Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people boast about not watching RTÉ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

In fairness I'd argue that showing Mass and Divine Service is part of it's public service remit. My exes father has been unwell for some time and like many older people his religion is important to him so being able to "attend" Sunday Service via RTE brings him comfort and pleasure.

A few churches do live streams now. Let the pious get their comfort there.

Last thing we need is the classic RTÉ “balance” and end up having Jewish and Islamic services broadcast as well.

God has no place in State broadcasting.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

For people who don't watch RTE may I ask where do you get your Irish news from ?

Commercial TV ?
    Commercial radio ?
    Newspapers and their online presence ?

A variety of sources.

I've nothing against RTE and i occasionally watch it but I can't think of a time where I found out anything new through RTE or heard an opinion that was different to anything I'd heard/read already.

Do you think that you need RTÉ to be informed, engaged and capable of engaging in public discourse?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    they are just self hating Irish people usually, RTE is Irish so they pretend not to watch it.

So much truth in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

In fairness I'd argue that showing Mass and Divine Service is part of it's public service remit. My exes father has been unwell for some time and like many older people his religion is important to him so being able to "attend" Sunday Service via RTE brings him comfort and pleasure.

Personally I disagree that it's part of the public remit to spread outdated superstition.

Also given the horrendous abuse and damage caused by the Catholic cult, I think it's astonishing and disheartening to see our public broadcaster still facilitating them.

However I do not/will not ever be watching it, so while I completely disagree with broadcasting mass, I'm not the type to go around looking to be outraged, so if aul Jim or Mary wants mass, let them have mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

RTE's coverage of issues is hopelessly biased.

E.g., if the topic of Travellers comes up, RTE will represent them as victims of settled society, air a few sob stories, interview someone from Pavee Point who will say "ethnic minority" a dozen times, and then call for more spending on this or that to benefit them.

100% guaranteed that RTE will make no mention of Traveller criminality, feuding, bare-knuckle fighting, anti-social behaviour, marrying off girls to their cousins at 16, etc. No mention of how elderly people in rural Ireland have been terrorized by Traveller gangs.

Numerous issues are whitewashed in the same way.

RTE is not objective, and should not be trusted to engage the public in an honest, balanced dialogue. Everything is slanted towards their own insular D4 point of view, and anyone with a contrary opinion rarely gets a look in.
    This.

I would imagine that if RTE provided us with impartial reporting then there would be some sympathy from the general public for their cause, and some might even support their TV License fee increase request.
    But they are so obviously liberally biased in their reporting and the way they give us the liberal slant in pretty much all news items is nothing but a disservice to the people in this country that have to pay for RTE hierarchy views.

Because of this disservice, I would like to see RTE shut down completely, and rebooted as a service that the people of Ireland want, and not what the executive board of RTE believe we should have.

• Advertisement

So much truth in this.

I'm absolutely brilliant at pretending not to watch RTE, I'm so dedicated to pretending that I actually stopped watching it for real!

It's been tough, I'm missing so many quality programs but I gotta keep this ruse going dammit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Better presenters, less nepotism, better documentaries and I’ll start watching again. I had the popcorn out practically rewatching retro LLS debates this week. That can be replicated with the right talent. Not Tubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Bowlardo wrote: »
    RTE claim they are losing out €50 million a year on unpaid fees

It's worth noting that RTE arrives at that €50 million figure by adding together the households that don't have a TV with the households that have a TV but evade the licence fee.

This is disingenuous maths. Households without a TV are not required to pay the licence, and so this should not be calculated as revenue "lost" to RTE.

Better presenters, less nepotism, better documentaries and I’ll start watching again. I had the popcorn out practically rewatching retro LLS debates this week. That can be replicated with the right talent. Not Tubs.

Tubridy is just awful, I honestly didn't think RTE could get worse than Pat Kenny when it comes to hosting a light entertainment chat show but fairplay to them, somehow they done it.

At least Kenny had cringe, fish out of water moments that made him inadvertently funny, but Tubridy is just nothing, crickets and tumbleweed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

When Francis is dropped off in the jungles of Borneo with nothing but a piece of flint and his own instincts for a compass then my fee will be justified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I don't watch RTE because it is only a leftwing propaganda channel, continuously virtue signalling on some new hip issue and pontificating non stop to people who are stupid enough to believe what they are told. It should closed down and got rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Every time a discussion about RTÉ comes up, you’ll get the usual types who say ‘I just watch Netflix’, can nobody see how bad this is for society?
    It’s important to have an engaged public, a public who cares about what’s happening in the country, whose engaged in some way in public discourse and one important medium this can be achieved is through a national broadcaster.
    It was a much more interesting time when people actually were engaged in what was going on, and not just consumed by the latest binge series viewing on Netflix(which is ****e btw)

RTE isnt what it used to be, years ago it used to have great content and gave a space to creative people from all walks of life.
    RTE became very notiony the last couple of years, reduced the quality of service, pushed out the creative people, refuse to try anything new, pay their presenters hundreds of thousands each every year, introduced licence fees which theyve forced on the public and now theyre whinging like self entitled bullies that they have no money because some people wont pay the license fee.
    Its total self entitlement and narcissism and who ever is in charge and making these demands need to cop on to themselves as its all greed.

I don't 'boast' about not watching RTE, I genuinely do not watch it and shockingly still know whats going on in Ireland and the rest of the world, there are many, many other mediums in which to find out about current events such as facebook and youtube which give more accurate accounts of whats going on in the world.

Not to mention that the majority of RTE staff are employed through nepotism and connections, nothing to do with talent, creativity or ability.

RTE put the nail in their own coffin along time ago. I for one wont be sad to see the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A variety of sources.

I've nothing against RTE and i occasionally watch it but I can't think of a time where I found out anything new through RTE or heard an opinion that was different to anything I'd heard/read already.

Do you think that you need RTto be informed, engaged and capable of engaging in public discourse?

No I don't.

But I find it odd that people claim to never watch/listen/read etc RTE and get their news etc from elsewhere

What's the benefit of ignoring a well established local news source like RTE ?

Personally I don't think these people that claim to never watch or listen to RTE actually exist, or at least are very few and far between.

As another poster alluded to it is in fact some sort of badge of honor that some use to try and convince themselves that they are too sophisticated for a local state owned broadcaster that has programming that tries to appeal to a broad audience as part of their public service obligation.

Wolf of Wall Street is on RTE2 tonight.
    I know it's probably on Netflix at the touch of a button right now, but I think I'll sit down and watch it.

RTE isnt what it used to be, years ago it used to have great content and gave a space to creative people from all walks of life.
    RTE became very notiony the last couple of years, reduced the quality of service, pushed out the creative people, refuse to try anything new, pay their presenters hundreds of thousands each every year, introduced licence fees which theyve forced on the public and now theyre whinging like self entitled bullies that they have no money because some people wont pay the license fee.
    Its total self entitlement and narcissism and who ever is in charge and making these demands need to cop on to themselves as its all greed.

I don't 'boast' about not watching RTE, I genuinely do not watch it and shockingly still know whats going on in Ireland and the rest of the world, there are many, many other mediums in which to find out about current events such as facebook and youtube which give more accurate accounts of whats going on in the world.

Not to mention that the majority of RTE staff are employed through nepotism and connections, nothing to do with talent, creativity or ability.

RTE put the nail in their own coffin along time ago. I for one wont be sad to see the back of it.

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Bob24 wrote: »
    If you are suggesting to make every household liable no matter what, then it is not a discussion about collecting unpaid fees anymore, but one about extending liability it a new ground of people - very different.

It’s a bit like that already though. I have a couple of TV’s but no subscriptions other then prime and Netflix. Obviously I don’t watch RTE because I don’t have it yet I’m still liable for a licence.

We’re well beyond the point where everyone with a TV has just 4 channels and is automatically liable. The current system made sense in those days but it’s not fit for purpose any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

[/b]

No I don't.

But I find it odd that people claim to never watch/listen/read etc RTE and get their news etc from elsewhere

The OP said that people who don't watch RTÉ are not engaged or informed and can't be engaged in public discourse (or words to that effect). That's patently not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It’s a bit like that already though. I have a couple of TV’s but no subscriptions other then prime and Netflix. Obviously I don’t watch RTE because I don’t have it yet I’m still liable for a licence.

We’re well beyond the point where everyone with a TV has just 4 channels and is automatically liable. The current system made sense in those days but it’s not fit for purpose any more.

No it isn’t like that, there are many people who are legally not paying the TV licence because they don’t have a TV (and I’d say than number is growing).

In your case you could (and really should) replace your TVs by monitors and/or projectors and you would legally stop having to pay for the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha

Why is that so funny?

There a many credible sources online that are independent of RTE.

Simon Community of Ireland and Treshold Ireland post articles, interviews and videos on homelessness in Ireland, the causes, solutions, government debates, figures and first hand accounts.
    They post the same amount of resources and information about the housing crisis.

There are plenty of Political parties, TD's and journalists online who post about current events.

I follow many news sources and national radio stations including a local radio station which are independent from RTE - all which post news stories and podcasts daily.

Youtube has thousands of podcasts which focus on Irelands history, news, current events and include engaging and in depth interviews with journalists, TD's, people directly involved with or effected by the topic being discussed.

Im very interested in local and world events, I dont rely on RTE to get information about whats going on the world and in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

A few churches do live streams now. Let the pious get their comfort there.

Last thing we need is the classic RTÉ “balance” and end up having Jewish and Islamic services broadcast as well.

God has no place in State broadcasting.

Churches may well do live streaming but not everyone is in a position either technically or financially to receive such services.
    Personally I'd have no issue with Jewish or Islamic services being broadcast especially on their high holidays, but that's just me being a wishy washy liberal.
    Also since Mass or Divine Service are generally broadcast on Sunday morning it's probably only the elderly or housebound watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

[/b]
    Personally I don't think these people that claim to never watch or listen to RTE actually exist, or at least are very few and far between.

Lots of people do and you know this. I don't have time to sit and watch the news so I just read the news online for free. Most young people I know only ever watch rte when their visiting their parents. Rte doesn't have anything that's essential anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Bob24 wrote: »
    No it isn’t like that, there are many people who are legally not paying the TV licence because they don’t have a TV (and I’d say than number is growing).

In your case you could (and really should) replace your TVs by monitors and/or projectors and you would legally stop having to pay for the licence.

I could but that would be another expense and we’ll all be paying a device charge within the next few years anyway.

All this “news” at the moment is just applying the lubricant for it..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Raconteuse wrote: »
    In fairness, at 7.99 a month it's hardly shyte. You're doing the same regarding Netflix.

i think it's gone up to a tenner
    Ye but RTE has Pulling With My Parents and Sunday Mass :-)

i actually watched an episode of the former once! it was better than i thought it was going to be

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Greyfox wrote: »
    Rte doesn't have anything that's essential anymore.

I don't see the value of RTE, apart from the odd hit like "Love/Hate".
    There are programs that have local interest, but maybe they should be the equivalent of cable TV in America and on low budget channels maybe even YouTube channels.

In fact, why should the taxpayer even pay for Tg4 ?

Have a referendum to write off the Irish language and switch to English.
    It would save hundreds of thousands if not millions to let it go and admit it's a dead language.

Why is that so funny?

There a many credible sources online that are independent of RTE.

Simon Community of Ireland and Treshold Ireland post articles, interviews and videos on homelessness in Ireland, the causes, solutions, government debates, figures and first hand accounts.
    They post the same amount of resources and information about the housing crisis.

There are plenty of Political parties, TD's and journalists online who post about current events.

I follow many news sources and national radio stations including a local radio station which are independent from RTE - all which post news stories and podcasts daily.

Youtube has thousands of podcasts which focus on Irelands history, news, current events and include engaging and in depth interviews with journalists, TD's, people directly involved with or effected by the topic being discussed.

Im very interested in local and world events, I dont rely on RTE to get information about whats going on the world and in this country.

The organisations you just mentioned are tennants advocacy groups.
    Their social media feeds will promote stories that support their view.
    They won't be promoting stories of over staying tennants, landlords costs etc.

So they are not an independent news source.

It's called a filter bubble, and we are all falling into it, no matter how hard we try and claim not to be.

I'm not saying RTE are the gold standard or anything I just find it odd that people (those who claim never to watch/listen etc to RTE) would totally ignore it as a news source when it is local and free to access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

storker wrote: »
    I don't even know anyone who thinks like this. I suspect that people who watch no or very little RTE don't watch it because with so much choice available, that's just how their viewing tends to work out. I wouldn't assume either that people are boasting they say how little they watch RTE.
    Ah it's more of an internet pattern, but there's a real infantile "badge of honour" thing going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

For people who don't watch RTE may I ask where do you get your Irish news from ?

Commercial TV ?
    Commercial radio ?
    Newspapers and their online presence ?

The radio a bit, mostly online news. I don't actively not watch RTE its just not available.
    I cancelled the TV because we just weren't watching it, and it became so expensive.
    I can't use the RTE Player because it just crashes constantly. Its unusable. Has been since they first launched it.
    Can't get a good signal on Saorview. I'd need to put in an Ariel and new wiring. So I just haven't bothered.

I think RTE occasionally have good shows. At some point I might put in a proper Free2Air system.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Lots of people do and you know this. I don't have time to sit and watch the news so I just read the news online for free. Most young people I know only ever watch rte when their visiting their parents. Rte doesn't have anything that's essential anymore.

I use the RTE news app on my phone a lot more than I watch the news on RTE Tv.

But I'm still using/consuming RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I watch RTE for News, documentaries, the odd film, the weather report and a few other bits and pieces. If you have seen news programmes from a lot of other countries, you'll realise how good RTE's news coverage is in comparison. American news coverage is appalling, as an example. TG4 has occasionally got some good programmes (Fiorsceal) but is too Republican-orientated for me (far too much stuff about IRA or Shinners, for what is supposed to be an island-wide station). RTE 2 is a bit pointless. RTE's sports coverage varies from barely there to fantastic, depending on what you fancy watching. I'd prefer to have RTE than not, but it needs a serious shakeup, to remain relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Ah it's more of an internet pattern, but there's a real infantile "badge of honour" thing going on.

Very Irish to shoot the messenger alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres very few tv programs made based in ireland , that are not made
    by rte ,
    eg comedy,s , drama,s ,documentarys, if you want to watch irish soccer,rugby, programs in irish you ahve to watch rte .
    Not everyone has cable tv,or sky tv,
    buy a saorview reciever rte and certain channels are free to air .
    i understand c4 and bbc 1 northern ireland make programs based in ireland too.
    you cannot even watch bbc iplayer now unless you log in with a user id,
    to show you live in the uk.
    Yes i understand rte is now like the bbc very politically correct and slightly
    left wing.
    Also rte show many american and uk drama,s /comedys
    i listen to radio newstalk and rte1 radio ,
    i have
    no interest in watching tv news .
    I read news online,
    we are in the age of info overload,
    there,s loads of news online ,podcast,s ,youtube videos .
    and its free .
    I don,t think anyone under 30 buys newspapers .
    RTE is competing with bbc and itv, c4, sky,
    they do not have the money to make high quality drama,s ,comedys,
    on the scale of uk broadcasters .
    And you can watch loads of program,s
    on rte.ie player free.
    in The last 4 years rte presenters pay gone down by 45 per cent.

I understand if you have cable tv or sky tv,you have 300 channels
    you may never bother to watch rte unless you want to watch gaa, irish rugby sports or
    documentarys made in ireland .
    its cool to say i just watch bbc and c4 , uk or american tv
    rte tv has never been cool .
    its aimed at a wide audience.

Advertisement