Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-07-2018, 19:19   #16
Akrasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Gaoth Laidir
I don't think the location shown by Akrasia is the station. It's too close to the runway, is too far away from the Met Éireann coordinates, and it, too, doesn't have any rain guages. I think it's the midpoint RVR sensor for Runway 24. You can see two more similar installations at the touchdown zones either end of the runway.

The only place resembling a met station is that area I outlined, although I don't know why we can't see the rain gauges.
Its not much closer to the runway than the Dublin Airport site and it's pretty close to the location specified in the ghcn

But I vote we wait for our roving reporter to scout the area
Advertisement
03-07-2018, 19:30   #17
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
Its not much closer to the runway than the Dublin Airport site and it's pretty close to the location specified in the ghcn

But I vote we wait for our roving reporter to scout the area
It's about 88 m from the runway, the Dublin station is 500 m from the end of the runway.

The installation you highlighted is the midpoint RVR sensor. I'm 100% certain of it. Here's the airport diagram, showing it and the other two sensors (the kind of triangular icons).

http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/Published%20Files/AIP%20Files/AD/Chart%20Files/EINN/EI_AD_2_EINN_24-1_en.pdf

Last edited by Gaoth Laidir; 03-07-2018 at 19:34.
Thanks from:
03-07-2018, 19:59   #18
Sully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
Do it and we'll all chip in for a breakfast roll for ya.
I actually stumbled across the thread randomly but sure tell me what you want me to look for and where and I'll report back tomorrow
(2) thanks from:
03-07-2018, 20:03   #19
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
I actually stumbled across the thread randomly but sure tell me what you want me to look for and where and I'll report back tomorrow
If you could take a photo of what's on that little square of grass circled in blue over next to the golf course. We're looking for a selection of instruments, Stevenson screens, etc.

03-07-2018, 21:12   #20
JCX BXC

I've been there several times and never noticed a weather station anywhere. However I can say the photograph of the station is not the location where the car park is, most certainly not. The photo is south/sw of the airport terminal, the location beside the car park is east/north east of the terminal, and only the gates are visible from there. It's the location of the "Park4less" car park, in which I've actually been several times.

Working everyday for the next while, so won't get up this week! Sully can check it out!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-07-2018, 22:31   #21
compsys

At the 10pm reports, Dublin Airport is reporting 13c while Shannon is supposedly 22c!

Can't see how Shannon can be that warm (also can't understand how DA is always so cold at night either but that's for a different thread I guess).
03-07-2018, 22:37   #22
Donegal Storm

My best guess is that the station was previously on what is now a car park here

Looks like a terrible location for a station but it matches up with the thumbnail image

https://goo.gl/maps/UaFjjvL7Amy

OSI imagery from 2005 shows it was still grass then but has since been paved over.
(3) thanks from:
03-07-2018, 22:41   #23
mickmackey1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by compsys View Post
At the 10pm reports, Dublin Airport is reporting 13c while Shannon is supposedly 22c!

Can't see how Shannon can be that warm (also can't understand how DA is always so cold at night either but that's for a different thread I guess).
Well it was 26c at 9pm and I can confirm it's still ridiculously warm down Limerick way.
Thanks from:
03-07-2018, 22:45   #24
Just Saying

The area circled in blue is left of the 11th tee on the golf course.It is not near the main airport car park at all.I think the tarmac area is an old overflow car park.The road beside it is not accessible to the public I think...just airport security etc.The best way to access it would be to park in the golf club car park and walk across.
Advertisement
03-07-2018, 22:50   #25
Just Saying

I might have phrased that incorrectly.Its not far from the main airport car park but easiest access is from the golf course.
03-07-2018, 22:56   #26
Rougies

Good detective work there Donegal Storm, I'd 100% agree that's the location in the thumbnail image. Does that thicken the plot now, because it seems like they had no problem with a station near buildings and tarmac in the past.

Last edited by Rougies; 03-07-2018 at 23:00.
03-07-2018, 23:05   #27
mrsoundie

I was outside a few minutes ago to lock up the car and it is still very warm.
03-07-2018, 23:12   #28
Rougies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoundie View Post
I was outside a few minutes ago to lock up the car and it is still very warm.

Are you a golfer by any chance?
Thanks from:
03-07-2018, 23:20   #29
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donegal Storm View Post
My best guess is that the station was previously on what is now a car park here

Looks like a terrible location for a station but it matches up with the thumbnail image

https://goo.gl/maps/UaFjjvL7Amy

OSI imagery from 2005 shows it was still grass then but has since been paved over.
Well that seems to sort the thumbnail bit out, but we still don't know where it is now. Not sure why Met Éireann have the coordinates up at that bus stop near the terminal.
04-07-2018, 00:04   #30
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rougies View Post
I think you've found the anemometer site. As discussed on the other thread, there is no anemometer tower at the carpark site (tower must be 10m tall and there's no shadow), and often the anemometer is at a different location to the rest of the instruments. There doesn't seem to be any other instrument housings here, you would probably clearly see the white box of the stevenson's screen.
Anemometer location for shannon airport shown on map at following link c. 1979

Do not see weather station site indicated ...

http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/shannon042.pdf
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion