Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Dress shops

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Thanks for that. Oddly enough I'm in Killaloe at the moment for the weekend ��

• Registered Users Posts: 16 itsme2015

Hi all. Getting married in a year's time and beginning the wedding dress hunt over the next few weeks. I've lost some weight and intend to lose more but at the moment I'm a size 16-18 and I'm a little bit apprehensive about trying on dresses. What size do the shops tend to have in the sample dresses, and if they're too small do they just not do them up at the back and put in a panel? Is it possible to get a good feel for a dress this way? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

It can entirely depend on the shop to be honest. The only way you'll know is to contact the shop when booking appointments and ask directly. I was a 14 when I started looking, a 12 when I found it and a 10 when I got married. When I was all those sizes there were dresses that were tiny on me and made me feel like crap.
    Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I just paid a deposit on my dress in Belladonna bridal in Galway, they have a great range of plus size dresses and Tina the manager is a lovely women very relaxed and in no way pushy at all, they even can set up a payment plan for you. I live in wicklow but was down there on a girlie break with one of my bridesmaids, so delighted I made the appointment, tbh it would have even been worth going down specially, they even will keep a record of what you bought so if a friend or family member goes to them they wont let them but the same dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

hey guys just wondering if anyone has had any experiences in Folkster Bridal in Kilkenny? I'm thinking of booking an appointment but I can't find much info on what they stock apart form Don O'Neill. thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

Plankton1 wrote: »
    hey guys just wondering if anyone has had any experiences in Folkster Bridal in Kilkenny? I'm thinking of booking an appointment but I can't find much info on what they stock apart form Don O'Neill. thanks!

I went there about a year ago when I was looking. They had some lovely stuff and the prices were good.

I can't remember any of the brands. I don't think they were names I recognised from elsewhere. I think they generally try and get things exclusively for Folkster.

Oh that sounds great, thanks a million! Defo going to go there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciarak7511

Hey just thought I would mention Dirty Fabulous on wicklow street in Dublin if you're looking for something a bit different!

I originally wanted a short dress but the traditional bridal shops do very few of these.

Reasons for this:

-long dresses end up getting wrecked and turn black by the end of the night unless you have an army of bridesmaids picking it up after you
    -with a short dress you might be able to wear again if it doesn't look too weddingy!
    -it was just me

I went to a traditional bridal shop and while it was fun to try on these crazy elaborate expensive dresses it was a bit ridiculous.
    here's why:
    -they don't let you take pics
    -They were really overpriced
    -I went online when i got home and saw someone selling the 5 grand dress i had tried on for a grand so while you may think your dream dress is 4 or 5 grand, you'll probably only wear it for a day and try to make your money back next year.

so i made an appointment at Dirty fabulous and it was just so much fun! She was lovely, not pushy and let me take pics. They have vintage and some modern more traditional dresses. Even if you don't find anything you'll at least have fun playing dressup!

She was lovely and the dresses were very reasonable ranging from around 200 to 1100.

they have lots of short options and many of the longer vintage dresses can also be shortened.

I will say that vintage dresses are small though the corsets can always be taken out!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 completely confused

Hi all,

Just had an appointment in Beau bride in Naas and wanted to give some feedback.

Michelle who owns the place was really lovely and not at all pushy. She left us to pick out whatever we wanted to try and made some suggestions as well. The space is absolutely gorgeous (only opened in April) and while the selection is smaller than some shops, I found that I liked far more dresses here than in places that had hundreds to choose from. I ended up really liking 3 dresses and I think two are serious contenders. There was a good mix of prices with some really high end ones (5k +) but Michelle straight away pointed these ones out and said it was up to me whether I tried on or not as they were well out of budget.

I only stumbled across her website by chance and I'm glad I did so wanted to give her a shout out in case others haven't heard of her before. I'd highly recommend a visit if you're after something less traditional and a bit different :)

Completely Confused, I just logged on specially to come recommend Beau Bride and then I saw your post! I just said yes to the dress there this week! It was my 3rd visit and Michelle was so patient every time with me (I was very indecisive) every time. I could have worn any number of dresses from her shop - if anyone's looking for stunning, boho and different dresses, this place is for you. Also, she's a young Irish woman who just set up her own business and I'm delighted I ended up supporting her in her new venture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭wexpat girl

ciarak7511 wrote: »
    Hey just thought I would mention Dirty Fabulous on wicklow street in Dublin if you're looking for something a bit different!

I originally wanted a short dress but the traditional bridal shops do very few of these.

Reasons for this:

-long dresses end up getting wrecked and turn black by the end of the night unless you have an army of bridesmaids picking it up after you
    -with a short dress you might be able to wear again if it doesn't look too weddingy!
    -it was just me

I went to a traditional bridal shop and while it was fun to try on these crazy elaborate expensive dresses it was a bit ridiculous.
    here's why:
    -they don't let you take pics
    -They were really overpriced
    -I went online when i got home and saw someone selling the 5 grand dress i had tried on for a grand so while you may think your dream dress is 4 or 5 grand, you'll probably only wear it for a day and try to make your money back next year.

so i made an appointment at Dirty fabulous and it was just so much fun! She was lovely, not pushy and let me take pics. They have vintage and some modern more traditional dresses. Even if you don't find anything you'll at least have fun playing dressup!

She was lovely and the dresses were very reasonable ranging from around 200 to 1100.

they have lots of short options and many of the longer vintage dresses can also be shortened.

I will say that vintage dresses are small though the corsets can always be taken out!

This looks great. ALso looking for something different/ non traditional so more ideas welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Just want to post to highlight what my wife went through and hopefully save somebody else!
    Wife bought her dress in a bridal shop in Killaloe, Co. Clare 10 months before our wedding. She was told the dress would be ordered and it would take roughly 6 months for delivery. She paid a deposit of 50%.

Fast forward the 6/7 months and she rang to enquire after hearing nothing. Was told 2 more weeks.

Two weeks passes she rings again, was told next week.

Same story again, another week. The owner of the shop gave her word the dress would be in.

This continues until suddenly we are down to 10 days before the wedding, she still has no dress. The shop aren't doing anything. My wife was forced to go elsewhere and buy off the rail with a week to go. The shop never rang to say if the dress ever arrived. No contact whatsoever. No deposit returned. No apology.

Please be aware if considering purchasing from this shop!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jood10

Not the first time I've heard that about the shop in Killaloe, gave the place a wide berth myself when looking for my dress!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fina82

Hi, I need an inexpensive dress for a simple wedding. I was looking for tea length vintage looking dresses (no bedding or lace). I made an apt in Oxfam Dublin for 2 weeks time, have anybody being recently or have more recommendations please. TIA

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Vivian of Holloway would be my first thought (https://www.vivienofholloway.com/women-c70/wedding-c181), particularly for vintage style. I’d also look on Asos (one example) and Lindybop if you’re looking for a lower price point.

Faith wrote: »
    Vivian of Holloway would be my first thought (https://www.vivienofholloway.com/women-c70/wedding-c181), particularly for vintage style. I’d also look on Asos (one example) and Lindybop if you’re looking for a lower price point.

Thank you very much, I will definitely check them

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

Fina82 wrote: »
    Hi, I need an inexpensive dress for a simple wedding. I was looking for tea length vintage looking dresses (no bedding or lace). I made an apt in Oxfam Dublin for 2 weeks time, have anybody being recently or have more recommendations please. TIA

Went to Oxfam earlier in the year and wow they have absolute bargains! I didn't end up buying from there, because the style I was looking for was quite difficult to find but hopefully they'll have what you're looking for!

love_love wrote: »
    Went to Oxfam earlier in the year and wow they have absolute bargains! I didn't end up buying from there, because the style I was looking for was quite difficult to find but hopefully they'll have what you're looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Fina82 wrote: »

How did you get on finding an inexpensive tea length vintage dress? October 2020 here and I can't bare the thoughts of spending more than a few hundred on a dress. So looking early and often!

Advertisement