Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Poirier now seems to have his number so don't see the point of another fight .......he's a bit like Diaz in some regard for McGregor (although he won that 2nd fight) ....both big ox's he just seems to have trouble putting away

In saying that I don't see Poirier winning a belt either, he's not particularly great at anything an all rounder but his boxing is a sloppy mess of punches in bunches and his ground game a bit meh .....if Oliveira is at the top of his game he beats him

As for McGregor I dunno, he appears washed up ......the pre fight trash talk was tiresome, I didn't even bother catching the fight live 90% expected that result 10% hoping he'd pull it off (yes I'd still like to see him win)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

He has some of the best if not the best boxing in mma. Renowned boxing trainer teddy atlas even gave him plaudits. It might not be the prettiest but its every effective.

His only weakness glaring weakness as been his chin and that seems to have improved now too.

Oliveria is actually a pretty good match up for him. If Dustin can keep it standing he can win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

So hang on, he had loads of fractures and couldn't train properly and his head coach didn't even know? Or he's lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

He broke his leg, not his neck, its a fight, if you were in a fight and bust your leg, would you not cover up after getting totally dominated ? For 5 seconds too? Uoh well done Conor, you use your reflexes in a fight, and you're a fighter, wow he still has it. Breaking this fight down in to mini sections by some people here is pathetic.

Flag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

His comments since the fight are only getting worse and worse, I mean how do you reconcile the fact that he went out with a gameplan to kick the **** out of a guy but at the same time was also in serious consideration of being pulled out of the fight because of multiple stress fractures to his leg?

Its sad at this stage actually, everytime he loses theres an excuse but they are really starting to kiss goodbye to reality at this stage, "I had multiple fractures in me leg, so we figured the game plan should be to go out and throw leg kicks at him as hard I possibly could"

I feel the 10-8 cards were tipped by what was a perceived knockdown and swarming of him again, I actually think as all he did was shell up and turn away he was a little lucky Herb didn't step in during those 5 seconds he was cowering against the cage but either way it was a pretty conclusive round in the books for Dustin. Conor has one hell of a hard head, I'll give him that. He took so many elbows to the face and head while getting dominated on his back, he is lucky obviously in that he just doesn't cut up easily but credit to him he has a hard head.

Dominance, Damage and Duration - thats what they use for judging, it was obviously a dominant round for Dustin, even on the feet - Conor had a minute where he was throwing spinning kicks and leg kicks and then Dustin actually took the centre of the cage and the power difference was obvious between them, Conor caught Dustin clean with the left cross Dustin walked through it, Dustin caught Conor with a one two and the left really hurt him, staggering him backward, Dustin followed up getting through again and knocking his head back and then Conor clinches up (in his post fight interview he has somehow already convinced himself Dustin shot to close the distance, not Conor shooting to save his face)

Damage - He had a bloody mouth and ear, but like I said he doesn't cut up easily and it can fool people into thinking he hasn't taken much damage but I can assure you if you've ever been elbowed hard to the face while taking another mans body weight it is very damaging both in that moment and to your long term prospects in a fight.

Duration - Again Conor had about 60 seconds where you could argue he was on to in the feeling out period, he never had the guillotine at all and Dustin was clearly in dominant position for more than 50% of the round. You can see why spending 2/3 minutes on your back while eating elbows is going to stick in a judges mind as being a long time a guy was getting a pasting.

It was a very clear 10-9, and you could make a case for the 10-8 for sure but I don't honestly think we see two judges call it a 10-8 if they realise there was no contact really on the punch and it was purely his own momentum that snapped the leg and put him down.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Khabib fight "me foot was a balloon, me foot was a balloon"

Said he was sparring hard without shin guards for this fight. Why? What happened to Johns "upgrade the software without damaging the hardware" nonsense.

Just excuse after excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

win or learn my arse

Win or complain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Big Lol at you all on here criticising McGregor so much. The lad has achieved in sport something that no other irish person has before, or even looks like achieving in future. And he even managed to do it and be the pioneer of the sport worldwide. Yes he acted like a tool there for a few years after becoming Champ Champ, partying hard with his posse of deciples, and i didnt like the way he lost a lot of fans during this time and after, he went from funny/charming Conor to ignorant/bully Conor. But sportswise, he got his head back in the game since 2020, has been more or less always looking to fight the top guys, and still has the self-belief that he will get back to the top. Lets hope he recovers well and gets back fighting next year, there is still no bigger ufc show that a top guy vs Conor in Vegas. And yes its usually vs Conor, so he is actually the underdog in most of this fights ye are criticising him for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,707 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Before I go further, which pictures specifically are you referring to on his twitter?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Clicked post before I finished and I dunno how to edit on this new site.

The pictures where he is strapping up his ankle?

He has said many times that he has gone into fights with niggles or injuries that others would pull out from, it can be a bit of a gamble. They would have weighed up the probability and concluded the ankle would be ok and he would have enough to beat Dustin. I wouldnt give Dustin much credit for the ankle break even if it came as result of him checking a kick, it was a freak incident. Yes he is on record with the win and fair play to him i hope he gets the title next, they both got paid well, but he only won because of this incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just reading Firas Zahabi's comments on McGregor. Can't disagree.

McGregor is so down,” Zahabi said. “He’s so angry and jealous of Poirier. He will say and do anything to try and insult Poirier, try to take away this moment off Poirier. Listen, Poirier has beaten you. He’s a better fighter than you. He will be remembered as a better fighter than you.

“Whatever beef you have there, you can’t take it and start threatening to kill each other and then start threatening each other’s children, team members and whatnot. That’s just animal behavior. Then to say what he said about Poirier’s wife – it’s disgusting.”

“I think McGregor suffers from narcissism – heavily, heavily narcissistic,” Zahabi said. “And unfortunately for him, he can’t see that he’s at fault. That’s why he needs a true friend or family member to step in and kind of sober him up a little bit because honestly, all he did was embarrass himself. You’ll never see a fighter behave like this.

“He’s the only guy that even if he loses, he can’t take it. He can’t look in the mirror and say, ‘You know what? That wasn’t my fight. It didn’t go my way. I lost. Here’s what I have to do to improve. This is how I better myself.’ No, no, no – in his mind, ‘It was a freak accident. There was no check. You were going to get a beating in the second round.’ It’s just nonsense. Pure nonsense. Not only has his skills as a fighter dipped, but also his character.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/07/firas-zahabi-grossed-out-narcissistic-conor-mcgregor-behavior-ufc-264-broken-leg/amp?__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement

Seemed the damage was done by Dustin's elbow?

All fighters go into the cage with niggles, banged up, sore - its the fight game.

To say he only won because of the incident is a little disingenuous, after the previous fight and how that first round went the onus was on McGregor to do something different because what he had been doing v Poirier for 2 fights just wasn't working at this stage and he had shown no answers to that point.

It looks like, and its funny to say it, but it looks like the break actually saved Conor from taking more damage to his brain and potential problems in later life if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

McGregor will continue to be a draw for the UFC for another couple of fights. The freak injury will allow them to sell a comeback/redemption fight against someone.

However, I think he is done in terms of being able to compete with the top guys in the LW division. Khabib and Dustin both looked in much better nick than McGregor come fight night. His partying to excess and flirting with boxing has really stalled his development as a MMA fighter.

I said it before, but if he was to move to the USA and join a top gym over there and make a fresh start I would like to see it. If not, this is certainly the beginning of the end for his UFC career imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You can't honestly say he only won because he broke his leg. You don't know how the rest of the fight would have gone.

He wasn't physically in as good a shape as Dustin, that's why the fight was stopped early, and McGregor lost.

I can certainly say that the only reason Dustin won is because McGregor broke his ankle. That is what happened. It is 100% fact.

Now had he not broke his ankle, Dustin may well have gone on to win the fight, be it a knockout, ref stoppage or submission in rounds 2, 3, 4 or 5. Or it may have been a judges points win after 5 rounds. At the same time, maybe McGregor would have won by any of these.

I will also add, had he not broke his ankle, the fight would have gone into round 2, Dustin wasnt gonna through a knockout punch in those last few secs and probably neither Conor. Who knows what would have happened had he not broke his ankle.

• Advertisement

He was the GOAT in featherweight I give him that. He was literally handed the title in the lightweight championship against Alvarez.

He was actually great in UFC taking the mickey out of other fighters and annoying them to the last until the Nate Diaz rematch where he showed his true colors throwing the water bottles.

His true proper colours have come out now against Khabib and Porier. McGregor is a narcissist who can't stand losing.

All his other arrests with the bus, hotel accusations, man in pub just shows how scummy of a person he is.

Insulting Poriers wife is just scummy behaviour. I think at this stage he's lost everyone's respect.

He should just retire now, if he can't stand losing its time to go.

HE WAS NEVER ANY GOOD AT LIGHTWEIGHT!

I'd say a ground and pound in round 2 would of finishing McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

McGregor's career seems to be following a very similar path to Mike Tyson's in that when he had that aura of being invincible he tore through the divisions showcasing great skills and demolishing opponents. A lot of fighters looked beaten even before stepping in the ring. Both kept their aura following what looked to be shock defeats and excuses where made that they had gone off the rails outside of the ring/cage(Tyson/McGregor) or the step up in weight(McGregor) helped throw up the freak defeat.

The next loss for both seemed to be when the real falloff happened, McGregor put up a good fight against Khabib and coped better than most on the ground but also got put down by a shot and Khabib hasn't put many down. In reality while McGregor defended well on the ground in that fight and delayed the inevitable for while he didn't show anything to make him standout.

I think Poirier was very confident he could handle McGregor going into the 2nd fight and put him away fairly easily, going into the 3rd he was even more confident. He started slowly enough to figure what McGregor's plan would be and as soon as he upped the pressure he hurt McGregor and forced him into the clinch and guillotine. Sure it was a bad way for the fight to end and there's no way it was a 10-8 round but I don't see any way McGregor was going to win that fight if the leg break hadn't happened.

With the aura around him gone, fighters will be queuing up to take a shot at McGregor and I think we'll see a steep decline over the next few fights if he comes back.

Obviously Poirier only won the fight the way he did because he won the way he did. It's like saying it's warm today because it's warm today. It's a nonsense statement that adds nothing to the discussion so it's not too surprising to see where it's coming from.

McGregor is who he is and happens to be an excellent fighter. Forget about the fact that he can fight, the vast majority of us went to school with someone like him and as time goes by he gets more and more like the guy in school we all remember. Obviously we're not allowed to use completely truthful and accurate language on here to describe him but we all know what he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I think you're mixing up sporting achievements with popularity achievements. We've had lots of World Champs. McGregor's record, for example is 28-6. Steve Collins, the boxer has 39-3 and has won both WBO middle-weight and WBO super-middle belts. Not to mention Rory McIlroy, Brian O'Driscoll, Katie Taylor, Ken Doherty, Robbie Keane etc who all achieved greatness on the world stage.

Conor came into a relatively new and growing sport. The level of professionalism is much higher now in MMA than it was 10 years ago and McGregor is not able to keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Conor wasn't good enough to beat Dustin on the night. That's why he lost. No other reason. Now he's posting pictures of the leg he damaged in training to try and save face.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If there were multiple stress fractures then why on Earth was be kicking Poirier so much with that same leg?

Even as an excuse, that is brutal management and Kavanagh has questions to answer as to whether he allowed this or if McGregor went rogue.

McGregor won't ever get back to the level he was at unless he cuts off every single hang-on he has. Between his friends and his coaches. They're clearly yes men and unless he hears what he needs to hear then nothing will change.

Kavanagh is a yes man. I've been saying it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

It's been raised a few times and ignored.

McGregor's excuses make no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭crybaby

Kavanagh should not be coaching any more fighters at a UFC level, clearly not cut out for it at all. Completely bottled Khabib and BOTH of these fights as he has no idea on how to improve McGregor as a fighter. Once McGregor beat Alvarez, SBG should have been given a chunk of money and he should have relocated to the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Some of the recent comments on this echo what I was coming here to ask. I don't follow MMA too closely but from what I've see Conor dominated the lower division as he was quite big even though he had to cut weight. His natural talent and size got him through the opponents.

When he stepped up into a more level playing field where his size advantage was nullified it seems that his talent was not enough. Would it therefore be fair to say that his coach and training is not where it should be or is his non-sporting escapades catching up with him. He seems to be focused and driven still - just wondering if he was winning in spite of Kavanagh instead of because of him?

Does Kavanagh have any other top rated guys in his gym?

McGregor will never beat Poirier at light weight.

Porier looks way more powerful.

145 favoured McGregor against Porier.

He should have retired after Cerone, it was the moment, he looked considerate etc.

Why should he retire?? He still has maybe 5 years fighting at the top level in front of him if he trains well and doesn’t go off the rails again. He makes about 10/15mil per fight, and has the goal to reclaim glory as motivation. Not to mention his other business’s will do better the more fights he is winning. There is still no other fighter who generates the buzz of last week main event, it would be a shame if he stopped giving us that. He has said many times he will never retire and fighting is his passion. (Obviously he will retire 1 day when Mother Nature catches up with him)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

"If he trains well and doesn't go off the rails again."

And who is going to keep him in check? Nobody. He's a narcissist and surrounds himself with yes men, including his coaches. He was won one fight since 2016. It will get to a stage where people will see the act for what it is because unless he starts fighting nobodies he's going to do well to win a fight against another top guy again.

Someone said earlier that after Alvarez that SBG should have been given money and told thanks. Never going to happen. Kavanagh and co tell him what he wants to hear. Besides, he made a big song and dance about TJ Dillashaw doing the same thing and took the piss out of Faber about it. He talks about staying loyal to his team etc. He decides to up sticks and leave then he give ammunition to all of those guys. Uniting Dillashaw and Faber would be some achievement in itself if that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

McGregor is literally broken, and his aura is well and truly gone.

He doesn't know if he should even trash talk anymore. Wasnt he 'nice, respectful McGregor' for Cormier 2? Now he's a nastly little knacker again.

He lost his focus and his hunger, which is understandable to an extent. He has a life of unimaginable luxury now, and those Marvin Hagler silk sheets.

I think he's lost a lot of support, and interest is waining. It would really be a tremendous effort to come back from here at 33 and make something happen. I don't think he has it in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

No, Kavanagh went from being a complete unknown coach to being a highly regarded and famous one purely because of McGregors fame.

The reality is Conor already joined his gym as a really good striker, and at that time, it was much more common for people to come from a grappling background than striking.

The only other really highly regarded fighter he coached was Gunnar Nelson, and he, like McGregor was just a phenom and a natural at grappling and already had a Karate background. He did most of his training in Iceland without John, and got his black belt from Renzo Gracie, instead of John.

The biggest problem with SBG is a lack of a high level striking coach.

No, Kavanagh went from being a complete unknown coach to being a highly regarded and famous one purely because of McGregors fame.

The reality is Conor already joined his gym as a really good striker, and at that time, it was much more common for people to come from a grappling background than striking.

The only other really highly regarded fighter he coached was Gunnar Nelson, and he, like McGregor was just a phenom and a natural at grappling and already had a Karate background. He did most of his training in Iceland without John, and got his black belt from Renzo Gracie, instead of John.

The biggest problem with SBG is a lack of a high level striking coach.

• Advertisement

That’s the thing though, the fact that a lot of people don't support him anymore actually doesn't matter. Now instead of tuning in to support him, they will tune in to cheer against him and hope he loses. There is still so many fights for him when he comes back that would be huge, such as Tony Ferguson, Justin Gaetche, Nate Diaz and RDA. He won't win the title again but he could definitely win some more fights and people will always tune in because he is always exciting to watch either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

He has one victory in five years. He is completely past his prime and will struggle against any top 10 LW.

whether he should retire or not is subjective to his goals - if he accepts he is now a journey man than play on but if he thinks he is anywhere near championship contention than he needs to call it quits.

undoubtedly his mentality is incredibly problematic too. threatening to murder someone after is inexcusable and once again applies further stigma to his sport.

equally, he is not active enough at the rate in which he is training, he doesn’t stay active enough to compete with the likes of poirer, Gaethje or Ollie etc

I think it's important to look at who he actually lost to though.

1) Khabib who has literally beat everyone and Mcgregor did better than most against him.

2) Floyd Mayweather, literally the best boxer of all time, and again Mcgregor actually didn't do too badly against him. Many high level boxing coaches give him props for his performance such Teddy Atlas and even Mike Tyson.

3) Dustin Porier, who is literally at the top of his game right now and the best in the division. You can't count Mcgregor out for losing to him. Max Holloway and Justin Gaetche also lost to him and nobody is counting them out.

I can still see McGregor beating Ferguson, RDA, Dan Hooker, Dariush, Nate etc. There is plenty of fights left for him.

Threatening to the kill the man for what reason exactly? He beat the living fcuk out off Conor in a sanctioned fight? He’s an idiot and a knacker, if any other fighter did that post fight they would be fined and likely investigated.

He doesn’t deserve a rematch with Dustin, he was completely outclassed and would’ve been stopped early in round two should he not of sustained the injury.

its disrespectful to the sport to take that much time off and think you can beat a fighter of Dustins level. He is definitely the best LW in the world.

Well this is the thing, he’s not active enough to compete with the elite guys. I don’t think he gets past Nate, Conor is a one round fighter and his inactivity will result in even worse cardiovascular conditioning than when he fought Nate in the first two. Similar with Tony, these guys are far too experienced and will let Conor through the first and dominate from there on out.

Conor is in it for the money, bigger pay cheques fighting the likes of Jake Paul etc - that’s where he will end up and it’s probably best for him too given his massive decline over the last 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

There are too many ways for him to lose now. Before all he had to worry about was wrestling and it was generally accepted that if the fight was a striking battle he would win or you'd need to exhaust him first before standing and trading with him. That's gone now, Dustin hurt him with the first real shot he landed, despite Conor having the round go perfectly up til that point, Dustin didn't need to wrestle and tire him out first. That's got to be a major concern for McGregor and his team.

The Alvarez performance was flawless but too much was read in to it as Eddie was a deer in the headlights, Conor wasn't light on his feet in that fight either but he didn't need to be. He's too slow and sluggish at LW. If he wants to win again against top opposition he needs to go back to FW, as difficult as it is for him to make the weight he's got the best nutritionists money can buy and if he's desperate enough to resurrect his career he'll do it. He'd probably get a title shot after one win at FW and it would be hard to bet against him winning the belt.

• Advertisement

He was dominated twice by porier.

He wont beat Diaz, he cant beat Porier. He was last good against Alvarez and that 5 years ago.

He will be 34 once recovered from the leg.

He sold the whiskey so why not go in a different direction.

Its over in the ufc, he should consider WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Anyone know how the Cormier 2 fight went? .........and the first one come to think of it

missed both ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

For real. It doesnt make any sense whatsoever, and it doesnt "save face" for him at all, it just makes him and his team seem completely incompetent. Why would your corner let you fight with a fractured leg, and why would you implement a kick heavy gameplan with said damaged leg?? Its just more excuses.

Because he went into training camp with a gameplan to use lots of kicks, which obviously meant throwing lots of kicks in the camp, and he probably hadn't done so in a while. He ended up getting a slight injury which happens most fighters while training. He didn't think the injury was bad enough to completely ditch the entire gameplan.

Mate he was getting beaten worse than in the first fight. Do you honestly think Conor would’ve beaten Dustin if he didn’t get injured? lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement