Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor dining summer 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

I always thought it was madness to be closing off, or partially closing off, so many streets. Galway is tiny but has so much traffic. Even just having Cross Street closed can be a pain in the *** for getting across town. The left hand lane of the docks traffic can be backed up out Lough Atalia Road on a busy day trying to get across town, adding even more closures would make it more painful. On a normal busy summer day if one car breaks down, or a set of lights are out, everywhere gets jammed very quickly and no one can move.
    Galway is just too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

ingalway wrote: »
    I always thought it was madness to be closing off, or partially closing off, so many streets. Galway is tiny but has so much traffic. Even just having Cross Street closed can be a pain in the *** for getting across town. The left hand lane of the docks traffic can be backed up out Lough Atalia Road on a busy day trying to get across town, adding even more closures would make it more painful. On a normal busy summer day if one car breaks down, or a set of lights are out, everywhere gets jammed very quickly and no one can move.

I guess the counterargument is that if Galway is too small for traffic, why don't we just walk/cycle

Too small to dedicate public space to outdoor dining or too small to channel a high volume of private cars through the city streets every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back to outdoor dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Ugh. Can we leave this stuff for the Traffic thread where it goes round in a never ending "debate"?

Fitz* wrote: »
    Some streets have now been removed from the pedestrianisation plan.

I get the impression that the council just want to shut everything and everywhere. Less work and effort for them.

https://twitter.com/Galwaybayfmnews/status/1400033787824820229?s=19
    Terrible news for the businesses in this part of the city. They've really been let down by the Council. Lots of money spent and staff hired. All for nothing. According to JP McMahon the plan had been okayed by emergency services weeks ago. But if it wasn't then why wasn't it? Seems like it should be one of the first things done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It’s on finnegan on the wireless now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They are installing large concrete barriers in Woodquay and now more problems there as the business that are not involved in the Bar/Restaurant trade say there will be no access to there premises to deliver or pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

[QUOTE

Terrible news for the businesses in this part of the city. They've really been let down by the Council. Lots of money spent and staff hired. All for nothing. According to JP McMahon the plan had been okayed by emergency services weeks ago. But if it wasn't then why wasn't it? Seems like it should be one of the first things done.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it was! There is no issue as far as I am with the road closure from Monroe's heading back to the small crane, as there are plenty of alternative route options around there., and as plenty have posted here and elsewhere, it has been done before without incident.

However, from Monroe's to Bridge St is a key access route for the emergency services to reach say O'Brien's Bridge for river rescues, which is a frequent occurrence unfortunately. Access from the Cross St side is already closed off by pedestrianisation. To say 'just close half the street, loads of room for one way traffic', well just look at how narrow the street is, which side gets closed? All the pubs are on the opposite side to the current parking areas. Do people think that hordes of alcohol fuelled peeps just move aside for a passing vehicle, they don't!

I would think the council knocked the whole area on the head to not be accused by business on one road crying foul if others were given unfair advantage by allowing their side closed. As usual though, Galway City Council played a blinder in making a complete balls of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

I guess the counterargument is that if Galway is too small for traffic, why don't we just walk/cycle
    I would love that to be an option but where I live no public transport, plus I need a car for work, not just getting to and from work. Once you leave the city limits it's difficult without a car.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    They are installing large concrete barriers in Woodquay and now more problems there as the business that are not involved in the Bar/Restaurant trade say there will be no access to there premises to deliver or pick up.

Comboy on the wireless earlier gone lighting cracked over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

As a point of order, at what point is a road closure confirmed / approved? I know a couple of weeks ago, GCC made their intent to close the roads known and this followed with publication of adverts to this effect in local papers. Is there a period wherein people can object prior to formal confirmation? So while the announcement went there, and businesses went off planning for it, it was never fully confirmed until such time that people made objections?

Pen Rua wrote: »
    So while the announcement went there, and businesses went off planning for it, it was never fully confirmed until such time that people made objections?

If businesses waited until now, a few days before opening, they wouldn't have had time to prepare (outdoor furniture, stock, staff etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭xckjoo

ratracer wrote: »
    I don't think it was! There is no issue as far as I am with the road closure from Monroe's heading back to the small crane, as there are plenty of alternative route options around there., and as plenty have posted here and elsewhere, it has been done before without incident.

However, from Monroe's to Bridge St is a key access route for the emergency services to reach say O'Brien's Bridge for river rescues, which is a frequent occurrence unfortunately. Access from the Cross St side is already closed off by pedestrianisation. To say 'just close half the street, loads of room for one way traffic', well just look at how narrow the street is, which side gets closed? All the pubs are on the opposite side to the current parking areas. Do people think that hordes of alcohol fuelled peeps just move aside for a passing vehicle, they don't!

I would think the council knocked the whole area on the head to not be accused by business on one road crying foul if others were given unfair advantage by allowing their side closed. As usual though, Galway City Council played a blinder in making a complete balls of it!
    Ya who knows what happened behind the scenes. We'll only hear the buck passing side of things from the Council and we could debate ad nauseum about what we think should be possible. But IMO, if it is due to a potential issue with access by emergency services, this should have been flagged on Day 1. Who was responsible for checking those kind of things and why was it missed until such a late date?

One of the pubs in Woodquay has taken over some of the road to build a Patio outside surely this would require planning permission fine to put out tables and chairs but build a Patio.

If businesses waited until now, a few days before opening, they wouldn't have had time to prepare (outdoor furniture, stock, staff etc).

In a sense it's a business risk. They ploughed ahead for a plan that may not have been formally signed off on when its intent was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,712 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

One of the pubs in Woodquay has taken over some of the road to build a Patio outside surely this would require planning permission fine to put out tables and chairs but build a Patio.

They'll probably argue that it's a temporary structure. Or apply for retention and remove the patio in six months when it's not granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It's not the business building the concrete patio in what were parking spaces, it's the Council. Council also installing speed bumps on Woodquay road entrances

zell12 wrote: »
    It's not the business building the concrete patio in what were parking spaces, it's the Council. Council also installing speed bumps on Woodquay road entrances

If that was the case they would be constructing them outside all the pubs there they guy I saw this morning was a private company

If that was the case they would be constructing them outside all the pubs there they guy I saw this morning was a private company

I noticed the council doing similar outside a couple of businesses in Salthill during the week also.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Ya who knows what happened behind the scenes. We'll only hear the buck passing side of things from the Council and we could debate ad nauseum about what we think should be possible. But IMO, if it is due to a potential issue with access by emergency services, this should have been flagged on Day 1. Who was responsible for checking those kind of things and why was it missed until such a late date?

It possibly was flagged. I wonder did the councillors jump the gun pushing all the info out when it was only at a plan stage? and now they can't backtrack on it seeing the backlash to it being withdrawn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

William St W and Small Crane closures are going ahead as planned now

https://twitter.com/GalwayCityCo/status/1400442845757071366

How are blind people supposed to get around these picnic tables and chairs put out on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Why must people try to be mysterious when posting. I assume you're on about McGinns, they had a structure built outside last year for their outdoor seating too, what's the issue. Govt and councils are supposed to be encouraging and assisting businesses in this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

How are blind people supposed to get around these picnic tables and chairs put out on the footpath.

Same way they get around other obstacles? Or the same way they around the existing tables and chairs outside of establishments. Why must
    people try to find issues with everything, miserable outlook.

William St W and Small Crane closures are going ahead as planned now

https://twitter.com/GalwayCityCo/status/1400442845757071366

While I was defending GCC only posts ago, the way they handled this was awful. Announce, roll back, reannounce. Of course, they could have been trying to solve it in the background pre-roll back, but it is still quite messy.

Nonetheless, good its been resolved in a positive manner for all involved.

A fair question, it has to be said. Though one would assume that the tables etc would be on the road (hence the closure) as opposed to the path. At least, that was the arrangement for Princess St in Cork when they closed that road for outdoor dining last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

The tables will not be on the foot path. i'd have more of an issue with transportation modes (bikes, cars, vans & lorries) using the foot path. this style of dinning is very popular on the continent .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I don't understand why the Council simply did not remove most parking spaces in Woodquay and facilitate tables/chairs/surround barriers. It'd be more cost-effective
    Maybe the concrete pouring is an indication it is a permanent move. It would also attract more cafes/restaurants/flea market

• Registered Users Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Blind people manage to get around the cars parked all over every footpath in the country, but no one gives a flying f*ck about blind people or the disabled when it comes to that, for some reason.

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    I don't understand why the Council simply did not remove most parking spaces in Woodquay and facilitate tables/chairs/surround barriers. It'd be more cost-effective
    Maybe the concrete pouring is an indication it is a permanent move. It would also attract more cafes/restaurants/flea market

Because as soon as they go near parking, you'd likely have the retailers up in arms about it.

Advertisement