Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Aldi Planning in Dunshaughlin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

CUCINA wrote: »
    The longer this drags on, the more I dislike (polite word!) Supervalue...
    "Supervalue" ...what a misnomer.

Believe me this sort of tripe is why they will never see a red cent from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

Aldi had already planned on starting next year anyway as they were already expecting the appeal.
    Anyway the appeal has no facts or backup and has already been rejected by Co Meath so Supervalu.

It is the repeat story that the Aldi in Trim.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not a bit surprised, Supervalu blocks/objects everything that comes near the village.

Most people I know drive to Clonee or Ashbourne to shop in Lidl/Aldi, many save close to 100 euros per month compared to shopping at Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭maik3n

It may or may not be a good sign but one of these counters/trackers was put in along the road, outside the euro shop during the week?

th_932072157_4117878_1b32618c_122_116lo.jpg

Perhaps they are checking traffic flow for the new ALDI store. :cool:
    Then again, maybe it's just a random check up by the NRA. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

There's also those NRA counters on the way into ratoath from N2/Ashbourne so it's prob nothing to do with Aldi etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Anyone here anything about a Lidl going at the back of Bannon Auctioneers somewhere?
    Just heard it last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Just outside Trim too.

Maysa07 wrote: »
    Anyone here anything about a Lidl going at the back of Bannon Auctioneers somewhere?

Thought that talk was about a Tesco Express around 2013 which never materialised.......

Galego wrote: »
    Thought that talk was about a Tesco Express around 2013 which never materialised.......
    Yes, there was plenty of talk over the years about all sorts of shops getting build in that location. A friend who attended the local Chamber heard about Lidl rumour.

Yes, there was plenty of talk over the years about all sorts of shops getting build in that location. A friend who attended the local Chamber heard about Lidl rumour.
    They had an application withdrawn back in 2007.
    http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/DA60589/0
    I couldnt see the town being able to hold SuperValu, Aldi and Lidl, right? No enough population I'd think.....

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard anything?

Decision is due today according to the An Bord Pleanala.

Has anyone heard anything?

Decision is due today according to the An Bord Pleanala.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/246830.htm

Case is due to be decided by 27-11-2016

They granted permission originally with 23 conditions and they took on board but ultimately rejected the further objections from Express check out.
    So we should hopefully *expect it to go through.

*Mind you, most people thought Trump would lose so anything is possible. :P

Lidl bought that site.........so yes your friend heard the right thing. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Isn't today decision day re the Planning Board re Aldi?

Anyone heard anything?

CUCINA wrote: »
    Isn't today decision day re the Planning Board re Aldi?

Anyone heard anything?

Yes today according to the website.

hehe, we have a large group of sheep in the field at the moment, lol.
    Hopefully they are helping out with some Natural grass cutting in preparation for the proper building works? :D

It's due "by close of business today" , fingers crossed.

Can anyone confirm whether what I read is correct?

I read somewhere, dated back to 2010, that Aldi had purchased that site back then.

Do they already own the site?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Can anyone confirm whether what I read is correct?

I read somewhere, dated back to 2010, that Aldi had purchased that site back then.

Do they already own the site?

I heard back in 2010 that Lidl tried to build in Dunshaughlin near the industrial estate and with plenty of Supervalu objections it got turned down. Looks like Lidl are going to try for a second time near Bannon's, beside the bus stop. Let's see how that works out.

If todays appeal fails then I guess Dunshaughlin is a lost cause for any supermarket trying to enter the town. Finger's crossed the County Council see's the light and stop's these stupid objections from Supervalu which has held development back in Dunshaughlin for almost 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If todays appeal fails then I guess Dunshaughlin is a lost cause for any supermarket trying to enter the town. Finger's crossed the County Council see's the light and stop's these stupid objections from Supervalu which has held development back in Dunshaughlin for almost 20 years.
    get the local councilors onto it, if it gets refused permission again...

Decision has come and apparently has been refused! :-(
    I should have bought my house somewhere else.....

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

Where did you hear that? All I can see on the Bord Pleanala website is that it's been decided but outcome not out until tomorrow. So annoyed if it's refused. The village needs an alternative to Supervalu and would be good for bringing people back into the village to shop

I saw it here....but I am not sure where they heard it from themselves....
    https://www.facebook.com/dunsalert/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Absolute joke!! That Super Valu is an absolute rip off. Ill be taking my business elsewhere from now. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Decision can be appealed to abp?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Decision can be appealed to abp?

That's the stage it's at

It is hard to believe that investments are being turned down in a town which has 75% of units emptied in the main street......gutted with this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Outraged and disgusted with this decision...if it is true that the application has failed.
    No more polite words, I HATE Supervalue and I am vowing never to spend another cent in that place.

Bad, bad news for Dunshaughlin in general...

What to do now...I feel like picketing outside SV, or doing something just short of illegal as a protest. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

I wrote to Thomas Byrne. Can we all do it so put some pressure on our TD?
    Apparently, turned down on the basis of access........

Advertisement