Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-07-2020, 07:35   #46
M.T. Cranium

Getting brighter, I just got in from a clear sky late evening view here, and would say it has brightened by perhaps 20 or 25 per cent over two days. It is closing in on the first pair of stars shown in my earlier diagram (lower right of the bowl of the Big Dipper). If you get a chance this evening in any part of Ireland, it can be located from this chart although you'll probably see the comet before you find the two stars it is approaching. The next night it should be moving through that gap (possibly before your turn so I may see that from here on Sunday evening).

So I have taken the original diagram and edited it as follows for tonight (19th 00z roughly).

.................................................NW.......................................................NNW......
....................................0.....................................................................................
....................0..............................0........................................................................
....................................................................0.............................................................
...................................................................................0.....................................................
..................................................................0.........................................................................
.................................................................................0...........................................................
..............................................................................................................................................
...........................o..................................................................................................................
...............................................................................................................................................
.........................o.........................................................................o.........!.............................:.
.................................................................................................o..........!!............................:...
............................................................................................................@.............................:..
...............................................................................................................................................
...................................................................................................Comet 18th-19th ...................

(the comet is steadily moving right to left or west and will eventually be near the next pair of stars shown
below the handle of the plough/dipper.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-07-2020, 09:30   #47
oriel36

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T. Cranium View Post
(the comet is steadily moving right to left or west and will eventually be near the next pair of stars shown
below the handle of the plough/dipper.
It takes quite an effort to translate the transition from a morning appearance to an evening appearance of a celestial object or as it moves from right to left of the Sun as viewed from the orbital plane. You are trying to include daily rotational East and West coordinates and that defeats the whole purpose of relating the comet to the central Sun and the moving Earth.

The Earth is constantly shifting axial orientation to the Sun as the North pole moves in a small circle parallel to the orbital plane over the course of a year like so -

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...7576d1341.webp

Unfortunately a moderator sought to close down the other thread for some unwarranted reason of anger which I don't have as untangling the issue of what is left or right of the Sun or from a dawn to twilight appearance can be challenging at first for any observer. It intersects with weather and seasonal weather patterns in the way the original framework of Copernicus (which needed modification anyway) was lost to the 17th century RA/Dec modelers who attempted to make the Earth's daily rotation the basis for observations.

The graphic above is accounted for in a description of Copernicus which he jettisoned by the time he wrote De Revolutionibus. It would take 500 years until the emergence of satellite imaging to demonstrate what that motion parallel to the orbital plane looks like -

"The third is the motion in declination. For, the axis of the daily rotation is not parallel to the Grand Orb's axis, but is inclined [to it at an angle that intercepts] a portion of a circumference, in our time about 23 1/2°. Therefore, while the earth's center always remains in the plane of the ecliptic, that is, in the circumference of a circle of the Grand Orb, the earth's poles rotate, both of them describing small circles about centers [lying on a line that moves] parallel to the Grand Orb's axis. The period of this motion also is a year, but not quite, being nearly equal to the Grand Orb's [revolution]. The Grand Orb's axis, however, being invariant with regard to the firmament, is directed toward what are called the poles of the ecliptic." Copernicus

http://copernicus.torun.pl/en/archiv...=transkrypcja&

In conclusion, when the comet moves from right to left of the Sun as it has been doing over the last week or so, the description is based on how we see the comet from the orbital plane of the Earth. It is why the ISS imaging is so compelling in this respect -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh1_wHdUx3Y&t=122s

The more observers become familiar with the astronomical relationships involved with the comet, the more the curtain rises on the satisfaction gained by linking the motions of the planet to weather and climate as they truly exist.
Thanks from:
19-07-2020, 00:23   #48
Meteorite58

Not great but seemed to have caught a satellite passing this evening. Might go out again, very cold and the lens keeps getting coated in condensation.

(6) thanks from:
19-07-2020, 00:25   #49
Purple Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite58 View Post
Not great but seemed to have caught a satellite passing this evening. Might go out again, very cold and the lens keeps getting coated in condensation.

What time will Bob and Doug and the Russians zoom past again tonight?
19-07-2020, 00:48   #50
quad_red

Quote:

Went out there myself. Wall of cloud.
Advertisement
19-07-2020, 00:50   #51
quad_red

Quote:

Ah good stuff.

Went out myself and bank of cloud where it should be. Waited a while to see if it would move but no luck.

Will try again tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 34528A8E-E0E1-425E-A66E-772A4AE898A8.jpeg (315.9 KB, 26 views)
19-07-2020, 00:58   #52
pauldry

Was miraculously clear in Sligo but still didnt see and I drove up the hills. Cloudy now so no chance. Downloaded Stellarium and it's still not visible. Might drive up hills late tomorrow night if clear
19-07-2020, 01:26   #53
SouthWesterly

Clear night in North Kerry.
Got some nice shots
Not as clear to the naked eye as last week
19-07-2020, 01:37   #54
pauldry

Completely clear in Sligo now but cant see it. Off to bed.
Advertisement
19-07-2020, 01:56   #55
Purple Mountain

I can see every other star in the sky but no comet
19-07-2020, 02:04   #56
Meteorite58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Mountain View Post
I can see every other star in the sky but no comet
Fairly faint now but use the plough as a guide.....

(3) thanks from:
19-07-2020, 02:06   #57
Purple Mountain

Quote:
Fairly faint now but use the plough as a guide.....

Thanks, I was looking under the Plough but like you said it's faint.
19-07-2020, 02:33   #58
beveragelady

Delighted with myself! I've been hauling myself and some confused dogs up the hill behind my house every night looking for Neowise without ever a hope of seeing it. Finally saw it tonight, much bigger than I expected but not very bright (bit like myself). It's cold and clear out there tonight, very rewarding skygazing.
(3) thanks from:
19-07-2020, 03:30   #59
lolie

Definitely getting a bit dimmer now.
(3) thanks from:
19-07-2020, 04:15   #60
riffmongous

What time are you guys seeing it at?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic