Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Is beer in Ireland bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Akabusi

From someone that knows the industry very well, and managed numerous pubs in my time, you are talking complete and utter nonsense and to be frank embarrassing yourself. You think Diageo, with an annual turnover of around €15 billion, are going around diverting Guinness for pig feed (complete ****e) into pubs.... Unbelievable. Really and truly unbelievable.

Calm yourself down and less with the "your embarrassing yourself" - I never said nor think that Diageo where diverting Guinness to anywhere.

There is a secondary market for kegs.

I passed on what some people around my locality are saying about where these kegs are comings from. I accept that it may be utter rubbish and directly asked if anyone thought there was any truth to it?

It would be nice to know:
    If there is leftover/waste from the brewing process in St James gate?
    If there is, what happens to it?

As some one else said, it maybe this secondary market for kegs are just what is unused after concerts/festivals etc. Either way the quality of this drink is terrible and I think some pubs (not all) in my region (Cavan/Longford/Leitrim) are buying these kegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Secondary kegs? Ah here. They would have a shelf life of a few months so anything unused goes back and out to the pubs like any other stock.

I'm telling you there are guys going around selling kegs out of the back of vans. I live close to a pub and have often seen kegs being delivered to this pub from a van.

Where could they be coming from?

Akabusi wrote: »
    I'm telling you there are guys going around selling kegs out of the back of vans. I live close to a pub and have often seen kegs being delivered to this pub from a van.

Craft breweries maybe? Not big operations. I'm just speculating.

Thanks, its obviously not a widespread practice, I guess it can be added to the cattle smuggling, washed diesel and dodgy petrol that also comes with the territory of living in a border county.

• Advertisement

Thanks, its obviously not a widespread practice, I guess it can be added to the cattle smuggling, washed diesel and dodgy petrol that also comes with the territory of living in a border county.

I think you're making an assumption that just because the kegs are being delivered by a van that they are automatically dodgy.

That may not be the case, as I posited with the example of a small, craft brewery. Possibly a one man band. A perfectly legitimate business. They're not going to be making big deliveries of large numbers of kegs in trucks.

I think you're making an assumption that just because the kegs are being delivered by a van that they are automatically dodgy.

That may not be the case, as I posited with the example of a small, craft brewery. Possibly a one man band. A perfectly legitimate business. They're not going to be making big deliveries of large numbers of kegs in trucks.

This pub does not sell any craft beer - Guinness, Smithwicks, Heineken and i think maybe Coors Light on draft. That would be the standard enough offering for all the pubs around me. The majority of the locals would never have tasted a craft beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Nicked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Nicked?

This is more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jt69er

A lot of small pubs buy their kegs from a wholesaler because, for whatever reason, these pubs don't buy direct from the brewery, hence the "white van deliveries".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jt69er

Calm yourself down and less with the "your embarrassing yourself" - I never said nor think that Diageo where diverting Guinness to anywhere.

There is a secondary market for kegs.

I passed on what some people around my locality are saying about where these kegs are comings from. I accept that it may be utter rubbish and directly asked if anyone thought there was any truth to it?

It would be nice to know:
    If there is leftover/waste from the brewing process in St James gate?
    If there is, what happens to it?

As some one else said, it maybe this secondary market for kegs are just what is unused after concerts/festivals etc. Either way the quality of this drink is terrible and I think some pubs (not all) in my region (Cavan/Longford/Leitrim) are buying these kegs.

Any faulty kegs returned to any Brewery go through a process to determine exact cause of fault,eg keg hardware or product.Out of date kegs or returns from festivals/concerts are dumped rather than risking the reputation of a multinational company for a couple of hundred euro.

Wholesaler or nicked would explain it. Would the Guinnes be consistently good in your locals? I have to say whenever I drink down the country in what you'd term real Guinness pubs it is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Stubility

I recommend O'Hara's, Galway Bay, Kinnegar, McGargle's and Galway Hooker

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This pub does not sell any craft beer - Guinness, Smithwicks, Heineken and i think maybe Coors Light on draft. That would be the standard enough offering for all the pubs around me. The majority of the locals would never have tasted a craft beer.

Couldn’t afford it, either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was drinking in one of the pubs where the Guinness is always good and this discussion came up, one of the regulars there told me that the Guinness lorry driver told him that this pub is the only pub in the locality that gets regular deliveries of Guinness and there is one pub that he hadn't delivered to in about 2 years.

Wholesalers. Not everyone buys from Diageo. My local back home buys all their kegs from one place - elderly couple who ran it until they passed away would not have been interested in the admin of dealing with Diageo, C&C and Heineken Ireland for an extremely limited volume of kegs. Their son runs it remotely now trusting a long-term barwoman to manage day to day and she has a hell of a lot to do so the same advantage would apply.

You're talking about a clearly rural area, its probably the exact same. One person to call for kegs, one invoice = much easier for a small pub.

As for what happens to waste in James Gate - down the drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I just don't go near the big-brand, bland beers. They're awful. Just different shades of bland, ****e. Alot of pubs haven't caught up with the times and they still only serve Heinekken, Budweiser, Carlsberg etc (the Katie Perry's and Justin Biebers of beer). All of them taste like muck - and I avoid bars that don't make an effeort.

However, if you go in to a large enough Tesco who would be more congnisant of the changing times when it comes to beer/food consumption, they have a range of craft beers. If you also go in to Malloys off-licence, , O'Briens, or most good off-licences, you'll find a great selection of craft beers. Something with actual taste.

No everything is great but if you go in and get a selection of craft beers, it's nice to try out the different ones and find what suits you. I happen to like really hoppy IPA's and each brewer has their own style.

I just don't go near the big-brand, bland beers. They're awful. Just different shades of bland, ****e. Alot of pubs haven't caught up with the times and they still only serve Heinekken, Budweiser, Carlsberg etc (the Katie Perry's and Justin Biebers of beer). All of them taste like muck - and I avoid bars that don't make an effeort.

However, if you go in to a large enough Tesco who would be more congnisant of the changing times when it comes to beer/food consumption, they have a range of craft beers. If you also go in to Malloys off-licence, , O'Briens, or most good off-licences, you'll find a great selection of craft beers. Something with actual taste.

No everything is great but if you go in and get a selection of craft beers, it's nice to try out the different ones and find what suits you. I happen to like really hoppy IPA's and each brewer has their own style.

They are too dear,dude, need to be chopped back to managable prices.

Like the publicicans, they want to screw the drinker.

Back of story , send out good beer at a reasonable price and people will drink it.

Otherwise don’t try to piss down our necks.

We have been ridden for long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

They are more expensive but I don't drink them like I used to drink the likes of Heineken. A good IPA could be 8% and drinking 6 wouldn't be the same as drinking 6 Heineken. I know that seems obvious but also with flavour too. I find good IPA's to more rich and I can enjoy them slower.

If I'm staying in, I can drink from around 21:00/22:00 to about 01:00 and drink slowly 3 or €9, 8% craft beers. I'll get toasty from it, not drunk, and enjoy the flavour and taste. I think that's good value for under €10.

Yes, those beers are more expensive but better value as usually have a higher alcohol content. The larger companies usually brew around 4.3% which is probably just some point where it's under some tax threshold to keep the price of brewing/importing down while charging as much as they can get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I agree with you about the IPAs.

I love that hoppy taste.

Disagree that Heineken, Carlsberg and Bud are muck. They are entirely palatable and offer an acceptable drinking experience for most drinkers.

If you really mean you don't like them well fair enough don't drink them.

Also comparing home drinking with pub drinking is a bit unfair. The pub is offering a service and has overheads to cover.

elperello wrote: »
    I agree with you about the IPAs.

I love that hoppy taste.

Disagree that Heineken, Carlsberg and Bud are muck. They are entirely palatable and offer an acceptable drinking experience for most drinkers.

If you really mean you don't like them well fair enough don't drink them.

Also comparing home drinking with pub drinking is a bit unfair. The pub is offering a service and has overheads to cover.

As opposed to over €5.50 for a .330. bottle versus €1.20.

Service ain’t that good, dude.

Nowhere near.

Time to put that crap to bed.

• Advertisement

As opposed to over €5.50 for a .330. bottle versus €1.20.

Service ain’t that good, dude.

Nowhere near.

Time to put that crap to bed.

Read my post again.

I'm not supporting every price point in pubs just stating the obvious.
    If you buy a bottle in Tesco's take it home and drink it, it's your chair, heat and light, Sky Sports etc. etc.

Above all it's your choice.

Go to the pub or stay at home.

Read my post again.

I'm not supporting every price point in pubs just stating the obvious.
    If you buy a bottle in Tesco's take it home and drink it, it's your chair, heat and light, Sky Sports etc. etc.

Above all it's your choice.

Go to the pub or stay at home.

I read it.

My point is that the price difference between the price of a .330 btl in a pub and a home consumption does not compare.

Nowhere even remotely near
    Sorry bout that chief.

I read it.

My point is that the price difference between the price of a .330 btl in a pub and a home consumption does not compare.

Nowhere even remotely near
    Sorry bout that chief.

Next time you go to a pub belly up to the bar decorate the mahogany enjoy your drink and relax.

You can have a nice bottle at home anytime, going to the pub is a different type of experience.

Next time you go to a pub belly up to the bar decorate the mahogany enjoy your drink and relax.

You can have a nice bottle at home anytime, going to the pub is a different type of experience.

Indeed.... indeed..... but not worth €4 eurons a pop, if you don’t mind me pointing out.

A plate-faced barman with ‘surly’ etched on his chops and a rancid customer talking through his nose about how ‘Liverpewell’ is the best ‘teyyam’ ever doesn’t do it for this poster, but...each to his own as they say.

Live and let live.

Indeed.... indeed..... but not worth €4 eurons a pop, if you don’t mind me pointing out.

A plate-faced barman with ‘surly’ etched on his chops and a rancid customer talking through his nose about how ‘Liverpewell’ is the best ‘teyyam’ ever doesn’t do it for this poster, but...each to his own as they say.

Live and let live.

You're going to the wrong pub.
    Find the right one and you will never look back.
    Or alternatively stay at home.

You're going to the wrong pub.
    Find the right one and you will never look back.
    Or alternatively stay at home.

That’s exactly what I will do.

No pub I have ever been in justifies getting robbed legally.

Sorry bout that, a chara, but I know when I am being robbed.

Horsing out a score for four buidéals I could buy for quarter that elsewhere!!

Brenner knows when some dude hand rods him:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ByeByeGTI2020

No it's nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mcdaids69

alot of people ive chatted to have said alot of the tap beers are giving them stomoch problems next day..i found same myself.changed beers,have drank every type to know what gives me hangover and i dont drink in excess but somehow it seems to be st james products,guinness went very bad but i assumed it was ingredients change as vegans complained

mcdaids69 wrote: »
    alot of people ive chatted to have said alot of the tap beers are giving them stomoch problems next day..i found same myself.changed beers,have drank every type to know what gives me hangover and i dont drink in excess but somehow it seems to be st james products,guinness went very bad but i assumed it was ingredients change as vegans complained

That's interesting.

It's hard to know what is affecting people if you don't know how much they have drunk, have they eaten food before or after drinking, general state of health etc.

Did your friends find the non Guinness (Diageo) beers were less problematic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭saabsaab

mcdaids69 wrote: »

I have recently found the same stomach problems after a few beers. Didn't happen a few years ago but now after just 3 or 4?
    I had put it down to age or maybe a bad pint.
    Perhaps my choice of beer is not drunk as much and the line is a bit old?

Advertisement