Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Kamikaze Kamado

Brian? wrote: »
    Some people waaay over smoked food, destroy it. You’re right, same as some people with hops and beer.

It really depends on your meat though. In terms of how much smoker you want:

Poultry<pork<beef.

Beef can take a lot of oak smoke and be very tasty. I find with chicken I want to barely taste the smoke.

I'd completely agree, over smoked meat can be sickly. Chicken is best with a wet brine followed by a dry rub only whereas pork and beef are better with a dry rub followed by smoking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'd completely agree, over smoked meat can be sickly. Chicken is best with a wet brine followed by a dry rub only whereas pork and beef are better with a dry rub followed by smoking.

Have you brined chicken in buttermilk yet? I did it for the first time 2 weeks ago. Game changer, unbelievable

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ned01

Have you brined chicken in buttermilk yet? I did it for the first time 2 weeks ago. Game changer, unbelievable

How long did you brine it for and did you add anything else other than buttermilk? It's something I've been meaning to try but never got around to it.

Ned01 wrote: »
    How long did you brine it for and did you add anything else other than buttermilk? It's something I've been meaning to try but never got around to it.

Buttermilk and salt for 24 hours.

Salt the chicken well and then add 2 tablespoons of salt to the buttermilk and brine. This is for a whole chicken.

they/them/theirs

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Would the 3-2-1 Method be too long for this size Spare Ribs? I've 5 going into a rack on a Mastertouch tomorrow. I'll be going indirect heat using the charcoal baskets

Thanks!
    wFOmtWkl.jpg

• Advertisement

conor_ie wrote: »
    Would the 3-2-1 Method be too long for this size Spare Ribs? I've 5 going into a rack on a Mastertouch tomorrow. I'll be going indirect heat using the charcoal baskets

Thanks!
    wFOmtWkl.jpg

Sorry to be picky, but there's no scale so it's really hard to know.

3-2-1 works well for gargantuan American ribs. I usually so 2.5-1.5-0.5

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Sorry to be picky, but there's no scale so it's really hard to know.

3-2-1 works well for gargantuan American ribs. I usually so 2.5-1.5-0.5

Same, 321 is miles off for Irish baby backs

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thanks!
    wFOmtWkl.jpg

Are those not baby backs rather than spare ribs?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

I just let them open at 110c until done. No wrap in foil. Just do the bendy test. Takes about 4 hours for European/small ribs. You can spritz them if you like but I find no need tbh. The bark tends to keep the juices in.

Cork Boy wrote: »
    I just let them open at 110c until done. No wrap in foil. Just do the bendy test. Takes about 4 hours for European/small ribs. You can spritz them if you like but I find no need tbh. The bark tends to keep the juices in.

This also works

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Not exactly bbq related but charcoal related.

I know nothing about charcoal.

I want to try the Indian method of smoking foods called the "dhungar" method.

Like this: https://youtu.be/Mq4a0HWR3Zk

However I want to make sure in using a good charcoal that's basically just a bit if wood. I've seen those round nicely formed charcoal pellets around the place. I don't want to use them, probably full of turpentine or something.

So what exactly am I looking for? Where do people get the good shtuff? Hardly dunnes or tesco.

That's lump charcoal. The neatly formed ones are briquettes. You want lump charcoal.
    I'm not in Ireland but Weber is always a safe bet.

This also works

I think the foil and liquid thing is only needed on large American ribs and is a shortcut when time is limited (eg at competitions). I've heard plenty of pros saying they just set and forget at home. So at home they'll do 6-0-0.5 or something. Again, that's on large American cuts.

I think the foil and liquid thing is only needed on large American ribs and is a shortcut when time is limited (eg at competitions). I've heard plenty of pros saying they just set and forget at home. So at home they'll do 6-0-0.5 or something. Again, that's on large American cuts.

I wrap my ribs in foil with butter and sugar. Gives a fat more predictable cook time. Every rack stalls differently and the foil stops the stall.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I did three racks of Baby backs yesterday. 2-1.5-.45 - rest for 15

wrapped with cider, ghee and a little brown sugar

Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lidl have those BBQ pizza ovens on offer next week, any good?

budgemook wrote: »
    Just on rib racks - they pop up in Lidl every now and then along with beercan chicken holders.

Used rib racks today for the first time (ie, Ikea Lid holder). Game changer. 4 hours at 110c and spritzed with apple juice every so often. Great bark. Juicy ribs. Jawb.

Got 6 racks on the 57cm kettle with room to spare. Had the bone side facing the heat to shield the meat from the coals. A handful of soaked apple wood chips was the perfect amount of smoke.

3 racks with magic dust, 3 with Memphis rub. I think the Memphis is the way to go for ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭bamayang

Used rib racks today for the first time (ie, Ikea Lid holder). Game changer. 4 hours at 110c and spritzed with apple juice every so often. Great bark. Juicy ribs. Jawb.

Got 6 racks on the 57cm kettle with room to spare. Had the bone side facing the heat to shield the meat from the coals. A handful of soaked apple wood chips was the perfect amount of smoke.

3 racks with magic dust, 3 with Memphis rub. I think the Memphis is the way to go for ribs.

Sound class!! Any pics?

bamayang wrote: »
    Sound class!! Any pics?

There was. But they were eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

rob316 wrote: »
    Lidl have those BBQ pizza ovens on offer next week, any good?

Useless bought one a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

rAkI9lGl.jpg

Babyback Ribs!

2 hours, 1 hour wrapped, 30 minutes covered in BBQ Sauce!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Some grilling earlier, great bit of weather for it

South African Boerewors and some corn

77L4Mgy.jpg

krSLMsG.jpg

5tCwUl5.jpg

kyF1r66.jpg

Nice one! Where did you get the boerewors?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Nice one! Where did you get the boerewors?

Higgins butcher is yer only man my friend

Higgins butcher is yer only man my friend

Are they fresh or frozen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Guys for years ive been a gas man but my trusty 4 burner gave up the ghost after many years recently. Were due to move house in about 6-8 months so I saw this as an ideal opportunity to try and give charcoals a go before investing in a 'keeper' of an over in our new house. I picked up a webber kettle drum type bbq (57cm) and am going to start using it over the next few months. Im writing here to ask for advice on where to start with bbq'ing with charcoal for the first time...
    fundamental tips is what im after.... any links of anything I could be pointed in the right direction for.
    Thanks in adavce

Guys for years ive been a gas man but my trusty 4 burner gave up the ghost after many years recently. Were due to move house in about 6-8 months so I saw this as an ideal opportunity to try and give charcoals a go before investing in a 'keeper' of an over in our new house. I picked up a webber kettle drum type bbq (57cm) and am going to start using it over the next few months. Im writing here to ask for advice on where to start with bbq'ing with charcoal for the first time...
    fundamental tips is what im after.... any links of anything I could be pointed in the right direction for.
    Thanks in adavce

I’m prob a year ahead of you and have been using a Webber since this time last year. Love using it as often as I can. I have only basic advise, but the following helped me:
    Get a charcoal kettle, essential!
    Get good charcoal.
    Get the charcoal little fire lighter things in also/Amazon
    After that just use it loads and you will very quickly understand how it works and what’s best way to cook on it.

rAkI9lGl.jpg

Babyback Ribs!

2 hours, 1 hour wrapped, 30 minutes covered in BBQ Sauce!

Is there anything special about the way you lined up charcoal? I’ve seen people do snake method or light 2/3 coals and leave next to a pile of in-lit ones.
    Doing a rack this weekend for the first time.

I’m prob a year ahead of you and have been using a Webber since this time last year. Love using it as often as I can. I have only basic advise, but the following helped me:
    Get a charcoal kettle, essential!
    Get good charcoal.
    Get the charcoal little fire lighter things in also/Amazon
    After that just use it loads and you will very quickly understand how it works and what’s best way to cook on it.
    Thanks in adavce
    Is there anything special about the way you lined up charcoal? I’ve seen people do snake method or light 2/3 coals and leave next to a pile of in-lit ones.
    Doing a rack this weekend for the first time.

The first site I check for everything BBQ related:

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/how-control-temperature-indirect/

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭DaSchmo

Thanks in adavce

Get a chimney starter for the charcoal, especially if using briquettes

Personally I only use briquettes in my weber when doing low and slow cooks, for all else it's lumpwood. There are lots of good lumpwoods out there (weber lumpwood itself is great) just avoid the "instant light" rubbish in the paper bags.

What's key for most day to day stuff in a weber etc (burgers, sausages, chicken, steaks etc) is to bank the coals on one half of the weber only so you have two zones to cook on. You'll find that besides relatively thin steaks that you can / should start the majority of items on the cooler side and approach the direct heat over the coals with caution and use for searing or when the coals cool down a bit - otherwise you'll tend to burn things.

Enjoy

Advertisement