Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Not everyone behind the counter of a butcher these days is actually a qualified butcher in how we would traditionally expect. I would imagine plenty wear a white coat and know how to scoop 2 pounds of round mince or a few pork chops into a bag, but not much more.

This.

I had a fantastic butcher in Celbridge. It was a joy dealing with him, a few times I brought him pictures of American cuts, like tri tip, and he sorted me out. Great man for flank, bavette and beef cheeks as well.

Great man for everything really.

Conway's butcher on Celbridge Main St.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭budgemook

Brian? wrote: »
    This.

I had a fantastic butcher in Celbridge. It was a joy dealing with him, a few times I brought him pictures of American cuts, like tri tip, and he sorted me out. Great man for flank, bavette and beef cheeks as well.

Great man for everything really.

Conway's butcher on Celbridge Main St.
    Honestly finding someone like this close to me is the dream 😅

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There's a butcher up the road from me that also slaughters the animals, I should probably try there as I suspect they'd know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

Would anyone have recommendations for where to get good charcoal in north Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

ccarr wrote: »
    Would anyone have recommendations for where to get good charcoal in north Dublin

I meant to post this before now but was in eddies smokeless fuels in donaghmede and picked up 2 bags of blue bag charcoal

The set up they have is class, lots of different quailty types of charcoal and all the smoking woods and rubs for sale

Really cool set up, the lad went through every type of charcoal they had and explained each one

My go to place from now on, very cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I meant to post this before now but was in eddies smokeless fuels in donaghmede and picked up 2 bags of blue bag charcoal

The set up they have is class, lots of different quailty types of charcoal and all the smoking woods and rubs for sale

Really cool set up, the lad went through every type of charcoal they had and explained each one

I'd second that. I saw the blue bag on a sign driving by and popped in. Huge selection of charcoal and wood chunks. And Angus and oink rubs. I'm delighted to have it ten minutes drive from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Cheers for the heads up lads will have to check it out

3 x baby back and 2 by Jacobs Ladder on the Smokey mountain. Back garden smells like cheery wood smoke and I'm happy as Larry.

Pics to follow

they/them/theirs

Camping this weekend with my trusty camping kettle bbq. Bratwurst from Lidl (pretty good) and burgers. Can't beat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

First time using Weber briquettes this evening. I’m used to the stuff you get in Aldi which didn’t need much encouragement to extinguish. I did an hour long cook, wedges, wings and sausages. I was ready to go about quarter to five. Lit the chimney 20 or so minutes before that. Cook went well and I shut down all the vents about 6pm or thereabouts. I headed back out to the garden to check the kettle about 11:30 this even8ng and it’s still pretty hot. Is this normal?

I was hoping to save briquettes for my next cook but there can’t be much left at this point. Impressed with the Weber briquettes but they might be too good fir casual cooks at this rate.

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    First time using Weber briquettes this evening. I’m used to the stuff you get in Aldi which didn’t need much encouragement to extinguish. I did an hour long cook, wedges, wings and sausages. I was ready to go about quarter to five. Lit the chimney 20 or so minutes before that. Cook went well and I shut down all the vents about 6pm or thereabouts. I headed back out to the garden to check the kettle about 11:30 this even8ng and it’s still pretty hot. Is this normal?

I was hoping to save briquettes for my next cook but there can’t be much left at this point. Impressed with the Weber briquettes but they might be too good fir casual cooks at this rate.

Are you sure the vents were closed properly? Mine go out in about 20 minutes

they/them/theirs

Yup. All closed. It’s never died in 20 minutes for me. Always been at lest an hour with briquettes. Lump wood dues faster in fairness.

squonk wrote: »
    Yup. All closed. It’s never died in 20 minutes for me. Always been at lest an hour with briquettes. Lump wood dues faster in fairness.

It'll be hot a lot longer than 20mins but the coals are well out at that stage I reckon.

I love Weber briquettes by the way. I did a 9 hour cool yesterday with less than 5kg of them in my WSM.

they/them/theirs

I noticed the cover wasn’t lined up fully. It was offline so I’d say there was air getting in. the coals burnt out mostly so I’ll do another cook this week and test it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

p52IDud.jpg

Z9nfhDY.jpeg

JIu1N1E.jpg

Gdc5BWb.jpeg

Don't judge me! i was out of town

Best steak sandwich ever though! (Thanks to herself :o)

I'm impressed you actually got one of those yokes to cook something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

p52IDud.jpg

Z9nfhDY.jpeg

JIu1N1E.jpg

Gdc5BWb.jpeg

Don't judge me! i was out of town

Best steak sandwich ever though! (Thanks to herself :o)

Not a fan of brewdog but I will say that that is a tasty sup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Evening folks

Anyone know where I can source St Louis style ribs in Dublin? Want to throw a couple of racks on the webber this weekend if I can source some.

Evening folks

Anyone know where I can source St Louis style ribs in Dublin? Want to throw a couple of racks on the webber this weekend if I can source some.

Any decent butcher. Just ask for spare ribs

they/them/theirs

Evening folks

Any decent butcher. Just ask for spare ribs

See the Ceramic BBQ thread.

Actual spare ribs are actually hard to find here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Where to get decent lumpwood charcoal in Dublin these days?

I got a couple of bags from Woodies and they're not 'lumpy' lumpwood at all, more like pebbles...help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Show this to your butcher. They should do it for you.

982ad4ecff30ae1b12f639f3a514bcd8.jpg
    pork-cuts.jpg.webp
    cc4ce4dbc353bd3fefd06e8db88e45ad.jpg

awec wrote: »
    See the Ceramic BBQ thread.

Actual spare ribs are actually hard to find here.

I never had a problem, in multiple butchers around Dublin and North Kildare. You have to go to a butcher though and not a meat counter in a supermarket

they/them/theirs

I never had a problem, in multiple butchers around Dublin and North Kildare. You have to go to a butcher though and not a meat counter in a supermarket

I have struggled - have tried a few. I reckon a chat with one of them in particular would probably yield results but in my experience it's tricky.

I went to what would be regarded as a good butcher and he took out baby backs first. I said aren't they baby backs? I'm looking for spare. And I came out with pork belly. There weren't even any ribs on it!

blue note wrote: »
    I went to what would be regarded as a good butcher and he took out baby backs first. I said aren't they baby backs? I'm looking for spare. And I came out with pork belly. There weren't even any ribs on it!

Weird.

they/them/theirs

budgemook wrote: »
    I have struggled - have tried a few. I reckon a chat with one of them in particular would probably yield results but in my experience it's tricky.

Gay Conway will sort you out:

https://www.facebook.com/GayConwayButchers/

As will Fitzpatricks

https://goo.gl/maps/UDE72g6LPxCK8hms9

I also got some in the FX Buckley shop in Greenogue industrial park, but had to ring ahead.

they/them/theirs

Unfortunately the majority of butchers in Ireland are from the meat and two veg mindset. My two local butchers are pretty good but they've literally been selling the exact same things for 25 years.

The Nal wrote: »
    Unfortunately the majority of butchers in Ireland are from the meat and two veg mindset. My two local butchers are pretty good but they've literally been selling the exact same things for 25 years.

I don't think that's the case the majority of the time these days. They've moved with the times in that now they're providing marinated / seasoned dishes, stuff ready to just stick in the oven or into the wok with the veg and everything in there and more variety in non meat items.

But in terms of catering for American style bbq which is in fairness what a lot of people are getting into now, they're still lagging behind. Some of the items are tricky to get, spare ribs certainly being one. I believe brisket is the same, but I haven't actually tried one yet. I'm not sure what I'd do with all that meat!

• Advertisement

I don't think that's the case the majority of the time these days. They've moved with the times in that now they're providing marinated / seasoned dishes, stuff ready to just stick in the oven or into the wok with the veg and everything in there and more variety in non meat items.

But in terms of catering for American style bbq which is in fairness what a lot of people are getting into now, they're still lagging behind. Some of the items are tricky to get, spare ribs certainly being one. I believe brisket is the same, but I haven't actually tried one yet. I'm not sure what I'd do with all that meat!

Yeah the places Im talking about do all that but they have been for ages. No fun buying pre marinaded food!

But certainly during the summer they should be promoting the American style stuff. Considering 90% of recipes online are American, as are all the cooking shows. My butcher told me they mince a lot of the cheaper cuts - pig cheek (make some ****ing guanciale it sells for a fortune here!), flank, hangar, bavette.

Can get brisket but its the lean thin end they sell to old women. A thin piece of flat that they haven't rolled yet. And the annoying thing is they already have spare ribs in the shop they just cut them differently.

Advertisement