Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

jds0ur wrote: »
    Any reports from Dundalk / Drogheda?

4qbrq.png

Contact was lost 30 minutes ago.

Little bit of snow falling in Waterford City now.

Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

4qbrq.png
    Reports from there an hour or so back were 'snizzle' the radar hasn't changed much, it'll picK up a bit later but late night/tomorrow is when the fun will start!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

4qbrq.png

It's been handfuls of tiny flakes from around 10AM, nothing even close to a shower and nothing sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

_Brian wrote: »
    Many of the app forecasts seem to be peddling back on the snow, and reducing the time window it will be about.
    Is this the general feeling from people watching the charts ??

It’s not really due to kick off until tomorrow, Tuesday evening ....... I wouldn’t pay too much attention to any of the apps as they really just give averages from the information that they pull from whichever chart they are using

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Still not a molecule of snow in Mulhuddart.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TwoCats

Nothing at all falling this side of Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Chrongen wrote: »
    Still not a molecule of snow in Mulhuddart.

There have been flakes on the wind all day in clonsilla. There is right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Just tiny flakes falling all day in Blanchardstown. Bit disappointing so far

Given that nothing was supposed to happen until tomorrow can’t see the disappointment myself.

And the small flakes are what you want. That’s dry snow. You just need lots of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

But that's exactly what was forecast??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

Spitting graupel the last hour in Celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Definite "Diamond dust" falling in Maynooth now...... hope it's not too bad before I get on the road for Sligo at 6 bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Any predictions on when the schools will close? I want to prepare for the kids.

Friday. Maybe Thursday but looking like definitely Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm having real trouble filtering out sarcasm from honesty on this thread :D

This is like going to see a movie in the cinema and halfway through the trailers declaring that it's a bit of an anticlimax.

We're lucky to see anything falling from the sky for the next 24 hours.

Also encountering cynicism in work. All the "Sure, they say these things, but Dublin gets a bit of dust that's gone by the time you get to work". This event might put some manners on people who felt "let down" by the Ophelia warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 vdriver

Just a little taste. http://brasov-live.flashnet.ro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

aidanodr wrote: »
    Just to say guys ... been out and about round cork city and surrounds today at clients etc. The general attitude for some bizarre reason amongst those i talk to re the up coming weather event is YEAH SURE. The amount of cynicism is unreal. ALL thinking this is just being built up out of proportion and many dont believe a word of it.

YET I was in and around a few Dunnes Stores, Tesco's and strangely they are all doing a brisk trade with many shelves empty. Also coal merchants are booming, my wife had to Q, which is not usual where she goes.

So my thought is in public people seem to be saying ah yeah sure, but at the same time stocking up big time. Whats that all about?? Why be like that? Why not take the warnings, prepare, and then just be actually delighted IF THE EVENT Doesnt happen or is not as bad as thought.

Its just pure cynisism and fck you jack me fein society we now have ..

Maybe it's a Cork thing, I notice a lot of posters here from Cork are always very cynical about the prospect of snow there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

SNOW SNOW I see snow 😂😂😂 what to build a snow man??

**not real snow (yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

at roughly 4pm i counted 15 grains of snizzle in Kilkenny city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Can’t wait for snowmageddon to hit dublin! The waiting game now. Just spoke to my friend in London and he said no snow over there yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Current down in the sticks in Wicklow. No Snow yet.

Temp 1.1 °C
    Feels Like -1.1 °C
    4.3 km/h Wind from ESE
    Gusts 7.9 km/h
    Dew Point: -6 °C
    Humidity: 61%
    Precip Rate: 0 mm/hr
    Precip Accum: 0 mm
    Pressure: 1026.3 hPa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Have a friend in Sheffield in the UK, he has reported quite a bit of sticking dry snow already

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temperature 2.2c and RH 64% here in West Clare, meaning a DP of -4c and wet bulb just below 0c. If only there were showers!

It's quite cloudy here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

People battering each other out of the way for parking spots in Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt at midday today. Drove around for fifteen minutes, then gave up. The news has filtered through to the masses. Post count on boards snow threads hotted up too:

gKG5Ee8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Maybe it's a Cork thing, I notice a lot of posters here from Cork are always very cynical about the prospect of snow there.

Yeah .. because I remember after Ophelia whipped through the city, it hit us direct, full on, with mainly damage to trees etc .. even then the attitude towards the RED alert was fck that, what was that all about, not needed.

But yet it kept people of the streets and at home which did reduce injury and death big time. Of course they are not thinking of that.

Instead the thought process is ME FEIN ..

"Once an event doesnt effect ME then whats it all about".
    "It did nothing to ME, it cost ME nothing so why was there a red alert interfering in my life ffs"

Me me me .. its all about me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

seamus wrote: »
    Also encountering cynicism in work. All the "Sure, they say these things, but Dublin gets a bit of dust that's gone by the time you get to work". This event might put some manners on people who felt "let down" by the Ophelia warnings.

Have had exactly the same reaction from a few mates, who cite the time I was shouting from the rooftops that Ophelia was going to be serious to cancel plans etc. yet there were very little effects seen in Dublin.

Hopefully this one means they will take heed of the warnings in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Vxlks wrote: »
    Does anybody honestly think school in dublin will be cancelled? or is the 6cm on tuesday night not enough?

Possibly, that 6cm might be more like 10cm + in a few places by Wednesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Seems to be some cross posts from this forum

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/406

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

aidanodr wrote: »
    Yeah .. because I remember after Ophelia whipped through the city with mainly damage to trees etc the attitude towards the RED alert was fck that, what was that all about, not needed.

But yet it kept people of the streets and at home which did reduce injury and death big time. Of course they are not thinking of that.

Instead the thought process is ME FEIN ..

"Once an event doesnt effect me then whats it all about".
    "It did nothing to me, it cost me nothing so why was there a red alert ffs"

Me me me .. its all about me

Meh I think thats a Cork attitude thing (generalisation sure but it doesn't mean everybody obvisiouly). Ophelia hit us bad down here in Cork, no doubt.

As for snow, I think its because its been so long since we have had settled snow down here in the City (haven't even had enough to make a small snowball in years) that when snow is predicted people just say not gonna happen. Hopefully this one will happen, its been too long and we are well overdue some nice snow here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon airport TAF mentioning a possibility of snow showers from 4pm tomorrow....yeahhhh :)

PROB 30 TEMPO 2716-2718 5000 -SHSN

Dublin will have occasionally snow showers from 2pm

TEMPO 2714-2718 3000 -SHSN

Cork has a possibility overnight and again from 3pm
    PROB 30
    TEMPO 2700→2708 5000 -SHSN SCT018CB
    PROB30
    TEMPO 2715→2718 5000 -SHSN SCT018CB

And again, a chance for Knock from 3pm
    PROB30
    TEMPO 2715→2718 4000 -SHSN

Being honest, I'd be surprised if they were that widespread by tomorrow, wasn't expecting that until Wednesday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement