Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Cheers. Was tempted to purchase. Have you tried or is it just reviews?

I know it's not grilling but I get fantastic results using a non stick pan. Get it screaming hot and add your base. Sauce and dress the pizza. The underside of the base should have brown spots on it by now (check with a spoon).

Finish the pizza in the pan under a screaming hot grill.

This is a fantastic base recipe: https://www.ilovecooking.ie/food-tv/patrick-ryans-no-fuss-sourdough-pizza/

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Hi guys...

I've a 26 inch mastertouch with the hinged lid...
    Does anyone else have one and use the rotisserie or the pizza converter? How do you find taking the hinge out to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Chinese Lamb Kebabs (Yang Rou Chuan)

OwcI01F.jpg

eilI3rO.jpg

XQdu6jO.jpg

NdW9dsH.jpg

4Tye66v.jpg

soen081.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cork Boy wrote: »
    I know it's not grilling but I get fantastic results using a non stick pan. Get it screaming hot and add your base.
    I use a uncoated cast iron pan/skillet.

Most non stick pans will be ruined if you get them "screaming hot" esp. if there is no oil on them.

rubadub wrote: »

Most non stick pans will be ruined if you get them "screaming hot" esp. if there is no oil on them.

Mine looks destroyed but still doesn't stick. Nearly 10 years old now. Maybe it's been seasoned through use *shrugs shoulders*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

rubadub wrote: »

They won't be destroyed. They can be re seasoned

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭budgemook

Brian? wrote: »
    They won't be destroyed. They can be re seasoned

Non stick pans can be re-seasoned? I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭con747

budgemook wrote: »
    Non stick pans can be re-seasoned? I don't think so

Have a google on that. https://www.wikihow.com/Re‐Season-a-Nonstick-Pan
    Just one of many ways.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,802 ✭✭✭squonk

picachu wrote: »
    Hi guys...

I've a 26 inch mastertouch with the hinged lid...
    Does anyone else have one and use the rotisserie or the pizza converter? How do you find taking the hinge out to use it?

Where did you get the 26”? I’ve seen YouTube stuff with guys using them in the states but I didn’t see them on the Weber site here.

con747 wrote: »
    Have a google on that. https://www.wikihow.com/Re‐Season-a-Nonstick-Pan
    Just one of many ways.

Ok. Seasoning and non stick coating are not the same thing. When the non stick coating is done, the pan is done. Seasoning one seems a bit redundant to me.

But anyway, not a topic for a bbq forum I suppose.

• Advertisement

I use mini frying pans on my bbq for eggs amongst other things so I don't see why it's not a valid topic. If you don't agree that non stick pans with scratches or other flaws can be re-seasoned that's your opinion, there are plenty of ways to do it effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

I guess it's just down to how you feel about eating bits of Teflon whether to stay using an old scratched pan. It's probably safe enough it inert but not very appetizing. I'm very careful with my non stick pans I don't use full heat on them when empty and absolutely no metal utensils. Hand wash to dishwasher is hard on them in the long term. If I want searing heat or to put in on the bbq I use my cast iron pan.

I'm not for or against re-seasoning a pan, just stating it can be done. As far as eating Teflon goes I have yet to see anything that states much more than "can" "could" in regards to that. I stand to be corrected though.

Ryath wrote: »
    I guess it's just down to how you feel about eating bits of Teflon whether to stay using an old scratched pan. It's probably safe enough it inert but not very appetizing. I'm very careful with my non stick pans I don't use full heat on them when empty and absolutely no metal utensils. Hand wash to dishwasher is hard on them in the long term. If I want searing heat or to put in on the bbq I use my cast iron pan.

Teflon is fine, it won't stick to your insides......

they/them/theirs

Might even aid digestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

“Teflon Guts” what a great name!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Having great success with various pork bits on medium long cooks on the Weber.

Had some pork neck from my butcher the other day, cut a kilo into 200g pieces, bit of random rub, cooked for 2/2.5 hours at like 350f (seared first). Then sliced up, doused in BBQ sauce, RIDICULOUS. Have done the same for pork belly too.

No crazy setups, just dump some hot coals into some unlit coals in the basket, set the vents at maybe 1/4 each, temp stablises (using blue bag ) usually around the 300/350 mark.

Charred, blackened, moist delicious bbq.

Of course we ate them way too quickly to take a photo. :D:D

Second time trying ribs. Used memphis dust instead of magic dust this time. They were a much bigger hit as the magic dust was too overpowering. I think next time I'd do half with one and half with the other.

The smaller ribs should have been taken off the grill much sooner. Ah well, live and learn. They were the ones that got sauced so that added back some moisture.

Smoked/Cooked at 110C for about 4 hours. Spritzed intermittently with 50/50 water/apple cider vinegar.

The ring method works so so well.

xROOoqFl.jpg

jR8VYzTl.jpg

K6T5YMBl.jpg

Second time trying ribs. Used memphis dust instead of magic dust this time. They were a much bigger hit as the magic dust was too overpowering. I think next time I'd do half with one and half with the other.

The smaller ribs should have been taken off the grill much sooner. Ah well, live and learn. They were the ones that got sauced so that added back some moisture.

Smoked/Cooked at 110C for about 4 hours. Spritzed intermittently with 50/50 water/apple cider vinegar.

The ring method works so so well.

xROOoqF.jpg

jR8VYzT.jpg

K6T5YMB.jpg

I would suggest you're overloading that grill, get yourself a rib rack. The left most ribs are being direct grilled.

I'd also switch from chips to wood chunks.

Good work

they/them/theirs

I would suggest you're overloading that grill, get yourself a rib rack. The left most ribs are being direct grilled.

I'd also switch from chips to wood chunks.

Good work

Thanks for the tips! I'm getting those ikea pot lid holders, they seem to be highly recommended.

What's the benefit of chunks over chips? I soaked a handful of chips the night before and they gave off a lovely taste. I don't like too much smoke either...

Edit: lol, just bought the ikea lid holder on amazon.de and the reviews are all pictures of people using it as a ribs holder with comments like "lid holder must be swedish for ribs holder"

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips! I'm getting those ikea pot lid holders, they seem to be highly recommended.

What's the benefit of chunks over chips? I soaked a handful of chips the night before and they gave off a lovely taste. I don't like too much smoke either...

Edit: lol, just bought the ikea lid holder on amazon.de and the reviews are all pictures of people using it as a ribs holder with comments like "lid holder must be swedish for ribs holder"

The chips burn off very quickly, chunks last longer

they/them/theirs

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'll second that, I bought a bag of chips for my kamado and they're useless. Even if you give them a good long soaking they'll not last very long at all.

But I only like lightly smoked so I find the chips work better for me

Just on rib racks - they pop up in Lidl every now and then along with beercan chicken holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I learned the hard way with hickory chunks last year. think I had two chunks in the Weber and they completely overpowered the whole turkey. Skin was inedible.

1 small chunk is more than enough in my experience. Maybe I will move to chips from chunks!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Can I ask what way you had your vents sent up? I'm doing ribs on a rack on a mastertouch using Weber Briquettes this weekend

conor_ie wrote: »
    Can I ask what way you had your vents sent up? I'm doing ribs on a rack on a mastertouch using Weber Briquettes this weekend

Of course!

I set up the ring like the image above and get a few hot coals burning in the chimney. I then lay these around the start of the ring.

While this is going on the vents are about half ways open. After the temp stabilises, I generally find I need to nearly close the top one down completely but underneath must stay a third open or the fire will die.

It also depends on the weather, your briquettes (I was using grillis from profagus) and other environmental factors.

Lastly, I think ribs are meant to be quiet forgiving in the 105-130 range so don't panic and make adjustments in small increments.

Enjoy!

I learned the hard way with hickory chunks last year. think I had two chunks in the Weber and they completely overpowered the whole turkey. Skin was inedible.

1 small chunk is more than enough in my experience. Maybe I will move to chips from chunks!

I'm finding smoke is to bbq as hops are to home brewers and craft beer folks :p

Poultry can’t take much smoke at all. I’d use one chunk of fruit or pecan wood about twice the size of my thumb for a turkey.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I'm finding smoke is to bbq as hops are to home brewers and craft beer folks :p

Some people waaay over smoked food, destroy it. You’re right, same as some people with hops and beer.

It really depends on your meat though. In terms of how much smoker you want:

Poultry<pork<beef.

Beef can take a lot of oak smoke and be very tasty. I find with chicken I want to barely taste the smoke.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement