Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,781 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I am about 113 pages into Pride and Prejudice now.

To be honest...I am struggling:(

The characters are just really annoying me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tazkatie

Just started the Road by Cormas MacCarthy yesterday, about half way through. Cannot wait to pick it up again this evening. I am fascinated by it. Haven't seen the movie, didn't know what the book was about. But it is well worth the read. Dark and amazing. The fear faced by father and son is tangible. Defo recommend it

Finished the Road last night. Was an amazing book. Haunting images and prose. I don't think I will watch the movie, book was too good, don't want the images tarnished. Just starting a Long Way Down by Sebsatian Barry.. Will let you know how I get on!

Only about a quarter way through it but already I know I am going to relish this book. It has a histrocial slant about young Irish boys going to France to fight in World War 1 and the corresonding domestic issues that were occuring in Ireland 1916 onwards. I can't wait to get back to reading this one this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

Just finishing 'Carry me down' by M. j. hyland. Took a little while to get into it but pretty good. i love Richard Yates, he is one of my all times favourites especially ' Disturbing the peace'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Anyone who wants a really engrossing absorbing read check out The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. It's like a hugely entertaining sophisticated soap opera and it's very funny to boot, a truly brilliant novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Finished The Virgin Suicides a few days ago. Really really liked it!

Now reading The Holy City by Patrick McCabe. Only a bit in...not sure what to think yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thelonecarrot

I'm flipping between "I'm not scared" by Niccoló Ammanti and War and Peace by Tolstoy.

I'm not sure about either of the right now. But they are both getting much better as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JesseCuster

Just finished One Day by David Nicholls.

Absolutely loved it, I am missing the two main characters already!
    Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Never thought I would have liked this but gave Book 1 a try for the laugh since I watched the TV show last year and naturally the book is 10 times better than the series. It's more than 900 pages and I am around the 680 mark. Good bathroom reading!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Starting breaking dawn tomorrow.

Just finished the Bone Thief by Jefferson Bass. Excellent book, Kathy Reichs esqe. Must say I did enjoy it a lot. Propbably not packed with the same level of scientific detail as a Kathy Reichs but very good all the same. I have just started a Tess Gerriten book called the Keeper of the Bride.. Not sure about this one but will keep at it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I've just read two books over the last couple of days which i found to be great reads!

Blacklands by Belinda Baeur. I read this in about twelve hours. Didn't want to put it down. It's about an eleven year old boy who lives in England with his mother, younger brother and his Nan
    The family live under the shadow of the death of the boys uncle who was murdered nineteen years before as a ten year old by a serial killer. His body was never found, but is persumed buried in the moors somewhere.
    The boy spends his time digging holes in the moors hoping to find the body because he thinks this can heal the pain within the family and give them closure, thus gaining some sort of normality.
    He then decides to send a letter to the killer in jail to ask where the body is buried and a game of cat and mouse ensues.
    Unputdownable!!

The other book is Northline by Willie Vlautin. Vlautin is the singer songwriter with a really quality band called Richmond Fontaine. His novels are a lot like his songs, about the downtrodden and deadbeats in the underbelly of Americana. His other novels so far are The Motel Life and his recently published, Lean On Pete.

Have just started The Outlander by Gil Adamson

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭randomguy

monkey9 wrote: »
    The other book is Northline by Willie Vlautin. Vlautin is the singer songwriter with a really quality band called Richmond Fontaine. His novels are a lot like his songs, about the downtrodden and deadbeats in the underbelly of Americana. His other novels so far are The Motel Life and his recently published, Lean On Pete.

Coincidence - Finished the Motel Life last night. Really enjoyed it, and flew through it in a couple of days since his style is deceptively simple.

Read Lean on Pete a few weeks ago, and have been going around evangelicising it for the last few weeks, it's that good. Eileen Battersby gave it one of the best reviews I've come across from her, and turns out it deserved it. Everyone should read it. But I think I'll take a few more weeks before I read Northline, just to clear my head of The Motel Life first, since they all seem to be written in a similar style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson the other day. I thought it was a great book, and I've already bought the second instalment in the series.

Started The Road by Cormac McCarthy yesterday, and I'm about 70 pages in. So far, it's incredibly harrowing and atmospheric, and it probably won't take me too long to finish.

Haven't read the Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo, though it has been on the bookshelf for quite a while now.. Must try and get round to it. Read the Road there recently myself and it is harrowing and amazing and can't get it out of my head. Enjoyed is not the right word with this book but will read it again and again I think!
    Reading the second Bourne Trilogy at the minute. Just on the first book. I read the original Bourne books years ago and was a great fan of Robert Ludlum, Eric Van Lustbader is doing a good job keeping up the traditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Read Girl with Dragon Tatoo recently. Wasn't overly impressed (I think I was left disappointed by all the hype) but good enough read, kept me interested. However, going to leave it a while before I read the next one. Translation wasn't great it has to be said, the bad english was a bit distracting at times.

About to finish Atonement by Ian McEwan. I loved the film & the book is just fantastic. Uber descriptive.

Think I'm going to pick up The Book Thief today & get stuck into that next.

Prior to the first book above I read the 9 books out of the Sookie Stackhouse Series (ie; True Blood) by Charlaine Harris. They were great craic I have to say. Not all about vampires, lots of other supernaturals in it. I might read them again in a couple years.

Mink wrote: »
    Read Girl with Dragon Tatoo recently. Wasn't overly impressed (I think I was left disappointed by all the hype) but good enough read, kept me interested. However, going to leave it a while before I read the next one. Translation wasn't great it has to be said, the bad english was a bit distracting at times.

About to finish Atonement by Ian McEwan. I loved the film & the book is just fantastic. Uber descriptive.

Think I'm going to pick up The Book Thief today & get stuck into that next.

Prior to the first book above I read the 9 books out of the Sookie Stackhouse Series (ie; True Blood) by Charlaine Harris. They were great craic I have to say. Not all about vampires, lots of other supernaturals in it. I might read them again in a couple years.
    Still I will give teh Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a shot. Will be a while the second Bourne Trilogyis going to keep me occupied for a while. I have read Atonement and loved it. I also have read the Book Thief, personally I found it a great read, contrary to many negative reviews it received. Very different style from what I am used to reading but I still found the narrative great. Hopefully you will also enjoy it.!

Ok I ended up getting Redemption Falls by Joseph O'Connor. Anyone have feedback on that before I get stuck in tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Phillip Pullmans new "good man jesus and scoundrel christ"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Phillip Pullmans new "good man jesus and scoundrel christ"
    I just bought it , how are you finding it ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

interesting, funny

In many ways the 'bad' character seems to be the modern church :)

Instead of starting Redemption Falls, I figured I should read the one before that - Star of the Sea.

Didn't have time to get that so I've started Mystic River by Denis Lehane because it was sitting on my shelf & I meant to read it. Hooked so far, only 30 pages in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I just started "Song of Susannah" the sixth book of the DT series, not really looking forward to this one as its considered the worst of the 7 books. I'll try finish it before I head off on holidays on Sunday and bring the last book with me.
    I picked up Alastair Reynolds "Revelation Space" to read after I finish the Dark Tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

Beginning to warm to it, the writing style is something that takes sometime to get used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Picked up Mean Streets and The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril today, so I'll be getting stuck into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,781 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I finished Pride and Prejudice, and What They Teach You at Harvard Business School by Philip Delves Broughton this week.

The latter was very informative and witty. Made me feel a little better as a business student, yet terrified of the prospect of studying for an MBA at Harvard :o

Up next, I just started Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. One chapter in, already kind of depressed. But it's really good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Finished As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, didn't enjoy it, the rhythm of the novel was off-putting. I can enjoy stream of consciousness literature, but the brevity of the novel meant the understanding of the pace was only coming to me as I finished it.

About to start The Ginger Man by J. P. Donleavy. Heard good things about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I'm currently reading 'The Curious Case of Sidd Finch' by George Plimpton. I would have finished it a while ago but half way through I started reading some Flann O Brien.
    Plimptons book is fairly entertaining. Quite a simplistic style of writing. It's more of a story really without any aspirations to literary greatness.
    Plimpton is founder and editor of The Paris Review where for more than fifty years he championed new writers and the craft of writing, so any book lovers probably owe him a debt of gratitude.
    Wasn't overly keen on O Briens book but I must mention that it was a collection of his Cruiskeen Lawn columns which I don't think are suitable for a novel format. That's my own personal opinion, I'm sure there are others who would disagree.
    Anyway, after Plimpton I think I'll try one of O Briens actual novels and maybe 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' which has got some favourable reviews on here. Where to find it though.... I looked in my local library and no joy. Anybody got a copy I could borrow?

Advertisement