Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Outdoor dining summer 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Same way they get around other obstacles? Or the same way they around the existing tables and chairs outside of establishments. Why must
    people try to find issues with everything, miserable outlook.

The addition of loads of new obstacles on footpaths will definitely be a concern for blind people.there’s blind people who know every step and kerb in their local vicinity from years of navigating them.of course the new outdoor dining areas and pedestrian zones will affect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Pen Rua wrote: »
    While I was defending GCC only posts ago, the way they handled this was awful. Announce, roll back, reannounce. Of course, they could have been trying to solve it in the background pre-roll back, but it is still quite messy.

Nonetheless, good its been resolved in a positive manner for all involved.

Not everyone unfortunately. I think the likes of Oscars will still be effected. Hopefully they get some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

xckjoo wrote: »
    Not everyone unfortunately. I think the likes of Oscars will still be effected. Hopefully they get some help.

Ah. I had assumed Dominick St was back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Because as soon as they go near parking, you'd likely have the retailers up in arms about it.

The concrete plinths have been poured on previous parking spaces.

They can't take all the parking out because there still need to be spaces for delivery vehicles to pull in.

Any photos of the preparations?

• Advertisement

Blind people manage to get around the cars parked all over every footpath in the country, but no one gives a flying f*ck about blind people or the disabled when it comes to that, for some reason.

It's like when all the guys in their 30s with kite surfing profile photos got really concerned about elderly and disabled access to Silverstrand when it was temporarily closed to cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Woodquay: The orange flexibollards in the median have been removed and replaced with plastic barriers and large Council plantboxes. Further there large concrete roadblocks placed in the median too. The Goalpost pub has wooden decking in the ex-car spaces
    Saw the Council workers going around with measuring tapes etc earlier

RTE were filming a news piece in Woodquay earlier

Really looking forward to the summer of outdoor dining... please please please city council don't make an absolute balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,122 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

zell12 wrote: »
    RTE were filming a news piece in Woodquay earlier

Just saw a Woodquay resident speaking of their objections to the pedestrianisation plans. The usual 'urination in the streets' line was spoken of. And while I do think that that line gets used far too often, there is a big case for the need for more public toilets.

I would hope that there are public toilets in place before the weekend in all areas where food / drink are being served. Then again, this council has a history of being reactive, not proactive and for them it's a lot easier to just shut everything again rather than organise a toilet & bin.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Woodquay: The orange flexibollards in the median have been removed and replaced with plastic barriers and large Council plantboxes. Further there large concrete roadblocks placed in the median too. The Goalpost pub has wooden decking in the ex-car spaces

From Bollard town to large Concrete boulders.
    The look used by the Council for Woodquay area does not look good.
    Get the feeling that sometimes they do certain things to just tick a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Residents aside, hopefully parking is permentally removed from that area of woodquay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

From Bollard town to large Concrete boulders.
    The look used by the Council for Woodquay area does not look good.
    Get the feeling that sometimes they do certain things to just tick a box.

You never have anything positive to say about the council

Does anybody? :pac:
    Compared to Dublin, Cork, Limerick Councils, Galway is generally failing the hospitality sector. We could've had parklets, loos, facilities for seating etc, installed months ago. We are a massive tourist destination domestically and it is our chance to shine

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

In fairness the piece on RTE news last night about outdoor dining made a show of Galway Council. Cork had fab outdoor area with rain protection and heating then we see Woodquay in Galway full of concrete blocks no covered areas no heating no colour. Terrible.

Same attitude with cycling in Galway City. The council won't trial anything, no facilities. They are extremely poor and the like of Cork are showing the GCC up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

In fairness the piece on RTE news last night about outdoor dining made a show of Galway Council. Cork had fab outdoor area with rain protection and heating then we see Woodquay in Galway full of concrete blocks no covered areas no heating no colour. Terrible.

Same attitude with cycling in Galway City. The council won't trial anything, no facilities. They are extremely poor and the like of Cork are showing the GCC up.

The areas in cork that have done this to were pretty much pedestrianised anyway . If you are suggesting the council cut off Dominick Street to traffic for good then you need your nuts. The delays in building the relief road to take traffic off these roads is where your anger and distain should be directed towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In fairness the piece on RTE news last night about outdoor dining made a show of Galway Council. Cork had fab outdoor area with rain protection and heating then we see Woodquay in Galway full of concrete blocks no covered areas no heating no colour.

You do understand the climate difference between Galway and Cork, right?

Some countries have now banned outdoor heating totally, it's really an environmental disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Some countries have now banned outdoor heating totally, it's really an environmental disaster.

There's fcuk all difference, as family from Cork pointed out when visiting here last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

There's fcuk all difference, as family from Cork pointed out when visiting here last week.
    I was brought up in Cork before moving to Galway for work, so I've spent a lot of time in both cities. There really is very little difference. Actually, the long-term records (since 1860) say Galway is slightly warmer and drier*, albeit with more days of rain. But when it rains in Cork, it can really rain, as I found out a great many times to my cost.

I have no time for outdoor heating though, as it is quite literally a waste of energy. It's on my naughty list, along with the likes of leaf blowers.

*The Cork readings are taken at the airport, which at 150m elevation would be slightly cooler than in the city centre. But a lot of the city and suburbs are well above sea level.

• Advertisement

The areas in cork that have done this to were pretty much pedestrianised anyway . If you are suggesting the council cut off Dominick Street to traffic for good then you need your nuts. The delays in building the relief road to take traffic off these roads is where your anger and distain should be directed towards.

I never mentioned Dominick St. Just saying I think the outdoor dining areas could have been much better. There are ugly looking in the heart of the city.

I think we'll be a long time waiting for this by pass. Some improvements to cycling lanes would help give people an alternative to cars.

I think the rain cover is more important than the heating.

Climate difference between Galway Vs Cork ?? Lost me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

I wonder will these streets that are now pedestrianised eventually become gated streets, and be cut off from the public altogether?

Why would that happen?

I wonder will these streets that are now pedestrianised eventually become gated streets, and be cut off from the public altogether?

Steel gate installed at the Dew Drop/Superman's. Assume it's just for summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Why would that happen?

Would the shop owners and publicans plead antisocial activity while premises closed, and gates the only solution? Just wondering if this could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Would the shop owners and publicans plead antisocial activity while premises closed, and gates the only solution? Just wondering if this could happen.

No, it really couldn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭thesandeman

William St W and Small Crane closures are going ahead as planned now

https://twitter.com/GalwayCityCo/status/1400442845757071366

Since when did Neachtains move back the West?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,122 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

€100,000 was allocated to Galway City to facilitate outdoor dining. I wonder if we'll see a breakdown of where this went to, as a few bins can't rack up that much of a bill.

• Advertisement

Woodquay closed to traffic outbound (from Eyre St) and turned into the one moving lane inbound with speed bumps, and St Anthonys Place has the plastic bollards
    Pubs have put out seating and canopies. The brutalist concrete barriers take away from the ambience

Advertisement