Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where are the electric cars for the masses?

Options
191011121315»

Comments

At 35mpg and €1.50/litre 10,000 miles costs €2k.

How many of the masses do big miles & buy new cars? EVs will take quite a while to catch on for simple economic reasons 🤓
    Itll quite likely happen but if ICE can get cleaner & gre ed net then the political push for EVs might lessen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Augeo wrote: »
    At 35mpg and €1.50/litre 10,000 miles costs €2k.

Typically cars do more than 10k miles in their lifetime.

September1 wrote: »
    Typically cars do more than 10k miles in their lifetime.

Yes...... But loads of folk don't want to shell out 40k on a kona or golf to 'save' 2k/annum.

September1 wrote: »
    ......e. Do you also complain that buses are more expensive to buy then cars, because they are pretty inconvenient to park and drive on narrow roads?

Buses aren't aimed at private motorists.
    Incentivising any private cars is counter to any green beliefs IMO. Cities are choked with private cars..... Awful IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

yep shocking towns and cities chocked with ICE cars and diesels stopping and starting , you might even find that most of the traffic is local traffic anyways.

I remember years ago electric cars (when they could not do the range they do now , or the speeds they can get up to now) being marketed/touted as 'the ideal city car' or 'the second family car' - like take your petrol or diesels on the long runs but have the electric car for city and town driving. - trouble is instead of price coming down to afford the range has gone up and the EV's have gone up in price making them out of reach for those purposes now.

I know you can say thats a good thing and now with their range and speed you no longer need the 2 cars now, just ditch your main car and have the one electric car to satisfy both car users needs now but still ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yes...... But loads of folk don't want to shell out 40k on a kona or golf to 'save' 2k/annum.

My EV is the same size and cost the same to buy nearly 3 years ago as a similar spec Skoda Octavia petrol auto. Not 40k, but 25k

Yet I save nearly €2k that you calculated per year in fuel alone (cost to charge is about €160 per year), plus quite a substantial amount once you add up the difference in maintenance, depreciation, tax and tolls. My home charger was installed for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Plenty of electrics being leased at 120 to 180 euro per month in Germany.
    Up/Mii/Citigo, Zoe, e-Golfs.

They're being sold but you're probably not seeing them in your neighbourhood.

unkel wrote: »
    My EV is the same size and cost the same to buy nearly 3 years ago as a similar spec Skoda Octavia petrol auto. Not 40k, but 25k

Yet I save nearly €2k that you calculated per year in fuel alone (cost to charge is about €160 per year), plus quite a substantial amount once you add up the difference in maintenance, depreciation, tax and tolls. My home charger was installed for free.

So the ioniq is the answer? I thought they were in short supply?

Round and round we go.

Another family size EV with plenty of availability starting from about €28k last time I looked, the Leaf. A few grand more than above Skoda Octavia, but thousands a year less to run. People are ignorant, or to put it more kindly: set in their ways - slow and weary to adapt to new things / a changing world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Most people don't care about filling €30-40 a week of diesel, they are so used to it and its a small cost to alot of the population, lots of wealthy people out there with no interest in that charging crap.

They'd be more pissed off seeing 2 month Electric bill going up by €60

For the hassle of charging, planning trips, using fast chargers, waiting around they'll happily pay that €30 diesel

Most people here buying EVs are frugal/not loaded, crazy commuters, geeks

I'll buy an EV because I'm one of them

If I was loaded not a chance would I have a 1 car household EV, id have some EV, but for long trips its a big diesel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The geek in me bought an EV.
    The car head in me liked the everyday traffic light commute performance that matched many of my older cars on daily commute M3, S3, 535d etc etc

The stingy feck in me meant I had 2 years of saving €50-€60 a week from filling the Merc ML keep and charging in work and not even have to charge at home meant I could sell the leaf at profit and buy the i3. A car I was in years ago with cross13 (I think) and fell in love that day!

Are there days I missed the sound of my Type R hitting vetch, yes. Are there days I miss the long revving and noise of the M3, yes. Are there days I miss third hear in the S3, hell yes. But everyday I get to use the i3 power and torque from a standstill and it feels the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

When you can buy second hand reliable electric cars for under 10 grand then you'll see widespread use, until then its a pipe dream, if an ec suited my needs i would buy but not for the price they are now, as second hands come available and can be proven reliable then you will see an uptake

When you can buy second hand reliable electric cars for under 10 grand then you'll see widespread use, until then its a pipe dream

Eh? You can buy a 141 Leaf for under 10 grand. It has the newer battery chemistry compared to the original model, so it doesn't suffer half as much from battery degradation. It is also one of the most reliable cars on the road today.

You will save a fortune running it compared to running any petrol / diesel car.
    kceire wrote: »
    meant I could sell the leaf at profit and buy the i3. A car I was in years ago with kcross (I think) and fell in love that day!

I don't think you ever told us that? Was probably with cros13, the former moderator of this forum and i3 owner (previous BMW M3 owner)?

I haven't driven i3 myself, but worried that the same would happen to me and that I would sell my beautiful Porsche and get one of them :( :eek: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Eh? You can buy a 141 Leaf for under 10 grand. It has the newer battery chemistry compared to the original model, so it doesn't suffer half as much from battery degradation. It is also one of the most reliable cars on the road today.

:( :eek: :o

EVs are not for me yet but hopefully in the future i might have the pleasure of being able to use one, i suppose my main point is you'd need to have thousands of them available to replace the petrol/diesel cars already on the road, how far are we away from a replacement of say 25 percent EVs on our road do you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I haven't driven i3 myself, but worried that the same would happen to me and that I would sell my beautiful Porsche and get one of them :( :eek: :o

Even worse is the bloody “S” version, wider tires, wider track and 250km of range and a tiny bit more power. Test drove one this morning......well the wife did.....

She will be picking up a Juraco Beige I3S in January:eek:

You will save a fortune running it compared to running any petrol / diesel car.

I don't think you ever told us that? Was probably with cros13, the former moderator of this forum and i3 owner (previous BMW M3 owner)?

I always get mixed up. It may have been cross13.
    I met him in Lidl Finglas. I was buying from him or he was buying from me something from Adverts. I’ll always remember as he had the top spec also, and he bought a Nissan Leaf just to tie him over while the i3 was on order :)

I got back into my 530d at the time I think and it felt ancient and slow compared to it.

The best way to describe it is like driving a Starlet GT from back in the day. As much as the cars had a bad name, they handled like go-karts.

Your more than welcome to a lend of it if you’d ever up in North Dublin for any reason.

krissovo wrote: »
    Even worse is the bloody “S” version, wider tires, wider track and 250km of range and a tiny bit more power. Test drove one this morning......well the wife did.....

She will be picking up a Juraco Beige I3S in January:eek:

I love the S version. It’s actually unbelievable how noticeable the wider stance is and it’s more modern. I see a red one every second day on my commute and I love it.

The wider stance, the newer 20” wheels and the general tweeks to the styling makes it a nice package.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

They were shelling out a lot more than that to save a few hundred in motor tax from 2008 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

McGaggs wrote: »
    They were shelling out a lot more than that to save a few hundred in motor tax from 2008 onwards.

That's true but fuel costs are death by a thousand cuts whereas tax is presented as an annual bill.

Tesla are including fuel savings in the way they present new car prices but are Hyundai, Kia etc doing the same? Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

McGaggs wrote: »

That's what I always reckon when I hear "where are the affordable electric cars" , (and I still haven't made it to a post 2008 car yet, diesel or otherwise...) .
    It'll take a few years to come through the system... And in 2008 pretty much every car dealer had unlimited numbers of new chape tax diesels available... But there's a finite number of electrics available...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
Advertisement