Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

It's quite windy here in Dublin 15 and some nasty scattered drizzling showers. I got a nice pasting on the way in to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Javiero

Round two...Ding Ding:D

just hope its not all hyped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Supercell wrote: »
    Just read MTC's daily forecast. Talk of blizzards, polar lows ,thundersnow :eek: , if it was anyone else they would be accused of ramping !! Time to batten down the hatches and stock up on essential beer!

Sorry I was referring to the unknown of Cork. I have no doubt that it will be as MT says :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

More thundersnow Woohooo!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Looking at weather reports and data from Scotland, the cold front is now crossing the English border. Temp if Fife dropped from 7c to 2c an around 90 minutes. Lashing with snow there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

whatabout wrote: »
    is eastern donegal-stranorlar,still on for alot of snow-more or less than what was given last night or are we not really affected?thanks
    You will have plenty of snow by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭livdmg

Very windy and blustery up here in donegal no snow as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

RTE Radio 1 forecast pretty useless. very vague. spoke generally about the period Sat - Tues. When you compare to MT's level of detail....

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thoscon

have a busy day tomorrow...am i reading it right that meath wont get snow till tomorrow nite or saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Supercell wrote: »
    Just read MTC's daily forecast. Talk of blizzards, polar lows ,thundersnow :eek: , if it was anyone else they would be accused of ramping !! Time to batten down the hatches and stock up on essential beer!

yeah, looking forward to a good thundersnow booze up tomorrow night at home.....booze, snow and boards, what a combo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Nothing in Glasgow yet, but the radar north of here looks very messy. We had absolute snow carnage on the city's motorways last Monday to Wednesday which ended up with the Transport Minister resigning and a whole new emergency procedure being put in place. Looks like today will be its first test. So I'm going to get myself out the door to work in the next 10 minutes before this hits here...just hope I'll be able to get home this evening.

Also I have the joy of a relaxing evening drive from Glasgow to Mayo tomorrow night, cant wait for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Light shower in Scotland Dublin today :-

139644.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

It's just started snowing in Glasgow as per my cousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

the bbc website weather graphics for once look great for cork and also the nedbor on the dmi website - http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm.

maybe just maybe we might get a pasting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Rte radio one covering snow pattern very soon

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Snowing here*, nice big flakes and getting heavier!

*I'm in Edinburgh and I hope I can make it home tomorrow :eek:

Lol that chap from the dept of geography in nui Galway just finished on radio one knows nothing of weather..he says this is ending on wenesday and we are in a 3 yr cycle and back to global warming next winter :rolleyes:

Are they going out of their way to make us calm?

Some people are in for a bit of a shock/pleasant surprise depending on your point of view...
    I was in tesco in arklow this morning and heard 2 people saying .."ah shur thats only in the north and west.."

Initially yes but they are typical of the national mis information coming out of the airwaves at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Lol that chap from the dept of geography in nui Galway just finished on radio one knows nothing of weather..he says this is ending on wenesday and we are in a 3 yr cycle and back to global warming next winter :rolleyes:

Some people are in for a bit of a shock/pleasant surprise depending on your point of view...
    I was in tesco in arklow this morning and heard 2 people saying .."ah shur thats only in the north and west.."

Initially yes but they are typical of the national mis information coming out of the airwaves at the moment.

Will be interested to see what the 06z GFS says

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

With 9c here and strong winds coming off the Atlantic it's hard to believe an Arctic invasions is on its way.

It's easy to see how years ago before met eireann or mass communications how most people would have been caught out by such events. They must have been freaky to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Nothing would suprise me after the infamous Donegal (and Mayo) snow forecast a few years ago - I drove across the county the day it was meant to arrive and there wasn't even a snow flake on the mountains here, yet the national radio stations were reporting that there had been "2 feet of snow in Mayo".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

inabina wrote: »
    RTE Radio 1 forecast pretty useless. very vague. spoke generally about the period Sat - Tues. When you compare to MT's level of detail....

Her forecast wasn't useless, she called it fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The council down here in Co.Wexford must have the same attitude-they gritted the roads around Enniscorthy yesterday evening even though the temperature stayed at around 5c.They've nearly run out of salt and conserving what they have so why don't they listen to the weather forecast and use it when it's actually cold?
    Raining here now in Enniscorthy and windy,ME forecast this for later today,seems it's rushing through quicker than they expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

met.ie

Cold and windy today. Rain this morning, falling as sleet in places and possibly as snow on high ground. But snow and hail showers will develop over Ulster and north Connacht and will turn heavy and possibly thundery at times with snow accumulating in places. Mid afternoon temperatures of 1 to 5 C., in a stiff northwest wind.

Tonight

Very cold and icy tonight with further heavy and possibly thundery snow showers at times. These most frequent over the north and west, with some drifting possible on high ground, but some are likely elsewhere too, a few heavy. Lowest temperatures zero to -3 degrees and feeling colder in the brisk northwesterly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Can anyone give a brief summary of the forecast for South Munster? There seems to be a lot of emphasis on Leinster!! When are the next models due out? Has there been a bit of a downgrade overnight?

Sorry about all the questions!!

The excelent Tomaz Shafanaker is on duty on BBC news 24 now and has done a very good and informative forecast just now.
    Highlights include the obvious pasting of ulster and Connaught but also clare and Kerry and wait for it most of Cork including the City.
    By Saturday,his graphics showed snow over the East of the country
    Everything everywhere would be falling as snow he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

6.3c here and a little breezey about 50% cloud cover. Agree with other posters .. if you didnt know this was coming you would think it was going to be quite a nice day:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

irish1967 wrote: »
    6.3c here and a little breezey about 50% cloud cover. Agree with other posters .. if you didnt know this was coming you would think it was going to be quite a nice day:o

It is going to be a "nice" day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The excelent Tomaz Shafanaker is on duty on BBC news 24 now and has done a very good and informative forecast just now.
    Highlights include the obvious pasting of ulster and Connaught but also clare and Kerry and wait for it most of Cork including the City.
    By Saturday,his graphics showed snow over the East of the country
    Everything everywhere would be falling as snow he said.

Thanks Black Briar - much appreciated! I must have ye all driven mad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

leahyl wrote: »
    Can anyone give a brief summary of the forecast for South Munster? There seems to be a lot of emphasis on Leinster!! When are the next models due out? Has there been a bit of a downgrade overnight?

Sorry about all the questions!!

06Z models will start about 9:30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

leahyl wrote: »
    Thanks Black Briar - much appreciated! I must have ye all driven mad:D

The rules are that the snow in Cork will melt after 10 minutes.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement