to be meeting famous people.

But then we've never done regulation well have we?

First three.....:eek: She responded to almost every direct question with ‘soooo’

The accent comes from MaryLou McDonald territory?

Those ‘rrr’s’. !

Has to be from nearby.

• Advertisement

Interesting interview with Tony O'Brien. He does seem very angry. Seems like he's come on to settle a few old scores.

You would wonder how he ever got to the head of any organisation when he is prepared to take so little responsibility for his actions. It always somebody else's fault and he is very vociferous about assigning those people with that blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'd say he'd be great craic at a party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You would wonder how he ever got to the head of any organisation when he is prepared to take so little responsibility for his actions. It always somebody else's fault and he is very vociferous about assigning those people with that blame.

A common outlook that most of these high flying managers/directors have.bad news is Always someone else’s fault but when things go well the credit is solely down to him personally

It was a bit stupid that the texts ended up being either pro-PAC or pro-O'Brien. I think the core of it both the PAC and Tony O'Brien were looking after their own interests and neither really had the State as the priority.

Good interview by Marian though. Joe Rogan could take a few lessons, maybe he could watch this interview and then invite Jeff Dorsey back in to the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Good interview by Marian though.

Can’t agree with that.

I thought Marian was woefully underprepared for the interview. This was a valuable opportunity to get some insight on the inner workings of the health service and how that is manifested in current controversies from someone who was very recently at the top level of that service and may be willing to spill the beans on aspects of the HSE having been unceremoniously dumped out of it.

Instead, Marian asked questions that you would ask if he was still head of the HSE and interrupted him any time he started to expand on an answer (and looked like he might actually reveal new information). Let’s be clear, Marian phoned this in and the listener is the poorer for it.

Instead, Marian asked questions that you would ask if he was still head of the HSE and interrupted him any time he started to expand on an answer (and looked like he might actually reveal new information). Let’s be clear, Marian phoned this in and the listener is the poorer for it.

Hmm, I'd normally be the first to accuse her of not being prepared, which she frequently is. It was the fact that she got stuck in to him that I appreciated. But maybe that was just because I don't like the guy.

We dont gain very much from "getting stuck into" anyone in this situation.

He resigned and they cannot get anyone to replace him. What does that say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I think the strength of the show is that they can get someone like him to be interviewed for nearly an hour. I heard snippets-what I did hear was an angry guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I thought it was an oddly adversarial tone to her usual style of conversational interview. I don't think she got the best out of it either.
    Tony O'Brien (TOB) could have been used in this instance to lift the lid on structural and political failings / interference in the health sector. But I don't think she got to the core of that.
    I mean, here's a guy who was brought in to dismantle the HSE and then for political reasons ends up trying to keep it alive.
    His comments re the PAC are very valid IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I was driving yesterday so wasn't paying close attention but I did hear this from her.........

"I thought most farmers had an intimate relationship with their tractors" :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

dieselbug wrote: »
    I was driving yesterday so wasn't paying close attention but I did hear this from her.........

"I thought most farmers had an intimate relationship with their tractors" :eek:

She was a bit clueless thinking farmers don’t know their own tractors when the interviewee was promoting a product to mark equipment prone to being stolen. Thought that the product sounded great, making use of eircodes for identification purposes. Huge problem with farm breakins where I live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

a ' nursing and midwifrey consultant ' on the panel , this term alone is part of the issue , overqualified nurses applying for traditional nurse's roles but expecting salaries commensurate with their qualifications .Most of the stuff done by nurses can be done by healthcare assistants and we actually need fewer nurses with these qualifications, the whole structure of the staffing nd roles and responsibilities needs to be re assessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Thats impossible that would be about 28000 a year after 30 years if fulltime, how many days is that person working? They could be getting 450 every 2nd week for a day a weeks work?

Very interesting input from the lad Alan Barrett in today’s show.

Kind of blew a lot of the spin the nurses and Solidarity are putting out, clear out of the water.

First thing he acknowledged is that in situations like this everyone thinks that “they are special”. They are not, the HSE is a lot more than the nurses.

Another point which was touched on was the issue of recession and State coffers in difficult fiscal situations such as the 2007 collapse.

Do people in the PS really think that they should be immune from all the cold winds of recession whilst the rest of us are slaughtered?
    Do they really think that their pay and conditions should be sacrosanct no matter what?

If they do they need to wake up and wise up to the real world.

The programme was much more balanced than the crap that RTE have been putting out in other programmes where there was practically no balance.

About time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

€42,469 is top of payscale for nurses meaning (depending on family circumstances, married/single) between 577 and 650 a week after 30 years not 450. (This is before allowances overtime too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

honeybear wrote: »
    She was a bit clueless thinking farmers don’t know their own tractors when the interviewee was promoting a product to mark equipment prone to being stolen. Thought that the product sounded great, making use of eircodes for identification purposes. Huge problem with farm breakins where I live

Sounded like a good idea but thinking about it if we all recorded the unique serial numbers on items as advised by An Gardai and insurance companies would it not go along the same lines, as for machinery the VIN is registered to the rightful owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

dieselbug wrote: »
    Sounded like a good idea but thinking about it if we all recorded the unique serial numbers on items as advised by An Gardai and insurance companies would it not go along the same lines, as for machinery the VIN is registered to the rightful owner.

If people didn't buy equipment from "dodgy" sources it would help. The reality of it is that agricultural eqpt is only of use to another farmer so who is buying this stolen property? Likewise with eqpt from building sites again only of interest to another builder. :rolleyes:

Oops69 wrote: »
    Most of the stuff done by nurses can be done by healthcare assistants

I would agree that 'some' work, may be done by healthcare assistants, but when you say 'most'...could you list them please?

quote="Brendan Bendar;109385707"]
    >Kind of blew a lot of the spin the nurses and >Solidarity are putting out, clear out of the water.

Could you expand on your view of the 'spin' you mention?
    Also, 'kind of', doesn't sound very strong. The nurses spin was either blew out of the water, or wasn't. Which way are you spinning it?

>First thing he acknowledged is that in >situations like this everyone thinks that “they >are special”. They are not, the HSE is a lot more >than the nurses.

Nurses are the largest group in the healthcare sector. To me they are special, to the running of the service. Do you mean patients, medical or buildings are more special?

>Another point which was touched on was the >issue of recession and State coffers in difficult >fiscal situations such as the 2007 collapse.

>Do people in the PS really think that they should >be immune from all the cold winds of recession >whilst the rest of us are slaughtered?

Over the past decade, they have carried their share of the burden...maybe you have figures to dispute this, so please produce them?

>Do they really think that their pay and >conditions should be sacrosanct no matter what?

As I understand it, this dispute is about 'pay restoration'. Where do you interpret it as 'pay and conditions'?

>If they do they need to wake up and wise up to >the real world.

An extra billion here or there on an hospital that isn't complete yet, does not seem to register with you as significant. Maybe real world events pass you by?

>The programme was much more balanced than >the crap that RTE have been putting out in other >programmes where there was practically no >balance.

Whilst this is the first time I've noted you to credit this programme, I'm querying your consistency to tune into a station you appear to ' love to hate'

>About time. Touche [/quote]

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement