Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Goodshape wrote: »
    Not within the first two seasons though.

Strongly disagree there. Pound for pound (so first two seasons), Discovery isn't even in the same sentence as DS9 when it comes to character development. Arguably Burnham maybe, but that's because it's the Michael Burnham show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

Goodshape wrote: »
    I don't even mind Burnham being the centre of the show. Just not, constantly, the centre of the universe.

The original premise of "this show won't be focused on the Captain" got me excited for a lower-decks sort of approach. Instead it's disposable Captains and everyone and everything revolves around this... whatever rank she is now.

Pity.

I like how you put it. I have felt that a Trek show focused on one protagonist isn't a terrible idea on it's own and has a tonne of potential. A show where we follow a Michael Burnham trying to redeem herself after causing a terrible war while learning how to relate to people again, would have been an excellent show. I remember thinking that this would be the premise of the show back in Season 1. That'd we'd get Lorca as "The War Captain" being extra hard on Michael, making her journey that much harder. But she would slowly earn his trust, and re-learn life in Starfleet.

She didn't need to be "Super Michael: The Red Angel" for that all to work. She just needed to be a Starfleet officer who was our eyes and ears into the Trek universe and the story.

But for some reason they just couldn't do that. They had to make her Spock's sister, they had to make her the ship's expert in 5 different sciences, they just had to give her a role that somehow ended up being somewhere floating between First Officer and Captain. Then they made her Time-travelling Space Iron Man....because story.

They didn't need to do any of that, it would have been brilliant to follow a regular Ensign / Lieutenant while they dealt with the day to day challenges of Trek life. Lower Decks but expended upon.

As you say, a pity. A frustratingly annoying pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

My main problem is that she's unlikable. I was hoping to see more of Saru, but nope, every scene has to have Burnham in it.

I don't like her character at all, but since it's all about her I can't watch the show.

I don't like Wesley, but I can still watch TNG. I don't like Kira in early DS9 but I can still watch it, I don't like Neelix in Voyager but I can still watch it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

She suffers from Main Character Syndrome, where everything must not only involve her, but an offshoot of this in which character is impossibly earnest. The straight person in the comedy act. Everyone else is allowed a personality and a wry sense of humour (Saru, Stamets, Tilly to a degree), but with Burnham it's all drama, all tearful EMOTION, all the time. It probably wouldn't be so bad if she could lighten the F up, but to the pile can be added the decision to make her Vulcan. Good idea in theory but the execution has made her insufferably serious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

IvySlayer wrote: »
    My main problem is that she's unlikable.

This ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Stark wrote: »
    I loved DS9 but those first two seasons were complete muck. Only got decent round about the time the Maquis were introduced in season two./QUOTE]

I think Season 2 is one of DS9's strongest series. It's when the characters all start meshing, plot points and arcs that would continue for the entire series would happen or are expanded on.

You can see them stretching what they can do with the first three episodes and Necessary Evil is such a great episode that makes brilliant use of the stations and characters past.

By the end of Season 2 you end up with this run of great episodes.

Blood Oath - Dax and Klingons
    The Maquis, Part I - Strong two part ep and great Sisko/Dukat stuff
    The Maquis, Part II
    The Wire - Garak is truly established
    Crossover - Still the best mirror episode DS9 did
    The Collaborator - Not the strongest but establishes Winn as Kai
    Tribunal - Nice 1984 ep and good Meaney outing
    The Jem'Hadar - Sets up the direction for the series.

pixelburp wrote: »
    She suffers from Main Character Syndrome, where everything must not only involve her, but an offshoot of this in which character is impossibly earnest. The straight person in the comedy act. Everyone else is allowed a personality and a wry sense of humour (Saru, Stamets, Tilly to a degree), but with Burnham it's all drama, all tearful EMOTION, all the time. It probably wouldn't be so bad if she could lighten the F up, but to the pile can be added the decision to make her Vulcan. Good idea in theory but the execution has made her insufferably serious.

Out of fairness I've been waiting until I see Martin-Green in other series, before rating her as an actress. (I think she was a lawyer in "The Good Wife", and some other things). Mostly because the general state of Michael Burnham might be blamed on the Directors and Production.

But if you ignore potentially blaming the Production staff, Micheal's woes are due to Martin-Green being a bad actress. Based on Discovery alone (which is why it's unfair to judge without seeing her in other works) she appears to have very little emotional range or convincing screen presence. I would dare say that she's mono-emotional on screen, with this constant state of "shock" on her face. Most lines lines appeared to have been delivered in this kind of shock-mode inter-spliced with "Kinda upset" and "Occasional mini-smile".

She's not the worst Trek-character even conceived, nor the worst actress to fill a role in Trek. But she really is below average, and as the main focus of the show, her inadequacies are regularly on display which drags the whole show down with her.

As for Main Character Syndrome.
    I know some might not like the term "Mary Stu" to be bandied about, but it is surprising how similar Michael is to the Lt. Mary Stu of Star Trek fanfiction legend who lent her name to that phrase.

Lt. Stu and Lt. Burnham share some of the following:

-TOS era crew-member
    -Highly intelligent, and an expert on most aspects of the ship
    -Universally loved my all members of the crew (for Burnham, this starts late S1)
    -Got on very well with Spock in the end (Burnham adding to this by being his adoptive sister and the "key to his humanity".....if you ignore Spock's human mom)
    -Selflessly sacrifices herself for her crew. (Burnham tries this, but the story saves her)

Apart from that the main differences were that Lt. Mary Stu was on the Enterprise and as 16 years old (!), other than that a very similar character. Michael Burnham nearly fits the mold as a successor to that character.

She was terrible in The Walking Dead IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

She was a good actress in "The Walking dead" as far as I recall. I remember when she was originally announced, there was some excitement at having her in the role based on her performance in that show.

She was a good actress in "The Walking dead" as far as I recall. I remember when she was originally announced, there was some excitement at having her in the role based on her performance in that show.

Never warmed to her in that but my remembering of the character Vs Actress may be coloured by the GOD AWFUL way they had her go off the rails, with respect to Negan, and the cheesy as hell character death
    But I do remember thinking "Really?" when she was cast first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think when she's asked to show some range Martin-Gree has done fine TBH, the problem is that her character is stymied with that awful expository dialogue, shouldering the big dramatic moments required by The Dramatic Plot, as well as having to vocalise the themes (such as that terrible season 1 finale where she stood in front of a tribunal, lecturing everyone about the Federation).

But the core problem IMO, and hear me out, is that fundamentally Vulcans are a terrible race for characterisation, and an even worse choice as a lead. On paper this idea of a "vulcan" rediscovering her humanity is a fascinating idea, but all that guff with the Season 1 production & mutiny arc got in the way of that. In any case, Vulcans by and large are po-faced racists who more often than not, merely come off as condescending by their nature - when not simply emotionally dead. Not lead character material, and it's the same reason why Jedis are so boring as leads in that other Scifi franchise of note: deadpan monks don't make for good protagonists. They should be the opposite: the manifestation of procedure, logic and "the man" that our heroes may need to fight. DS9 knew this when their ostensible comedy baseball episode made a Vulcan the chief antagonist.

Vulcans worked once - Spock of course - and ever since every vaguely successful representation has just been a warmed-up variant of him. I guarantee the birthing of Michael consisted of a couple of writers going "hey, what if half-Vulcan, but reverse!?", slapped themselves on the back and went for lunch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Slight derailment but I watched Khan, Search for Spock and Voyage home the other night after my formed telling me they work as a trilogy and are the best ones.
    They’re great fun and charming but they’re all kinds of naff as well. Riddled with in universe inconsistencies.

On balance I think Star Trek tv is better than the cinematic version of Star Trek. Don’t shoot me.

Slight derailment but I watched Khan, Search for Spock and Voyage home the other night after my formed telling me they work as a trilogy and are the best ones.
    They’re great fun and charming but they’re all kinds of naff as well. Riddled with in universe inconsistencies.

On balance I think Star Trek tv is better than the cinematic version of Star Trek. Don’t shoot me.

Oh we won’t shoot you. However a beem setting at Level 10 should be just as effective :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Well I'd take any bad episode of Voyager, TNG or DS9 over Into Darkness or Discovery. Into Darkness made me genuinely angry. I burst out laughing in the cinema at the Kirk Death scene and Spocks shouting and roaring.

The Undiscovered Country and First Contact are 2 fantastic Trek movies. Just 2 fantastic movies full stop..

Star Trek is a TV format, it has never worked in the big screen really

The best Trek Movies can be basically boiled down to: getting old can suck, and coming to terms to being past your prime. But that having your friends or family beside you makes the journey worth it.

In our era of ceaselessly wallowing in nostalgia, peppered with belated sequels dragging back haggard versions of cherished stars, I think Trek II, III, and VI all show how to adapt a loved property, but acknowledge the passage of time and how it changes people.

Then again one of my favourite shows of the year is a TV sequel to the Dark Crystal, so what do I know about wallowing?

Undiscovered country is fantastic. It’s on my rewatch list.

First contact though. Stewart’s performance aside, is just awful.
    Is it always going to be the borg? Star Trek was trucking along fine then and now the borg seem to be the fallback. Meaning Picard series. Little tired of them at this point.

But the core problem IMO, and hear me out, is that fundamentally Vulcans are a terrible race for characterisation

I wouldn't say that's the core problem. Nimoy portrayed a half human half vulcan with measurable amounts of charisma, presence, and style. He done all that in three tv seasons, and six movies. He was able to command viewers attention with his work, and bring a true sense of belief to Spock, as a character.

I'm not saying Green is a bad actress, not at all, I don't think she's actually the problem. For me the core problem, and indeed the overall fault and responsibility for this whole mess, lies with the writing team(s), and ultimately, the showrunners. They are responsible for turning an intriguing, mysterious, and fresh feeling Star Trek show, into the muddled, bogged down uninteresting mess it has become - not Burnham, not the Vulcans, but the real life people at the coal face of Discovery.

As someone touched on above, it's biggest crime is the sense of disappointment it has given many of us. Many of us were excited, and very eager to see what Trek would be like in the current tv climate...but none of us were prepared for the off camera problems that have really bogged the show down immensely, as we prepare for a third season, and sure enough, a third reboot of what Discovery actually is (of which I still can't say).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Inviere wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that's the core problem. Nimoy portrayed a half human half vulcan with measurable amounts of charisma, presence, and style. He done all that in three tv seasons, and six movies. He was able to command viewers attention with his work, and bring a true sense of belief to Spock, as a character.

On the other hand, I found Tuvok on Voyager very hard to tolerate, ditto for T'pol on Enterprise.

Sarek was a great character, but he was portrayed as far more emotional than is typical for a Vulcan in many of his incarnations.

The TV Series, even voyager and enterprise are better than the movies.

TV shows win every time.

As for the movies, the abrams kelvin rubbish are the worst of the worst.

• Advertisement

On the other hand, I found Tuvok on Voyager very hard to tolerate, ditto for T'pol on Enterprise.

Tuvok I enjoyed, not a lot of character development for him really, but I thought Tim Russ did a good job based on the tools available. T'Pol took a while to warm to, Blalock took time to properly find the presence/confidence needed to properly pull off a Vulcan character, but by the time she did, T'Pol had enough development to make her ok as a character.

Neither were burdened with the weight of an entire show on their backs though, unlike Burnham. I think Green does damn fine, considering. Pixelburp has a point in what they say though, pulling off a Vulcan anchor character, isn't going to be an easy task - it can be done, but it needs a damned fine actor/actress, with a damn fine writing team. Discovery definitely, definitely doesn't have the latter anyway.

The thing is, Burnham isn't even Vulcan, she's human. Yes, raised by Vulcans, but that doesn't make her Vulcan, any more than it makes Worf a Human in being raised by them.
    Sarek was a great character, but he was portrayed as far more emotional than is typical for a Vulcan in many of his incarnations.

Another good example of a Vulcan played correctly. The best Vulcans are the ones with emotion bubbling just enough beneath the surface that you can't see it with your eyes, but you damned well know its there. Unfortunately, even as far back as Enterprise, writers threw this concept out the window are wrote Vulcans as cold emotionless psuedo-androids. They make for some poor viewing.

The TV Series, even voyager and enterprise are better than the movies.

TV shows win every time.

As for the movies, the abrams kelvin rubbish are the worst of the worst.

Can’t agree. Abrams reboot was exactly what Star Trek needed to stay alive. I love what he did with it. And casting especially.

Can’t agree. Abrams reboot was exactly what Star Trek needed to stay alive. I love what he did with it. And casting especially.

I am glad you enjoyed them

I didn't, to me besides the fact he made a mockery of a lot of things in canon, almost blinded me with lens flares, and focused more on explosions and action rather than content and script I thought they were a disgrace.

People slate voyager, and enterprise, but would watch a single episode of either show, even the worst episodes before i put that abrams sh1t on ever again

Given where western pop culture exists right now, I don't believe the Abrams reboot was "needed" to keep Trek alive. It's a strong and popular enough IP that could have been relaunched successfully in any manner of forms; in another universe Amazon or Netflix acquired the rights (though of course those rights are / were famously fragmented) and relaunched the show in a more thematically consistent fashion.

Instead, the franchise grasping executives at Paramount tried to wedge the IP into a tentpole event blockbuster; the goodwill for that lasting precisely 1 movie. Superficial, brattish entertainment, but Into Darkness showed it was nothing but hollow calories, feeding on nostalgia. Tonally, ...Beyond righted the ship but was too little, too late.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So it's claimed that Star Trek 4 is back on, though coming from Noah Hawley (Legion).

https://deadline.com/2019/11/star-trek-noah-hawley-directing-writing-sequel-jj-abrams-chris-pine-paramount-1202785280/

I look forward to the interpretative dance section of the movie.

Trek is big business again with the hype for Picard and the (stupid if not realised) demand for Anson Mount led Pike Enterprise series.

Legion is such a fantastically offbeat, surreal an original take on the x-Men franchise (and one we're unlikely to see again with the Disney merger); between that and Fargo, Hawley is a surefire talent to nab - if this is true.

However, given Chris Pine has seemed quite uninterested in returning to the franchise, it's going to take a helluva script (and pay cheque) to get him back, unless they set #4 with a different cast.

Legion is such a fantastically offbeat, surreal an original take on the x-Men franchise (and one we're unlikely to see again with the Disney merger); between that and Fargo, Hawley is a surefire talent to nab - if this is true.

However, given Chris Pine has seemed quite uninterested in returning to the franchise, it's going to take a helluva script (and pay cheque) to get him back, unless they set #4 with a different cast.

Or Pike et al

Or Pike et al

Hmmm, I dunno. Hawley's a step towards some properly aesthetic creative control, but we don't know if this will be a mega-blockbuster or something smaller scale which might inform the direction. Though either way, I could see executives insisting upon some kind of big name to draw the crowds.

Maybe Pike could get his own movie, but they'd want a famous name as the antagonist.

• Advertisement

Maybe Pike could get his own movie, but they'd want a famous name as the antagonist.

I could easily see myself watching a Pike movie.
    However I guess they'd have to differentiate it from the Bad Robot movies somehow. Pike's story played out a *little* differently in the 2009 movie :D

Advertisement