Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-09-2019, 20:29   #46
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akabusi View Post
I was drinking in one of the pubs where the Guinness is always good and this discussion came up, one of the regulars there told me that the Guinness lorry driver told him that this pub is the only pub in the locality that gets regular deliveries of Guinness and there is one pub that he hadn't delivered to in about 2 years.
Wholesalers. Not everyone buys from Diageo. My local back home buys all their kegs from one place - elderly couple who ran it until they passed away would not have been interested in the admin of dealing with Diageo, C&C and Heineken Ireland for an extremely limited volume of kegs. Their son runs it remotely now trusting a long-term barwoman to manage day to day and she has a hell of a lot to do so the same advantage would apply.

You're talking about a clearly rural area, its probably the exact same. One person to call for kegs, one invoice = much easier for a small pub.

As for what happens to waste in James Gate - down the drains.
Advertisement
04-02-2020, 17:43   #47
Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I just don't go near the big-brand, bland beers. They're awful. Just different shades of bland, ****e. Alot of pubs haven't caught up with the times and they still only serve Heinekken, Budweiser, Carlsberg etc (the Katie Perry's and Justin Biebers of beer). All of them taste like muck - and I avoid bars that don't make an effeort.

However, if you go in to a large enough Tesco who would be more congnisant of the changing times when it comes to beer/food consumption, they have a range of craft beers. If you also go in to Malloys off-licence, , O'Briens, or most good off-licences, you'll find a great selection of craft beers. Something with actual taste.

No everything is great but if you go in and get a selection of craft beers, it's nice to try out the different ones and find what suits you. I happen to like really hoppy IPA's and each brewer has their own style.
Thanks from:
04-02-2020, 17:58   #48
Brendan Bendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquoise Hexagon Sun View Post
I just don't go near the big-brand, bland beers. They're awful. Just different shades of bland, ****e. Alot of pubs haven't caught up with the times and they still only serve Heinekken, Budweiser, Carlsberg etc (the Katie Perry's and Justin Biebers of beer). All of them taste like muck - and I avoid bars that don't make an effeort.

However, if you go in to a large enough Tesco who would be more congnisant of the changing times when it comes to beer/food consumption, they have a range of craft beers. If you also go in to Malloys off-licence, , O'Briens, or most good off-licences, you'll find a great selection of craft beers. Something with actual taste.

No everything is great but if you go in and get a selection of craft beers, it's nice to try out the different ones and find what suits you. I happen to like really hoppy IPA's and each brewer has their own style.
They are too dear,dude, need to be chopped back to managable prices.

Like the publicicans, they want to screw the drinker.

Back of story , send out good beer at a reasonable price and people will drink it.

Otherwise don’t try to piss down our necks.

We have been ridden for long enough.
04-02-2020, 18:13   #49
Turquoise Hexagon Sun

They are more expensive but I don't drink them like I used to drink the likes of Heineken. A good IPA could be 8% and drinking 6 wouldn't be the same as drinking 6 Heineken. I know that seems obvious but also with flavour too. I find good IPA's to more rich and I can enjoy them slower.

If I'm staying in, I can drink from around 21:00/22:00 to about 01:00 and drink slowly 3 or €9, 8% craft beers. I'll get toasty from it, not drunk, and enjoy the flavour and taste. I think that's good value for under €10.

Yes, those beers are more expensive but better value as usually have a higher alcohol content. The larger companies usually brew around 4.3% which is probably just some point where it's under some tax threshold to keep the price of brewing/importing down while charging as much as they can get away with.
Thanks from:
04-02-2020, 18:27   #50
elperello

I agree with you about the IPAs.

I love that hoppy taste.

Disagree that Heineken, Carlsberg and Bud are muck. They are entirely palatable and offer an acceptable drinking experience for most drinkers.

If you really mean you don't like them well fair enough don't drink them.

Also comparing home drinking with pub drinking is a bit unfair. The pub is offering a service and has overheads to cover.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-02-2020, 18:55   #51
Brendan Bendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elperello View Post
I agree with you about the IPAs.

I love that hoppy taste.

Disagree that Heineken, Carlsberg and Bud are muck. They are entirely palatable and offer an acceptable drinking experience for most drinkers.

If you really mean you don't like them well fair enough don't drink them.

Also comparing home drinking with pub drinking is a bit unfair. The pub is offering a service and has overheads to cover.
As opposed to over €5.50 for a .330. bottle versus €1.20.

Service ain’t that good, dude.

Nowhere near.

Time to put that crap to bed.
04-02-2020, 19:08   #52
elperello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Bendar View Post
As opposed to over €5.50 for a .330. bottle versus €1.20.

Service ain’t that good, dude.

Nowhere near.

Time to put that crap to bed.
Read my post again.

I'm not supporting every price point in pubs just stating the obvious.
If you buy a bottle in Tesco's take it home and drink it, it's your chair, heat and light, Sky Sports etc. etc.

Above all it's your choice.

Go to the pub or stay at home.
04-02-2020, 20:04   #53
Brendan Bendar

Quote:
Read my post again.

I'm not supporting every price point in pubs just stating the obvious.
If you buy a bottle in Tesco's take it home and drink it, it's your chair, heat and light, Sky Sports etc. etc.

Above all it's your choice.

Go to the pub or stay at home.
I read it.

My point is that the price difference between the price of a .330 btl in a pub and a home consumption does not compare.

Nowhere even remotely near
Sorry bout that chief.
04-02-2020, 20:22   #54
elperello

Quote:
I read it.

My point is that the price difference between the price of a .330 btl in a pub and a home consumption does not compare.

Nowhere even remotely near
Sorry bout that chief.
Next time you go to a pub belly up to the bar decorate the mahogany enjoy your drink and relax.

You can have a nice bottle at home anytime, going to the pub is a different type of experience.
Advertisement
04-02-2020, 20:38   #55
Brendan Bendar

Quote:
Next time you go to a pub belly up to the bar decorate the mahogany enjoy your drink and relax.

You can have a nice bottle at home anytime, going to the pub is a different type of experience.
Indeed.... indeed..... but not worth €4 eurons a pop, if you don’t mind me pointing out.

A plate-faced barman with ‘surly’ etched on his chops and a rancid customer talking through his nose about how ‘Liverpewell’ is the best ‘teyyam’ ever doesn’t do it for this poster, but...each to his own as they say.

Live and let live.
04-02-2020, 20:45   #56
elperello

Quote:
Indeed.... indeed..... but not worth €4 eurons a pop, if you don’t mind me pointing out.

A plate-faced barman with ‘surly’ etched on his chops and a rancid customer talking through his nose about how ‘Liverpewell’ is the best ‘teyyam’ ever doesn’t do it for this poster, but...each to his own as they say.

Live and let live.
You're going to the wrong pub.
Find the right one and you will never look back.
Or alternatively stay at home.
04-02-2020, 22:24   #57
Brendan Bendar

Quote:
You're going to the wrong pub.
Find the right one and you will never look back.
Or alternatively stay at home.
That’s exactly what I will do.

No pub I have ever been in justifies getting robbed legally.

Sorry bout that, a chara, but I know when I am being robbed.

Horsing out a score for four buidéals I could buy for quarter that elsewhere!!

Brenner knows when some dude hand rods him
11-02-2020, 18:27   #58
ByeByeGTI2020

No it's nice
11-02-2020, 18:32   #59
mcdaids69

alot of people ive chatted to have said alot of the tap beers are giving them stomoch problems next day..i found same myself.changed beers,have drank every type to know what gives me hangover and i dont drink in excess but somehow it seems to be st james products,guinness went very bad but i assumed it was ingredients change as vegans complained
11-02-2020, 18:43   #60
elperello

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdaids69 View Post
alot of people ive chatted to have said alot of the tap beers are giving them stomoch problems next day..i found same myself.changed beers,have drank every type to know what gives me hangover and i dont drink in excess but somehow it seems to be st james products,guinness went very bad but i assumed it was ingredients change as vegans complained
That's interesting.

It's hard to know what is affecting people if you don't know how much they have drunk, have they eaten food before or after drinking, general state of health etc.

Did your friends find the non Guinness (Diageo) beers were less problematic?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion