Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Motivator wrote: »
    He could end up jumping into the top 135 in the fedex standings. Another solid week next week and he’d shoot further up again. He’s playing so well lately, it would be devastating for him not to secure his card.

He gets almost no recognition in Ireland for what he’s doing and he’s got to be one of the most in form players on the PGA tour in the last 2 months. 2 top 10s and 2 top 20s in his last four starts. Fantastic form in some ultra competitive tournaments.

You have to get the wins to get the Ole Ole Ole crowd on board, there was barely a mention of Cormac Shavrin over the weekend at the Irish Open.

Almost certainly will be enough - currently tied 6th and only five golfers with any sort of chance of passing him, it's highly unlikely that all five will. He'll probably finish somewhere around T-8.

Yeah T8 is the worst he can finish now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Speak Now wrote: »
    Yeah T8 is the worst he can finish now.

Thankfully a small return on my XXXX wager :)

A) No aftertiming

B) Not the betting thread

Please refrain from both type of posts please

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

Should be about $212k - a good week’s work again. (That’s for Seamus Power, not JoeBloggs32)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Delighted for him and no more than he has deserved for his performances over the last few weeks. He must have a great chance now of making the top 125 in the FedEx. One bogey in four rounds and no meltdown on a Sunday, great week for Seamus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭dublin49

yeah great for him,some pressure to keep performing week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

If my figures are right, Seamus goes from 208 to 286 Fedex cup points which puts him in the top 140. Probably needs another 80 to 90 points to get his card secured. A lot of golf to be played still though but a top 10 next week would put him top 125 so the pressure only goes up for Seamus now not the other way.

Great performance from him over the last 4 days and a hell of a confidence boost for him and his caddie who commutes from Ireland. They’ve earned some nice money over the last 2 or 3 months.

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    Delighted for him and no more than he has deserved for his performances over the last few weeks. He must have a great chance now of making the top 125 in the FedEx. One bogey in four rounds and no meltdown on a Sunday, great week for Seamus.

140th after tonight, he got approx 77 pts so still 60 shy of 125th. As well as next week he will need to do very well in the smaller events opposite The Open and WGC events.

Speak Now wrote: »
    140th after tonight, he got approx 77 pts so still 60 shy of 125th. As well as next week he will need to do very well in the smaller events opposite The Open and WGC events.

He picked up probably 7 world ranking points as well which could move him inside the top 200 in the world. It’s also now his highest ever ranking so a great week for lots of different reasons for Seamus. Another performance like we saw this week could be a complete game changer for him. In May, he was outside the top 200 in the fedex cup meaning he would be in bother for some of the big Korn Ferry tour events but that’s all changed now.

If he wins on the PGA this thread will explode. I would dearly love to see him make the breakthrough. It’s so easy to forget how many players there are like Seamus who are scrapping for survival each week never mind each season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Delighted to see a strong finish from Seamus. Hopefully he can kick on from here. If he could just get to the next level where he doesn't have to worry about having his card, and without that pressure I think he could be a cash machine, something like a Matt Kuchar.

• Advertisement

The 4 consecutive top 20s have moved him up exactly 200 places in the OWGR, 437 to 237!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Delighted to see a strong finish from Seamus. Hopefully he can kick on from here. If he could just get to the next level where he doesn't have to worry about having his card, and without that pressure I think he could be a cash machine, something like a Matt Kuchar.

Think you might be overestimating him just a tad there! Kuchar is number 10 on the all-time money list with $52m in career earnings, somehow I don’t think Seamus is going to go from the 125-150 ranking every year to a walking ATM. I’d settle for him getting a win and/or his full card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

He could end up jumping into the top 135 in the fedex standings. Another solid week next week and he’d shoot further up again. He’s playing so well lately, it would be devastating for him not to secure his card.

He gets almost no recognition in Ireland for what he’s doing and he’s got to be one of the most in form players on the PGA tour in the last 2 months. 2 top 10s and 2 top 20s in his last four starts. Fantastic form in some ultra competitive tournaments.

He gets very little media attention in Ireland, the only place i ever hear his results reported is TodayFM.

Great result for him yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭boccy23

Earned $212K.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,680 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

DuckSlice wrote: »
    He gets very little media attention in Ireland, the only place i ever hear his results reported is TodayFM.

Great result for him yesterday.

Seems to do very few interviews, you'd almost never hear him speak. Never really comes back to Ireland unlike some of our other players on tour. Needs to engage a bit more to get better known over here.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Seems to do very few interviews, you'd almost never hear him speak. Never really comes back to Ireland unlike some of our other players on tour. Needs to engage a bit more to get better known over here.

I agree, but i suppose he hasnt got the luxury of being able to miss events over there at the moment.

Did he ever have a full card?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Seamus represented Ireland in 2016 Olympics; got his full PGA card in 2017; needs to get back to 125 FedEx points to regain the full card.
    https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.28252.seamus-power.html

DuckSlice wrote: »
    I agree, but i suppose he hasnt got the luxury of being able to miss events over there at the moment.

Did he ever have a full card?

He gave an interview where the Irish open was discussed and he said he needs to get his playing rights sorted before he can even think about playing internationally. His bread and butter is the PGA tour and it’s his livelihood. It’s grand for the likes of Lowry to pick and choose what events they play in, the reason being Lowry has a major and $30m in the bank. Seamus can’t do that, yet, but a win would change everything and open up more doors for him.

Yes he had full playing tights but lost the full card two years ago and has been playing on a restricted card meaning he only has a certain number of guarantee starts on the PGA. The rest are either invites, qualifiers or he gets in as an alternate which is what happened for the Rocket Mortgages. Probably a little known fact but Seamus has a hole in one on the 3rd hole at the Players Championship a couple of years ago. A lot of people mightn’t even know he got into that event. Securing his card for next year is a real possibility now and would ease the pressure on him an awful lot.

He has a big American following, much bigger than his Irish following, they love the name and the novelty factor of having an Irishman playing over there. Seamus profile will only improve the better he plays. A lot of people don’t know much about him because he gets hardly any coverage. A win or him contending more will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭amlinopta

He gave an interview where the Irish open was discussed and he said he needs to get his playing rights sorted before he can even think about playing internationally. His bread and butter is the PGA tour and it’s his livelihood. It’s grand for the likes of Lowry to pick and choose what events they play in, the reason being Lowry has a major and $30m in the bank. Seamus can’t do that, yet, but a win would change everything and open up more doors for him.

Yes he had full playing tights but lost the full card two years ago and has been playing on a restricted card meaning he only has a certain number of guarantee starts on the PGA. The rest are either invites, qualifiers or he gets in as an alternate which is what happened for the Rocket Mortgages. Probably a little known fact but Seamus has a hole in one on the 3rd hole at the Players Championship a couple of years ago. A lot of people mightn’t even know he got into that event. Securing his card for next year is a real possibility now and would ease the pressure on him an awful lot.

He has a big American following, much bigger than his Irish following, they love the name and the novelty factor of having an Irishman playing over there. Seamus profile will only improve the better he plays. A lot of people don’t know much about him because he gets hardly any coverage. A win or him contending more will change that.
    Only got in to the tournament as an alternate on Tuesday. Great performance, one dropped shot in 72 holes. A full card would be huge, looks like 5 regular tour events left to climb into the top 125.

amlinopta wrote: »
    Only got in to the tournament as an alternate on Tuesday. Great performance, one dropped shot in 72 holes. A full card would be huge, looks like 5 regular tour events left to climb into the top 125.

I think he’s only guaranteed 2 starts out of those 5 regular tour events though so he needs to keep the foot down now. The beauty of the British open being on means a huge number inside the top 125 will be playing it giving this further down the rankings a chance to pick up some points. There’ll be a smaller number of points on offer that week but any points will do at this stage.

The brain isn’t working so well this morning, I forgot the British open is a FedEx cup event.

• Advertisement

I think he’s only guaranteed 2 starts out of those 5 regular tour events though so he needs to keep the foot down now. The beauty of the British open being on means a huge number inside the top 125 will be playing it giving this further down the rankings a chance to pick up some points. There’ll be a smaller number of points on offer that week but any points will do at this stage.

The brain isn’t working so well this morning, I forgot the British open is a FedEx cup event.

Should be guaranteed 3, Barracuda is on same week at St Jude. Wouldn't be surprised if he got into all 5 though but that would mean only week off is Olympic week. Maybe if he got 4 it would suit, no point in being panned out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

amlinopta wrote: »

That's the kind of perspective the thread needs more of tbh.

The expectations on here are crazy at times. He's a 34 year old golfer who is somewhere along the line of being good enough or not, to compete on the PGA Tour. That's not a slight on him, it's an amazing achievement in itself but reading this thread at times you would think he is a generational talent, who can't make a birdie putt or who can't finish out a tournament.

As you say, he only got in by an invite. A Top 10 finish and hiss other good finishes of late should be seen as a great achievement from a guy doing his best to grind out a card under immense pressure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

greyday wrote: »
    Credit to him for going for it on 17, showing some balls for a serial bottler today.

There adding to a debate and there is this nonsense, again. Either clean up your act or you'll not be posting in this thread again.

PARlance wrote: »
    That's the kind of perspective the thread needs more of tbh.

The expectations on here are crazy at times. He's a 34 year old golfer who is somewhere along the line of being good enough or not, to compete on the PGA Tour. That's not a slight on him, it's an amazing achievement in itself but reading this thread at times you would think he is a generational talent, who can't make a birdie putt or who can't finish out a tournament.

As you say, he only got in by an invite. A Top 10 finish and hiss other good finishes of late should be seen as a great achievement from a guy doing his best to grind out a card under immense pressure.

I think 99% of the people on this thread are serious enough golf fans to recognise what Seamus Power is doing. There’s 156 players that tee it up on a Thursday on the PGA Tour, for him to be one of those players and to be even be competing is a fantastic achievement. For him to be making cuts and earning money on a weekly basis is an even better achievement again.

Seamus can be classed as a journeyman or whatever term some want to use to describe him but at the end of the day, he’s an elite player whatever way people want to look at it. I’m fully convinced he’s a tour winner in waiting. I would never refer to him or any other player as a bottler because winning a tour event is one of the hardest things to do in golf. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. We all want to see Seamus doing well, the odd lunatic that comes on here to knock him or gloat about him making a mistake doesn’t detract from his achievements or his abilities.

In his last four tournaments he’s a combined 48 under par, his stats have all improved week on week and hopefully his performance over the last few days can ease some of the pressure on him mentally. He’s got the game to win, it’s his self belief that probably holds him back but to get around that course with 1 dropped shot in 4 days that surely puts him in a great place going into this week‘s event.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He's a great example that life as a PGA pro is not easy, he's finding it tough, had luck on his side a few years in a row around the 125mark and is digging and fighting now for that tour card.
    Gritty stuff

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

He's currently in the best form of his career on tour. He has risen to be in contention to regain his tour card and will still probably be kicking himself that he hasn't already made it. Apart from this weekend, he has finished lower than he really should have in the past few weeks, so even though his stats look very very good, they're not flattering him at all.

I hope that he can continue his good form as his confidence must surely be at an all time high and wouldn't it be great to see him get over the line. I have a sneaky feeling that a win is coming and that he might actually win by surging through with a great final round soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Think that final round without any mistakes and finishing strong will be huge for his confidence going forward.

You'd have to hope he takes advantage of his great form at the moment with a top 5 or better to cement his position. He obviously can't continue this form indefinitely, no golfer does. A win next week would be the job and qualify him for the Open, I think they have a couple of spots for top 10 finishers who aren't already qualified like the Irish Open.

Get his card back and a trip to the Open in the same week would be pretty special, and with his current form who knows.

I wish him good luck anyway and fair play to him for digging out his best stuff when he really needs it.

Think that final round without any mistakes and finishing strong will be huge for his confidence going forward.

You'd have to hope he takes advantage of his great form at the moment with a top 5 or better to cement his position. He obviously can't continue this form indefinitely, no golfer does. A win next week would be the job and qualify him for the Open, I think they have a couple of spots for top 10 finishers who aren't already qualified like the Irish Open.

Get his card back and a trip to the Open in the same week would be pretty special, and with his current form who knows.

I wish him good luck anyway and fair play to him for digging out his best stuff when he really needs it.

Just the one spot at the John Deere for the Open, highest finisher in top 5 not exempt.

300 FedEx points on offer for the John Deere this week but still a pile of money on offer with $1.1m to the winner. Big chance for Seamus to push on, he must be flying confidence wise and his finishes the last 4 starts are very encouraging. I keep going back to his weekend rounds in Detroit - 69, 67 with no dropped shot is some scoring. In my view he’s the form player on the PGA Tour at the minute and reading his comments after his final round yesterday he was a bit disappointed he didn’t go lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I see he's quite high up in the betting this week, only 7 players with shorter odds than him. Based on how he's played recently I'm not surprised.

Advertisement