Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boil water notice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭blackcard

Boil water notice reissued for 600,000 again.
    I've been drinking the **** all day :(

I wouldn't worry, I think this one is more precautionary. They brought an old plant back into production as reservoir levels had dropped following the recent incident. Turbidity levels increased after the recent rains. I would think that the boil water notice will be lifted within a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Hard times

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Same here :(

I normally drink mostly sparkling water but I ran out. Just back from my local Lidl and not a single bottle of still water in the shop.

Reminds me of my local centra during the beast from the east last year. Mmmmmh, what will we have for dinner tonight, garlic or chocolat? :D

494451.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

Anyone know what the story is with Barista Coffee during a boil water notice some shops seem to serve and some dont seems very hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

unkel wrote: »
    Same here :(

I normally drink mostly sparkling water but I ran out. Just back from my local Lidl and not a single bottle of still water in the shop.

Reminds me of my local centra during the beast from the east last year. Mmmmmh, what will we have for dinner tonight, garlic or chocolat? :D

494451.jpg

The problem was people couldn't reach the Milk Tray in the frenzy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Feck all left on the shelves in Tesco Lucan this evening, limit of 4 bottles per customer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

**** literally it seems, apparently tubridity is a euphemism for **** these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Here's an interesting bit from the IT:
    "Senior officials admitted yesterday there is an “elevated risk” of cryptosporidium entering the water supply served by the Leixlip plant and that this will remain the case until the second quarter of next year when scheduled upgrade works are due to finish.

There was another surprising development that we can expect to hear more about today, and it revolves around how vulnerable or cash-strapped households can get access to bottled water.

After questioning from Fine Gael TD Noel Rock, Irish Water conceded anyone can ring up and inform the utility they believe themselves to be vulnerable to get access to bottled water.

“We don’t investigate that. The take-up is few and far between,” said Michael O’Leary of Irish Water."

Barista Coffee shops still serving coffee within the Boil Water area how does this tally with Irish Waters Statement

"All water intended for human consumption should be boiled at a rolling boil for at least one minute and cooled before it is used to make hot drinks."

Barista Machines do not boil the water

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

xl500 wrote: »
    Barista Coffee shops still serving coffee within the Boil Water area how does this tally with Irish Waters Statement

"All water intended for human consumption should be boiled at a rolling boil for at least one minute and cooled before it is used to make hot drinks."

Some are using bottle water. Just ask before u order in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Haven't heard of anyone getting a dose of the trotts or anything, or hospitals being out the door because of the water, have you?

This boil water notice is brought to you compliments of Paul Murphy, Rise, PBP, etc.
    Get used to it because our water infrastructure needs millions spent on it and don't let anybody tell you water charges were abolished, they were just pushed on to the middle income earners like everything else.
    Political opportunism at its worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Reading the last Journal article on this it says:
    Gleeson said that the old plant “managed to cope” with the heavy rain later night and that it is “performing quite well”.

“Right now, the plant is delivering the water to the quality that we need but the EPA and the HSE will need to see if we can consistently deliver that quality,” Gleeson said.

Doesn't that mean that they're saying the water is fine but they're just waiting for the EPA and HSE to verify it or am I going mad? Got a glass of water from the tap and looks completely normal, no discolouration or cloudiness which was apparently the problem (turbidity).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Reading the last Journal article on this it says:

Doesn't that mean that they're saying the water is fine but they're just waiting for the EPA and HSE to verify it or am I going mad? Got a glass of water from the tap and looks completely normal, no discolouration or cloudiness which was apparently the problem (turbidity).

Water could be perfect at the plant BUT it takes a few days to flush out or use the not so clean water from the pipes under the city. They have to take clean samples from all over Dublin before boil notice is lifted

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Water could be perfect at the plant BUT it takes a few days to flush out or use the not so clean water from the pipes under the city. They have to take clean samples from all over Dublin before boil notice is lifted

Also you need to ensure you flush out the tank up in the attic, in case you use the sink water for brushing teeth

Was doing some research into this and the Barista can serve coffee.

So they can serve americanos and hot choc but not latte or mochas

Was doing some research into this and the Barista can serve coffee.

So they can serve americanos and hot choc but not latte or mochas

Thanks for that but how does it comply with Irish Water advise to boil water at a rolling boil for at least 1 min

Thanks for that but how does it comply with Irish Water advise to boil water at a rolling boil for at least 1 min

Most kettles wont be able to boil water for a minute without you holding in on with your hand. In other words the advise is overkill.

Most kettles wont be able to boil water for a minute without you holding in on with your hand. In other words the advise is overkill.

can be boiled in a pot also where i work we have a burco which boils all the time

I am not qualified to decide if advise is overkill I rely on these agencies to issue proper advise

can be boiled in a pot also where i work we have a burco which boils all the time

I am not qualified to decide if advise is overkill I rely on these agencies to issue proper advise

When cooking any food, all it has to do is reach 75C to kill all bacteria. Water boils at slightly below 100C where I am at sea level. If you are high up on a mountain you might get it to boil at 90C. Heating water to hit anything over 75C kills all bacteria. They tell you to boil the water to ensure that it exceeds 75C. Boiling water for 1 second has the exact same effect on bacteria as boiling it for 60 seconds. It's overkill.

Absolutely nothing wrong with overkill. It's always better to err on the side of caution

• Advertisement

Technically then you shouldn't use your dishwasher!!

Technically then you shouldn't use your dishwasher!!

Their advice is to put dishwasher on a 95C cycle. This is below boiling point so obviously there is no need to boil at all. Advise is inconsistent but I understand them being over cautious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Their advice is to put dishwasher on a 95C cycle. This is below boiling point so obviously there is no need to boil at all. Advise is inconsistent but I understand them being over cautious

It's not really. The average temperature in your kettle wouldn't be 100C when it's "boiling". There is a steam controlled switch which turns off the kettle long before it reaches 100C (I'd guess at around 90). It's a safety feature for a wide variety of reasons. Dishwashers operating at 95C are probably as hot if not hotter than your kettle. Albeit, I don't know anyone with one that operates at such high a temperature (again, safety).

Water will boil at 100 degrees, but only if it is pure water.....ya I know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Water will boil at 100 degrees, but only if it is pure water.....ya I know

Well the point was entirely lost on you. It's nothing to do with impurity of tap water but the engineering design of kettles.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Well the point was entirely lost on you. It's nothing to do with impurity of tap water but the engineering design of kettles.

Turn on your sarcasm meter and read again... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

bren2001 wrote: »
    It's not really. The average temperature in your kettle wouldn't be 100C when it's "boiling". There is a steam controlled switch which turns off the kettle long before it reaches 100C (I'd guess at around 90). It's a safety feature for a wide variety of reasons. Dishwashers operating at 95C are probably as hot if not hotter than your kettle. Albeit, I don't know anyone with one that operates at such high a temperature (again, safety).

In a discussion somewhere else most seem to be at around 70~75. Even those with a sanitize cycle.

Also many do a rinse cycle at the end, which is at a much lower temperature etc. So even if your dishwasher had cleaned them at a higher temp, it will rinse them with cooler water. So they become contaminated again.

What happens with swimming pools?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

beauf wrote: »
    What happens with swimming pools?

They chlorinate the water.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    They chlorinate the water.

Found this...
    rish Water said it did not tell pools to close but to consult the HSE if they had concerns. The HSE said it did not issue specific advice to pools to close but it has advised that cryptosporidium can survive the normal chlorine levels in drinking water.

While swimming pools have a higher level of chlorine, some pool operators decided to close as a precaution.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/treatment-plant-at-centre-of-crippling-boil-water-notice-had-previous-scare-38629534.html

Advertisement