Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

Bought six good middle of the road Friesians yesterday 400kgs 600 euro. They will do well next August/September. All March on the cards so they can go to September. If grading hold as well next year like this year they will turn a bob. Also bought two 370kgs for 590 but were May born so can go to next November. I expect them to more than double there money on average.

Problem with heavy AA or HE stores is there is a limit to there top value at 370kgs as well you have to finish by 30 months. The HE to average that would need to kill 360kgs on average and hit 4.15/kg inc bonuses. I expect my friesiand to average it at present base prices. The HE would want a base of 3.85/kg to do that.

Those fr were great value. You did well there and won't lose on them. Private or mart?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

kk.man wrote: »
    Those fr were great value. You did well there and won't lose on them. Private or mart?

Mart add a tenner for fees and I bought them home myself in a couple of runs with my Rav and an 8X5 box

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Personally i think those Fr's are too light at this stage of the year - i would think they should be 50kg heavier to get a decent kill on them next year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

sold 6 good square lengthy red hex heifers ex br fr cows, mar/apr '19 430kgs €900

1 of the drovers at the mart approached me & asked were they all suitable for breeding as he had an online customer if so

I assured him they were all maidens.

no interest in those last spring only 1 guy who offered 600. ex shed. were on rough grazing since

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Bought 10 HEx Jan/Feb/March 19 last week on DD.
    Hard to know exact weights but I would guess averaging about 440/450kg at €890.
    Always worry I gave too much after leaving but when they arrived I'm happy. Nice shapely cattle that should do well come next July.

And in fairness to your man gave me €50 luck penny and another €50 towards the haulage.

• Advertisement

Panch18 wrote: »
    Personally i think those Fr's are too light at this stage of the year - i would think they should be 50kg heavier to get a decent kill on them next year

Not really. Just watching Friesians at present 330 kgs can be got sub 500 euro, 360/370 for 550 and 400 kgs for about 600 euro. The 370 one's I bought were particularly square and I was filling second load in the box.

When you got above them weights prices jump, I saw 435kgs make 700 euro today and in general 450 ones always make over 700 euro and you will pay 800 for 500kg+.

350-400 kgs Friesian's are better value in that case. Way cheaper to carry over the winter, usually they have a bit more compensatory growth than the heavier ones. While the heavier ones may gross more it hard to close that 100 euro gap.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    And in fairness to your man €50 luck penny and another €50 towards the haulage.

You have them at less than € 2 a kilo .
    Not much in them for the man who brought them this far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Seen a nice fr trio in gortatlea tonight 400kg about €520. July 19 born. Badly not, not badly bred. Looked chancey.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Seen a nice fr trio in gortatlea tonight 400kg about €520. July 19 born. Badly not, not badly bred. Looked chancey.

Bulls

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

kk.man wrote: »

Journal price tracker showing fr 500kg e810

• Advertisement

Bulls

Steers

Steers

Sorry they wer badly done I meant.

Steers

Buying in Kerry is a different game. I should not be educating people. I have followed them for another bit. Gortnalea cattle can be quite empty. Now usually it Friday I follow it. July 19 born and 400 kgs would not be light IMHO.

AFAIK Wednesday is a weanling/ runner mart unusual to see bullocks there. That would effect there prices. Not too many bullock men would be online to bid on them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭DBK1

A 220kg shorthorn heifer made €880 about an hour ago. She was nothing spectacular either. Hard to make sense out of that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

DBK1 wrote: »
    A 220kg shorthorn heifer made €880 about an hour ago. She was nothing spectacular either. Hard to make sense out of that.

Two interested parties and I'm assuming she was a nice roan colour? A solid red or all white Shorthorn doesn't usually sell as well as a roan one of the same quality. It's the time of year where lad's have money gathered up from the sale of a few weanlings and the first of the subs are paid out. They like to reinvest in something after the year's work and that sort of a purchase would be within most lad's abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭DBK1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

What’s the best value out there at the moment? Nice few reared calves on DD at handy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Two interested parties and I'm assuming she was a nice roan colour? A solid red or all white Shorthorn doesn't usually sell as well as a roan one of the same quality. It's the time of year where lad's have money gathered up from the sale of a few weanlings and the first of the subs are paid out. They like to reinvest in something after the year's work and that sort of a purchase would be within most lad's abilities.

There is a niche market for these roan heifers , a lot of men like them to cross with a charolais , they are milky and throw a nice colour of calf .

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Brother reared a few angus and hereford heifer calves this year, just wondering what sort of money they'd be worth now? Feb born, probably 220kgs, no bellies on them like alot of calves would have. Would they be worth €2/kg? Wouldn't have a clue of them sort of cattle and haven't seen anything similar in the marts lately to compare them too. Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

no bellies on them like alot of calves would have.

Basic question but are those bellies you’d see on AA and HE calves caused by fellas giving them more meal than their frame can handle?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Basic question but are those bellies you’d see on AA and HE calves caused by fellas giving them more meal than their frame can handle?

No it's a sign of undernourishment. It's like those African children on the Trocaire box of old.
    No matter the breed of bovine the big belly is accompanied by a skinny back.
    It's a sign of worms taking all the nutrients and doing damage or just the animal is not being fed enough. If calves go like that they usually don't have much of a future on the farm in adulthood.

Sold a few odd balls during the week

He bull 4 weeks old off a cow €290
    Bb bucket reared 4 weeks old 260
    Fr h 4 weeks old bucket reared 175
    One he f off a cow 3 months 400
    Aa heifer 3 months off a cow 460

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Had a look at the clip of that SH heifer selling....she is a good square beef type shorthorn,so not surprised she made that kind of money.If crossed with a good CH or LM bull in time to come she will produce a good wide cow that will have plenty of milk,the roan colouring will help her to have a nice coloured calf herself.
    A lot of CH or LM cows lack in milk so this is a route for the buyer of the heifer to improve his stock at home.

Had a look at the clip of that SH heifer selling....she is a good square beef type shorthorn,so not surprised she made that kind of money.If crossed with a good CH or LM bull in time to come she will produce a good wide cow that will have plenty of milk,the roan colouring will help her to have a nice coloured calf herself.
    A lot of CH or LM cows lack in milk so this is a route for the buyer of the heifer to improve his stock at home.

There was a picture of her with her mother on DD during the week. Mother was a good orange lm cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

There's some demand for shorthorn heifers, they go for crazy prices, if milk is an issue, surely a sim x would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Anyone know if the martbids app can be used on Samsung or Huawei phones? is it just designed for use on iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

RD10 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the martbids app can be used on Samsung or Huawei phones? is it just designed for use on iPhone?

I downloaded MartBids onto my iPhone but can’t see any video of the ring.
    Is the live video supposed to be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

I can use it on Samsung. Can't bid in local mart it says permission denied

I've a Huawei and Ive it download on it.

• Advertisement

Nice even bunch of fr today. Spring 19 450kg €590 in macroom.

I'm laid up at the moment so watching a good few sales, saw balla for the first time today.... Man o man what a sale of colour cows. Bax & bb cows literally never see the like down here.

Advertisement