Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Last Stop wrote: »
    The original post suggested going the full distance to the northern line. What you’re talking about now is completely different.

No, you just failed to understand what I was saying and jumped to a very conclusion that makes no logical sense!

Why in gods name would anyone run a train through km's of empty fields to get to R+L, when the point of all this is to build lots of new housing.

My OP specifically mentioned building new towns around Metro stops, clearly that wouldn't apply to Lusk. I only mentioned Lusk to point out it is roughly the same distance as Bray and how many km's of empty fields are available for development north of Swords, but still within reasonable distance of the city.
    I would be against cherrywood and Luas to Bray if there was acres of undeveloped land closer to the city. Swords had plenty of development space for example as does Ballymun.

And yet, Cherrywood is currently being developed. There is land closer to the city, but not that much, not without knocking existing homes which unfortunately won't happen. At least not for now.

Well planned new towns, built around quality public transport infrastructure is the second best option. Eventually we will probably need to do both.

I agree that of course we should be focused on Swords and Ballymun (and Cherrywood, etc.) But I'm looking beyond 10 years from now, when they are already done and we are trying to house the next 100,000 people.
    Most metro systems are designed for 80km. Why would you go against industry standards?

No there not, I've no idea where you get that from!
    Between R+L and Donabate, a DART could easily do 100km

LOL no it wouldn't. And why are you talking about R+L, we are talking about Metrolink here and how it is likely to be extended in future.
    Why would it be a horrible waste of money. No houses but a heavy rail connection to the airport meaning you could run trains from anywhere in the country offering far greater connectivity!!!
    That would be a great investment.

It will never happen. It has little benefit.

The Northern Line and Connolly are already way overcongested and this would just make it work for little or no benefit.

Extending Metrolink to Donabate would have the dual benefit of opening up new areas for housing, while taking pressure of the Northern line and giving folks an alternative into the city, while also giving them a connection the airport. A much more sensible option IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

I'm just going to ask what everyone's thinking. What does R+L mean? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

ncounties wrote: »
    I'm just going to ask what everyone's thinking. What does R+L mean? :confused:

Rush and Lusk im guessing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we restrict discussion as per the title - Swords to Charlemont. The extension to Donabate belongs in the Dart Expansion thread.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

So any word on when a railway order will be lodged ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

So any word on when a railway order will be lodged ?

As per the April 2019 announcement, it'll be 2020 sometime.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

TII have issued a PIN for tender for a market consultation in relation to procurement for: design, construction, delivery, maintenance and operation of MetroLink.

It is anticipated that Metrolink will include the following design services and delivery works:
    • Underground Tunnelling, Stations, Portals, Ventilation / Intervention Shafts and associated works;
    • At-grade, Retained-Cut, Cut & Cover and Elevated Track, Stations and associated works;
    • Depot, Stabling, Operations Control Centre and Park and Ride facilities;
    • Rolling Stock, Platform Screen Doors, Signalling and associated works including a Public Private Partnership with operations below; and
    • Delivery, operations and maintenance management of all of the above for a period in the range, approximately, of 15 to 25 years from the operations commencement date.

This market consultation supersedes the earlier consultations in 2018, which were used to help guide decisions on the project to date. TII is issuing this PIN to invite interested parties to participate in a pre-tender consultation to enable TII to understand and progress with the most appropriate procurement strategy for the three main works and operations categories comprising:
    (1) Civil Engineering and Stations,
    (2) Linewide Systems and
    (3) Rolling Stock & Operations.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/156741/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

MJohnston wrote: »
    As per the April 2019 announcement, it'll be 2020 sometime.

Well yeah that was in April, it is now November. Just though there would be some whispers at this stage of something a bit more specific that "sometime in 20202, thanks for you help though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,742 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Mod: Can we restrict discussion as per the title - Swords to Charlemont. The extension to Donabate belongs in the Dart Expansion thread.

Thank you.

we're talking about extending the Metro to Donabate to meet the rail line there, I'd have said that's relevant to this thread more than the Dart thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

loyatemu wrote: »
    we're talking about extending the Metro to Donabate to meet the rail line there, I'd have said that's relevant to this thread more than the Dart thread.

The restriction was put in because of the many crayon wielding posters were coming up with extensions to various places both north and south.

I think it might be better, if you want, to start a new thread on this very point, because, although it is obvious, it does make sense to extend it, but other alternatives are possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

although it is obvious, it does make sense to extend it.

I agree with the suggestion to create a new thread because the above is an extremely debatable point

I agree with the suggestion to create a new thread because the above is an extremely debatable point

If you just want to discuss general Metrolink expansion, use this.

O
    If you open a new thread, make it specific to Swords to Donabate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I saw some structure and what looked like drilling on Hume Street today. Had Metrolink logo on the side of it. Anyone know what they're up to?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I saw some structure and what looked like drilling on Hume Street today. Had Metrolink logo on the side of it. Anyone know what they're up to?

I seen similar around the Garden of Rememberance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ground investigations, finding out exactly what's down there. They're going on the length of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

They've been going on for at least six months at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Upon seeing the RTÉ 6.1 News this evening.

A lot of the constituents in the Dublin Fingal constituency are talking about the Metrolink being delayed in Swords until 2027.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Upon seeing the RTÉ 6.1 News this evening.

A lot of the constituents in the Dublin Fingal constituency are talking about the Metrolink being delayed in Swords until 2027.

Don't think that's a delay, it's been due to open in 2027 since it was announced. Perhaps they're just complaining about that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Given that there isn't a solitary spade in ground at the moment and no plans to put one in until circa 2022. There's about 0% chance of metrolink being operational by 2027. Even in southern Europe you wouldn't get a project like this delivered in under 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/residents-combine-to-demand-metro-extension-to-firhouse-38742119.html

Just read this. Some interesting figures ...

Route it via grange golf club and build thousands of apartments on it. They should cpo the land at its current non residential value. Enough other golf clubs in the area !!!

• Advertisement

Not another effing reroute or redesign just build it for jaysis sake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

They really have no shame. "Demanding" that the Gov stump up the billions required to build them a Metro in priority to anyone else in the City because they are better than Bus Connects.

The reality is that as soon as the Gov rolls out the South West Metro, who's going to be front and centre in their opposition to the plan to build huge station boxes and, in the process, CPO houses, playing pitches, parking spaces...

Look at GADRA (representative of Rathgar, Terenure, Rathmines etc) which now says that Metros and people using them are bad for our health after it was said that the air quality on the London Underground isn't ideal...

Cllr Deirdre Conroy et al are professionals at ensuring that there is never a change from the status quo. They are professionals at saying that a Metro can be delivered in the same way that Bus Connects can and getting huge tracts of supportive column inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Kellyconor1982

donvito99 wrote: »
    They really have no shame. "Demanding" that the Gov stump up the billions required to build them a Metro in priority to anyone else in the City because they are better than Bus Connects.

The reality is that as soon as the Gov rolls out the South West Metro, who's going to be front and centre in their opposition to the plan to build huge station boxes and, in the process, CPO houses, playing pitches, parking spaces...

Look at GADRA (representative of Rathgar, Terenure, Rathmines etc) which now says that Metros and people using them are bad for our health after it was said that the air quality on the London Underground isn't ideal...

Cllr Deirdre Conroy et al are professionals at ensuring that there is never a change from the status quo. They are professionals at saying that a Metro can be delivered in the same way that Bus Connects can and getting huge tracts of supportive column inches.

Always thought that the site of Rathfarnham Shopping Centre would make an excellent metro station. Around the corner from Templeogue and centrally located in Rathfarnham. I'd put the next station on a greenfield site around Ballycullen where there would be plenty of new apartments and near knocklyon and firhouse. The other metro stations might be more complicated.

I definitely think there is a huge need for it in that area. I don't live around there but traffic is terrible in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Idbatterim wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/residents-combine-to-demand-metro-extension-to-firhouse-38742119.html

Just read this. Some interesting figures ...

Route it via grange golf club and build thousands of apartments on it. They should cpo the land at its current non residential value. Enough other golf clubs in the area !!!

Grange golf club is inside the walls of Marley demesne it would never happen. There’s lots of golf clubs because there’s lots of people that play golf.

salmocab wrote: »
    Grange golf club is inside the walls of Marley demesne it would never happen. There’s lots of golf clubs because there’s lots of people that play golf.
    Sorry I meant castle golf club

donvito99 wrote: »

Is it mad though ? I mean any other continental city and I’d assume they’d be delivering a metro to there... the issue is the chronic lack of funds spent on infrastructure here

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

When people talk about spurs (like this proposal and a seperate one for a spur on the Lucas into Fingal) I always wonder about the length of the line. What is an optimal length for a Metro? How long is too long?

It's safe to say our current tram lines are too long. They run into rural areas and do the job that heavy rail should.
    More suburban extensions solves nothing. The state
    Needs more capacity in central areas. A new Ringsend toSt James route and a new brownstone to Harold X or coolock to UCD is needed.

cgcsb wrote: »
    It's safe to say our current tram lines are too long. They run into rural areas and do the job that heavy rail should.
    More suburban extensions solves nothing. The state
    Needs more capacity in central areas. A new Ringsend toSt James route and a new brownstone to Harold X or coolock to UCD is needed.

If they just had the Green Line from SSG take the Red Line to Heuston, or the Red Line go down High St ans Lord Edward St and then go onto Parnell. Just short lengths of changes would increase the choices to get closer to one's destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

madbeanman wrote: »
    When people talk about spurs (like this proposal and a seperate one for a spur on the Lucas into Fingal) I always wonder about the length of the line. What is an optimal length for a Metro? How long is too long?

They're already too long. Within the M50 is the absolute max. And even then that's madness. The proposed Lucan plan has the tram heading through Ballyfermot and then doglegging up the Kylemore Road to meet the Red Line at the naas Road.

Have we some sort of allergy to maybe just going the more the direct route like say down the Con Colbert? I mean if you need to meet the Red Line, why not do it there and save everyone an interminable and pointless journey to Bluebell.

Anyway, thankfully this whole nonsense isn't going to happen.

Advertisement