Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Really love position of Reckless in Love stage this year. Big improvement on last few years.

Talos were fantastic on main stage this evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Here since early... settled in nicely now!

Is there any hassle going out to the cars and getting back in? If forecast is bad for Sun night we might pack up Sun morning and come back in for a sober day until it gets too wet in the evening then drive home...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Asprilla

Driving down to collect my brother and his mates from this on Sunday evening. Wheres the easiest spot to pick someone up from?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Asprilla wrote: »
    Driving down to collect my brother and his mates from this on Sunday evening. Wheres the easiest spot to pick someone up from?

I think theres only one private car pickup/parking and thats on the athboy/ crowenstown side.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Make sure to check your change from vendors folks. Twice theyve tried to give the wrong change back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Asprilla wrote: »

There's only the 1 way in to the car park, just follow the signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Make sure to check your change from vendors folks. Twice theyve tried to give the wrong change back

This happened to me a few times and others last year. Both the bars and stalls, there was talk about it on the thread. Sad to see it happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kwat

Presume the Sunday entrance is the same one?
    Obviously no weekend bags to be checked so just making sure people don’t have their own drinks / glass on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

kwat wrote: »
    Presume the Sunday entrance is the same one?
    Obviously no weekend bags to be checked so just making sure people don’t have their own drinks / glass on them?

Correct presumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

Had to leave early as start a new job on Tuesday. Great weekends craic but the line up was very weak for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Dream Wife were amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Whipping Boy

How was the crowd? Heard one report that it was noticeably quieter this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

Decent enough crowd I thought. Big crowds for kkc and the k & d. Reckless in love and Hennessey were pretty full Fri and Sat. It was comfortable. Nice crowd. No hassle anywhere. I did notice the campervan area less packed. Could park at ease and put awning out with no bother. Normally they would be directing you in pretty tight together.

Had to leave early as start a new job on Tuesday. Great weekends craic but the line up was very weak for the price.

Congrads on the job! Yeah its annoying to have to leave early but such is the reality. Work is the curse of the drinking class!

Yeah lineup wasnt great for the money. Maybe they will reduce the price next year from the get go, rather than increasing them up to 210 before selling reduced price sat and sun tickets!

Hard to say. The campsites seemed to be full without people camping on top of each other, but thats similar to last year. Felt like there were less people at the main stage bar for KKC. Very easy to get around, easy to get a good viewing spot at most if not all gigs, small queues for food and no queues at all for the bar!

The million dollar question is whether this means it was quiet this year or whether this was exactly the right amount of people and its every other festival that is over packed!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Interesting. I’ve been every other year since 2014 (I think) and there was definitely some years where it was wedged.

I’m hoping we month see an improved lineup on the back of poor sales but we’ll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

They posted on Facebook that they apparently sold out, so there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

MJohnston wrote:
    They posted on Facebook that they apparently sold out, so there's that.
    I think that was just the Sunday tickets. Definitely a lot less people than other years.
    Also cut back on areas and a lot less traders. Festival is scaling music back, no acts on main stage till Sat evening and debates on other stages during the day. Also on artists.
    Good to see Reckless stage in main area. And confidence man were great.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

anyone able to find the event licence online? I was told that it was 10k capacity this year, rather than 15k in previous years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Body and soul deleting all the comments of people questioning their Sold out status.

Fake news merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

B&S emailed me Saturday night at 7:30pm trying to sell me tickets to Sunday.
    They emailed me Friday night around 7pm trying to sell me reduced price Sat & Sun tickets and the day before (Thursday) trying to sell me reduced price full weekend tickets.

This doesn't sound like an event that sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

Really did seem underpopulated this year, a lot of the acts had barely any people gathered around them. Overall there weren't many queues or crowds for anything, even the Us&You campsite had enough room for plenty of extra tents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Was anyone at Modeselektor? Really enjoying it but the two power cuts just killed it. A lot of people left while we were waiting for them to come back on. The crowd really thinned out. Just as they are building up to something... complete silence and no lights for what felt like 10 mins but probably closer to 5.

Modeselktor dealt with it really well but it wasnt great. Headliners at the main stage on Saturday night too...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pedrozeno

I was down by the main stage for Mashrou' Leila on Friday and there was about 100 people there. It was way quieter than last year. Lots of spaces in the Us & You site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I'm just reading this and this has been prevalent for a few years, artists on late on the main stage and very few at it, for a few years they haven't taken the importance of lineup seriously and got away with it cause it still sold out. By no means am I against Avant garde and challenging music but i got really tired of them pushing these artists cause of their social agenda rather than them actually having any musical substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

First time at B&S, really enjoyed the weekend but as others said the line-up wasn't great. Also found it to be very heavy on DJ sets over live musicians... much preferred the variety at Electric Picnic.

The main plus for B&S though was being allowed to bring your own booze anywhere, no queuing for searches and generally being left to explore the whole site without hassle - found the festival crew generally very sound.

I had a great time! Was a quick one for us as we left pretty early Sunday to avoid the rain. I liked the smaller site, bringing Reckless in Love inside was a great move. Preferred the lineup this year to last years' also, and highlights for me were Ibibio, Pillow Queens, and KKC. Modeselektor were also excellent, but as noted above, the two audio outages really killed the buzz. One would have been okay, but the second was a death blow. They recovered well, but the moment was lost.

If Body and Soul is to keep going, I think they should scale back a little bit more again. Aim for a lower capacity, offer day tickets from the start, with better loyalty discounts, and hit a bit of a reset. Maybe drop Friday as a main stage thing and keep it ancillary only. The financial and commercial might of EP and ATN is going to flatten the rest of the Irish festival scene over the next couple of years, and I'd rather see B&S hibernate or scale back than get taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

They should be ashamed, they milked people for their money with lies about it almost selling out and to charge that price, while scaling it back like that.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    They should be ashamed, they milked people for their money with lies about it almost selling out and to charge that price, while scaling it back like that.

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Stillill42

GooglePlus wrote: »

You're probably grown up enough to decide yourself whether that line-up, available to read to all and sundry for quite a while now, is worth the money or not. Did you base your attendance on the presumption that it was nearly sold out? You seem to feel you were tricked in some way, which is strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

Well I thought it was fantastic and I have been to all 10.The Blaze was the gig of the weekend, absolutely beautiful music / performance / visuals, and even the rain could not dampen the spirits. KKK , Ibibio Sound Machine & Mano Le Tough were also fantastic (delighted to finally catch Mano now that Maeve takeover finally gave alloted times to each DJ . Mother brought the fun and the Sing along Social was super craic also. Yes there was less traders, but the food quality and choice was good. Yes the site was smaller, but that made it easier to get around. The new Reckless location was a major improvement, Hennesy in the garden was also an improvement. I thought moving the talks to the woods worked as well. Very nice security ( as always) . For a small independent festival I think they did very well. Oh and I dont know why anyone would complain about the lineup when they have had months to decide if they liked the acts or not. Anyway if Avril or Jenny read this , thanks so much. Less Bodies more Soul!
    xx Noreen Lara xx

Advertisement