Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

I see he's quite high up in the betting this week, only 7 players with shorter odds than him. Based on how he's played recently I'm not surprised.

While this obviously reflects the strength of the field and takes his current good form into account, he’s a terrible price. Seamus has played the John Deere three times. - T16th was his best finish so not sure if he loves the course but he has made the cut three times. He hasn’t come into a tournament in as good form as he is doing this week so you just never know. He is getting closer...

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Motivator wrote: »

Seamus can be classed as a journeyman or whatever term some want to use to describe him but at the end of the day, he’s an elite player whatever way people want to look at it.

I totally agree - I don't think this can be overstated how good these guys are. Rick Shields on youTube/podcast had a very interesting bit there recently where he spent some time with James Robinson who's flitted on/off the European tour but is gone full time teaching pro now. Rick was saying this guy was on a totally different level to the other guys he's played with etc... but still not at solid (European) tour level, which really spelt it out to him how good the guys on both tours are.

Also played recently with Min Woo Lee from Australia & a couple of amateurs of +5, I found his perspective of these guys levels was refreshing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

When you see in person how "slow" these guys swing and the contact noise at impact you realise they're on a different planet

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Funnily enough I saw an article about the Korn Ferry Tour yesterday, there was a qualifier being played and a +2 handicap golfer shot the worst round of the year in those qualifiers which was an 88. There’s calls to lower the handicap mark for qualifiers for the Korn Ferry following it. These guys are on a different planet. I brought my wife with me to Mount Juliet on Sunday and she commented on how easy they make things look. Effortlessly driving a ball 290+ yards and she asked if it looks that easy why isn’t everyone doing it. All I could do was laugh.

We have young lads in our club that are +1 and +2 golfers and while they’re exceptionally good club golfers, they will never make the grade. Even to get a scholarship is nigh on impossible. When US colleges recruit players for scholarships, they use a scoring system to evaluate a player. To even get on a US colleges shortlist a player needs to hit 75% of the criteria and they work on the rest when they get the player over there. We had a young lad in our club a couple of years ago that was a +4 golfer and he didn’t make any shortlists for any college over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Anyone know what Lowry was off when he won the Irish open?

• Advertisement

Anyone know what Lowry was off when he won the Irish open?

+5 I think, I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,488 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

slave1 wrote: »
    He's a great example that life as a PGA pro is not easy, he's finding it tough, had luck on his side a few years in a row around the 125mark and is digging and fighting now for that tour card.
    Gritty stuff

I didn’t see too much of him over the weekend but from what I did see his putting seems to have been much better, hence the better scoring.
    Fair play to him. I really hope he gets his tour card. Hard work works.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would he have earned a few million at this stage? Winnings and sponsorships?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.28252.seamus-power.html

3.3m in career earnings. He has as many top 10s this season as he's ever had. He is on course for his most lucrative year on the PGA Tour but needs a couple of more decent finishes to get his card.

He's probably made some additional sponsorship money but not sure how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Speak Now

$3.6 million between PGA and Korn Ferry tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Speak Now wrote: »

Probably needs another couple of million to be set for life.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Speak Now wrote: »

If what James Robinson said is true on Rick Shiels podcast That's about 1.2million in his pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

Very good Tengolf interview here from last Thursday - interesting insights on where his game is at. Mentions a recent putting grip change. Also elbow surgery in Autumn meant that he only got back to proper practice in Feb or so. Puts his form in even better light.

https://youtu.be/wMq40nfF2nw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Read an article last year that estimated that the players expenditures are typically $5k per week for a tournament - before factoring in prize money.
    On top of that, the fee for Monday qualifying is something like $400 a pop.

Prize money is then reduced by the Caddie's share (typically 5-10%) and State Income Tax of whatever state is hosting the tournament (anything from 4-20% depending on the State, with 9 States having zero State income tax).

Easily run up $150k+ of expenditure across the season that takes a big bite out of the prize money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

blackwhite wrote: »
    Read an article last year that estimated that the players expenditures are typically $5k per week for a tournament - before factoring in prize money.
    On top of that, the fee for Monday qualifying is something like $400 a pop.

Prize money is then reduced by the Caddie's share (typically 5-10%) and State Income Tax of whatever state is hosting the tournament (anything from 4-20% depending on the State, with 9 States having zero State income tax).

Easily run up $150k+ of expenditure across the season that takes a big bite out of the prize money

James Robinson said, and i know this is in europe, that the golfer will see 33% of their winnings, the rest is tax/expenses etc etc.

DuckSlice wrote: »
    James Robinson said, and i know this is in europe, that the golfer will see 33% of their winnings, the rest is tax/expenses etc etc.

I don't like when they talk in percentages, because there's a good chunk of the expenditure is relatively fixed. Flights, accomodation, caddy's basic pay, etc. don't change whether you miss the cut or whether you win the tournament. The only costs that increase based on prize money are the caddy's performance bonus and the taxes.

I get that the 33% is reflective of the "average" tour player in Europe, but for the likes of Seamus Power who is more focused on making entry lists and then making cuts just to make a living the fixed costs are really the critical thing.

There was a very good podcast I listened to two or three years ago that went through the numbers. The average PGA tour players expenses are around $250,000 per year. That’s the average, I can’t remember who did the report but I’ll try and find the podcast. It’s worth noting that the figure was based on a caddie being on a retainer rather than the prize money percentage agreement. Because players and caddies are very private about their arrangements it was impossible to work out the actual figures.

Player sponsorships will cover some of the costs but don’t forget that the majority of sponsorship deals will be performance related with little of the agreed number being guaranteed upfront. Obviously each player is different and will have different deals and different performance expectations from their sponsors so again it’s impossible to work out their income from their sponsor deals.

Motivator wrote: »
    There was a very good podcast I listened to two or three years ago that went through the numbers. The average PGA tour players expenses are around $250,000 per year. That’s the average, I can’t remember who did the report but I’ll try and find the podcast. It’s worth noting that the figure was based on a caddie being on a retainer rather than the prize money percentage agreement. Because players and caddies are very private about their arrangements it was impossible to work out the actual figures.

Player sponsorships will cover some of the costs but don’t forget that the majority of sponsorship deals will be performance related with little of the agreed number being guaranteed upfront. Obviously each player is different and will have different deals and different performance expectations from their sponsors so again it’s impossible to work out their income from their sponsor deals.

On the caddy fees, from what I've heard nearly all are on a base retainer plus a % of winnings. Miss a cut, or even make the cut and finish last of the weekend players, and there's a good chance that the caddy makes more than the player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

blackwhite wrote: »
    On the caddy fees, from what I've heard nearly all are on a base retainer plus a % of winnings. Miss a cut, or even make the cut and finish last of the weekend players, and there's a good chance that the caddy makes more than the player

Maybe for the top players and their caddies but I don't think that's the case for the others

OEP wrote: »
    Maybe for the top players and their caddies but I don't think that's the case for the others

Surely the other way around I'd have thought? Can't see many caddies being willing to work without a guaranteed weekly minimum unless they're on the bag of the top 20 or so earners.

Anything I've read (and it's been PGA tour-slanted usually) has said the most common arrangement is a weekly retainer, plus a % of winnings with the % increasing for finishes about a certain place (usually top 10).

Either way - getting way off the topic of Seamus Power at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Unfortunate that the down time happened during the John Deere. His performance on the back nine of round 3, told you a lot about character. between 9 and 12 he nearly imploded and then he got his head together and got the round back on track. That sets the platform for another great finish and up in to the top 125.

Great chance this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Just unfortunate he couldn't make one the three good birdie looks he gave himself on the last three greens, could've been the week that cemented his card and a bonus trip to the Open.

He showed and has been showing incredible character I agree and is in arguably the form of his life, one more good week and he's secure for next year.

A win isn't out of the question with the way he's playing currently either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He's the bookies favourite to win this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That makes no sense. As as of the start of the Barbasol, there are 15 players who are higher up the FexEx table than Seamus. Five of them are in the top 100.

Click the 'starting' header under 'FedEx' on the leaderboard banner and you'll see the players ranked by their position on the FedEx table .....

https://www.pgatour.com/competition/2021/barbasol-championship/leaderboard.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Not saying I agree with the favourite tag but he probably has the best form in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The bookies are seldom wrong, he's favourite for a reason, one of the most in form players on the planet at present

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

-6 and no bogies through 17 holes today, 2 off the lead

Edit: Birdied the 18th too, finished -7, currently one off the lead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't mean to say he will achieve anything like Kuchar has done in the game. What I mean is that he could be able to achieve the same level of consistency, albeit a level below Kuchar. I could see Seamus being a consistent top 25 player in regular tour events. Not sure he has what it takes to win but he has the game to earn a huge amount of money even if he doesn't win. He seems to be playing with more freedom now and the self belief that he belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Another super round from Seamie. Really is playing great stuff at the moment. Confidence must be at an all time high & another good finish looking in store. Would love to see him get the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

Great to see another fantastic round from the "bottler". Who even came up with that stuff?

The man is in great form and long may it continue. The PGA tour is absolutely shark-infested waters and there's no room for bottlers on that tour. If you can get the starts or even a tour card you are 100%, not a bottler.

Post edited by coillcam on

Advertisement