Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan's Kicks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Random o'shea ..speaking through an interpreter..that sketch was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 IsosKramer

13 minutes on everyone but SF.

15 seconds on Moany Loo decrying old man spit and telling everyone to wear their masks.

Almost 14 minutes more on everyone but SF, with six of those exclusively dedicated to FG.

We can see who's renting space in his head anyway.

The licence payers, are doing the paying.
    No doubt he's every bit as impartial as Frank Hall was back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,132 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

IsosKramer wrote: »
    The licence payers, are doing the paying.
    No doubt he's every bit as impartial as Frank Hall was back in the day.

He is certainly not........as anyone with half an eye can see.

Let’s not beat around the bush..... Hall wasn’t active on several other platforms pumping out SF dogma.

He is certainly not........as anyone with half an eye can see.

Let’s not beat around the bush..... Hall wasn’t active on several other platforms pumping out SF dogma.

I certainly wasn't praising Callan.
    I was (badly) making the point that he's no better than Hall.
    Hall was a blatantly biased Fianna Fáil supporter.
    He did indeed have another platform, a newspaper column, in which he even stated his support for FF, if I remember correctly

IsosKramer wrote: »
    I certainly wasn't praising Callan.
    I was (badly) making the point that he's no better than Hall.
    Hall was a blatantly biased Fianna Fáil supporter.
    He did indeed have another platform, a newspaper column, in which he even stated his support for FF, if I remember correctly

I have to accept that as I have little info on Hall.

From his contributions on various platforms, there is no doubt where Callan’s support lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

From his contributions on various platforms, there is no doubt where Callan’s support lies.

Callan's column from The Sun, 20/3/2019. Hardly the words of a Sinn Fein shill.

COMMENT
    Oliver Callan
    20 Mar 2019, 7:30Updated: 20 Mar 2019, 14:03
    SINN Fein’s banner stunt at the New York St Patrick’s parade reminded us that the DUP aren’t the only backward, out-of-touch party misrepresenting people in Northern Ireland.

Party leader Mary Lou ­McDonald paraded behind a ­banner with the archaic words “England Get Out of Ireland”, prompting widespread criticism.

Sinn Fein leader Mary Lou McDonald walks behind the banner which says 'England get out of Ireland' during the St Patrick's Day parade in New York
    It was immature, to put it mildly.

Brexit has exposed both main parties in the North for what they really are: two tribal factions married to ancient ways which play to their own mobs and avoid responsibility where possible.

The DUP’s ten MPs hold all the keys to unlocking the Brexit deal but are determined to frustrate progress against the interests of their own voters and economy.

Polls show the DUP’s supporters are opposed to the party’s Brexit stance, which risks a no-deal exit, followed ­immediately by a hard border.

On offer is the current Withdrawal Agreement, with its backstop insurance policy.

This deal would give Northern ­Ireland better prospects ­post-Brexit than those available to the Republic.

The plan gives the North unrestricted access to the markets of the south and the wider EU, as well as the rest of the UK.

It’s a golden opportunity for the large unionist farming industry who vote DUP.

The party’s path to frustrate Theresa May’s deal by demanding fundamental changes to the backstop that Europe has refused to bend to risks a no-deal scenario, which would hurt the North most.

A whole third of its trade, which goes to the south, would be placed in jeopardy. The Ulster Farmer’s Union says it would destroy the North’s farming sector.

It’s a no-brainer for the DUP, but they are married to a hardcore view around the symbolism of the backstop separating it economically from the UK.

The DUP seems to have forgotten that the backstop would only kick in if trade talks between Britain and the EU ­collapsed during a 20-month window set aside to forge a deal.

They’re the major cause of the no-deal threat.

About 40 MPs changed their view on May’s new deal between January and March, while Jacob Rees-Mogg’s faction of Tories are waiting for the DUP to soften its stance as cover for changing their own opposition.

Of course, Arlene Foster’s party are unfazed by the fact its own voters are frustrated by their handling of Brexit.

Being Northern Ireland, unionists don’t have another tribal faction to switch their vote to while the UUP remains a broken force.

The threat to the North’s economy is enormous and Foster’s MPs must know they need a Brexit deal as much as May.

The last thing they want is a fresh election that would probably kill off their balance of power status or put Jeremy Corbyn in No10.

John Bercow’s bombshell that he may not allow a third vote on the deal could mean the DUP has lost its chance, but if there was sign of them budging, the vote would likely go ahead.

Last week we saw motions being decided by a swing of just two or three votes.

This has upped the ante in terms of Sinn Fein’s responsibility in the arena of Brexit.

Its decision to collapse Stormont in 2017 looks increasingly devoid of reason, especially as it continues to change its mind as to its bottom lines to restore devolution.

Initially it was about the cash-for-ash scandal, then Irish language laws that it previously showed little interest in.

Last year it threw in same-sex marriage and abortion to muddy the waters further.

Sinn Fein does not take its seats at Westminster due to its long standing abstentionist policy.

Previously, it seemed that even if they took their seats, British MPs would ensure votes wouldn’t be swung by Shinners.

But with Tory discipline in tatters and even the Chief Whip not voting the way they’ve whipped their own party, you begin to see how Sinn Fein’s seven MPs could be instrumental.

Mary Lou’s party has maintained its mandate is to remain outside the Commons due to the mandatory oath of allegiance to the Queen.

However, time and again it has dramatically changed its positions and there’s little argument left why it shouldn’t end abstentionism.

The party opposed every EU referendum in Ireland, where laws were ceded to Brussels since the 1970s.

Its Brexit opposition and embracing of the EU flag is a spectacular break from decades of policy where it virulently attacked each step of EU integration.

All it took to become a Remainer party after 47 years of Euroscepticism was a motion at an Ard Fheis.

The party held a special one last year to allow Mary Lou succeed Gerry Adams as president. Why not have one now to change its abstentionist policy?

Does it even need an Ard Fheis?

It’s also policy to donate a portion of TDs’ salaries back to the party above the average industrial wage but Dessie Ellis is exempt from the rule.

Sinn Fein’s recent history is a series of climb-downs from former “core” positions.

With its Assembly members refusing to return to Stormont and its MPs claiming expenses for Westminster seats they won’t take, they are in no position to criticise the DUP or the voting shambles in the Commons.

The coming weeks and months are critical in shaping the future of the North as we near partition’s centenary.

Regressive moves like the DUP’s blocking of the best-of-both-worlds backstop and Sinn Fein’s clinging to old tropes that have no place in today’s Ireland do not represent the true Northern Ireland.

These two parties have spectacularly failed to show leadership just when their voters and communities need them most.

Not sure what point you're trying to make, Bren.

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Not sure what point you're trying to make, Bren.

Take your time B......

“He’s in trouble because he doesn’t understand the difference between harmless political satire and serious political comment.”

There’s a hint.

Take your time B......

“He’s in trouble because he doesn’t understand the difference between harmless political satire and serious political comment.”

There’s a hint.

That may or may not be true. Even if it is true, it doesn't prove that OC is a Sinn Fein shill.

• Advertisement

That may or may not be true. Even if it is true, it doesn't prove that OC is a Sinn Fein shill.

Fair enough, Bee.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,112 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Indeed, the article Brendi uses as evidence for his claim more or less says so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The general consensus from what I'm reading about him of late would seem to indicate that he's been slapped down a bit. Not a good look for someone who considers themselves a satirist.

One can take from that, that while my own held opinion (and that of at least one other), that there is a bang of chucky off him, may have been based in fact at one time, but it is now somewhat dated.

There's no doubt in my mind that his political leanings come a distant second to his need to flounce and make himself heard, and I have always thought so. In that respect his currency on Twitter ranks about as high with me as that of Paddy Cosgrave.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,127 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

His impression of Brendan O’Connor always makes me laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He's from iniskeen in monaghan, it wouldnt be safe for his family if he was anything else

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    He's from iniskeen in monaghan, it wouldnt be safe for his family if he was anything else

Good point MM.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,127 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

That spoof Jamie Dornan trailer was good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That spoof Jamie Dornan trailer was good :)

That was the actual trailer, wasn’t a spoof. :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The dobbo is very good, he could stand in for him if he’s ever sick. Have to say enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I like the new "Gossip Guy" segment.

Would like if there were more Liberal Ladies sketches too, only 1 this series so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭patob

Just caught up with this, funny sketch on the DryRobe wars in South county. He is really going to town on the Leo leaks persona and his Micheal and Boris are coming along nicely. His
    Brian Kerr taxi driver character is spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dr golden 2

He has gone way down hill

He has gone way down hill

Waste of space, way too fond of smelling himself.

His politics will make him unemployable, if he keeps at it, not on the podcast, but on other outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Waste of space, way too fond of smelling himself.

His politics will make him unemployable, if he keeps at it, not on the podcast, but on other outlets.

Would you get a grip!! You're one of several on this Board who thinks he is the greatest living expert on Irish radio and you seem to have an adverse opinion of everyone. Classic barstool bulls*t.

Stick to Spotify and you can then be as sanctimonious to yourself as you like and no-one else will have to read your constant piffle.

patob wrote: »
    Just caught up with this, funny sketch on the DryRobe wars in South county. He is really going to town on the Leo leaks persona and his Micheal and Boris are coming along nicely. His

Hashtag totes ledge Tanaiste!

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Would you get a grip!! You're one of several on this Board who thinks he is the greatest living expert on Irish radio and you seem to have an adverse opinion of everyone. Classic barstool bulls*t.

Stick to Spotify and you can then be as sanctimonious to yourself as you like and no-one else will have to read your constant piffle.

Incorrect, my friend.

It’s just I am able to evaluate output objectively without running around with my hair on fire.

I feel I am very fair and honest in my critiques.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Hashtag totes ledge Tanaiste!

Co-Teesh.

And this post starts with: "Would you get a grip!".
    As Bart Simpson would say, the ironing is delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

You must not be familiar with boards.ie Ignore lists.

Since I discovered that functionality, my boards experience has improved immeasurably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

patob wrote: »
    His

Do like his Brian Kerr, Des Cahill & Marty sketches

Advertisement