Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way of moving bales?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

I have blisters :P yea it was, took a few breaks. From yard to field, get bales, back to yard and stack was about 10 to 12 min for 2 bales. Would of used the trailer but didnt have a lad to draw, bales were lifting the back wheels off the ground if I didnt have 1 on the back. Also the speed sensor on the tractor failed just before I started so I had flasing lights and beeping the whole time. Great craic..

what were you driving smokey ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Hard to beat a wrapper in the yard and two trailers drawing to him. Wrapping in the field is a bollix. Every crow from 5 counties lighting on em. Triples the risk of flittering the plastic. I can't understand why it's done that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Willfarman wrote: »
    I can't understand why it's done that way.

Easier for the contractor.

Ah that's important. Who's fuppin payin who!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Hard to beat a wrapper in the yard and two trailers drawing to him. Wrapping in the field is a bollix. Every crow from 5 counties lighting on em. Triples the risk of flittering the plastic. I can't understand why it's done that way.

Cost. Around me I have not seen anyone use loader wrapper. Even seperate baler wrappers are becoming thin on the ground. Baler wrapper is a one man operation with about 120ish Hp tractor. One piece of kit. However if bales have to travel a distance I can understand the other type of set up. From what I can see most contractors are only covering costs if they but relize it and when they do we are all in trouble.

A seperate baler and a wrapper on a loader would be well over 100K for a fairly decent bit of kit. Know a lad that has bought a good baler wrapper last year for 18K. Tractor that is being used is 18 years old. You would pay that for a Baler by itself. You wuld want fair work for a loader to justify cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What's the cost of the loader wrappers?
    Wrap and stack in one go would cut out one tractor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

What about the stationary wrappers or have they been completely forgotten about. I know a fella that uses one, throws a bale up on the wrapper and stacks the wrapped bale while its wrapping, simple system.

ganmo wrote: »
    What's the cost of the loader wrappers?
    Wrap and stack in one go would cut out one tractor

It is not the loader wrapper at all it the loader that will cost the money.
    What about the stationary wrappers or have they been completely forgotten about. I know a fella that uses one, throws a bale up on the wrapper and stacks the wrapped bale while its wrapping, simple system.

How is a stationary wrapper run, I presume it has it own engine. Cannot see any advantage over loader wrapper. All these are simple systems but they just cost money.

It is not the loader wrapper at all it the loader that will cost the money.

How is a stationary wrapper run, I presume it has it own engine. Cannot see any advantage over loader wrapper. All these are simple systems but they just cost money.

Some of them have or a small tractor would run it ticking over. A lot cheaper to buy than a loader wrapper. I'd imagine aswell you would want a serious lump of a tractor or else a dedicated loader to handle a loader mounted wrapper with a bale on it, looks heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

We bale and then draw to the field beside the yard and wrap.use the one tractor for baling and wrapping the other for drawing and stacking. Its not a big job to drop the trailer for loading and unloading. Bring 14 at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

what were you driving smokey ?

Mf 4355, need the weight on the back end or it will lift pretty simple. Terrible light back end on them. The fusion bales wouldnt be the lightest either. The road speed sensor is just over the pto so not too hard to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

A few years back I made bales about a mile from the home place and drew them home with a 100HP tractor and Keltec bale handler. 6 bales per load, unwrapped and wrapped with normal wrapper at home.

The Keltec isn't as easy to operate as you would think. Land has to be level and you have to pick them up alternatively on left right etc to keep the load balanced. You can drop them all in one go which is fine. The other thing to remember is the first bales on the Keltec get dropped down to the ground for each bale picked after. So the first bale will get dropped to the ground a total of 5 times on a 6 bale Keltec. Once by baler, 3 times by Keltec and once by wrapper.:D

150 bales and I ended up drawing through the night, with the wrapper coming again in the morning to finish up. Lets just say, I never did it again.

Overall it's not a bad machine, but I wouldn't dream of picking wrapped bales with it and I certainly wouldn't pay €20k for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

How hard would it be to make something like this? It just tips over to the side to unload. It shows it tipping at 4:50mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Cost. Around me I have not seen anyone use loader wrapper. Even seperate baler wrappers are becoming thin on the ground. Baler wrapper is a one man operation with about 120ish Hp tractor. One piece of kit. However if bales have to travel a distance I can understand the other type of set up. From what I can see most contractors are only covering costs if they but relize it and when they do we are all in trouble.

A seperate baler and a wrapper on a loader would be well over 100K for a fairly decent bit of kit. Know a lad that has bought a good baler wrapper last year for 18K. Tractor that is being used is 18 years old. You would pay that for a Baler by itself. You wuld want fair work for a loader to justify cost

I think a lot you you are thinking of this from a farmer point of view. If your a contractor then wrapper baler and keltecs make plenty of sense" it's like going from a trailer precision chop silage harvester to a self propelled unit. All comes down to volume. Many of the contractors round here have the loaders and tractors already as they do other work too.

As for using the keltec and wrapper in yard, yes it more expensive but a lot faster and it's a single job. As GG just pointed out he spent the whole day just drawing the bales, and as deep SW has said he had 3 lads with double handlers driving up and down the road. When my contractor leaves the bales are wrapped and stacked in yard, not sitting in field while I can be in work or doing the cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

You move the bale 3 times with a loader so that's 33% more time lost than loading wrapped on to trailer and unloading straight to stack.

I'd never go back to stacking in the yard. We move wrapped bales 30+km to home and unload with elephant trunk would be less than 2% damaged. Treat them like eggs and don't let a tool drive the loader

I have never seen a loader wrapper. Stationary wrappers are still the norm around here. Wrapping 30 bales an hour handy. I let lad wrap in the field once. Bollix of a racket. Great for contractor no advantage to me whatsoever.

I have never seen a loader wrapper. Stationary wrappers are still the norm around here. Wrapping 30 bales an hour handy. I let lad wrap in the field once. Bollix of a racket. Great for contractor no advantage to me whatsoever.

Would not call that fast. Last night baler wrapper made 152 bales in around 3 hours. Young lads bought them in and stacked in about four hours ( admitily short draw with a single and double bale handler and front loader. Bales in one field were too heavy to handle three at the time.

You move the bale 3 times with a loader so that's 33% more time lost than loading wrapped on to trailer and unloading straight to stack.

I'd never go back to stacking in the yard. We move wrapped bales 30+km to home and unload with elephant trunk would be less than 2% damaged. Treat them like eggs and don't let a tool drive the loader

Other side of that is quality of roads too. The roads round here a shocking bad. Wrapped bales get a right bouncing and have to drive slower to stop damage. Cork coco have no intrest in maintains them properly and are pushing the cost back onto the land owners, even though the Maintenance of the roads AND margins are their responsibility. Have drawn wrapped bales home a few times but end up having to spend plenty of time patching them. Also my own trailer is not ideal for wrapped bales too many corners, so have to borrow a neighbours. TBH if the coco did improve the roads then I might look at it again but if I was to draw them home I'd have to buy a new trailer with a flat bed and no sharp edges, and get a bale handler for the tractor, which would have to be upgraded to lift the bales and probably have to weights on the wheels too.

Bale handler on the back would just take too long, ok for fields next to yard but not much good for the majority of the cut as it's much further away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Mf 4355, need the weight on the back end or it will lift pretty simple. Terrible light back end on them. The fusion bales wouldnt be the lightest either. The road speed sensor is just over the pto so not too hard to change.

I thought twas a 4300 series u had from previous posts. Is it power shuttle ? I have one showing the same error even though it's reading the mph ok. Is yours reading anything on the dash ?

• Advertisement

Would not call that fast. Last night baler wrapper made 152 bales in around 3 hours. Young lads bought them in and stacked in about four hours ( admitily short draw with a single and double bale handler and front loader. Bales in one field were too heavy to handle three at the time.

It's fast enough for me. It means I have no neccessity for a big aul pig on diesel tractor and bale handler. No crow pecks in bales. No torn bales in unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Carrigogunnell

Just on the back of drawing 450 bales the last 2 days. I don't believe a keltec would have been any faster, the drawn bales still need to be stacked. They do probably come into there own drawing green ones to a wrapper/ stacker on a loader but ur then talking 3 machines and tractors. Staff seem to be my problem definately cant let any joe soab away drawing bales. A such a high cost il be sticking to my trailor for now snyway😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Second bale just made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Second bale just made.

Jaysus that first one took a while

Second bale just made.

61 bales stacked. Off 6 paddocks.

61 bales stacked. Off 6 paddocks.

Keltec gone within 10 minutes of the baler leaving. 4 men involved in total incl myself and the lad rowing up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Hope this doesn't happen ye dsw. Be some job to lift it back up

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

Sweet jebus , a digger wouldn't lift that drawbar :-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

What the hell happened there? It looks like the JD was under so much pressure the pin cracked and she just shot out from under it!

What the hell happened there? It looks like the JD was under so much pressure the pin cracked and she just shot out from under it!

Looks to be 36 bales on it at 700 kg each she's under sone pressure.

An idiot

• Advertisement

Looks to be 36 bales on it at 700 kg each she's under sone pressure.

36 alright by the looks never mind 700 if they are mchale bales it's closer to 850kg each. That's about 29 ton of silage plus weight of trailer so probably about 35 on the hitch.

Also looks like he has to pull up on to the road too, if it were my silage there would be a few f#ck$ Given out.

Will have to take off most of the bales to be able get under it.

Is it just me or is the back axle missing off that tractor

Edit. ..see it now

O not nice at al at al. To be fair tho there well stacked nice lookin bale to.

Do u own the keltec. We're the bales wrapped in the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

There's an awful empty look under the rear mudguard - it looks like the tyre was torn off the rim! I wonder if the trailer is bogged in the gap and they tried to pull hard at an angle and peeled the tyre off the rim?

There's an awful empty look under the rear mudguard - it looks like the tyre was torn off the rim! I wonder if the trailer is bogged in the gap and they tried to pull hard at an angle and peeled the tyre off the rim?

That's what I was thinking earlier when I mentioned the back axle as something didn't look right

Do u own the keltec. We're the bales wrapped in the field.

No and yes. We were all trained in on the inline wrappers ten years ago. Haven't seen bales moved unwrapped since the nineties.

That or there was a slight raise out of the field and driver tried to pull too hard. however trailer was technically over loaded. At best estimate there are four supersize at back. i doubt it more than likely two doubles trying to carry 28.5 ton( 36X630kgs bales and trailer weight of 5000kgs) and that is being optimistic. Isuspect load was north of 30K.

As I posted earlier idiot, not sure was it the drivers fault or as I suspect a contractor with a 17 or 18 year old on it. Heard a story this week about a young tractor jockey going traying silage at 60 euro/day. Who wrong the young kad the idiot of parents or the bollix of a contractor???????????????????

Drawing silage is a damn sight easier work than working on housekeeping in a hotel for eg.

Ooops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Ooops

That yours gg?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Ooops

Haha brilliant, happened at our place years ago. Young lad dropped bale on a hill and straight down into ditch into field far side. Lucky he didn't drop it road side or could have been nasty.

Not easy for contractors to get fellas with more than 2 brain cells.

AP2014 wrote: »
    Haha brilliant, happened at our place years ago. Young lad dropped bale on a hill and straight down into ditch into field far side. Lucky he didn't drop it road side or could have been nasty.

Same happened in the uncles only it went straight through the fence into the neighbours field

Milked out wrote: »
    That yours gg?

Nope found in on Facebook.
    Dad was telling me before he was baling on side of a bank. He was leaving bales in the baler and letting them off at the bottom.

There was a holiday resort about half a mile away under this hill.
    any way one bale he had let off over 40 min before started to roll and it went through fields zmd across roads and ended up in the swimming pool in the resort lol.

Another time he let off a bale on what you would call s flat fiekd in wicklow and it went out across the ditch and landed on the bonnet of a car.

Be war if these things happened now. The 80s and 90s were simpler times

Nope found in on Facebook.
    Dad was telling me before he was baling on side of a bank. He was leaving bales in the baler and letting them off at the bottom.

There was a holiday resort about half a mile away under this hill.
    any way one bale he had let off over 40 min before started to roll and it went through fields zmd across roads and ended up in the swimming pool in the resort lol.

Another time he let off a bale on what you would call s flat fiekd in wicklow and it went out across the ditch and landed on the bonnet of a car.

Be war if these things happened now. The 89s and 90s were simpler times
    It probably just bounced off a car of the 90s where it would write off a car today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

We done a bit for hire back in the 90s was on a farm in a fairly big field and it was getting dark lights on the wrapping tractor were not hectic so when I was finished baling asked the farmers son to make sure we got all the bales. Spoke to the father the next morning when I was filling out the diary he said that he had wrapped 187 bales on the farm I said the baler counter said 201 bales. That evening the farmer rang to say the young lad had drew in a heap of the bales unwrapped:D:D:D

dzer2 wrote: »
    We done a bit for hire back in the 90s was on a farm in a fairly big field and it was getting dark lights on the wrapping tractor were not hectic so when I was finished baling asked the farmers son to make sure we got all the bales. Spoke to the father the next morning when I was filling out the diary he said that he had wrapped 187 bales on the farm I said the baler counter said 201 bales. That evening the farmer rang to say the young lad had drew in a heap of the bales unwrapped:D:D:D

Ya had to pay another visit :D

AP2014 wrote: »

If your on a right steep hill it's hard enough to let them off without it rolling some way or another. I often let one off across the hill only to watch it turn under its own weight and head off down the hill. Seen the bossman to let a bale out of the baler one day that went through a wall onto a road and over the wall on the other side aswell. Lucky there wasn't a car coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If your on a right steep hill it's hard enough to let them off without it rolling some way or another. I often let one off across the hill only to watch it turn under its own weight and head off down the hill. Seen the bossman to let a bale out of the baler one day that went through a wall onto a road and over the wall on the other side aswell. Lucky there wasn't a car coming!
    That's true you could drop a bale at a right right angle to the hill and if it turns slightly after leaving the baler it will take off.

• Advertisement

Ooops

Been there done that. Have a small outside farm part of which is quite steep. Were baling there a few years ago and would bring the bale up to the flat bit before opening, any way one bale bounced out of the baler and bounced off another one and changed direction and took off down the field, though the boundary ditch through the neighbours ditch dropped about 4 feet and keep going to the bottom of the glen and stopped about 3 feet from the river bank. Had to use the digger to go in and get it.

Uncle was baling hay a few years ago and part of his place bounces a steep glen. Lad baling hit a bale with the tractor tyre and turned it down the hill. The bale started moving and keep going, went through the ditch and down the glen (about a 60 foot drop) across the main road through the neighbours place and into the forestry. He got such a fright he dropped the next bale wrong and went the same way.

'Twas some craic trying to get the out of the woods. Entered up getting a track machine to lift the out.

Advertisement