Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and Mental Health

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

Opinionated women always get a load of abuse thrown their way so I fully believe this happened. Some people on here clearly dislike her but that's no reason to think it's not true

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

Exactly!! You don't like her, fine but don't question her experiences because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Lindy97 wrote: »
    Exactly!! You don't like her, fine but don't question her experiences because of it.
    I am taking it for what it is but given previous form I am open to other sides of it, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I am taking it for what it is but given previous form I am open to other sides of it, that's all.

Other sides? There aren't other sides - unless it's the 'not true' side???

Personally, I couldn't be a blogger. I couldn't let so much of my personal life be on show and available for scrutiny. There is also the issue of safety, as in this case. It's probably not a good idea to reveal so much of yourself, although I'm sure anyone living in her proximity would know who is living nearby.

Some people don't know where to draw the line in disagreements. Those who resort to insults generally find they can't argue their opinion in a logical and reasonable manner and their argument is instantly weakened.

I agree on the privacy issue, a few bloggers have this problem, where you could actually work out where they live way too easily based on what they show. James Kavanagh had girls outside his house at least once that I saw.
    I also personally think with kids, you do have to be very careful what you put online but that's more of a chat for the Friends and Family.
    In relation to the mental health aspect, Ive seen a lot of stuff with bloggers where they get obsessed with their views and numbers, and it's beyond it being for business purposes. I saw one blogger obsess because her views were down on a day she didn't really do much, but she was on asking was snapchat down and did people want her to upload the video again? She literally had done nothing of note that day, so possibly people just didn't bother.
    It seems very unhealthy to be that obsessed about your followers and put that much weight in it, especially for someone who has anxiety issues.

• Advertisement

I agree on the privacy issue, a few bloggers have this problem, where you could actually work out where they live way too easily based on what they show. James Kavanagh had girls outside his house at least once that I saw.
    I also personally think with kids, you do have to be very careful what you put online but that's more of a chat for the Friends and Family.
    In relation to the mental health aspect, Ive seen a lot of stuff with bloggers where they get obsessed with their views and numbers, and it's beyond it being for business purposes. I saw one blogger obsess because her views were down on a day she didn't really do much, but she was on asking was snapchat down and did people want her to upload the video again? She literally had done nothing of note that day, so possibly people just didn't bother.
    It seems very unhealthy to be that obsessed about your followers and put that much weight in it, especially for someone who has anxiety issues.

Not aware of the blogger you mean, but I think it's a reflection of the society we live in now unfortunately. Many of the things that ordinary people put on social media is for validation and popularity purposes. I know of people who notice if a certain person doesn't 'like' their status on Facebook etc Teenage girls put up posed photos in front of their bathroom door to gain 300+ likes and comments of 'look good' 'thanks bro' etc. This is not a healthy environment for anyone but bloggers are in a vicious circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Other sides? There aren't other sides - unless it's the 'not true' side???

Personally, I couldn't be a blogger. I couldn't let so much of my personal life be on show and available for scrutiny. There is also the issue of safety, as in this case. It's probably not a good idea to reveal so much of yourself, although I'm sure anyone living in her proximity would know who is living nearby.

Some people don't know where to draw the line in disagreements. Those who resort to insults generally find they can't argue their opinion in a logical and reasonable manner and their argument is instantly weakened.

It's not wholly impossible to believe that some people exist out there who manipulate and exploit situations for content- especially when they have previous form for it.
    If some people don't want to believe that this happened, well that's their prerogative. When someone lives their life so publicly for all to comment on, don't be surprised when people do just that and have opinions that may differ from others.
    Again, I'm not saying that I personally don't believe that this happened, I'd say it did- but I can totally understand why others may be sceptical.

anna080 wrote: »
    It's not wholly impossible to believe that some people exist out there who manipulate and exploit situations for content- especially when they have previous form for it.
    If some people don't want to believe that this happened, well that's their prerogative. When someone lives their life so publicly for all to comment on, don't be surprised when people do just that and have opinions that may differ from others.
    Again, I'm not saying that I personally don't believe that this happened, I'd say it did- but I can totally understand why others may be sceptical.

'Manipulate and exploit situations'..........
    'previous form'.............. What do you mean?

I understand about people living their life publicly and absolutely agree that they shouldn't be surprised when people's opinions differ but I think that's quite different to posting balloons with negativity on them at your door!!!! That's creepy!

'Manipulate and exploit situations'..........
    'previous form'.............. What do you mean?

I understand about people living their life publicly and absolutely agree that they shouldn't be surprised when people's opinions differ but I think that's quite different to posting balloons with negativity on them at your door!!!! That's creepy!

I agree it's creepy. And I'm not getting into this any further- it's off topic and I'm sure boring for others to read.

I agree it's creepy. And I'm not getting into this any further- it's off topic and I'm sure boring for others to read.

I'd disagree it's boring for others to read - I'd imagine they'd like to know - am curious myself as to what you meant. Perhaps you could PM me and explain? Thanks!

• Advertisement

I just watched Holly Carpenter on Snapchat talk about having anxiety and how she copes with it. Maybe it's because she hasn't got much personality and has the voice of a robot, but I found her to be quite disingenuous. Like she was almost trying to squeeze out a tear and some of the things she said made me cringe. I dono. It's like being some kind of victim or having some kind of affliction is the new social currency.

I'm not saying she doesn't have anxiety, I don't know anything about her and she may well have- but I can't help but think that these bloggers are confusing normal stress and natural fluctuating emotion with having anxiety. It's like everything has to have a label nowadays. Being sad and fed up is now being depressed and having an off day and feeling agitated is now suffering from anxiety.
    Everyone has good days and bad days. We all have days where we feel like sh!t. Don't want to get out of bed. Don't want to see people. Feel socially awkward and want to hide from the world. But anxiety is more than just a word to describe your bad day. It doesn't come around on Monday and leave on Tuesday. I feel like these bloggers tend to massively oversimplify these conditions both by how they describe them and how they go about life day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mod

Troll posts and responses deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I just watched Holly Carpenter on Snapchat talk about having anxiety and how she copes with it. Maybe it's because she hasn't got much personality and has the voice of a robot, but I found her to be quite disingenuous. Like she was almost trying to squeeze out a tear and some of the things she said made me cringe. I dono. It's like being some kind of victim or having some kind of affliction is the new social currency.

I'm not saying she doesn't have anxiety, I don't know anything about her and she may well have- but I can't help but think that these bloggers are confusing normal stress and natural fluctuating emotion with having anxiety. It's like everything has to have a label nowadays. Being sad and fed up is now being depressed and having an off day and feeling agitated is now suffering from anxiety.
    Everyone has good days and bad days. We all have days where we feel like sh!t. Don't want to get out of bed. Don't want to see people. Feel socially awkward and want to hide from the world. But anxiety is more than just a word to describe your bad day. It doesn't come around on Monday and leave on Tuesday. I feel like these bloggers tend to massively oversimplify these conditions both by how they describe them and how they go about life day to day.

As someone who genuinely suffers from anxiety and despises bloggers talking about it like they know what it, this is a perfect synopsis.

I have to agree also, I hate commenting on this topic as I feel if you have doubts about a blogger's mental health claims, it's like you're adding to the stigma and issues we face in this country, in getting mental health taken seriously. But I genuinely have some doubts about some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I have to agree also, I hate commenting on this topic as I feel if you have doubts about a blogger's mental health claims, it's like you're adding to the stigma and issues we face in this country, in getting mental health taken seriously. But I genuinely have some doubts about some of them.

I do feel the same in regards to the worries around adding to stigma. But, when I'm having a particularly bad day with my mental health there is no way I could go about my day like they do. It is telling people that even if you have anxiety you're still able to go about your day as normal. I know that isn't possible for myself and other sufferers. I do not like the idea at in Ireland it is not acceptable to say no to things due to a mental illness. A physical ailment is an acceptable reason for not being able to do something, a mental one isn't. I have videos recorded of myself during attacks to show my therapist, if I saw anyone in a similar state to me, it would instantly hit home with me and I would be filled with compassion for the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

PLL wrote: »
    I do feel the same in regards to the worries around adding to stigma. But, when I'm having a particularly bad day with my mental health there is no way I could go about my day like they do. It is telling people that even if you have anxiety you're still able to go about your day as normal. I know that isn't possible for myself and other sufferers. I do not like the idea at in Ireland it is not acceptable to say no to things due to a mental illness. A physical ailment is an acceptable reason for not being able to do something, a mental one isn't. I have videos recorded of myself during attacks to show my therapist, if I saw anyone in a similar state to me, it would instantly hit home with me and I would be filled with compassion for the person.

Is it a bit of with them "oh look at me I'm so great I suffer with anxiety but I still go out & do things tell me I'm great brace & fabulous "

You've just outlined the exact reasons I have doubts about some of them. And also that it seems a lot of the time, to be brought up when they're being criticised or having issues as it instantly gets them support and makes anyone saying anything look uncaring. Its used as a defensive mechanism, which in my opinion adds to the stigma far more than someone doubting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

There seems to be a range of issues that get brought up when their careers are in the spotlight for negative reasons or when their careers appear to be in jeprody. Some days anxiety will be chosen, other days hair problems. The depression card gets played also. And within hours they can be fine again.

Personally I think the hair thing is different. It was clear as day that there was something going on there and something motivating her bizarre behaviour. When she said she had hair loss and suffers with it still, it made sense to me. I can understand how the loss of your hair being so completely out of your control can inspire you to want to control every other aspect of your life and something like that manifests itself in unusual behaviours.

The anxiety thing seems to be used as a crutch a lot. All I know is from those I know who suffer from anxiety, the last thing they do is film themselves afterwards for a bunch of strangers to have a gawk, before heading out for the night later for vinos with the girls acting like nothing ever happened. Maybe that's me being ignorant to it I don't know. But a lot of people are suss.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

And also that it seems a lot of the time, to be brought up when they're being criticised or having issues as it instantly gets them support and makes anyone saying anything look uncaring..

This is exactly what I've been trying to say over in the other thread about the Muf. Her timing is Very convenient to say the least...

I'm not trying to stir up anything on this thread as mental health is a serious issue but I find it amusing that some people on this thread are slating other people about their anxiety and depression, saying it's not real But will have a go if someone is saying the exact same thing on a different thread, pointing out near enough the same thing.

As I have previously said, Im not for one minute saying that the muf isn't being genuinely upset about her hair but I feel she is using her platform as a way of gaining support.

• Advertisement

Why is her timing convenient?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

scarbouro wrote: »
    This is exactly what I've been trying to say over in the other thread about the Muf. Her timing is Very convenient to say the least...

I'm not trying to stir up anything on this thread as mental health is a serious issue but I find it amusing that some people on this thread are slating other people about their anxiety and depression, saying it's not real But will have a go if someone is saying the same thing on a different thread pointing out near enough the same thing.

As I have previously said, Im not for one minute saying that the muf isn't being genuinely upset about her hair but I feel she is using her platform as a way of gaining support.

How are the two examples FBG/anxiety and MUF/hair loss comparable? I'm just curious

GingerLily wrote: »
    How are the two examples FBG/anxiety and MUF/hair loss comparable? I'm just curious

I wasn't comparing FBG to the muf... I was saying that people often use their hardship /tough time to gain sympathy or support from people. It's not the first or last time one of them will play this card.

I wasn't comparing FBG to the muf... I was saying that people often use their hardship /tough time to gain sympathy or support from people. It's not the first or last time one of them will play this card.

If she was that way inclined she would have used it yonks ago. This was something that was building for ages.

If she was that way inclined she would have used it yonks ago. This was something that was building for ages.

Well that's what you believe Anna but I believe differently so we'll just have leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Why is her timing convenient?

She put up a post about her upcoming tour just afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Sometimes people need to get things off their chest and maybe yes you they're hoping for support, that's doesn't mean they're manipulating people.
    Do some bloggers use this as a tactic? Yes. But it's quite obvious the MUF had a body and image issue so I'd be happy to take her at face value on this one.

You can be sceptical if you want though, nothing wrong with that.

She put up a post about her upcoming tour just afterwards.

She announced that a few weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

She announced that a few weeks ago

I know that Anna. Promoting it minutes after crying on snapchat seemed a bit off.

• Advertisement

I know that Anna. Promoting it minutes after crying on snapchat seemed a bit off.

Not the smartest move, I'll admit that.

Advertisement