Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comet NeoWise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭oriel36

I shrug, the last time I was banned (think it was the astronomy forum) was by a Chelsea soccer supporter who had really no links to the forum yet really no problem as only a small minority like challenges at this level. It should be enough that I am not critical of people who take photos of a celestial object using a celestial sphere framework but people can do much better.

It is impossible to account for the seasons without the appreciation of the change in position of the stars from left to right of the central Sun much less the more involved issue of climate which requires planetary comparisons. The star Polaris too changes position in the same manner but in a smaller circle than the stars why lie on the orbital plane. The fact is that daily rotation swamps this observation, however, were the C3 camera to be directed towards Polaris, it too would have that change in position parallel to the orbital plane due solely to the Earth's orbital motion -

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

It is a wonderful thing to track the motion of the North/South poles across the fully illuminated face of the Earth or indeed the poles of any planet as they turn parallel to the orbital plane and the central Sun, after all, this accounts for the single day/night cycle at both poles regardless who bans me or tries to stop the fact from emerging. It is certainly not for celestial sphere enthusiasts or experimental theorists but belongs with those who realise what they are looking at with effort and familiarity -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=612gSZsplpE

If planetary dynamics returned to weather and climate sciences or indeed solar system structural context, humanity would not be scarred by the fuss created by modelers who are clearly out of their depth or are nuisances.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's akin to an Echo chamber.... You don't seem to realise few, if any, here are being swayed by your posts. In fact I'd say they are having the opposite effect of what you intend. Were you slighted at some stage? It seems like you have a need to prove you have superior knowledge to everyone else.

It's akin to an Echo chamber.... You don't seem to realise few, if any, here are being swayed by your posts. In fact I'd say they are having the opposite effect of what you intend. Were you slighted at some stage? It seems like you have a need to prove you have superior knowledge to everyone else.

You have no idea what is intended other than the time lapse demonstrates what is inspirational for those with the ability to interpret what is in front of them.
    If you can't figure out what is happening using the C3 camera tracking with the Earth's orbital motion around the central Sun hidden behind the centre of the camera then that reflects your deficiency but I wouldn't bother to consider that as anything other than a lack of personal effort.

Go ahead and have your rants by demanding banning or whatever, encourage ostracism or some other weak defense - it is not going to make the slightest difference to the more expansive perspective provided by imaging and animated graphics -

https://theskylive.com/planetarium?objects=sun-moon-c2020f3-mercury-venus-mars-jupiter-saturn-uranus-neptune-pluto&localdata=51.48%7C0%7CGreenwich%2C+United+Kingdom%7CEurope%2FLondon%7C0&obj=c2020f3&h=12&m=15&date=2020-07-17#ra|7.6974701803474765|dec|26.031450313098624|fov|50

Miserable people will always be miserable but for those who can experience inspiration, enjoy the beehive cluster as it comes into view because of the Earth's orbital motion and many of the other spectacles that periodically show up. That is only the beginning for cause and effect between the planet's motions and Earth experiences come into view for the first time in centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

oriel36 wrote: »

Miserable people will always be miserable but for those who can experience inspiration, enjoy the beehive cluster as it comes into view because of the Earth's orbital motion and many of the other spectacles that periodically show up. That is only the beginning for cause and effect between the planet's motions and Earth experiences come into view for the first time in centuries.

I am at loss to understand how you can conclude someone not agreeing with you must be miserable and therefore lacking inspiration :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

So Neowise.....

There are good AR apps and star gazer apps that will help you pin point the comet.
    I haven't seen the comet yet, but my guess is the Dublin sky line coupled with the light pollution isn't the best conditions.

I'm heading to Donegal next week so light pollution wont be an issue. Perhaps it's position relative to the sun could be an issue by then?

I am at loss to understand how you can conclude someone not agreeing with you must be miserable and therefore lacking inspiration :confused:

I so enjoy humanity including its acceptance, albeit slowly, of descriptions which I once enjoyed alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AEluR-CBu4&t=66s

I was waiting for Mercury to come into range of the camera and saw the comet while Mercury was passing between the slower moving Earth and stationary Sun. The reason Mercury moves faster than the change in position of the stars (retrograde motion) is because the planet moves faster than the Earth hence a new perspective from a 'fixed stars' background.

Every now and again, a more reasonable person sets themselves apart from being the 'teacher's pet' in this forum and sees our relationship to the Sun and the other planets as they truly exist -

https://theskylive.com/planetarium?objects=sun-moon-c2020f3-mercury-venus-mars-jupiter-saturn-uranus-neptune-pluto&localdata=51.48%7C0%7CGreenwich%2C+United+Kingdom%7CEurope%2FLondon%7C0&obj=c2020f3&h=12&m=15&date=2020-07-17#ra|7.6974701803474765|dec|26.031450313098624|fov|50

A tip. The topic is bigger than the people inspecting it so although we participate in the motions of the Earth and experiences its effects, these motions are not subservient to a 'clockwork solar system' beloved of experimental theorists and celestial sphere enthusiasts. Inspiration is not a conviction, it is something bigger than the individual even if humanity has taken a holiday from this truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think this may be apt...

I think this may be apt...

Have a ball !, I don't mind creative insults when that is all people have left but perhaps being a teacher's pet as most seem content to be is less than helpful.

For serious meteorologists who wish to re-introduce the motions of the planet for climate and weather on a planetary scale, the incredible reference supplied by a satellite tracking with the Earth is the closest, other than the motions of the North/South poles parallel to the orbital plane, for discerning the single surface rotation accounting for the polar day/night cycle. When this surface rotation combines with daily rotation we get the seasons.

Not often the demonstration for the Earth's orbital motion is met with such funny reactions as though it were offensive ! -

Experimental modeling has its purposes but in the grand scheme of things it is exceptionally limited and even obstructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

I understand that this is a topic you feel very enthusiastic about but honestly most people see your walls of text as nothing but rambling and very incoherent and hard to understand, like you have a thesaurus in one hand and are trying to write a fantasy book.

Are you on the spectrum by any chance? Not intended as an insult. But just take it easy. Most people come here for basic weather discussion and wanting to know the position of the comet relative to the constellations, if its magnitude is fading and if it's going to be a cloudy night.

Anyway, here's a snap I took the other night around midnight. 30 second exposure.
    Pretty accurate representation as to what it looked like to the naked eye.
    Also funny that you can still see some sunshine at midnight in this country. :D

ga0Z9C2.jpg

• Advertisement

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Are you on the spectrum by any chance? Not intended as an insult. But just take it easy. Most people come here for basic weather discussion and wanting to know the position of the comet relative to the constellations, if its magnitude is fading and if it's going to be a cloudy night.

ga0Z9C2.jpg

Keep them insults coming !.

The Sun is also a star so when dealing with orbital components between moving celestial objects, few can put the position and motion of the comet in context of a central star (our Sun) and the motion and position of a moving Earth. Maybe you would like to ignore our star so you can make the other stars important but such is the RA/Dec subculture.

Perhaps you should consider yourself on a spectrum and content to be locked inside a rotating celestial sphere where you are at the centre of your own personal universe -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYy0EQBnqHI

More reasonable people with more expansive perspectives which link the motions of the planet to meteorology recognise only the change in position of the background stars parallel to the orbital plane and from left to right of the stationary Sun -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AEluR-CBu4&t=71s

Spectrum indeed !, you are allowed your identification exercise if that is all you can manage but people of perceptive and intellectual stature can extend beyond that and enjoy the imaging by interpreting what they are seeing.

Keep them snaps and insults coming, anyone would think you were another teacher's pet.

Keep them insults coming !.

The Sun is also a star so when dealing with orbital components between moving celestial objects, few can put the position and motion of the comet in context of a central star (our Sun) and the motion and position of a moving Earth. Maybe you would like to ignore our star so you can make the other stars important but such is the RA/Dec subculture.

Perhaps you should consider yourself on a spectrum and content to be locked inside a rotating celestial sphere where you are at the centre of your own personal universe -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYy0EQBnqHI

More reasonable people with more expansive perspectives which link the motions of the planet to meteorology recognise only the change in position of the background stars parallel to the orbital plane and from left to right of the stationary Sun -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AEluR-CBu4&t=71s

Spectrum indeed !, you are allowed your identification exercise if that is all you can manage but people of perceptive and intellectual stature can extend beyond that and enjoy the imaging by interpreting what they are seeing.

Keep them snaps and insults coming, anyone would think you were another teacher's pet.

Im not trying to insult you honestly. I'm just saying that most people, can't make heads or tails of what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Im not trying to insult you honestly. I'm just saying that most people, can't make heads or tails of what you're talking about.

Possibly because it's bluff and bluster.

A practical vomit of vocabulary with very little substance. Having read multiple posts it reads like AI language scrapped from other sites of source.

No one actually talks like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Weather has been bad in Galway, only two night (last sat and sun) were good. I assume it's not (naked eye) visible much any more?

Anyone else want to portray themselves as within a spectrum of inanity which restricts the position and motion of the comet to identification alone within a celestial sphere universe ?. Good, then if they can't appreciate the orbital components and structure of the solar system then they have no business dealing with weather and climate on a planetary scale.

Some people can make sense of the appearance of the beehive cluster ( M44 Praesepe) and the change in position from left to right within range of a camera which looks towards the inner solar system and our parent star which inhabits that centre. It expresses motions and positions as they actually exist free of rotation and its rotating celestial sphere of stars as the Earth travels through space and along its orbit.

I am not insulting you, some will get it while others like yourself will not due to being lazy, docile, unquestioning and all the other traits which trap humanity in a celestial sphere monstrosity.

Keep them insults coming, after all, being sycophants for the head teacher of this forum is all that is coming out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oriel is touching on some pretty high-level stuff here which I admit is beyond my capacity to understand. Maybe a separate, dedicated thread would be more apt for this sort of discussion? As this thread was opened just so we could talk about and share observations and pictures of this comet.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Oriel is touching on some pretty high-level stuff here which I admit is beyond my capacity to understand. Maybe a separate, dedicated thread would be more apt for this sort of discussion? As this thread was opened just so we could talk about and share observations and pictures of this comet.

What effin high level stuff ? - you can judge the position and motion of the comet from an orbital perspective where the Sun is central to all motions .

Go ahead and post pictures, it is fine as far as I am concerned but at least some try to make the effort to recognise the orbital motion of the Earth, what references are used and how this filters down into Earth sciences like climate.

Either people don't have the confidence or are too lazy to gauge what is in front of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Either people don't have the confidence or are too lazy to gauge what is in front of them .

Maybe they just don't care?

I came here for comet photos, not the science version of Deepak Chopra.

What effin high level stuff ? - you can judge the position and motion of the comet from an orbital perspective where the Sun is central to all motions .

Why do you find it so hard to believe nobody has a clue what you're talking about? This is a weather forum and you're talking in riddles.

Can you just talk in more simple terms, less paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Honestly, like someone else said, his posts read like an AI trying to pass a Turing Test. An uncanny valley of word vomit. If its a real person its someone on the Spectrum or BP in a manic phase.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Maybe they just don't care?

No doubt people scarred by experimental theorists conjuring 'climate change' into existence would have people care, however, to appreciate what the Earth science of climate is requires the dynamics of the Earth in a Sun centred system.

I am entirely content with the insight provided by a 21st century satellite which demonstrates that Earth travels around the Sun so yes, if people do not care then there is nothing I would do about it. In contrast, those who make the slightest effort can catch the glimpse of a bigger picture where they actually look towards the inner solar system and the relationship of all celestial objects in relation to our central stationary star.

There is a saying among genuine astronomers ( which excludes celestial sphere enthusiasts) -

“You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”
    Galileo

The fact is that some can use 21st century imaging to good effect while others are gladly within a lamentable spectrum of inanity at the centre of their own rotating celestial sphere universe inherited from late 17th century England.

Some get it while others will not, that is the best I can do for contributors to this forum.

Calibos wrote: »
    Honestly, like someone else said, his posts read like an AI trying to pass a Turing Test. An uncanny valley of word vomit. If its a real person its someone on the Spectrum or BP in a manic phase.

Maybe MT will give you a lollipop for being a good pet but then again, you are not as creative as others when it comes to insulting which looks like self-mockery to me.

I don't suffer mathematical bluffers and especially when I have the imaging power of 21st century satellites to back up the perspectives.

Me thinks that much of this is down to some long-standing grudge Oriel holds, for whatever reason, against M.T. True, I don't understand orbital motions all that well (and to be frank, I couldn't care less) but one thing I am astute in is reading people and they're not so obvious motivations.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

MOD NOTE

Please don’t post in this thread again , if you wish to open a thread for your own musings about then do so , stop hijacking other threads

Go ahead and post pictures, it is fine as far as I am concerned but at least some try to make the effort to recognise the orbital motion of the Earth, what references are used and how this filters down into Earth sciences like climate.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Me thinks that much of this is down to some long-standing grudge Oriel holds, for whatever reason, against M.T. True, I don't understand orbital motions all that well (and to be frank, I couldn't care less) but one thing I am astute in is reading people and they're not so obvious motivations.

Me thinks indeed !, dealing with empirical pimps never was the issue - the observations are there for those who can make sense of them by reasoning things through as individuals instead of playing teacher's pet to a bluffer.

MT is no more or less the same dismal mixture of experimental theorist and celestial sphere enthusiast which constitutes the vandalism Newton visited on astronomy which can be recognised by people of a more discerning and expansive nature -

"That the fixed stars being at rest, the periodic times of the five primary planets, and (whether of the sun about the earth, or) of the earth about the sun, are in the sesquiplicate proportion of their mean distances from the sun.... for the periodic times are the same, and the dimensions of the orbits are the same, whether the sun revolves about the earth, or the earth about the sun." Newton

Only a pure gob****e would imagine an equivalency of " whether of the sun about the earth, or of the earth about the sun... for the periodic times are the same, and the dimensions of the orbits are the same, whether the sun revolves about the earth, or the earth about the sun." Newton

The framework of the great heliocentric astronomers was based on the motion of the Sun directly through the constellations equating to the Earth's motion through the same field of background stars -

https://community.dur.ac.uk/john.lucey/users/sun_ecliptic.gif

"Moreover, we see the other five planets also retrograde at times, and
    stationary at either end [of the regression]. And whereas the sun
    always advances along its own direct path, they wander in various
    ways, straying sometimes to the south and sometimes to the north; that
    is why they are called "planets" [wanderers]. Copernicus

I have changed this due to the fact that we now have a satellite tracking with the Earth and free of daily rotation to permit the transition of the stars from left to right of the stationary Sun parallel to the orbital plane due to the orbital motion of the Earth.

The Sun around the Earth was an axiom for daily rotation so no equivalency exists with the Earth around the Sun. The same bluffing of the empirical pimp in this forum is imitating Newton like a hapless monkey wrecking havoc on the noble discipline of astronomy.

MOD NOTE

Please don’t post in this thread again , if you wish to open a thread for your own musings about then do so , stop hijacking other threads

Live with the term 'sycophants' as that is what all the insults amount to.

Maybe Darwin was right -

" "The careless, squalid, unaspiring Irishman multiplies like rabbits: the frugal, foreseeing, self-respecting, ambitious Scot, stern in his morality, spiritual in his faith, sagacious and disciplined in his intelligence, passes his best years in struggle and in celibacy, marries late, and leaves few behind him. Given a land originally peopled by a thousand Saxons and a thousand Celts—and in a dozen generations five-sixths of the population would be Celts, but five-sixths of the property, of the power, of the intellect, would belong to the one-sixth of Saxons that remained. In the eternal 'struggle for existence,' it would be the inferior and less favoured race that had prevailed—and prevailed by virtue not of its good qualities but of its faults." Darwin, Descent of Man (Page 174)

http://darwin-online.org.uk/content/frameset?pageseq=242&itemID=F937.1&viewtype=text

So much for this Irish forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Live with the term sycophants and that is what it amounts to.

And you’re out of here ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Wanted to ask, are we still able to see the comet much ? when does it vanish from naked eye visibility ?

MT is no more or less the same dismal mixture of experimental theorist and celestial sphere enthusiast which constitutes the vandalism Newton visited on astronomy which can be recognised by people of a more discerning and expansive nature -

M.T also has a heart bigger than the sun (of which I can personally attest) and this is of far more value in real terms than these supposed accusations you throw his way here. Who really cares about Newton? I mean, really? Whether the earth spins around the sun, or whether the sun spins around the earth, it doesn't really matter in the great scheme of things.

And by the way.. F//K Darwin and everything that he stood for.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Here's a processed Neowise from last Saturday night, 24 ten-second exposures, Canon 6d, 50mm lens at f/2.5, ISO set at the standard highest dynamic range for a 6d of ISO1600. Unguided on a driven German equatorial mount.

Stacked in DeepSkyStacker and (attempted) gradient removal in PixInsight.

Not the most aesthetically pleasing, but a nice enough view of both tails, the gas/ion tail being ~20 degrees long up near M81/M82. I know I have banding issues with the processing, I'll figure that out again at some point. Consider it a work in progress..

I figured it would be about the only time I'd get to see it in Irish skies at this brightness, such a pretty sight.

Advertisement