Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Ferney, by James Long.

I appreciate a lot of work went into the historical research for this novel, and the writing is quite beautiful at times, but I just couldn't get on board with the central love story. I didn't identify with the characters and
    I found myself sympathising with the husband.
    I don't think I'll bother with the sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

The complete Sherlock Holmes.

I only really got into reading as a twenty something. I was a nerd reader as a teenager and didn't read a lot of fiction. Only getting around to most of the classics now.

Still better late that never. Almost finished reading outliers by your man Malcolm Gladwell and am just about to start a book on fifa corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm reading The Book of Dust by Philip Pullman, the follow-up to the His Dark Materials series.

I'm always surprised at how well Pullman captures the world from the point of view of a child. It feels very real.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Malari wrote: »
    Ferney, by James Long.

I appreciate a lot of work went into the historical research for this novel, and the writing is quite beautiful at times, but I just couldn't get on board with the central love story. I didn't identify with the characters and
    I found myself sympathising with the husband.
    I don't think I'll bother with the sequel.

I absolutely LLLOVE that book!!! I read it back in 1998, mind you. I agree with what you're saying about
    the husband
    , but I thought the story was so brilliant I was completely hooked (again, this was 20 years ago).

The sequel ("The Lives She Left Behind"), which is set something like 15 years later (I can't remember exactly), answers some of the questions left from "Ferney" and is one of those books you can't stop reading, it's written beautifully and is very well structured, and again the historical part is very well researched, too, but I felt disappointed by the ending, I felt like James Long wanted to put a very definite stop to any chance of a further volume - to me it sounded like the editors forced him to write it - either that or he got fed up and put those characters behind him ages before he had finished to write the sequel.

James Long (who has also written a couple of books along the same lines under the pseudonym Will Davenport - "The Sinner" and "The Painter", if I remember correctly), used to be a BBC journalist. His first few novels were mostly crime/thrillers/espionage type of things, but he has an obvious passion for history. He has also co-written "The Plot Against Pepys" with his historian son Ben Long .

He's one of my favourite authors (and I don't even like history). :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Vojera wrote: »
    I'm reading The Book of Dust[/i] by Philip Pullman, the follow-up to the His Dark Materials series.

I'm always surprised at how well Pullman captures the world from the point of view of a child. It feels very real.

That's on my wishlist. :) Chapters, wait 'till I get to Dublin! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

On Writing by Stephen King
    Read it before, reading it now, and will read it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

New Home wrote: »
    I absolutely LLLOVE that book!!! I read it back in 1998, mind you. I agree with what you're saying about
    the husband
    , but I thought the story was so brilliant I was completely hooked (again, this was 20 years ago).

That's interesting, New Home! I actually found the story not imaginative enough! Not the history aspects, perhaps, but just
    more detail on how they came to find each other repeatedly, more depth of character, more on how they dealt with the practicalities of returning to the same village.

I've read many of Claire North's books, some with a similar-ish theme, and the protagonists are often
    self-centred and morally dubious, which I don't have a problem with because I was interested in them. I just didn't care about Ferney and Gally...I cared about Mike! :D

Just finished reading A Life In Parts by Bryan Cranston. I enjoyed it, great actor and seems like a nice guy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

For some reason, I want to go back to reading James A. Michener even though I still have books from Christmas to read. Hawaii is up there with my favorite books.

Business Analysis for Dummies. Interesting and I do feel quite slow in understanding it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,246 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Gallery of the Dead by Chris Carter

I love my crime thrillers and his are gruesome, gory and I love his twisted mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

The Iliad. Read it years ago but a recent podcast put me in the humour to read it again. It's excellent, but my god I'd forgotten how bloody it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Business Analysis for Dummies. Interesting and I do feel quite slow in understanding it all.

The wolf's gold(Empire) Anthony Riches,,,,,number 5/6 in the empire series, good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The man in the high castle , Philip K. Dick , enjoying so far ,another troubled genius I’m afraid .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The Welsh Triangle Revisited by Peter Paget.

It's great fun.

Friend request by Laura Marshall

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Brave by Rose McGowan.

One of those books you can't put down dread picking up.

Half way through and so far she's just been a bratty narcissist with seemingly zero self awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Running ---- Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Good insight into him, Interesting fella

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Picked up Colin Bateman's "Mystery Man" for some light reading and loving it. It's about the owner of a book shop who becomes a private detective pretty much by accident when the owner of the agency next door disappears and falls into a case involving murder, nazis and customers who are "a heady mix of silent-but-deadly farters, shoplifters, alcoholics, and students".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Temporarily bookless; rereading some Karin Slaughter. Must download something from Gutenberg ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I just finished the Tattooist of Aushwitz by Heather Morris. Brilliant book, originally written as a screenplay. I hope it will be made into a film.

I stopped reading American God's by Neil Gaiman halfway through -temporarily lost the book. I'm now continuing from where I left off. Also highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

eviltwin wrote: »
    The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle

Finished that last month, working through all the Holmes books on Audible. It's delightful. Also loving that the perpetrators are well developed and multi dimensional.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I just finished Iron Will by James Maxwell (The Evermen Saga author). It's the fourth and final instalment of "The Shifting Tides" collection. The whole series is just fantastic!

Like most fantasy books it involved dragons, serpents and magic. Honestly, if you love Robin Hobb then you'll love James Maxwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Class of 82

I've just pre-ordered the new Irvine Welsh book, Dead Men's Trousers. This book is a follow up to the stories of the characters from his first novel, Trainspotting. I am really looking forward to reading this as Renton, Sick Boy, Spud and Begbie are my favour characters in fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Rosie Rant wrote:
    I just finished the Tattooist of Aushwitz by Heather Morris. Brilliant book, originally written as a screenplay. I hope it will be made into a film.

Downloaded to the Kindle the other night. Currently reading "Not in your Lifetime " by Anthony Summers, about the JFK assassination. Also, Bruce Dickinson's autobiography. Intriguing character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

The hundred year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

Almost finished it but eeking it out as it's my last Jonasson book and he makes me giggle. Love his style of writing and his wonderful tales. ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    I stopped reading American God's by Neil Gaiman halfway through -temporarily lost the book. I'm now continuing from where I left off. Also highly recommended.
    I actually found American Gods a very tough read. I love the concept of the book but I found it a real chore to get through in parts. I was disappointed because I so looked forward to reading it.

Saying that, the only other Gaiman book I've read is The Graveyard Book (which I loved but which is aimed at a younger audience), so maybe I'm just not into his writing style.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

Rosie Rant wrote: »

Just started this book. Seems very good so far. Weather not great st moment so I'd say I'll get through it quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

One Chapter into The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, supposedly the Rolling Stone's song, Sympathy for the Devil, may have been inspired by it. I like the style of writing and it doesn't seem clunky for something written in Russian.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement