Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Dress shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Neyite wrote: »
    I'm 40 so will be a 40-something bride by the time we set a date Don't get hung up on what you think you should wear for your age, just have a blast trying on loads and you'll find something that you feel comfortable and gorgeous in.

Oh I fully intend to try loads on. Just have the idea that people will be thinking 'ah where's she going with the big dress at her stage of her journey' lol. Im sure they won't but ..

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

pfft... as long as you and yours think you look deadly, that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Ladies, are sample sales crazy?? Like jam packed, craziness??!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

I would expect so!
    However, I had my dress picked out in my head and arranged a day the week of the sale (it was on a Sunday) and they still applied the discount I would have gotten had I gone on the Sunday so that could be worth a shot if you knew what you wanted already.
    I don't think I'd brave a sample sale without a clear idea.
    The ladies in my shop said it would be manic on the Sunday and it's only a small place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Noelie wrote: »
    Hi, My Fiancee is about to start looking for a wedding dress in the next few months. she's got a list of places to go visit. but our main question at the moment is what kind of price would a dress be. I know it a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but any ideas?

We were thinking about 1000 would be enough it this too little or should she be able to find a good range for that kind of price.

also she is thinking of getting a halter neck dress is there much choice, she's been to a fwew shops and hasn't seen many halter necks.

Thanks in advance.

You'll get a dress for 1000 alright. If she likes short dresses they are cheaper (less material) or if she wants full length the simpler the cheaper. I tried on a lovely simple satin one for 400 last week! The more ornate (with train, sequins, lace, detail) the more expensive. Most of them are 1000-2000

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 pablo102

There is a Fashion Designer in Cork. I have few nice pictures, I took for her album.
    The place is called Kate Plum Atelier, Princess Street.
    PM me if you would like to see the images of the available dresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ronan_wals

I'm based in Clare and wondering what peoples opinions of the best Bridal Boutiques are in Clare/Galway/Limerick/Tipperary.

Is it worth while venturing to Dublin or are peoples opinions that you find the same styles in Dublin as you would in Clare/Galway/Limerick/Tipperary?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Ronan_wals wrote: »
    I'm based in Clare and wondering what peoples opinions of the best Bridal Boutiques are in Clare/Galway/Limerick/Tipperary.

Is it worth while venturing to Dublin or are peoples opinions that you find the same styles in Dublin as you would in Clare/Galway/Limerick/Tipperary?

It depend on the type of dress you are looKing for but in general Clare/Galway & Limerick have a huge amount of choice. Now if you are looking fora Jenny Peckham style/ vintage feel dress then Dublin could be agood idea. Lilac rose in Limerick was the only shop I found those type of dresses in Munster.

If that's what you are after de Stafford in Dublin City and the suite in Dublin City do those types of dresses. Otherwise stay in Munster but take a look at the bridal shops websites to see which ones youlike.

You'll quickly find what neckline /detail/ shade /style looks best on you and you can concentrate on ones in that style then. I hated lace, hated strapless, hated mermaid styles. Guess what suits me, and what my dress is like? :pac: If you'd showed me it on the rack, I'd have passed, but it makes me look bridal, rather than just me in a bridal dress if you know what I mean.

QUOTE]

Well went shopping a couple of weeks ago as I said and tried on the tea length one which was lovely so yep thats it we said! Then the girl said lets try on something completely different and use the tea length as a guage for the rest.

She pulled out a mermaid style - now never in a month of sundays would I even look at one of those- tight and figure hugging - 2 kids and flabby belly no way. Put it on and OMG OMG OMG - I looked about 3 sizes smaller. My sisters eyes nearly fell out of their heads - they sat with their mouths open!! She said the fabric in wedding dresses is so different to normal stuff and she was soooo right. Honestly couldnt believe it was me in the mirror!! I still can't get over it and I want to tell everyone lol

Going to another place on Sat with a definite vision of what I want. :D:D:D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Dovies wrote: »
    You'll quickly find what neckline /detail/ shade /style looks best on you and you can concentrate on ones in that style then. I hated lace, hated strapless, hated mermaid styles. Guess what suits me, and what my dress is like? :pac: If you'd showed me it on the rack, I'd have passed, but it makes me look bridal, rather than just me in a bridal dress if you know what I mean.

Well went shopping a couple of weeks ago as I said and tried on the tea length one which was lovely so yep thats it we said! Then the girl said lets try on something completely different and use the tea length as a guage for the rest.

She pulled out a mermaid style - now never in a month of sundays would I even look at one of those- tight and figure hugging - 2 kids and flabby belly no way. Put it on and OMG OMG OMG - I looked about 3 sizes smaller. My sisters eyes nearly fell out of their heads - they sat with their mouths open!! She said the fabric in wedding dresses is so different to normal stuff and she was soooo right. Honestly couldnt believe it was me in the mirror!! I still can't get over it and I want to tell everyone lol

Going to another place on Sat with a definite vision of what I want. :D:D:D

The 'scaffolding' in a proper wedding dress is amazing, isnt it? :D I was the same with mine - like you, the last style I'd have picked for myself, but even the woman in the shop told me that I looked like Jessica Rabbit in it. It gave me boobs and a tiny waist I didn't know I possessed. And I dunno what it did to my thighs, but they disappeared altogether! Jesus I felt fcuking amazing in it. I'm so delighted that you felt that too!

All I needed then was to choose the best shade in that style (and yeah, who knew there was so many shades of ivory??), and I found that in the next shop. Any dress I've seen since, its been "hmmm, nice dress but not as nice as my dress"

• Advertisement

Well went shopping again on Sat to another shop which has a better 'name' than the first one I was in. Put on the mermaid style again and looked awful! The fabric was just not as good as the last shop - one of the dresses I wouldnt even come out of the changing room. If I had tried this shop first I would never have put another mermaid dress on again!

Worth thinking about if anyone hasn't liked a style in one shop to maybe try it again somewhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

Perhaps you have found your dress already Dovies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

olaola wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips! I think I've found THE dress :)
    Gonna buy it online, for the saving I'm making, I would be nuts not to!

I have to say Town Bride was really great, Aspirations was gick. Not only was the 'shop' horrid, the staff knew damn all.
    The lady in the Ivory room was a bit scatty - she didn't help me at all, and kept on putting the dresses that I wanted to try on back up on the rails. She couldn't pin either.

Cathy DeStafford was also good - they gave some great advice in there.

OLAOLA IS GETTING MARRIED???!! Oh my God, CONGRATS!! :-) :-) Please tell me there will be skiing involved?! I'm DYING to do my first ski wedding!!! :-) xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

fannymagee wrote: »
    OLAOLA IS GETTING MARRIED???!! Oh my God, CONGRATS!! :-) :-) Please tell me there will be skiing involved?! I'm DYING to do my first ski wedding!!! :-) xxxx

Considering she posted 8 years ago I'd say you missed the bus there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

bee06 wrote: »
    Considering she posted 8 years ago I'd say you missed the bus there!

AHAHAHA!! Oh my God sorry, I didn't realise it's a resurrected thread!! I have followed the OP's pregnant ski trips over on the Winter Sports forum- I thought I was going to get to witness the wedding story now too! Yes, definitely missed the boat haha, feck it. Thanks for clearing that up Bee ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Amoureux

So going wedding dress shopping in Limerick soon and wondering if anyone has any opinions or recommendations? Have been looking online at Sefton House Bridal, Little White Dress, Virginia's, Amore Mio (Killaloe). Has anyone had any experience wth any of these or suggestions for anywhere else? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Just seen this on facebook:

10321175_944997072188635_8473213927789511059_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

I went to Bijou Bridal in Tramore, tbh didn't fancy look of many of dresses on website but they all look TOTALLY different on. Dress was a great price (this year's collection) and the girl there was so helpful and it was a lovely day.
    Only thing I'd say (dunno what goes on in other shops as haven't tried anywhere else) is all dresses were a size 10 that I could see. So it was grand as I'm a 10 but considering the average size is 14/16 now not sure how that works?!

etymon wrote: »
    Only thing I'd say (dunno what goes on in other shops as haven't tried anywhere else) is all dresses were a size 10 that I could see. So it was grand as I'm a 10 but considering the average size is 14/16 now not sure how that works?!

Yep pretty much par for the course in a lot of shops unfortunately. Their samples are quite small so its hard to see how it will look when it fits. Some I couldnt get into at all so couldnt try them on and some they just put a panel in the back to cover you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

All the shops I went to (3 in Amsterdam and 1 in Cork) had size 12s, 14s, 16s maybe even bigger? I was buying off the rails size 14 and I had plenty of options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

Amoureux wrote: »
    So going wedding dress shopping in Limerick soon and wondering if anyone has any opinions or recommendations? Have been looking online at Sefton House Bridal, Little White Dress, Virginia's, Amore Mio (Killaloe). Has anyone had any experience wth any of these or suggestions for anywhere else? Thanks.

I've an appointment on Tuesday in Amore Mio - they have some sample dresses available. So far very nice via email but can update on Tuesday as to what the place and people are like.

I'm also gonna check out No.15 "Le Maison de Curio" opposite entrance to Thomas Street car park. Previously owned dresses, I'm quite nervous about the dress shopping and the owner really put me at ease, so I feel like this place will suit me - but it depends on what's available.

Butterfly Brides - I've been in touch and seem nice, I just need to figure out when I get in to try dresses.

Ladies looking for a few suggestions. My daughter lives in the UK and will be here in Oct for a week. I want her to see the final choices before I pick one - she will probably not like any of them but thems the risks! I have 2 dresses picked out - one in Baldoyle and one in Tallaght. I would like to have a 3rd so will go dress trying again after my hols.

Any suggestions on where to go bearing in mind that I want to show her all 3 in the same day so really needs to be in between the 2 places! I was thinking of Tamem Michael in Ballymount - any feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ladies looking for a few suggestions. My daughter lives in the UK and will be here in Oct for a week. I want her to see the final choices before I pick one - she will probably not like any of them but thems the risks! I have 2 dresses picked out - one in Baldoyle and one in Tallaght. I would like to have a 3rd so will go dress trying again after my hols.

Any suggestions on where to go bearing in mind that I want to show her all 3 in the same day so really needs to be in between the 2 places! I was thinking of Tamem Michael in Ballymount - any feedback?

Which one are you going to in Tallaght? I cant recommend Fiona Todhunter enough, just got my dress there 2 weeks ago, well ordered it.
    She's based in Old Bawn, opposite the Old Mill shopping centre. She has been there 17 years.

andreac wrote: »
    Which one are you going to in Tallaght? I cant recommend Fiona Todhunter enough, just got my dress there 2 weeks ago, well ordered it.
    She's based in Old Bawn, opposite the Old Mill shopping centre. She has been there 17 years.

Yep thats where I have a dress picked already.

Yep thats where I have a dress picked already.

Ah brill, best of luck. Fiona is brilliant. That was my first appointment and my first dress i tried on and i went with that!! Went to 2 other shops and went back to my first dress.

Ah brill, best of luck. Fiona is brilliant. That was my first appointment and my first dress i tried on and i went with that!! Went to 2 other shops and went back to my first dress.

I probably will but I would like to have another one to compare all 3 then

I probably will but I would like to have another one to compare all 3 then

I did try on a dress up in that place in Ballymount so you could pop up there after Fiona's or before it. Its only about 5-10min drive so its not far.

What i would do is go to Fiona, then Ballymount then Baldoyle. At least you aren't going back and forth then, but suppose depends on which direction you are coming from :)

I
    What i would do is go to Fiona, then Ballymount then Baldoyle. At least you aren't going back and forth then, but suppose depends on which direction you are coming from :)

Lol Baldoyle! :)

Lol Baldoyle! :)

Ah ok lol. Sure do it the other way around then. But Fiona is well worth the trip, so maybe you could do Fiona after Baldoyle as i would maybe leave Ballymount last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

I was thinking of Tamem Michael in Ballymount - any feedback?

I went there with my sister in June, and to be honest we weren't impressed with the service. There was also another bride there for a fitting, and they hadn't ordered/lost the belt she had picked out to go with it, so it didn't really inspire any confidence!

Amoureux, we were in Sefton House and Amore Mio in Killaloe. Sefton House at first seems a bit disorganised in the way dresses are displayed, but the woman that runs it is really lovely and she as a good range. And she was also offering us very good value for money if you got wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses there. Amore Mio is a really good shop too, lovely staff, and good selection of dresses, including some very different ones.

Advertisement