Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super XV 2015 General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,091 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Where's Nemani Nadolo?:(

only finished playing jap rugby 2 days ago so will be offered some time off first.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/65944282/fijian-flyer-nemani-nadolo-could-make-early-return-for-crusaders-from-japan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Good to see Romano back.

I assume Sam Whitelock is on AB leave.

Who are Drummond and Guyton? Any good? I know Heinz is injured but I thought Andy Ellis was back. Is he injured as well?

No idea about Drummond & Guyton. Ellis still in Japan for a bit. Read, Whitelock, Dagg on AB leave.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    anybody doing a superbru predictor for the Super xv this year??

http://www.superbru.com/superrugby/dashboard.php?userjoined=existing

If you get one going I'd join...

Swiwi. wrote: »
    If you get one going I'd join...

ok,. think ive done that

search for

boards.ie SXV

in the pools

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fintans71

Can't wait for super xv to start. Love the pace of play, the hits and all the offloads. I think that we will have a South Africa winner this year.

• Advertisement

anybody doing a superbru predictor for the Super xv this year??

http://www.superbru.com/superrugby/dashboard.php?userjoined=existing

He he, pretty much universal agreement across the (admittedly small) crew of punters...with the exception of Blues v Chiefs. Yeah_Right, your blind loyalty is going to cost you son...

We're all going against the grain with canes versus lions.

Very interesting selections, all very similar ;)

We're all going against the grain with canes versus lions.

Very interesting selections, all very similar ;)

I'm looking forward to the season. I think this weekend will be the Crusaders on replay, the Blues v Chiefs live, and then Ireland & Scottish victories in the 6N. Highlights only for the rest of the weekend's action.

There's a nice contrast between rugby in the 2 hemispheres, the thing I like best about NZ rugby is seeing which new talent will emerge - it never disappoints.

Of course, it's all calm before the Highlanders v Crusaders storm next weekend :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Just made an account there, I'll probably get them all comfortably wrong

Bridge93 wrote: »

The more the merrier :)

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »

This will help a little

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,15993_30535,00.html

The pre-season games are notoriously poor for predicting form, I think they're usally 4 x 20 minute quarters, with a starting XV and then pretty much the rest of the squad on the bench with copious chopping and changing, but I did have a wee glance. Was I worried the Crusaders lost all 3 warm-up games including a complete ass-whipping by the Reds? - not at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

1L9473c140-771d-4657-b18d-8dde26dd1ab1.jpg

Last Season: 15th (Dead last)

Last Year’s Prediction: 4th (In Aussie Conference) again, but no more thrashings (Yeah they got thrashed a fair bit, got this one badly wrong)

Transfers
    Notable Additions: Jonah Placid (Reds), Dom Shipperly (Reds), Mike Harris (Reds), Cam Crawford (Waratahs), and Radike Samo (A Japanese Retirement Home)

Notable Departures: Hugh Pyle (Stade Francais), Jason Woodward (Hurricanes), and Lachlan Mitchell (Retired)

Overview
    A massive step backwards from the Rebels last year. Gave up far too easily in so many games. Inexperience in both defence and attack has meant there has been no progress. They have a promising young squad, but haven't clicked yet. Rebels have to cope with the loss of their best and most consistent performer in Jason Woodward. They have bought smartly, raiding the other Australian teams for their squad players. Adding a good bit of depth to the backline in particular. In Mike Harris they potentially have their replacement for Woodward. Always consistent and a reliable goal kicker. A bit worrying that they go into the season without a first choice 10. Bryce Hegarty while full of promise last year, really struggled to manage the team. The Rebels have been talking up young Jack Debreczeni, but describing an outhalf as physical and having a huge boot wouldn't fill me with confidence about his abilities to run a backline. With a lack of experience at 10, the Rebels really need their more experienced players to step-up. Players such as the co-captains Scott Higginbotham and Scott Fuglistaller really need to show leadership to guide this team around. How much more experience can you get than 38 year old Radike Samo. A fairytale return to Australian rugby, and if he can cap it off with a return to the national team then it will be a remarkable story. His experience and guidance will prove invaluable to the Rebels. Big pressure on Tony McGahan to improve fortunes, the Rebels and their fans will be expecting a much improved team and performance this year.

Players to Watch

Wallaby Watch
    Scott Higginbotham - At one stage was Australia's most promising player but has failed to fulfill his potential. Surprising that he is only 28, seems like he has been around for a lot longer. This will be his last season in Australia for the foreseeable future, with Japan beckoning. Will hope to head abroad after a successful World Cup campaign, but first of all he will have to make it there. The backrow is one of Australia's most competitive positions. The squad is filled with versatile players so Higginbotham's ability to cover 6 and 8 might not help him stand out. Injury meant McCalman leapfrogged him and McCalman's strong performances should keep him ahead of Higginbotham, and then he also has to deal with the return of Fardy and Palu. At the moment, I say he is barely hanging onto his place in the squad. There will be some fierce backrow competition between the Aussie Super Rugby teams so Higginbotham will have to outperform his numerous competitors in these games. The Rebels might not be the team to showcase his talent but Higginbotham will have to just concentrate on his leadership skills and his experience to impress Cheika.

Wallaby Bolter
    Mike Harris - He has already displayed his nerves of steel in the Wallaby Gold when he struck the last second kick to defeat Wales a couple of years ago. While the Wallabies have great talent available in the backline, they are lacking players that come on and close a game out. Would you really want to turn to Cooper and Beale if you were only ahead by 3 with 15 minutes to go? I am not sure that you would. Harris is the type of player who can come on and steady the team. Can cover a range of positions (10, 12, and 15), so would be good squad cover. He doesn't have the natural attacking ability of the rest of the Wallabies but sometimes you need players like him in the squad; reliable players that can do a job. He should be playing week in week out with the Rebels so should have plenty of gametime to stake his claim for a place in the squad.

Prediction
    Another season of disappointment. Too much inexperience in the squad to put together a consistent run. They should be around the 14th to 15th spot.

What we all want to see
    If he can do this at 35, I can't wait to see what he can do at 38 years young

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Wheres McCaw away? Has it been announced yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He he, pretty much universal agreement across the (admittedly small) crew of punters...with the exception of Blues v Chiefs. Yeah_Right, your blind loyalty is going to cost you son...

This is our year. The Blues always take a long time between drinks (and its been a loooooooooong time since our last drink). We are due. Win it for Kev!!!!

damianmcr wrote: »
    Wheres McCaw away? Has it been announced yet?

No, an annoucement expected imminently. I think he'll retire. I doubt he'll go to Pau, but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

How do I join the superbru league?

Never mind, found it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

No, an annoucement expected imminently. I think he'll retire. I doubt he'll go to Pau, but who knows.

I heard he is signing with Leinster for a season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I heard he is signing with Leinster for a season.

No reason for that, we have enough back row forwards at Leinster we don't need some foreigner coming in ahead of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

No reason for that, we have enough back row forwards at Leinster we don't need some foreigner coming in ahead of them.

Please come to Ulster. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Crusaders v Rebels (6.35am / Sky Sports 1)
    1 Joe Moody, 2 Ben Funnell, 3 Owen Franks, 4 Luke Romano, 5 Dominic Bird, 6 Richie McCaw, 7 Matt Todd (c), 8 Luke Whitelock, 9 Mitchell Drummond, 10 Daniel Carter, 11 Johnny McNicholl, 12 Tom Taylor, 13 Kieron Fonotia, 14 Robbie Fruean, 15 Colin Slade

Replacements : 16 Codie Taylor, 17 Alex Hodgman, 18 Wyatt Crockett, 19 Scott Barrett, 20 Jordan Taufua, 21 Billy Guyton, 22 Ryan Crotty, 23 Nathaniel Apa.

versus
    1. Toby Smith ,2. Pat Leafa,3. Laurie Weeks ,4. Luke Jones,5. Lopeti Timani ,6. Sean McMahon ,7. Colby Fainga'a ,8. Scott Higginbotham ,9. Nic Stirzaker,10. Jack Debreczeni ,11. Tom English ,12. Mitch Inman ,13. Tamati Ellison ,14. Dom Shipperley ,15. Mike Harris

Replacements : 16. Ben Whittaker ,17. Cruze Ah-Nau ,18. Paul Alo-Emile ,19. Sam Jeffries ,20. Scott Fuglistaller ,21. Luke Burgess ,22. Bryce Hegarty ,23. Sefanaia Naivalu

Brumbies v Reds (8.40am / Sky Sports 1)
    1. Scott Sio , 2. Josh Mann-Rea , 3. Ben Alexander , 4. Rory Arnold , 5. Sam Carter , 6. Scott Fardy , 7. David Pocock (c) , 8. Jarrad Butler , 9. Nic White (vc) , 10. Matt Toomua , 11. Joe Tomane , 12. Christian Lealiifano , 13. Tevita Kuridrani , 14. Henry Speight , 15. Robbie Coleman

Replacements : 16. Stephen Moore , 17. JP Smith , 18. Ruan Smith , 19. Jordan Smiler , 20. Ita Vaea , 21. Michael Dowsett , 22. James Dargaville , 23. Lausii Taliauli

versus
    1. James Slipper (C) , 2. Saia Fainga'a , 3. Sam Talakai , 4. James Horwill , 5. Marco Kotze , 6. Curtis Browning , 7. Liam Gill , 8. Jake Schatz , 9. Will Genia , 10. Karmichael Hunt (VC) , 11. Lachie Turner , 12. Samu Kerevi , 13. Chris Feauai-Sautia , 14. Chris Kuridrani , 15. Jamie-Jerry Taulagi

16. James Hanson , 17. Ben Daley, 18. Sef Faagase, 19. Ed O'Donoghue , 20. Adam Korczyk , 21. Nick Frisby , 22. Duncan Paia'aua, 23. Campbell Magnay

Lions v Hurricanes (17.10pm Sky Sports 4)
    15. Andries Coetzee , 14. Ruan Combrinck , 13. Lionel Mapoe , 12. Howard Mnisi , 11. Courtnall Skosan , 10. Marnitz Boshoff , 9. Ross Cronje , 8. Warren Whiteley (c) , 7. Derick Minnie , 6. Jaco Kriel , 5. Franco Mostert , 4. Martin Muller , 3. Ruan Dreyer , 2. Malcolm Marx , 1. Schalk van der Merwe

Replacements : 16. Armand van der Merwe , 17. Corne Fourie , 18. Jacques van Rooyen , 19. Robert Kruger , 20. Warwick Tecklenburg , 21. Faf de Klerk , 22. Elton Jantjies , 23. Stokkies Hanekom

versus
    1. Ben Franks , 2. Dane Coles , 3. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen , 4. Mark Abbott , 5. James Broadhurst , 6. Brad Shields , 7. Ardie Savea , 8. Blade Thomson , 9. TJ Perenara , 10. Beauden Barrett , 11. Julian Savea , 12. Rey Lee-Lo , 13. Conrad Smith , 14. Cory Jane , 15. Jason Woodward

Replacements:16. Brayden Mitchell , 17. Reggie Goodes , 18. Chris Eves , 19. Callum Gibbins , 20. Victor Vito , 21. Chris Smylie , 22. James Marshall , 23. Matt Proctor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Think I tried to join the right league there anyway.

Looking forward to seeing How this competition goes this year with the World Cup on the horizon.
    Crusaders will be going all out again this year and hopefully they win it out. Mccaw and carter deserve to go out with a bang.

Hopefully I get to see a good few games but this working crack is starting to get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Great to see Pocock back, hopefully he has an injury free season. Be great to see him and Hooper battling it out for the Aussie 7 shirt!

Predicting Crusaders, Brumbies and a tight Hurricanes win.

so we're up to 6 players in the league!!!

And we're off!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Go on the hurricanes!

Rebels winning 13 - 10 at half time !

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm heading to catch a flight currently so score updates are appreciated

Nice to catch a bit of rugby before work anyway.

Surprising score line but crusaders struggled early last season too.

Carter barely missed penalty.
    Harris inexcusably kicks the resultant 22 into touch. Saders scrum in the 22 in front of the posts.... mental

• Advertisement

Carter barely missed penalty.
    Harris inexcusably kicks the resultant 22 into touch. Saders scrum in the 22 in front of the posts.... mental

That drop out will probably change the game completely.

Advertisement