Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

my favourite sopt again the other morning; waiting at the lights on east wall road, on the junction with itself; i.e. if i'd gone left i'd be heading for the port tunnel, but i was heading right to pass the point depot. anyway, the lights for crossing traffic go red, i clip in, start to move, and an aircoach went through the red about two seconds late. and a smaller coach obviously decided 'well, if he did it, so can i', and went through a second or two after the aircoach. maybe he was sucked along by the vortex created by the larger vehicle.

I was in Manchester a couple of weeks ago and walking the short walk from Piccadilly Station to The Arndale Centre. Stopped at a set of pedestrian lights with about 20 others and plenty of traffic going through. Lights change for cars and immediately all the other pedestrians started to walk. Paddy here was the only person left standing there like an eejit. Never occurred to me that they actually stop at red lights in the UK so I didn't have to wait for 5 or 6 cars to go through like at home. It's shameful and embarassing really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

First morning back on the bike today in 2.5 weeks after being away for work. Noticed a huge shift in daylight, i.e. there was none. Dublin traffic did not disappoint, plenty of close passes, silly moves in the wet, a garda on a motorbike milling down the cycle track on the canal, and the icing on the cake, getting buzzed and beeped by a white van man in the bus lane between templeogue and terenure. I missed it all terribly while away :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

CramCycle wrote: »
    I always wonder how much of it is people being ass hats and how much is stupidity. For example, I come past a T Junction (a right turn on my road) which is traffic controlled. Every day, people get the green light and then stop on the red that relates to the straight through traffic....
    This. I'm noticing this more and more. ?!?

I see that a bit near us, they'll get a green and take the right and then drop anchor when they see red as they get around. Had a few wave me across the road while I was waiting to cross and I had to point to the red man and wave them on :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the staggered junction of holles street/merrion square east is chronic for people misreading lights, i've found.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3396876,-6.2464408,20z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭tnegun

Had a guy close the gap and pull in to the kerb just as I got to him this am, just got on the brakes in time went to overtake him on this outside and he sped up, got ahead of him full expecting him to be on his phone, but no just a prick who doesn't like bikes getting ahead in traffic. In fairness I've had more people make space than close it and usually closing it is due to being inattentive and on their phone in traffic.

On the misreading lights the worst junction has got to be the long mile and naas road coming from the nangor rd side. Almost every few minutes someone sees the next set go green and break a red light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I was in Manchester a couple of weeks ago and walking the short walk from Piccadilly Station to The Arndale Centre. Stopped at a set of pedestrian lights with about 20 others and plenty of traffic going through. Lights change for cars and immediately all the other pedestrians started to walk. Paddy here was the only person left standing there like an eejit. Never occurred to me that they actually stop at red lights in the UK so I didn't have to wait for 5 or 6 cars to go through like at home. It's shameful and embarassing really

Similar happened to me in Copenhagen in 2005 (almost 15yrs ago...ouch)
    I was waiting to cross a wide street in the city center with about 20 or so others at a pedestrian crossing.
    I saw a good gap in the traffic so started strolling across (as you do in Dublin), got about 2m out and realised no-one else was also crossing, felt real fear as i assumed a bus or something I hadn't seen was about to cream me out of it, because I could think of no other reason the rest wouldn't cross. Nope no bus coming just everyone else actually obeying the rules. Felt bad and kept going with my head down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Only that people seem to now wait a few seconds after the lights change there would have been a couple of serious collisions this morning.

At 2 different junctions today we had cars running red lights so late that the pedestrian/cycle lights had already gone green. At both junctions the cars went through at enough speed that if someone had stepped out they’d have been creamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭McGrath5

After cycling into work everyday last week on my hybrid, my road bike was looking a little bit neglected, so yesterday morning I decided to head out for decent spin too Howth.

Going through town heading north on the R137, a lovely taxi man in a Prius decided to invade the cycle lane, getting far too close to me for comfort. I knocked on his window, he looked back at me, sped off and I thought that was the end of it, how wrong was I.

A few hundred meters up the road, waiting at the lights to head onto Winetavern street, he leaned out and asked why I knocked on his window. I told him he was far too close to me and he was driving in the cycling lane. He then aggressively yelled at me that I was lucky "I have a fare, very lucky I have a fare", his 2 passengers were sitting in the back looking very perplexed as to what was going on. Anyway the lights turned green and I made my way on, not knowing what type of potential psychopath I could be dealing with.

So much for a stress free Sunday morning spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

McGrath5 wrote: »
    After cycling into work everyday last week on my hybrid, my road bike was looking a little bit neglected, so yesterday morning I decided to head out for decent spin too Howth.

Going through town heading north on the R137, a lovely taxi man in a Prius decided to invade the cycle lane, getting far too close to me for comfort. I knocked on his window, he looked back at me, sped off and I thought that was the end of it, how wrong was I.

A few hundred meters up the road, waiting at the lights to head onto Winetavern street, he leaned out and asked why I knocked on his window. I told him he was far too close to me and he was driving in the cycling lane. He then aggressively yelled at me that I was lucky "I have a fare, very lucky I have a fare", his 2 passengers were sitting in the back looking very perplexed as to what was going on. Anyway the lights turned green and I made my way on, not knowing what type of potential psychopath I could be dealing with.

So much for a stress free Sunday morning spin.

Did you get his taxi number? You can report him for abusing you i think. Particularly in front of a fare.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-compliments-complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Did you get his taxi number? You can report him for abusing you i think. Particularly in front of a fare.

I didn't, by the stage he started yelling at me I just wanted to get the hell out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It specifically mentions they don't want complaints about driving offenses. So it seems pretty useless for that purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It specifically mentions they don't want complaints about driving offenses. So it seems pretty useless for that purpose

Correct. Only clientele or those refused passage incorrectly can use the TFI form. Everything else is traffic watch/gardai in Santry if you wanna go straight to the carriage office.

This guy delibrately blocked me this am, he had only past me 20 secs earlier so was fully aware what he was doing, excuse the language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

tnegun wrote: »
    This guy delibrately blocked me this am, he had only past me 20 secs earlier so was fully aware what he was doing, excuse the language.
    Thankfully I don’t get much of that, but I really don’t understand the logic. Presumably these are the same people who would go mental at you for being “in the middle of the road,” so which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

For some reason motorists gravitate towards cyclists. Going up the bus lane towards Blanch Garda station today, as I was shoulder checking to move to the right a Golf came partially into the bus lane, I hit the brakes as I thought they were going left and the bus lane must yield but they went on straight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I doubt he did it deliberately , probably let go of the stearing wheel to text someone. Happened to me a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You can make a carefully phrased complaint about his behaviour when he has a fare in the car, which they will accept and follow up. Make sure you specifically exclude any traffic offence - you're not complaining about him breaking the law, you're complaining about the threatening behaviour, in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

The time tolerance drivers are allowing themselves after lights turn red is getting ridiculously high.
    I started at green three times today, at three different lights, and three times I had to stop for cars coming at speed with red light turned on at least few seconds earlier.
    I assume this crazy behaviour will not be tolerated anymore in this city, or will it?
    What does a citizen of dublin need to do at this stage to make this stop? It is so clearly ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

similar for me this morning, had to stop and wait at a green while people coming from leopardstown road ran the red to swing down the N11 towards the bray direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Castleknock at Myo's pub this morning. Three motorists (2 cars and a van) edged through the red, across a junction that was now a green man. No body beeped (this seems to be a thing now when cyclists do it), nobody cared. Almost acceptable at this stage "Sure the traffic is mental, what else are you meant to do".

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

queldy wrote: »
    The time tolerance drivers are allowing themselves after lights turn red is getting ridiculously high.
    I started at green three times today, at three different lights, and three times I had to stop for cars coming at speed with red light turned on at least few seconds earlier.
    I assume this crazy behaviour will not be tolerated anymore in this city, or will it?
    What does a citizen of dublin need to do at this stage to make this stop? It is so clearly ridiculous.

Absolutely, i saw an SUV packed full of kids break a read in Kimmage this morning and they barely got out ahead of the advancing traffic on green.

Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,857 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I don't think he blocked you, its a bend and lights from the opposite way, might of caused him to move in more.

Also when you over took him, he wasn't that far in compare to the other cars.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Castleknock at Myo's pub this morning. Three motorists (2 cars and a van) edged through the red, across a junction that was now a green man. No body beeped (this seems to be a thing now when cyclists do it), nobody cared. Almost acceptable at this stage "Sure the traffic is mental, what else are you meant to do".

Its gone really bad, when cyclists started to go through the lights and preached its ok to do when safe, some motorists are going to do the same thing.

We are a very sad little country with no respect for any of the rules.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I doubt he did it deliberately , probably let go of the stearing wheel to text someone. Happened to me a few times.

I thought the same but its a slight left bend so if he let go he should of straightened up, I had a quick look for a phone when I passed as I thought the same but didn't see it so was thinking it was deliberate. In fairness typically I get more people giving you room in these situations.

Light jumping is gone to a new level now but a huge amount of it appears to be down to the timing or lack of light synchronization and the councils have a lot to answer for in this regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭plodder

Yesterday evening on Collins ave turning right onto Beaumont rd. a line of four cars and then a Dublin bus went through the red. So, I thought - oh, they must have installed a turn-right filter there ....... they hadn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Near miss this morning where I was the culprit. Cycling past the radisson towards the UCD flyover (at a decent pace) & a girl comes down the pedestrian steps in a hood & doesn't look, I'd been braking to slow down but not enough & she steps into the cycle lane towards the bus stop at which point I have to swerve & I miss her by milimetres.

Mea culpa, I'll have to take it slightly easier there when it's wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I don't think he blocked you, its a bend and lights from the opposite way, might of caused him to move in more.

It was either deliberate or careless driving. It looks deliberate to me and I have seen many drivers do similar.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looks to be getting a bit more mental out there...

https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/status/1183958824329371648

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Looks to be getting a bit more mental out there...

https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/status/1183958824329371648

Yet another "professional" driver.

I had another one these stupid cnuts at the Dublin Airport Roundabout yesterday nearly ramming my back wheel in impatience as I tried to navigate my way thru a short section of heavily flooded road.

Professional drivers my hairy hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Guys make sure you get a camera on your bike or body camera, I was on my way home from work recently in the left of a bus lane inside a cycle path to the right of me is a normal lane for road trafffic non taxi/bus lane.

There was a 40 foot lorry maybe 100 meters behind me that was in the normal bus lane, I was passing on my left a turn into a garage or delivery depot when the lorry proceeded to move into the bus lane then turn left on top of me effectively giving a left hook.

He then shout out the window at me "out of my way" I had to stop suddenly and pull the bike up from between my legs and hop up onto the path. We got into a heated agrument after that I was not happy I almost ended up under his truck he wasn't happy I was shouting at him, at this point he was outside is truck he grabbed me by the collier and proceeded to make physical threats towards me.

TLDR = get a body cam!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

stevek93 wrote: »
    Guys make sure you get a camera on your bike or body camera, I was on my way home from work recently in the left of a bus lane inside a cycle path to the right of me is a normal lane for road trafffic non taxi/bus lane.

There was a 40 foot lorry maybe 100 meters behind me that was in the normal bus lane, I was passing on my left a turn into a garage or delivery depot when the lorry proceeded to move into the bus lane then turn left on top of me effectively giving a left hook.

He then shout out the window at me "out of my way" I had to stop suddenly and pull the bike up from between my legs and hop up onto the path. We got into a heated agrument after that I was not happy I almost ended up under his truck he wasn't happy I was shouting at him, at this point he was outside is truck he grabbed me by the collier and proceeded to make physical threats towards me.

TLDR = get a body cam!

Holy crap, call the gardai, that is physical and verbal assault. Hope your OK, that is insane.

queldy wrote: »

I think that time has come and gone. Every time I see a car just 'nipping' through a red light that's been red a while, I think of this young lad https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/driver-who-killed-child-6-after-breaking-red-light-jailed-for-four-years-1.3735530

Utterly senseless that there isnt a massive drive to counteract this selfish behaviour.
    stevek93 wrote: »

TLDR = get a body cam!

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I have 2 cameras and experienced a similar road rage incident. I luckily backed off enough so he couldnt make physical contact but he was ready to go. Reported to garda immediately, as it happened 200ft from station. Garda said nothing he could do, so I escalated to sergeant. Turned out he was a cyclist and was very motivated to follow through. Turns out, he didnt follow through. No more replies to emails. It's just not seen as important :(

I think that time has come and gone. Every time I see a car just 'nipping' through a red light that's been red a while, I think of this young lad https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/driver-who-killed-child-6-after-breaking-red-light-jailed-for-four-years-1.3735530

Utterly senseless that there isnt a massive drive to counteract this selfish behaviour.

Really upsets me, I cycle past there every day. People still run the red there, even worse when you can see people waiting to cross. I see it at the junctions with lollipop people getting cut up by the last driver to force through, outside Oatlands college in Stillorgan, cars nip up the bus lane at the pedestrian crossing and through on Red, kids and a lollipop person on the crossing, pretty much daily. I have taught my son not to go on a green man now because the pedestrian lights near our house constantly has people driving through, some even have kids in the car. A motorcyclist once wheelied and over revved to scare the local girls secondary school from starting to cross so he could get through oh his scrambler.

People = Sh1t, and society seems to be okay with that.

It sure felt deliberate he pulled in almost to the kerb driving on the double yellows no other car was that far over. Drivers do cut that corner you can see the point before that where yellow lines worn off at the apex of the bend. He had past the apex and a load of room on his right so had little need to move over he was possibly on a phone and over steered other than that I see no reason for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It sure felt deliberate he pulled in almost to the kerb driving on the double yellows no other car was that far over. Drivers do cut that corner you can see the point before that where yellow lines worn off at the apex of the bend. He had past the apex and a load of room on his right so had little need to move over he was possibly on a phone and over steered other than that I see no reason for it.

It's very common on bends like that and where the road is narrow that cars move into the side more. The bridge in Chapelizod is a prime example of that.

In the vid though, it looks like the car was following the line of the car infront, another common issue is for drivers to follow the taillights in front of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Its gone really bad, when cyclists started to go through the lights and preached its ok to do when safe, some motorists are going to do the same thing.

We are a very sad little country with no respect for any of the rules.

Do you honestly think that some cyclists breaking red lights are in some way responsible for some motorists breaking lights?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It's very common on bends like that and where the road is narrow that cars move into the side more. The bridge in Chapelizod is a prime example of that.
    The pinch point here is a little further back though.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    In the vid though, it looks like the car was following the line of the car infront, another common issue is for drivers to follow the taillights in front of them.
    That might explain it alright just latched onto the lights in front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

Also call his employer (if named on lorry) he is a danger to all road users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Brings a tear to my eye every time I see this story... yet I read it every time and each read has the same effect on me. Having 3 young kids myself and knowing that 2 of them are now at the age where they are using pedestrian crossings on their own.. and knowing that every day we see the same sh1te of idiots going thru red lights..

I do not know what kind of stupidity people have to think it is in anyway acceptable to drive thru a red light and even more so a pedestrian crossing. Personally I think people doing this should be chased down and dragged from their car... best not say what should happen next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Brings a tear to my eye every time I see this story... yet I read it every time and each read has the same effect on me. Having 3 young kids myself and knowing that 2 of them are now at the age where they are using pedestrian crossings on their own.. and knowing that every day we see the same sh1te of idiots going thru red lights..

I do not know what kind of stupidity people have to think it is in anyway acceptable to drive thru a red light and even more so a pedestrian crossing. Personally I think people doing this should be chased down and dragged from their car... best not say what should happen next!

I know I've read that before but I'm properly welling up at my desk after reading it again. The grace of the bereaved family is staggering.
    RIP little Cian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Its heartbreaking and enraging. The impunity, ignorance and entitlement of motorists is a stain on society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I could understand it if you arrived at a pedestrian crossing with a red light and there was no-one around but to drive through it when there's a child standing there waiting to cross... The problem isn't so much breaking the red light, it's the total lack of awareness of other road users. Even if he had a green light, he should have been slowing down somewhat in anticipation of a possible situation. Sounds like he didn't do that in this case as if he did, the child might still be alive.

Stark wrote: »
    I could understand it if you arrived at a pedestrian crossing with a red light and there was no-one around but to drive through it when there's a child standing there waiting to cross... The problem isn't so much breaking the red light, it's the total lack of awareness of other road users. Even if he had a green light, he should have been slowing down somewhat in anticipation of a possible situation. Sounds like he didn't do that in this case as if he did, the child might still be alive.

100%. it is one of the basic tenants of half decent driving. You see kids at a junction/crossing, whether you have right of way or not, you slow down and be prepared to drop anchor.

CramCycle wrote: »
    100%. it is one of the basic tenants of half decent driving. You see kids at a junction/crossing, whether you have right of way or not, you slow down and be prepared to drop anchor.

I cannot understand why anyone would go through a red light when on the road.

Once the kid puts his foot on the road , they have the right away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Weepsie wrote: »
    <Mod Note> Alright. Think we can leave the SUV chit chat aside now as it's way off topic.

Can I get a slight return?

https://twitter.com/Filly_10/status/1184087556666875904

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Stark wrote: »

I mentioned on another thread that when I was in France recently using a borrowed bike, the difference between driver behaviour there and here was staggering.

In places where the bike path crossed from one side of the road to the other via a pedestrian crossing I didn't even get to the crossing before drivers stopped for me.

The idiots here ploughing through crossings where people have green man to cross really are an embarrassment to the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Duckjob wrote: »
    I mentioned on another thread that when I was in France recently using a borrowed bike, the difference between driver behaviour there and here was staggering.

In places where the bike path crossed from one side of the road to the other via a pedestrian crossing I didn't even get to the crossing before drivers stopped for me.

The idiots here ploughing through crossings where people have green man to cross really are an embarrassment to the race.

I did an Erasmus year in Germany. I stayed on a university campus and used to cycle about 10km along the main A5 motorway in a dedicated and separate cycle way. The bike lanes crossed the on and off ramps from the autobahn in several locations.

100% of the time motorists yielded to me - it took me a while to get used to it, but never once did I feel threatened crossing these roads. That was nearly 30 years ago - our motoring centric culture really brings out the worst in people.

Irish people (not to generalise, but it’s been a topic of conversation with myself and some European colleagues) lack sense of personal responsibility and are generally reckless. They can also personalise issues and can be quite childish in their behaviour. Dangerous traits when it comes to driving, and it’s all too evident daily on the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

'Are going to do the same thing'? Are you really trying to spin law-breaking by motorists as being caused by cyclist responses in these social media debates?

There's a few decades of mayhem on the roads caused by speeding and drinking motorists waiting to contradict you.

Had a van behind me on George's street this morning and the spidey senses starting tingling - could hear the low gear, crawling along behind and to my right, nothing ahead of him. Definitely on the phone. He eventually passes, when he manages to figure out how to multitask and get into second gear, and I see whats up. He's got his headphones in and he's having a facetime call. In a company van. From a very well-known, and nearby, food hall/restaurant.

At the next set of lights I asked him to put the phone down. He replied "Why?", i.e. "I don't care". Then he saw the camera and and panicked, ended the call. Good to know he doesn't care about anyone else on the roads, but the risk of being caught by a cyclist with a camera, who might* just email the pics to his employer immediately, is what worries him and makes him stop. Prick.

*did

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement