Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Lads iv seen "edelman to the hall of fame?" Articles a few different spots now. Is there even any pats fans on here who believe he should be anywhere near it? Cant understand it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's recency bias.

There's a reason you can't get into the HOF until you're retired at least 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This might sound a bit callous, but is anyone else getting bored of the prolonged mourning of Wess on Around the NFL podcast?

I know its a quiet time of the year news-wise around the league, but they do seem to spend an inordinate amount of time remembering him. Like surely Julian Edelman deserves a tribute show of his own, but nope let's spend 25 mins discussing Wess, again.

They need to take an extended break to properly mourn I think.

I’m not sure talking about him during each show is prolonged mourning. I mean he was a huge part of the podcast and they were clearly more than work colleagues and they did take two weeks off after the super bowl and probably will in July when most things shut down before the season starts up fully again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's recency bias.

There's a reason you can't get into the HOF until you're retired at least 5 years.
    Absolutely.

Evaluate it in 5 years time and it will paint a clearer picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

nerd69 wrote: »
    Lads iv seen "edelman to the hall of fame?" Articles a few different spots now. Is there even any pats fans on here who believe he should be anywhere near it? Cant understand it at all

They're just good for clicks. Gets people annoyed enough to read how someone could possibly think that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Pats HOF? Instantly.

NFL HOF? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's recency bias.

I think being a three time Superbowl winner and Superbowl MVP will stand the test of time.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think being a three time Superbowl winner and Superbowl MVP will stand the test of time.

Do you think he's hall of fame?

nerd69 wrote:
    Do you think he's hall of fame?
    I'm not sure, no chance he's a first ballot but could get in later on.
    He wasn't just a receiver, he was a brilliant return man too, excellent blocker as well.
    I'd like him to Heinz Ward as in he was a great team player rather than an individual superstar.
    I'd like to see both those guys in the Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I love Edelman, but I think Hines Ward has a far, far more impressive résumé with regards to getting into the HoF.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

And Ward can't even get into the final round of voting so very difficult to see a path for Edelman.

I love Edelman, but I think Hines Ward has a far, far more impressive résumé with regards to getting into the HoF.
    I never said who was better than who if them. I'm saying they were both great team players and not individual superstars. They both could have had way better individual careers if they weren't so team orientated.
    As I said I'd like to see both get in at some stage.

I never said who was better than who if them. I'm saying they were both great team players and not individual superstars. They both could have had way better individual careers if they weren't so team orientated.
    As I said I'd like to see both get in at some stage.

Id argue edelman.woukdnt be anywhere close to as celebrated if he didn't land in the perfect.spot. I thought welker was better in the same spot being honest.

From purely a stats perspective edleman was an average reciever at best.

I appreciate you giving the other side of the argument all the same I don't think I'll ever agree but it's interesting to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

My main thing is I don't think there was a point anyone was arguing Julian was one of the best in the nfl which counts him out for me. Really good player on the right team.

Aaron Donald offered an apology. Victim states there was a case of mistaken identity. Not sure how many people look like Donald but anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Think a video was posted of your man getting beat up by a group of people and it's donald dragging people off him

Christy42 wrote:
    My main thing is I don't think there was a point anyone was arguing Julian was one of the best in the nfl which counts him out for me. Really good player on the right team.
    His yardage isn't great by any stretch but his clutch plays, some of which lead to a Superbowl MVP, were what made him stand out. On top of that he was an excellent punt returner for many years.
    He's the guy you want with seconds left on the clock in the fourth quarter.

His yardage isn't great by any stretch but his clutch plays, some of which lead to a Superbowl MVP, were what made him stand out. On top of that he was an excellent punt returner for many years.

Ya and I agree they bump him to an extent but his numbers are average nfl reciever numbers at best they are to low. I think he's had 2 1k years ever. Marshal falks recieving numbers are better than his as a running back. Honestly darren sproles has a better hall of fame shout and noone will be calling for that

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Edelman was absolutely clutch in the playoffs but HOF worthy? .I mean Wes Welker isnt in the HOF and I would say he had a better career overall then Edelman imo .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

I will still take Julio or Fitzgerald or peak Antonio at the end of a game every single time. The difference is Tom Brady. I will take Adams or Allen over him as well any time during a game.

He was a really good player and deserved to be a wr1 for a team in the league however I am not sticking in everyone who hung around that dynasty for long enough just because of their rings. The likes of Brady and Gronk would have dominated in nearly any team. I can't say the same for Edelman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Hococop wrote: »
    Think a video was posted of your man getting beat up by a group of people and it's donald dragging people off him

Saw on Twitter the guy that was attacked has acknowledged that AD was not the culprit and has apologised for wrongly accusing him. The venue has it all on CCTV according to AD’s lawyer so I’d say he knew the chance of a payoff was gone and he is now trying to save face.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote:
    I will still take Julio or Fitzgerald or peak Antonio at the end of a game every single time. The difference is Tom Brady. I will take Adams or Allen over him as well any time during a game.
    Fitzgerald and Brown are two of the greatest ever and I'd have them up there in clutch moments with Edelman.
    Jones didn't perform in his only Superbowl. Adams and Allen haven't been to a Superbowl but Adams has played below his normal standard in his NFCCG appearances. Keenan hasn't done well in his playoff performances either.
    Only comparisons there in clutch moments are Fitzgerald and Brown but I'd still take Edelman first in those moments. He's just done it in those moments more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Edelman will come down to the same thing as Eli, nobody thinks his play deserves HOF, but NFL loves nostalgia, and a Superbowl MVP and one of the best ever catches/highlights in a Superbowl will get him a lot of kudos.

Career yardage, TD's and receptions sometimes get overshadowed.

Eli has decent numbers at least there's a reason santonio holmes is not in the hof

Santonio had a short enough career, how many full seasons did he play? Five maybe six?
    Eli has 360 tds and 240 ints which isn't a good look. He'll deffo be in the hall though, could even be first ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Eli has decent numbers at least there's a reason santonio holmes is not in the hof

Yeah, there is really no comparison between Eli's numbers and Edelman. A fine career for Edelman given his limitations but he never came close to the player Eli was.

Pointing to rings as main support for a WR shows just shows how incredibly weak the claim is.

There is unsurprising talking out of both sides of certain mouths going on here. I don't remember Edelman being noted as a HOF level talent during discussions around the quality of the Patriots teams. Must remember this when it inevitably comes up in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Santonio had a short enough career, how many full seasons did he play? Five maybe six?
    Eli has 360 tds and 240 ints which isn't a good look. He'll deffo be in the hall though, could even be first ballot.

Wasn’t the short career the knock on Terrell Davis also ? I don’t think length of time in the league should be given that much weight honestly. Quality over quantity as they say.

I don’t think that the TD to int ratio will hurt Eli because one of the all time greats in Brett farve had nearly 400 ints in his career. While obviously stats are important in the nfl, there are times when I think analysts get too bogged down in them.

Santonio had one good year and a few decent years his but his career stats are essentially the same as edleman

nerd69 wrote:
    Santonio had one good year and a few decent years his but his career stats are essentially the same as edleman
    Yeah but a very short career too. That always goes against the player.

• Advertisement

Yeah but a very short career too. That always goes against the player.

But as a non hall of famer outperformed edleman in far fewer years while himself being average to below average I'm no sure I understand your argument

Advertisement