Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gun: Maverick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Gatling wrote: »
    Bring back Tom "Viper"Skeritt I say

He's in his mid-eighties :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

He's in his mid-eighties :D

:D:D:D:D

Can't see val appearing at all ,

After the first he made a lot of claims against cruise and said he would never work with him again.

We could get a son of iceman

I doubt ice-man would have a son, more like ice-mans ex-boyfriend :pac:

Kilmer looks really bad these days, has been battling cancer for years.

4C81806B00000578-0-image-m-6_1526933840770.jpg

Sad to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

That video is cringeworthy. I thought it was a parody.
    Never mind the video,the musical theme was the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Can't see val appearing at all ,

After the first he made a lot of claims against cruise and said he would never work with him again.

We could get a son of iceman

Really? I've never heard him say anything negative about cruise and remember hearing something about him begging for top gun 2 and to be involved acouple of years back

I remember a q and a he did on Reddit where he was very complimentary of cruise during top gun.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Would like to see Val Kilmer in something again. Last thing can remember was that Jo Nesbo based film where he seemed to be dubbed.

Would like to see Val Kilmer in something again. Last thing can remember was that Jo Nesbo based film where he seemed to be dubbed.

His cancer left him with a swollen tongue which meant that he was unable to do ADR for issues with onset audio.

I've always liked Kilmer, there are plenty of stories about him being a complete and utter scumbag on set, there is a great story from the set of The Island of Dr. Moreau when Brando got so sick of Kilmer's petty shit that in front of the cast and crew turned to Kilmer and said "You are confusing your talent with the size of your paycheck." He also refused to be on set with Tom Sizemore during Red Planet after Sizemore got so sick of Kilmer being a dick that he knocked him over, the reason that so much of the dialogue in the film sounds bad is because Kilmer refused to even say Sizemore's character name and instead would shout "hey you" and then there are the stories about Kilmer burning an A.D. with a cigarette or how Joel Schumacher got into a fight on the set of Batman Forever over the fact that Kilmer treated the crew like crap.

He was in two of my favourite films from my teenage years, The Salton Sea and Wonderland both blew me away and while I've not watched either in years I have both sitting at home ready to revisit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Maybe Penny Benjamin will show up in the opening scene whereupon it'll be revealed that she and Mav had a kid who is now a naval aviator 😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I am curious how they will handle Cruise's age in this given that he's been playing younger than his real age for the last decade at least. In the last Jack Reacher his character is described as being 40 years old. They can't really have adult sons and daughters of characters from the first film being pilots, as you might expect in a sequel like this, without it drawing attention to this. Traditionally a sequel like this would be about Maverick being a mentor to his hot headed son, but somehow I don't see them doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Dunno about Tom, but they'll have trouble making people believe Iceman is younger than he is. Unless they go the route of the Spin City episode that jumps to the future and Mike looks the same age.

I expect to see Tom Cruise as a test pilot crashing his plane near a downed spaceship where he meets Abin Sur who gives him a green ring. Since the Dark Universe seems to have flopped, he'll insert himself into the DCU

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm pretty sure he was playing a man in his mid 30s for The Mummy (complete with Russell Crowe's character calling him "young man", and a love interest in that age bracket / yoinger). He was certainly fooling nobody in that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Maybe Tom is playing Maverick's son? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It’s quite amazing really how Cruise seems ageless. Mission Impossible 6 is out next month. Looking at the trailers, he certainly has not aged the 22 (!) years since MI:1! He hasn’t got the baby face but he would still easily pass for mid-late 30’s. Most of his contemporaries from the ‘80’s and ‘90’s look like old men now (which they are I guess).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah now, he really can't pass for mid 30s anymore, The Mummy was proof of that. He looks his age; definitely a young 50-something and it's to his credit, but ain't no way he can pass for an acknowledged young character. His MI character is kept intentionally ageless so it works there,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah now, he really can't pass for mid 30s anymore, The Mummy was proof of that. He looks his age; definitely a young 50-something and it's to his credit, but ain't no way he can pass for an acknowledged young character. His MI character is kept intentionally ageless so it works there,

Well maybe 30’s is a stretch but definitely could pass for 40-ish. And it’s not surgery. Unless he’s got some spectacularly good surgeon... there’s a lot of very weird looking post-op Hollywood faces.

There is no way most of his contemporaries would be taking lead roles in the likes of the Mission Impossible series or Top Gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

MI4 was the first time that I realised he was mortal, he’s been aging quite rapidly since. It’s either The Mummy or JR2 that he’d obviously just undergone work. Would he have gone down this route had he’s career not faltered? I can’t imagine he’s happy where he is, there’s a desperation to his choices now that’s in contrast to his days with Wagner. Speaking of aging gracefully; Russel Crowe, the man seems to revel it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

He looked great until recently but he looked odd in The Mummy, like he'd had too much botox or something - he looked a lot older in that than he did in the likes of Edge of Tomorrow.

Frank Grillo (Crossbones in Capt America/Avengers) is a great example of another guy who's taken extremely good care of himself. He's about the same age as Tom Cruise.

The likes of Cruise/Pitt/Grillo - it's not about passing for 30 or 40, because they wouldn't - but it's about looking significantly better than 99% of your peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,277 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I expect to see Liam Hemsworth as Maverick Jnr :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I expect to see Liam Hemsworth as Maverick Jnr :p

Goose Jr

Considering goose left a family behind in the original

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

MI4 was the first time that I realised he was mortal, he’s been aging quite rapidly since. It’s either The Mummy or JR2 that he’d obviously just undergone work. Would he have gone down this route had he’s career not faltered? I can’t imagine he’s happy where he is, there’s a desperation to his choices now that’s in contrast to his days with Wagner. Speaking of aging gracefully; Russel Crowe, the man seems to revel it in.

Cruise had a face lift a few years ago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3447892/What-s-happened-Tom-Cruise-s-face-Twitter-goes-wild-actor-s-appearance-BAFTA-Film-Awards.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Oblivion director Joseph Kosinski is circling the sequel to the 1986 hit, which follows fighter pilots as they grapple with drone tech that is making their old style of flying obsolete....

• Registered Users Posts: 60,343 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Miles Teller will play Goose's son.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,277 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://deadline.com/2018/10/top-gun-maverick-wraps-up-casting-kara-wang-raymond-lee-jack-schumacher-1202475480/

More castings including Jennifer Connelly, Ed Harris, Jon Hamm and Glen Powell

I thought Meg Ryan might make a cameo, still could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

No Rick Rossovich?? :(

Always loved Slider in the original. Although, I think it was mainly due to Rossovich being in one of my all time favourite movies around the same time (Let's Get Harry) than the character being any great shakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Maverick Vs North Korea or China

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

https://deadline.com/2018/10/top-gun-maverick-wraps-up-casting-kara-wang-raymond-lee-jack-schumacher-1202475480/

More castings including Jennifer Connelly, Ed Harris, Jon Hamm and Glen Powell

I thought Meg Ryan might make a cameo, still could happen
    That's an older age profile than I expected. I kind of assumed they'd hang the whole thing around a younger batch of trainee pilots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

Maverick Vs North Korea or China

I'd say China might have a hand in the funding so I doubt it. Outside bet on Maverick vs. Canada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Le Bruise wrote: »
    No Rick Rossovich?? :(

Always loved Slider in the original. Although, I think it was mainly due to Rossovich being in one of my all time favourite movies around the same time (Let's Get Harry) than the character being any great shakes!
    He stinks ! :cool:

Advertisement