Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grand Canal Cycle Path - Be Careful

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

sheriff2 wrote: »
    Have cycled twice from Adamstown to town and have loved it.
    At 7.30am - people jogging and walking dogs, cycling etc.

Doubt il cycle home that way in the evenings after seeing some of the previous posts, little bastards ruin it for everyone.

Does anyone know if the lights along the canal actually work, will need them now for the darker mornings.

The lights do work but they are low light level bulbs so not to disturb bats. Also, the CCTV used to be fed into the security in Park West as they had the contract to monitor them. Don't know if they still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

tnegun wrote: »
    I've passed the footage to them along with the request for what actual actions will be taken rather than promises of discussion will post back the responses. If anyone else wants to join these are the agencies/Councillors/TDs responsible for that area

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Eoin Ó Broin <eoinob@cllrs.sdublincoco.ie>
    clondalkin_community@garda.ie <clondalkin_community@garda.ie>; Andrew Lane <alane@SDUBLINCOCO.ie>; Colm Ward <cward@SDUBLINCOCO.ie>; Teresa Walsh <twalsh@SDUBLINCOCO.ie> Francis Timmons <ftimmons@cllrs.sdublincoco.ie>; wCarey@cllrs.sdublincoco.ie <wCarey@cllrs.sdublincoco.ie>; Peter Kavanagh <peter.kavanagh@greenparty.ie>; Kenneth Egan <kegan@cllrs.sdublincoco.ie>; Trevor Gilligan <tgilligan@cllrs.sdublincoco.ie>; Emer Higgins <ehiggins@cllrs.sdublincoco.ie>; eoin.obroin@oireachtas.ie <eoin.obroin@oireachtas.ie>; john.curran@oireachtas.ie <john.curran@oireachtas.ie>; gino.kenny@oireachtas.ie <gino.kenny@oireachtas.ie>
    [/FONT]

Have done the same myself. Timmons seems hopeless but eoin O'Broin ( Independent not SF) seems like he will try. Green party guy kanavagh says he knows all about it and is trying to do something .

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Some day those scobes will try that with someone who will kick the living **** out of them or worse , I'm thinking the Polish chuck norris who after a 14 hour shift on a building site is just not in the mood.

That will be a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Have cycled twice from Adamstown to town and have loved it.
    At 7.30am - people jogging and walking dogs, cycling etc.

Doubt il cycle home that way in the evenings after seeing some of the previous posts, little bastards ruin it for everyone.

Does anyone know if the lights along the canal actually work, will need them now for the darker mornings.
    coward wrote: »
    It's a beautiful route in the mornings. This morning in particular was amazing. Blue sky and that mist that sits above the water when it's a bit cold. Really is a fantastic route when it is peaceful.

The lighs are ok - not that bright but suppose you have to keep the local (good) wildlife in mind. I use the road though as soon as the dark evenings roll in.

Agreed. Mornings like today are magical. I do it town to grange castle, so uphill into the wind most of the way, but still. Fresh air, birds singing, people in good form, swans and ducks etc.. Complete contrast to my now-route home alongside the N7/Naas Road..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Used to run this regularly as I live in Lucan but after getting verbal abuse on more than a few occasions I just don't bother now. I suppose verbal abuse is better than physical but still I just don't bother anymore, not worth the hassle. The thing is most of the abuse came from teenage girls but you just know if you shouted anything back there would be a gang of scumbag fellas ready to attack you.
    It's a real pity as it really is a nice route.

• Advertisement

ewc78 wrote: »
    . . . . .The thing is most of the abuse came from teenage girls but you just know if you shouted anything back there would be a gang of scumbag fellas ready to attack you.
    It's a real pity as it really is a nice route.

This is so true. The only trouble I ever had along the canal was young slappers either spitting, roaring or throwing kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

The lights do work but they are low light level bulbs so not to disturb bats. Also, the CCTV used to be fed into the security in Park West as they had the contract to monitor them. Don't know if they still do it.

The CCTV was monitored in Grange Castle - I attended a meeting in the security office there with the local guards when the path was opened.

I got an email from my employer this morning about the route informing us that they are working with the guards and the council in an attempt to address the anti-social behaviour. Plus informing everyone onsite of the incidents that have been reported in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Got this back yesterday in response to my emails/queries as to who was going to take action against this.

A meeting took place Tues 17th Sept between SDCC officials, reps from Waterways Ireland & Clondalkin & Ronanstown Gardai to decide on a number of possible Actions:

· Commencing within the next week there will be a consistent presence of uniform Gardai supported by other members in plainclothes along the canal area and adjacent areas.

· Their presence will support remedial works to be completed to eliminate access points, preventing cars to & motorbikes gaining access to the canal.

· This may lead to some restrictions for cyclists in the short-term

· Seeking engagement with Outreach Workers around the issue.

· A refurbishment of the Gatekeeper’s Lodge refurbished is being sought ti improve positive use along with the possibility of other groups making use of the Canal.

I just hope the steps to eliminate the access points don't inhibit bike access, the rest is certainly welcome and I've already had heard reports of gardai in uniform being seen during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

A meeting took place Tues 17th Sept between SDCC officials, reps from Waterways Ireland & Clondalkin & Ronanstown Gardai to decide on a number of possible Actions:

· Commencing within the next week there will be a consistent presence of uniform Gardai supported by other members in plainclothes along the canal area and adjacent areas.

· Their presence will support remedial works to be completed to eliminate access points, preventing cars to & motorbikes gaining access to the canal.

Has anyone noticed a gardai / security presence over the last couple of weeks?

Nothing in the mornings between 8 and 9 anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Lads Nangor runs alongside, is a much safer bet. Wouldn't go near that canal in 100 years. Just not worth the risk.

Funny you should ask. yesterday I started a new job in Deansrath, beside the problem area but decided I’d get the bus rather than take the chance on my bike along the canal. On my way home on the bus around 1:30 pm, I saw 2 cycle Gardai questioning 2 Yo’s! over on the canal, where the gate was rammed.

Haven't seen them myself but have been told they were about and a query to some of the local authorities said the same that they are patrolling now. Been a marked decrease in the no hanging about but that could be down to the weather. They've also figured some way to pull the lights off the top of the polls and there is no working lighting along the canal on the section of path between the R136 and the R113.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Two guards walking along it last Tuesday morning around 10.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

There seems to be a pair that patrol from Ronanstown Garda station, along the R113, along the canal to Ninth Lock and back along the Ninth Lock Road. I've seen them most days, but usually after 10am and never in the afternoon.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

RunDMC wrote: »
    There seems to be a pair that patrol from Ronanstown Garda station, along the R113, along the canal to Ninth Lock and back along the Ninth Lock Road. I've seen them most days, but usually after 10am and never in the afternoon.

R

I've seen a pair or three around 2.30pm a few times on Fridays

Got an email this evening to say the damage to the lighting along by the 11th lock is such that the council don't want to use their resources to repair it, and aren't inclined to as they fear it will just be destroyed again. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on the face of it, that's utterly bananas. but i'd be taking that email and forwarding it to your local representatives; i can understand the frustration at the council staff, of spending money on things they know will be destroyed, but they probably wouldn't get much traction talking to the gardai, that's where councillors and TDs are more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

.. the council don't want to use their resources to repair it ..

Maybe they should just cover it over with a mound of topsoil like they did to the cycle lanes on the nearby Hayden's Lane access road, and be done with it :pac:

The email came via a local councillor I was reading between the lines but heres the extract

"I refer to representation received on 10/10/2019 in relation to Public Lighting at 12th Lock.
    We have carried out an extensive survey of the recent vandalism to our public lighting network at this
    location. A considerable amount of our resources will need to be expended in order to carry out the
    necessary repairs, with no guarantee that the repairs will, in fact, not also be vandalised.
    To that end, we are reviewing the situation internally with other departments to assess the best
    approach to remedying the issue for the longer term."

• Advertisement

The email came via a local councillor I was reading between the lines but heres the extract

"I refer to representation received on 10/10/2019 in relation to Public Lighting at 12th Lock.
    We have carried out an extensive survey of the recent vandalism to our public lighting network at this
    location. A considerable amount of our resources will need to be expended in order to carry out the
    necessary repairs, with no guarantee that the repairs will, in fact, not also be vandalised.
    To that end, we are reviewing the situation internally with other departments to assess the best
    approach to remedying the issue for the longer term."

Your tax dollars at work, ladies and gentlemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've cycled it a few times in the last few weeks but between 9-5 hours. 11th Lock/Grange Castle area was usually the one with the least amount of trouble and now it's probably the worst. It's in absolute rag order at the moment.

It's a shame because sometimes it's nice to not have to deal with traffic, the Nangor Road into Clondalkin at 4/5pm can be lethal with people pulling into the bus lane.

Cycling in this morning, the 1st set of gates after hopping on at Black Horse, had the remnants of a bonfire, actually, under the gates. Looks like someone had tried to set the whole lot on fire.

Rotten sh!ts.

They will attempt to burn anything, once they pulled the light fittings from the top of the pole and smashed them they then burned them to be sure the job was done!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I had to get out to Clondalkin on Monday and over to Ballsbridge after, so used the canal path out and back. Have to report there were no issues with it that day. Though I did seem the remains of a burnt out car and vandalism, graffiti etc. There were a fair few cyclist and pedestrians on it but the anti-social behaviour might be putting some people off, as I think I've seen more in the past.

Not to downplay the issues people have been highlighting here, but I think the serious problems are probably confined to the summer months. The rain and cold seems to be keeping the anti-social element off it these days. Maybe the Garda patrols are having an effect too. But certainly the only people I saw on it were dog walkers and cyclists.

I still would think it's much safer than using the Nangor Road to be honest. Just my two cents.

Just now passing the spot between fonthill and deansrath and it’s swarming with Garda. Plainclothes, uniforms, helicopter etc. looking for someone.

Some good news passed a truck on the towpath with new lampposts on the back of it and an electricians van on the canal too, yesterday there were a couple of guys inspecting the existing lights so hopefully the lighting will be fixed in the near future by the 11th lock.

Some good news passed a truck on the towpath with new lampposts on the back of it and an electricians van on the canal too, yesterday there were a couple of guys inspecting the existing lights so hopefully the lighting will be fixed in the near future by the 11th lock.

I passed around an hour ago and digging up the ground beside one of the exits. They also tarmaced part of one of the leading paths which was missing. I pass every day at one and there’s a lot of drug dealing at the 12th. Never any problem with them. Just there to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

Sounds good, i came in that way this morning and plan on going home that way around 4. Finally collected my "bike to work" and the guy in the bike shop warned me not to go home that way!!

• Advertisement

Sounds good, i came in that way this morning and plan on going home that way around 4. Finally collected my "bike to work" and the guy in the bike shop warned me not to go home that way!!

I've been going home that way again since the weather got dark and crappy.. It's been quite peaceful, and a lot less stressful than the Naas Road!

Advertisement