Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What MPG are you getting from your vehicle?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

colm_mcm wrote: »
    At constant motorway speed, does eco mode actually do much then?

Reckon it does

one thing I notice it does is the air conditioning goes in bursts probably to save energy

A/C in eco mode is well down , I drive in eco all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

OK for a 3 litre

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Cement mixer?

143M V8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Car99 wrote: »
    143M V8

Scania beautiful sound from the V8 especially on open pipes, lovely!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

Drove from Tuam, Galway to Dublin yesterday evening, via 70km R roads @ 70km/h, 130km motorway @ 120km/h.

330e which I had fully charged before leaving and can do up to 18km on that charge. Cost me about €1.00 on standard rate electricity.

Petrol engine did 5.3l/100km (53mpg in old money), so cost about €16 in petrol, plus €1 electric. Not bad for 250bhp IMO.

With no charge, it would have been around 6.7 - 7.2 l/100km, or about €20-22.

Say €4 per journey, twice per week, saves €400 per year potentially, but I'm not that disciplind in plugging it in if I'm honest. Around town, savings are more like 70% vs petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭maddness

OK for a 3 litre

A 530d?. We’re you driving downhill?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

maddness wrote: »

330d and no :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

maddness wrote: »

He was being towed.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    He was being towed.

VG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭maddness

330d and no :)

That’s seriously impressive so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I went fairly handy and did 3 hours 49 minutes 312km 43.6mpg this morning. About an hour of 120 motorway then mixed 100km with reductions for villages etc.. followed every speed limit trying to see mpg

Tried eco mode a few times but never really saved much on it +1km here or there so went back into comfort.

It puts it into neutral while you are coasting rather than engine braking so that's probably where a lot of gains could be made

335d. Will see if the way home is downhill but the weather was very bad this morning anyway so won't be a fair comparison

I went fairly handy and did 3 hours 49 minutes 312km 43.6mpg this morning. About an hour of 120 motorway then mixed 100km with reductions for villages etc.. followed every speed limit trying to see mpg

Tried eco mode a few times but never really saved much on it +1km here or there so went back into comfort.

It puts it into neutral while you are coasting rather than engine braking so that's probably where a lot of gains could be made

335d. Will see if the way home is downhill but the weather was very bad this morning anyway so won't be a fair comparison

Engine braking provided the rpm is above about 1200rpm uses no fuel at all, coasting in neutral uses fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've a right mixed bag in the Leon (184PS diesel). The best I've gotten was 4.1l/100km driving like a saint from Cork to Longford (motorway to Portlaoise, cross country after that), the worst I've gotten was 7.5l/100km (two days driving a course car in a rally). It's typically 5.2l/100km day to day (20 minutes to work). I leave the car set-up with the engine turned up full. I spend time messing with putting it normal and eco modes and they saved nothing. Eco actually burned more fuel as it REALLY killed the engine performance (so was driving with wider throttle openings to compensate).

There's a '11 140PS diesel Octavia at home and over one 200km gentle spin around West Cork it got 3.9l/100km. That typically gets 4.3l/100km.

The Ducato based camper is a funny one. Driving here in Ireland I get 10.5l/100km, no matter if it's gentle or hard. Pegging it down the Autobahn on German high cetane diesel I get 9l/100km. Running it on proper diesel makes it run a LOT more economical with extra pep in its step also. Funny that......

ianobrien wrote: »
    I've a right mixed bag in the Leon (184PS diesel). The best I've gotten was 4.1l/100km driving like a saint from Cork to Longford (motorway to Portlaoise, cross country after that), the worst I've gotten was 7.5l/100km (two days driving a course car in a rally). It's typically 5.2l/100km day to day (20 minutes to work). I leave the car set-up with the engine turned up full. I spend time messing with putting it normal and eco modes and they saved nothing. Eco actually burned more fuel as it REALLY killed the engine performance (so was driving with wider throttle openings to compensate).

There's a '11 140PS diesel Octavia at home and over one 200km gentle spin around West Cork it got 3.9l/100km. That typically gets 4.3l/100km.

The Ducato based camper is a funny one. Driving here in Ireland I get 10.5l/100km, no matter if it's gentle or hard. Pegging it down the Autobahn on German high cetane diesel I get 9l/100km. Running it on proper diesel makes it run a LOT more economical with extra pep in its step also. Funny that......

Try millers diesel additive in the Ducato, after a few goes you'll notice a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Had a 250 KM trip in my GFs Suzuki SX4 S-Cross the weekend, its a 1.0 litre 3 cylinder from 2018

45MPG @ 120KM/H

50MPG @ 100KM/H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

About 70mpg on a 330e...Always charge at home and mostly can charge in work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭jmreire

2014 MB E class 220, 8.2 Ltrs / 100 Klms. Actual fill to fill calculation, but with a mixture of driving...with lots of hilly and back road driving, and occasionally pulling a trailer included. On board computer gives me silly 5.5 averages at times.

Very good for a non clattering diesel comfort bus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Mines the PHEV, its a 2 litre petrol with electic engine :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

according to the trip computer in my 2012 1.2TSi octavia, i've averaged 5.4l/100km for the last 3k km.

i usually stick to about 95-100km/h when on the motorway and it'd usually manage about 5l/100km in those circumstances.

Yup that's what i meant, lovely big bus to be getting that MPG and not being an noisy diesel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

2006 Volvo S40 1.6 petrol, driving it in eco mode 99% of the time.

I seem to always get 7.2-8 litres per 100 km. Or 35-40mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

Average 7.7l/100km in a 2012 diesel avensis mix of city and N road driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Swapped out my 3.2 Volvo XC70 AWD (which was averaging about 11-12l/100kms

To a Saab 9-3 2.0T sports wagon which is averaging 7.5 l/100kms while having plenty of power !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

were you towing boats in the volvo?

maybe there was a leak in the fuel tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

No no it was just the Volvo, I was running it on 87 and it recommended 89/91, maybe that was the issue. But a heavy AWD 3.2 N/A engine is gonna be bad 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

5.4 l/100km over the past 6 months. Opel Grandland. Mostly local driving at that,

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭galson

5.5l/100km in Skoda Fabia Estate 2010 (1.2 engine)

8.7l/100km in Renault Scenic 2007 (1.4 engine)

Don't know why the difference is so big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I have a 2013 Ford Focus 1.6 diesel. I average 4.8 - 4.9 litres per 100 kilometres mostly driving on horrendous West Offaly roads. It feels like I am in a different country when I cross the border into Westmeath or drive on the Motorway.

Advertisement